395 1201783 Apr 18, 2017

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25  next

backfocus

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: very good from F=2.0 on, FTM
Cons:
quite soft 1.4-2.0: much CA wide open

its now my third copy of this lens. No. ! and 2 were incredible: AF was absolutely unreliable. No. 3 now is much better: AF hits perfectly in about 90 % of all shots with f=2.0.
Expect quite soft sharpness between 1.4 and 2.0. If you compare it to the EF 50/1.8 I or II, the 50/1.4 clearly wins at f=2.0. Stopped down there is not much difference.

Conclusion:

Best EF-Lens (50 mm) around f=2.0, FTM is very handy when you need to refocus.

Jan 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add backfocus to your Buddy List
tech058

Registered: Dec 24, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Wide aperture, great bokeh, sharp after f/2, USM, sturdy build
Cons:
Soft at f/1.4-1.8, focusing ring seems a bit flimsy

I like the lens, but I think I was hoping for more.

I started with an AE-1 Program and the FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC.
I loved that lens and I suppose I was hoping the EF version would perform as well.

Overall great lens. Fantastic bokeh! If you like short DOF, there aren't many lenses with such an aperature for this price.

I have a 1.6x crop on my DSLR which makes this lens appear a little tele for general use but its not bad for portraits.

Jan 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tech058 to your Buddy List
DEvianT

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Jan 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, silent, fast f/1.4 lens, very sharp. USM and full time manual focus, contrast nice. colour good, takes 58mm filters
Cons:
Not weather proofed like and L series lens other than that nothing!

This lens is fantastic. It's focus is fast and silent. It's able to take pictures in near darkness when handheld. The resulting images are comparable to those taken with an L series prime and it's a fraction of the price. The colour contrast and bokeh of the images from this lens are also fantastic. Possibly my favourite lens for street photography.

The only slight gripe is the lack of weather proofing which would have been nice to have...

My advice is go buy one now. You will not regret buting this lens!

Jan 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DEvianT to your Buddy List
3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Dec 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1.4
Cons:
non

I love this lens. Grate. 1.4 which allows me to take photos without a flash (and been notice)
Cheers,
Igor

Dec 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 3ABX03 to your Buddy List
Paulyoly

Registered: Sep 26, 2003
Review Date: Dec 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Useable @1.8, sharp past f2
Cons:
Needs ring usm, micro usm doesn't compare IMO.

First this lens is much better than the 50 1.8II. the focus is much more accurate at f1.8 than the 50 1.8II ever could hope to be. My 50 1.8II front focused wide open consistently as do many. Focus with this lens and the 20d is very accurate. There is no comparison at f1.8 between the two lenses, save yourself $70 and shell out for the 1.4. At f1.4 it is soft, but that is expected and I new that going in. I've actually got some good shots handheld at f1.6, but with the narrow! DOF I think i just got lucky. :^)

Dec 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paulyoly to your Buddy List
neliw

Registered: May 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, USM, handy in most situations
Cons:
Not L standards, "just" f/1.4, tad bit noisy

Everyone should probably have a 50mm prime in their lens lineup (just "in case") and this seems to be among the best ones around. I wouldn't turn down a L-version with better build quality, maybe f/1.2 and faster/silenter USM - but you can't have it all! Smile

Can do pretty much anything but works very well for portraits and walk-around photography. My copy is pretty sharp overall, and very sharp stopped down a bit.

Dec 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neliw to your Buddy List
ijshusky

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f1.4, sharp
Cons:

The reason I decide to get this lens for my 20D is because I have a similiar FD lens for my AE-1 Program and I find it for portrait.
This is great portrait lens especially with 1.6x field of view crop.

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ijshusky to your Buddy List
MichaD

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Nov 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp from f4, great contrast, max aperture
Cons:
soft below f2, no full time manual

Overall this is an excellent piece of glass. I really love the images it makes. Good for indoors without flash due to the max aperture although it gets quite soft wide open. f4 and up are just amazing though. Focusing is silent but no FTM and also not really lightning fast. Manual focusing feels quite flimsy as well. Should ship with a hood, c'mon Canon, who doesn't need one?

Nov 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaD to your Buddy List
dacop

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp at 2.0 and up. Great colors.
Cons:
1.4 to 2.0 should only be used if speed is what you are looking for. Don't expect sharp images in that range.

Consider the 1.4 to 2.0 range to be used for its speed rather then its sharpness. The lens will produce sharper images at 2.0 and higher.

Nov 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dacop to your Buddy List
crfrey71

Registered: Nov 13, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Extremely sharp from f2 on up, great bokeh
Cons:
slightly softer at f1.4, but barely.

This lens is extremely sharp and great for portrait shots (with my Canon Digital Rebel's 1.6X factor, it is actually an 80mm lens). This is my first lens I have used, in which I do not have to use Photoshop to sharpen an image whatsoever. Good contrast and tones, also.

Nov 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add crfrey71 to your Buddy List
Lunatique

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: Oct 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Large aperature, light.
Cons:
Soft wide open.

I have mixed feelings about this lens. Although I love it for the large aperature, which allows me to take photos without a flash even in fairly dark situations, but it's quite hard to get the right area in focus at 1.4, especially when shooting subjects that move around a lot like children or pets--you'd have to aim for the eye closest to you, and unless you have superfast reflexes, you'll miss most of the time and get something else in focus instead, like the nose, the ear, or the eyebrow. LOL

Oct 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lunatique to your Buddy List
sippinsoma

Registered: Aug 23, 2004
Review Date: Oct 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at all aperatures. USM is very quick to focus. Small lens.
Cons:
Focus ring isn't very tight. If you put both fingers on it and move it in and out from the lens (side to side, not rotating) you can feel it pulling away from the barrel. AF/MF switch is also kinda flimsy.

If I had to buy one (inexpensive) lens, this may be it.

Oct 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sippinsoma to your Buddy List
antoleon

Registered: Sep 18, 2004
Review Date: Oct 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, f1.4, useful, an every moment - all purpose lens. Pretty for portraits, and general photography. Nice colours and bokeh. Not expensive.
Cons:
Not built like a tank, not as fast as I would like -no true USM I mean.

Everything about this lens can be read in the previous posts, I agree on almost every comment. I can say it's my prefered lens, always on the camera or in my bag ready to use. You will be able to take pictures with nearly no light, plenty of coulour and details. I love this lens (and all its happy owners say the same).

Here you can see two samples:

Cheers,

Oct 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add antoleon to your Buddy List
bankroll

Registered: Feb 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $305.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Workhorse. Sharpness/color/contrast. Large aperture.
Cons:
MicroUSM instead of Ring USM. Hood is additional.

I shoot fashion/glamour style mostly and this is my most used lens. Easy focal length to work with for any kind of shot (full body to headshot). Excellent sharpness, bokeh, etc. etc. If this lens was Ring USM instead of MicroUSM it would easily be the best lens in the Canon lineup from a price/performance standpoint. I believe any photographer, no matter their shooting style or subject, should own a quality, fast 50mm prime and this certainly fits the bill.

Oct 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bankroll to your Buddy List
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Sep 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight and fantastic low light photo's.
Cons:

I used this lens this July 4th for fireworks. I used no flash, the photo's were just beautiful. I honestly could not believe the amount of photo's I got from this lens in low light.

Sep 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
Terence T

Registered: May 26, 2004
Review Date: Aug 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, lightweight, extremely sharp, great bokeh, affordable.
Cons:
Hood not included.

Managed to lay my hands on a mint used copy of this lens and I'm not letting go. My views are similar to the many already echoed here. Sharp, very sharp, great colors and contrast. Its small size and light weight means it's always automatically included in my gear bag for whatever type of shoot I'm doing. Great glass at a great price, especially if you can find a mint used copy.

It's a bit more than the 50/1.8 Mk II but in terms of build and image quality, it's lightyears ahead. Go for it!

Aug 30, 2004