386 1172026 Sep 3, 2014

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46°
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25  next

c08as2

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Feb 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $304.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, Sharp, fast, light...
Cons:
The Micro USM is a little slow, the focus just doesn't snap. It's a little too long on the 20d.

I've been very happy with this lens so far, yet I am very disappointed with the micro usm. I played around with my friend’s kit lens and was shocked at how poorly the focus is on the 50mm compared to the kit lens. On the positive note, the lens is extremely sharp and the build quality is much better than the f/1.8(for me worth the extra $200). Overall, I'm very happy with the lens and a strong recommendation to any photog.

Feb 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add c08as2 to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light and fast. Gret for portraits
Cons:
not a zoom...

Worth avery cent, and its compact light size puts it in my bag wherever I go.
Great indoor lens, and I would recomend it if you can afford it, otherise at least buy the 50 1.8II

Feb 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
tkjaer

Registered: Oct 29, 2003
Review Date: Jan 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast focus, sharp, nice contrast and colors, great bokeh, very light.
Cons:
A bit soft wide open

A very good lense for the price. It gets sharp from f1.8 (usable at f1.4 though), and delivers good color and contrast.

It's been my favourite and most used lense ever since I bought it a year and a half ago. It has switched place with a 35/1.4L now though, which has a better build, and is sharper at large apertures.

I'd love for canon to do a 1.2L version of this one though.

Jan 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tkjaer to your Buddy List
Photo_lc

Registered: Jan 4, 2005
Review Date: Jan 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $255.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast USM focus. Very sharp and uniformly sharp. Light weight. Fast f/1.4.
Cons:
A little bit over-priced.

No doubt this is a great lens. For Digital SLR users, this is a must for its F1.4 and 80mm film-equivalent focal length.

However, since I have not fully used its features (like 1.4 and FTM), I sold it to easy my financial status. I have my 50mm 1.8 metal version. The pictures I took from 50mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.8 are not quite distinguishable, for I am not using 1.4 or even 1.8 much. Also the focus speed of the 1.8 (both I or II) are nearly as fast as the 1.4 (but noiser). So for my purposes, it justifies using this 1.8 version by sacrificing a some 1.4 or FTM features. My goal, of course, is to purchase another 1.4 when I have more time to take serious photos. I don't agree that 1.8 version (I or II) front-focuses or back-focuses because I have used both. It is just a matter of a bad sample.

Jan 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Photo_lc to your Buddy List
cladnin

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, F1.4, size / weight
Cons:
Micro-USM (Loud) - external focusing

Great lens, the noise it produces due to the micro-USM isn't all that pleasing, but will have to do. Tad soft at 1.4-1.8 but that is expected.

Jan 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cladnin to your Buddy List
choiboyogg

Registered: Jun 9, 2003
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: absolutely sharp as a tack, very light weight, nice colors and contrast, great shallow depth of field, great in low light
Cons:
build quality is not so great, micro-usm is worthless. it needs true usm like its 85 f1.8 and 100 f2 couterparts.

yes the 50mm 1.8 is cheaper and a great lens but spend the extra on the 50mm 1.4 if you got the dough. although i am not absolutely thrilled about the build quality, it is much better than the 1.8.

if you have a dslr with 1.6x, its a great portrait lens.

buy it and go out and shoot all you can with it.

i guarantee that you will love it.

Jan 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add choiboyogg to your Buddy List
hyunk702

Registered: Dec 24, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $319.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lovely bokeh! This lens is great for low light conditions where you know you will be underexposed. I shoot at night alot and use this nice piece of glass if the situation warrents.
Cons:
Just get this straight, don't try to kid yourself; you will not be using this as your daily walk around lens.

Like I said, don't kid yourself into thinking you will be using this as your daily walk around lens.

You will be using this lens for portrait and in low light situations. It's absolutely the best portrait lens.

Im loving this with people shots. Anything with depth of field or wide portraits = not so hot.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hyunk702 to your Buddy List
backfocus

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: very good from F=2.0 on, FTM
Cons:
quite soft 1.4-2.0: much CA wide open

its now my third copy of this lens. No. ! and 2 were incredible: AF was absolutely unreliable. No. 3 now is much better: AF hits perfectly in about 90 % of all shots with f=2.0.
Expect quite soft sharpness between 1.4 and 2.0. If you compare it to the EF 50/1.8 I or II, the 50/1.4 clearly wins at f=2.0. Stopped down there is not much difference.

Conclusion:

Best EF-Lens (50 mm) around f=2.0, FTM is very handy when you need to refocus.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add backfocus to your Buddy List
tech058

Registered: Dec 24, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Wide aperture, great bokeh, sharp after f/2, USM, sturdy build
Cons:
Soft at f/1.4-1.8, focusing ring seems a bit flimsy

I like the lens, but I think I was hoping for more.

I started with an AE-1 Program and the FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC.
I loved that lens and I suppose I was hoping the EF version would perform as well.

Overall great lens. Fantastic bokeh! If you like short DOF, there aren't many lenses with such an aperature for this price.

I have a 1.6x crop on my DSLR which makes this lens appear a little tele for general use but its not bad for portraits.

Jan 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tech058 to your Buddy List
DEvianT

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Jan 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, silent, fast f/1.4 lens, very sharp. USM and full time manual focus, contrast nice. colour good, takes 58mm filters
Cons:
Not weather proofed like and L series lens other than that nothing!

This lens is fantastic. It's focus is fast and silent. It's able to take pictures in near darkness when handheld. The resulting images are comparable to those taken with an L series prime and it's a fraction of the price. The colour contrast and bokeh of the images from this lens are also fantastic. Possibly my favourite lens for street photography.

The only slight gripe is the lack of weather proofing which would have been nice to have...

My advice is go buy one now. You will not regret buting this lens!

Jan 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DEvianT to your Buddy List
3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Dec 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1.4
Cons:
non

I love this lens. Grate. 1.4 which allows me to take photos without a flash (and been notice)
Cheers,
Igor

Dec 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 3ABX03 to your Buddy List
Paulyoly

Registered: Sep 26, 2003
Review Date: Dec 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Useable @1.8, sharp past f2
Cons:
Needs ring usm, micro usm doesn't compare IMO.

First this lens is much better than the 50 1.8II. the focus is much more accurate at f1.8 than the 50 1.8II ever could hope to be. My 50 1.8II front focused wide open consistently as do many. Focus with this lens and the 20d is very accurate. There is no comparison at f1.8 between the two lenses, save yourself $70 and shell out for the 1.4. At f1.4 it is soft, but that is expected and I new that going in. I've actually got some good shots handheld at f1.6, but with the narrow! DOF I think i just got lucky. :^)

Dec 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paulyoly to your Buddy List
neliw

Registered: May 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, USM, handy in most situations
Cons:
Not L standards, "just" f/1.4, tad bit noisy

Everyone should probably have a 50mm prime in their lens lineup (just "in case") and this seems to be among the best ones around. I wouldn't turn down a L-version with better build quality, maybe f/1.2 and faster/silenter USM - but you can't have it all! Smile

Can do pretty much anything but works very well for portraits and walk-around photography. My copy is pretty sharp overall, and very sharp stopped down a bit.

Dec 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neliw to your Buddy List
ijshusky

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f1.4, sharp
Cons:

The reason I decide to get this lens for my 20D is because I have a similiar FD lens for my AE-1 Program and I find it for portrait.
This is great portrait lens especially with 1.6x field of view crop.

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ijshusky to your Buddy List
MichaD

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Nov 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp from f4, great contrast, max aperture
Cons:
soft below f2, no full time manual

Overall this is an excellent piece of glass. I really love the images it makes. Good for indoors without flash due to the max aperture although it gets quite soft wide open. f4 and up are just amazing though. Focusing is silent but no FTM and also not really lightning fast. Manual focusing feels quite flimsy as well. Should ship with a hood, c'mon Canon, who doesn't need one?

Nov 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaD to your Buddy List
dacop

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp at 2.0 and up. Great colors.
Cons:
1.4 to 2.0 should only be used if speed is what you are looking for. Don't expect sharp images in that range.

Consider the 1.4 to 2.0 range to be used for its speed rather then its sharpness. The lens will produce sharper images at 2.0 and higher.

Nov 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dacop to your Buddy List

386 1172026 Sep 3, 2014