Nikon D2Xs

37 79552 Dec 12, 2010
d2x

12.4 Effective Megapixels: High Resolution 12.4 Effective Megapixel CMOS DX Sensor with fast 4-channel output for 4,288 x 2,848-pixel images.

Exposure Control: Programmed Auto with Flexible Program [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], Manual [M]; Exposure compensated in ?5.0 EV range in 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV steps; Auto Exposure bracketing; Number of shots: 2 to 9 frames Compensation steps: 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1 EV steps; Continuous shooting mode: Provides an amazing 5 frames per second continuous shooting at full resolution, for 21 JPEG or 15 NEF images. Wireless: WT-2A Wi-Fi transmitter (optional) Wireless connectivity using 802.11g technology is possible through this accessory with full remote camera control using new Nikon Capture 4.2 software for unparalleled creative remote and unattended photography; Top shutter speed: 1/8,000 sec.

Improved 3D Color Matrix Metering II with more refined exposure evaluation algorithms and larger database for difficult-to-meter scenes. TTL full-aperture exposure metering system: 1) D-/G-type Nikkor lenses support 3D-Color Matrix Metering II using the 1,005-pixel RGB sensor while other AF Nikkor lenses with built-in CPUs support Matrix Metering (Non-CPU lenses require manual input of lens data); 2) Center-Weighted Metering (75% of the meter's sensitivity concentrated on the 8mm dia. circle) given to 6,10 or 13mm dia. circle in center of frame, or weighting based on average of entire frame; 3) Spot Metering (3mm dia. circle, approx. 2% of entire frame); Metering position can be linked to the focus area when using Nikkor lenses with built-in CPU.

Autofocus: Multi-CAM 2000 Autofocus system provides 11-area autofocus system with group dynamic AF, close-subject priority dynamic AF, close subject in a group priority dynamic AF and Lock-On(TM) for various methods of following the fastest action.

Memory Buffer: 17 Uncompressed NEF (RAW) and 22 Fine JPGs (LARGE)

Flash: Nikon Creative Lighting System support for Nikon Speedlights SB-800, SB-600 for full i-TTL flash control with Nikon Advanced Wireless Lighting, color control, FP High-Speed Sync, Modeling flash and more!

In the Box -- Supplied Accessories: Type-B Focusing Screen, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4, Quick Charger MH-21, Body Cap, Camera Strap AN-D2X, Audio Video Cable EG-D2, USB Cable UC-E4, LCD Monitor Cover BM-3, Battery Chamber Cover BL-1, PictureProject software CD-ROM; Supplied accessories may differ by country or region.

Compatible Lenses: AF Nikkor (including AF-S, DX, VR and D-/G-type): All functions possible; D-type Manual-Focus Nikkor: All functions except autofocus and some exposure modes available; AF Nikkor other than D-/G-type: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash possible; AI-P Nikkor: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash and AF possible; Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Usable in [A] or [M] mode with Matrix-Metering, Center-Weighted and Spot metering available. Indication of aperture number after user inputs the aperture f/stop and focal length f=mm by multi-selector operation. Electronic Rangefinder usable with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.

LarryFRCGP

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tank like, fast shooter, lightning speed with AF-S lens (17-35, 28-70, 70-200). Thought F5 was the ultimate until this. Boy, every $$ worth!
Cons:
High ISO too grainy (why Nikon? Is that so tough a problem?), colour settings can be tricky

Never know what 12.3MP mean until I shot with this D2X. **Microscopic** level of details, may I say, esp using lens like 85mm f/1.4, the 3 AF-S "zoom kings" (17-35, 28-70, 70-200) or even the AIS 35mm f/1.4 (I need the DK-17M eyepiece with my ageing eyes). Colour tones and WB are superb. You can choose the colour of your own taste with the Adobe RGB mode I(portraits), II(mixed), III(nature). For me, I like RGB mode III most, perhaps ingrained by my earlier use of Fuji S2Pro.

I know if I wait on for another 6 months, I can pay less for the same camera. But heck, by now (3rd week of owning), I have racked up to 2000+ shots with this babe. Worth every $$. Thank you Nikon, surely deserves my faithfulness to your comapny since my first FG20 body in 1982.

Larry

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LarryFRCGP to your Buddy List
icevirus

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Aug 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, fast and fast, image quality, colors rendition, Wi-Fi, battery life, ergonomics, solid build, view finder, LCD size
Cons:

Awesome camera. Highly recommended.

Aug 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add icevirus to your Buddy List
andylaiphoto

Registered: May 28, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feels perfect in my hands, operates fast, image quality, feature set, battery life, LCD size, viewfinder, built like a bomb, wireless capability.
Cons:
TIFF files are slow to write, LCD can be off with color renditions, no firewire connection, poor high iso, image quality is so good it makes you realize how bad you are!

I bought this camera without hesitation. I don't usually make rocket purchases on such big items like this, but I did so with my D70 with no regrets and thought what the heck.

From the second I picked up the camera I knew I made the right decision. Feeling is believing so I won't try to explain how wonderful the ergonomics of this camera are. For the file sizes it can produce it operates surprisingly fast. Switiching between modes and settings is a breeze.

This camera inspires you (more like forces) to improve your shooting skills and attention to detail. With results like the ones from this camera it's paramount to be attentive to what you are doing.

The only real gripe I have is the horrible high ISO performance. I didn't think it would be as bad as it is and it's quite a dissappointment. Kind of denotes the fact that you can shoot 8fps in high speed crop, because if you have to shoot in low light settings for sports your images are going to need a lot of post production work. Using in camera noise reduction slows things down and drains the battery.

I have yet to experiment with the WiFi but look forward to it in the future. It's nice to know that the possibility is there.

The metering is usually spot on and the autofocus is rarely ever fooled.

In all this is without a doubt the best camera I have ever used and will last me a while despite the constant evolution in the industry. Money well spent for any who venture this route.

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add andylaiphoto to your Buddy List
boilerdoc

Registered: May 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely solid. Fast, really fast. High speed crop is a Godsend. Stunning skin tones and no noise at EI 800. Rethinking whether I need a digital back for my Contax 645 AF.
Cons:
Price but you get your $ worth on this product. Canon can't touch this!

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add boilerdoc to your Buddy List
bish0p

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Jul 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,994.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, Speed, color, buttons and options.
Cons:
Cost, for $6000 nikon capture should be included.

I have been shooting Nikon cameras for more than 20 years, two years ago I switched to the D100, and loved it. When the D2x came out I was impressed with the listed specs. I am even more impressed with the real thing. This camera is everything I wished the D100 was, fast, fast, fast did I mention fast. even at full 12.4MP it is fast. The color is better than any digital color I have seen .

It's only down side is the cost, at 6000 CND I feel nokon could have included a full version of Nikon Capture.

Jul 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bish0p to your Buddy List
slickted

Registered: Jan 27, 2004
Review Date: Jun 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This camera has a great build quality. I sold my Canon 1Ds recently, and wanted another camera. I considered a used 1Ds for less money that the Nikon, but in the end the reviews (on other sites) and the build quality and versatility won out with the Nikon. I think the handling is much better than the 1Ds... more fluid. I'm able to switch between modes and resolution and ISO much quicker.
Cons:
For some reason if I am not RIGHT ON with my focusing, the images are out of focus. I mean, I have to be extremely exacting with my focusing. I have the 2.8 17-55 DX lense (great lens) and boy is it unforgiving!

Much better price than the Canon 1Ds. Come on Canon... why is that camera SO expensive. It's a great camera, but it doesn't have to be that much money, and Nikon is proving it. I find when I have a good focus, that my files are sharper than the Canon 1Ds... much sharper. So far I love the camera, and know that it will serve me well. Buy it!

Jun 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slickted to your Buddy List
Paul Simon

Registered: Jan 9, 2003
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jun 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Responsiveness, color rendition, file size, ergonomics, viewfinder, back screen, quality/finish of th product, battery life
Cons:
Noise at high ISO similar to D70, NC to process RAW files useless on my computer (need serious computer package to fully support the camera). Battery smaller than the Canon ones, but charger way bulkier

Just like many around, I have been going the whole digital way up from the first days...Fujifilm MX700, Olympus E-10, Nikon D70...now D2X.
I have for the first time the impression that this later body is going to last for years.
I was about to bite the bullet to switch over to Canon for an Eos1d2...until the D2X came out.
And to be honest, for the use I make of a camera (candids, people, nature/landscape), the only feature I still see somehow superior on the other side is the high ISO performance (ISO 1600 noisy but somehow correctable, 3200 hardly usable to my taste), although since I bought a dream Gitzo tripod I hardly shoot above 400ISO anymore (but no I am not an indoor sport shooter).
Responsiveness is such that I can now forget completely about the camera, color rendition is fantastic, file size leaves plenty of room to crop if necessary, ergonomics is splendid (large buttons, and what a pleasure to so easily set mirror lock up, ISO or WB just to name a few), viewfinder is great (I am wearing glasses and still...), back screen and zooming capability really enables to judge the quality of the picture, battery is lasting forever (if only they could have made a smaller charger...).
I am using the body with a 12-24, 17-55, 70-200, 1.7x, and so far the results have been really up to my expectations.
Last but not least, good to think that combined with a 300 2.8 (still in my dreams though) and a 1.7x, and sturdy tripod, you can get a very decent 1020 4.5 (with high crop mode). Tempting as I always move around a lot and do not want to hand up with a 50lbs back pack.

Jun 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Paul Simon to your Buddy List
markwarta

Registered: Nov 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is the camera I have been looking for since I began photographing and processing 7 yaers ago. Detail, great colors, ease of operation, endless possibilities.
Cons:
It doesn't get me time off to go shooting.

This camera has everything, and as all Nikon equipment, it is easy and intuitive in its use.
It is a camera truly made for photographing AND the photographer.
Thank you Nikon, job well done!

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add markwarta to your Buddy List
RayG

Registered: Oct 1, 2003
Review Date: Jun 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,960.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This camera is by far Nikon's best work. The versatility and image quality has been superb.
Cons:
Why Nikon doesn't include editing software at this price (5 big ones) is beyond me---and the dealer/friend I purchased the camera from. Unless you're a big name honcho photog Nikon will do zilch to help you out. I ordered the camera in December and tried to get the camera for an extended trip to New Zealand and Australia (45 days) on which I left the states only 8 days before the "official" release of the camera. Several letters to Nikon execs didn't even merit the courtesy of a reply. I have used Nikons my whole career (over 35 years) and loyalty doesn't mean crapola to Nikon. My D-100 and D2-H images are a poor 2nd and 3rd place compared to what I would have gotten with the D2X. Thanks for nothing, Nikon!

Jun 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RayG to your Buddy List
camposmiguel

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Large file allows for tight crop with still enough quality to print.
Cons:
Can't think of anything negative about the tool.

First 500+ shots were prominently out of focus, even shots taken with the camera on a huge Bogen studio tripod with cable release using AF-S on stationary well lit subjects with plenty of contrast for locking autofocus. After Nikon adjusted the camera now focus is dead on, but images are still on the soft side.

In contrast my D2H and even my D100 give me much better results. I am sure eventually Nikon will adjust the camera properly.

Jun 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add camposmiguel to your Buddy List
nikonius

Registered: Feb 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,999.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Handling, Amazing Features, Color, Battery Life, Flexibilty. 2 cameras in one with high-sped crop mode for sports.
Cons:
1. LCD a bit Blue/Greenish. Makes skintones hard to judge on camera screen. 2. LCD cover falls off easily.

Ran the camera on full auto for about a week and it nailed it almost everytime. The few exceptions were those situations that no camera can get without some photographer guidance.

JPEGs are great. TIFF file mode takes forever to save (35 secs for 35MB TIFF with 80x lexar). RAW+JPEG speed is good.

Auto WB is good except when sensor is in different light than subject. I love that a Nikon can finally dial in the WB Kelvin temp when needed.

LCD color is not accurate! Skintones are weong.

Minor issues: 1.LCD cover falls off too easily. 2.Need enlargement ratio when zooming in on image on screen.

This is a great camera and an almost perfect evolution of the 'Nikon Handling'.

Jun 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nikonius to your Buddy List
Brainblade

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: Jun 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent picture quality, great multishot speed. Way superior to both the D1x and D100 that I have.
Cons:
It's heavy...

Jun 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brainblade to your Buddy List
Rvonmayr

Registered: Mar 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, Image quality, Responsiveness, handling quality, flexibility, High speed crop mode
Cons:
Nikon Capture requires a lot of computing horsepower to run well

The image quality from this camera compares very favorably to the Canon 1DSMII for three large less. Not a point and shoot, as others have posted. This camera will make the most of any shooting situation but will also magnify your flaws as a photgrapher more than any other tool I have used.

Tremendous quality from the camera. Handles like a dream and responds instantly when you want it to do something. High level of "cameraness" - digital unique controls are well integrated with the camera.

High ISO is better than any Nikon to date. Have used 3200 when pinched, but the need to use the built in noise reduction to high when you do that - so it trades some resolution for noise. All cameras are noisy at this ISO and the D2X noise looks far more like Film grain than any other that I have noted. I don't find it objectionable. ISO at 400 - 800 is very acceptable.

This thing is built like the proverbial fired clay outhouse. It will put up with quite a bit of abuse. Everything is solid and falls to hand. The only beef I have ergonomically is the slightly longer than expected reach to the focus area selector.

I am very happy with my decision to purchase this camera, which I spent quite a bit of time thinking about. The D100 and D1X I was using previously answered the mail for 90% of the shooting I did or wanted to do - but this tool goes to 110% - just the higher ISO capability alone has added significantly to my repetoire.

B+ level Action camera using HSC and A+ and fine art camera using the normal mode in one body. Hard to beat. Can't wait to see what they come up with next - maybe an adequate version of capture. Nah.

Jun 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rvonmayr to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great body and uses the same accessories and battery as my D2H. Produces amazing files with great dynamic range and detail. Very low noise even at high ISOs and what noise it does produce is very film grain and regular looking. High Speed Crop mode sound hokey but is very useful
Cons:
LCD display not bad, but could be better. I wish they sold them at 2 for the price of one. (ha ha)

I love my D2X. After a couple of months of using it, and several thousand actuations, I can’t think of much of anything I don’t like about it. I can’t think of any “35mm type” assignment for which I would feel “Camera Shy”.

Having said the above, I want to say that learning to love the D2X was not as easy as it was to love some of my other Nikons. I have or have had a D100, D1X, D70, D2H. I liked the D2X the first day I got it, but learning to love it was not always easy. When I first got the D2X, I thought I noticed that the AF was not the same/as good as my D2H. Now, after learning the differences between the ways the two cameras work, I think it is just as fast.

READ MY HOW TO AF WITH THE D2 BODY TIP SHEET:

I also find that the LCD screen and the histogram and highlight blinkers seem to read slightly differently on the D2X than on the D2H or my other Nikons. At first, I was very afraid that I was always burning out highlight and I constantly dialed in negative exposure compensation. The result was that, a lot of the time, I ended up underexposing the shots slightly. I think the LCD simply shows more highlight burn-out than is really in the files. I guess if I had one gripe, I would ask for a perfect LCD display, but no camera has one and I don’t like to rely on it anyway.

At first, I found that more files from the D2X looked soft on the screen than shots from my other Nikons. 8x10 prints did not look soft. I do a lot of people shots at very short DOF, and what I think I was seeing was that at the higher resolution, any focusing errors I made were emphasized. I am just very careful with my focus, when I need to be now, and not only do I not have any problems in this area, I am thrilled with the detail I am getting.

The D2X is a lot of camera. I am a pretty accomplished photographer, and it took me a while to get used to it. My D2H and D1X felt like they were melted into my brain in about a day. The D2X took longer. I think if you buy this camera and are willing to put in the effort, you will love the fruits of your labor….but most of the people I know who own it (all accomplished photographers) say the same thing; This is no point and shoot. The D2X will make you think a little.

Jun 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List
klervin

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Jun 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,999.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: From the studio to the ball field this camera shines, guess one word would be awesome
Cons:
Nothing negative enough to mention

Jun 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add klervin to your Buddy List
Joe Janek

Registered: Jun 14, 2004
Review Date: Jun 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, resolution,performance,ergonomics,built with excellent quility and awsome color...just a great camera!
Cons:
Not much you can say bad, but if anything, maybe a little less noise at higher ISO's.

Jun 2, 2005