387 1165586 May 15, 2014

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46°
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

amesbah

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Jun 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Low light and Bokeh
Cons:
Fragile feel and a little soft wide open

There is a lot to like about this fast lens with USM which excels in low light and DoF. The USM isnt quite the instant and silent affair you get in L lenses and its also not as consistent in hitting focus every time.

It is very light and well priced. If only Canon could build it like the 85 1.8!

Jun 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amesbah to your Buddy List
Thomas Richter

Registered: Jun 17, 2012
Review Date: Jun 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: f1.4, already usable at that aperture, nice portrait lens on the crop-body I have used up to now (40D), reliant AF, light, inexpensive
Cons:
Like many others mine had to be sent in for repair due to broken AF.

I've bought this lens in 2004 for my 10D, used it then with the 40D. Being so light it is always in my bag, and I assume that even now with the 85/1.2L II it may stay the "travel light" alternative to this. Though of course the IQ of the 85/1.2L II is in another world.
I have recently purchased a cheap 3rd party lens hood, which will hopefully help to protect the damageable AF mechanics in transportation.
However, considering the very good image quality and big aperture, together with low weight and cost, this is a highly recommendable lens for low-light, portraiture and travel.

Jun 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thomas Richter to your Buddy List
Fr3lncr

Registered: Jun 6, 2012
Review Date: Jun 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, fast lens
Cons:
Poor low light focusing

This seems to be a staple lens that you should have in your collection. Unfortunately, for my style of shooting, I rarely use it. Maybe if I had full frame I would use it more but on a crop sensor, I don't find it wide enough for when I would want to use a prime lens (again, just my style of shooting).

I don't know if it is my copy of the lens or my camera (7D), but I have trouble shooting in low light with this lens. Maybe it needs to be calibrated but it seems I'm not the only one who has had issues.

Regardless of the issues, I guess it is still a lens everyone should own as it will come in handy from time to time.

Jun 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fr3lncr to your Buddy List
hokiejimbo

Registered: Aug 24, 2008
Review Date: May 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super-fast aperture, Great sharpness, Quick to focus
Cons:
non-ring USM

Fantastic value for a great lens. I love to walk at night, and with this lens, ISO 1600 or 3200 plus center AF, you can capture about anything. I've never had a problem with the focusing mechanism and this lens has traveled the world with me... never treated it very kindly. Lens hood is always on - the size of the lens is great, as the hood doesn't make the lens too big.

May 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hokiejimbo to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: small, fast, sharp
Cons:
AF quality

Very good lens for the price. De AF quality is poor. It brokes two times.

This lens is also a little bit sharper than my 50 1.2L, but the bokeh is a lot better of my 50 1.2.

This lens is a very good upgrade for the 1.8

Look at my site for a few samples
www.totaalfotografie.nl

May 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
nswelton

Registered: Jan 16, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: none
Cons:
flow to focus, inaccurate, poor image quality, really poorly made

i hate this thing. after not very long, the lens stopped focusing. it went back to canon three or four times and eventually a tech told me to use it as a paperweight. recently the rear element FELL OUT OF THE LENS WHILE THE LENS WAS ATTACHED TO MY CAMERA!!! the glass was rattling around INSIDE THE MIRROR BOX. Total piece of junk.

Apr 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nswelton to your Buddy List
Xoa.

Registered: Apr 11, 2011
Review Date: Dec 13, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Small/Light with F1.4. Good optics at F2.0 and beyond.
Cons:
Fragile, Flimsy construction. Prone to needing repairs. Over priced. Soft wide open.

The build construction is fragile.
The focusing gets jammed up.

The body is constructed of flimsy plastic, and can jam the focusing plastic barrel parts. google: canon 50mm F1.4 repair autofocus

Optically it can take great photos. If you need a short lens that can do candid low lights on a budget, you will _really_ enjoy it for that (just understand its limitations, and baby it). AF needs some patience in low light.

If you are stepping up from a kit lens, optically it will amaze you. If you are used to L primes, you _may be_ a bit disappointed.

Personally I would not recommend this lens, primarily because of how fragile it is. Personally, I am just going to forsake AF and stick with my old manual lens.

Dec 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xoa. to your Buddy List
dimitris77

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Dec 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Small size, 1.4
Cons:
Inconsistent AF, soft wide open, bokeh with no character, overall dull rendering.

Canon seems to have dropped the ball on this one. Shame because they can make nice non L lenses like the 85mm and 50mm lenses are easy to build. The lack of consistent AF is annoying especially when the image quality isn't something to write home about.

Dec 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimitris77 to your Buddy List
teglis

Registered: Aug 31, 2004
Review Date: Oct 20, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Reasonably sharp from f/2.8 on
Cons:
Abysmal build quality; soft from f/1.4-f/2.8; lens hood not included

This lens worked fine for a few years though it seemed very soft wide open. But last year the autofocus stopped working. It could focus in one direction but not the other. I sent it to Canon, paid them to repair it, and it came back working again. Recently, however, it stopped working with exactly the same problem, and Canon makes it pretty clear that I'll have to pay again for the same repair. I have used it for less than 50 pictures in the intervening year. It always "felt cheap", but this experience has been very disappointing. I've had the Canon 85/1.8 and 135/2 primes and they have never had any problem, despite greater use.

Oct 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add teglis to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value, very sharp from f2, small and light.
Cons:
Soft wide open, OK build quality, AF not quite as fast and accurate as L primes (though much better than the 50 f1.8II in my experience).

A very good lens for the money but only usable for smallish prints wide open. Stopped down past f2 its as sharp as any L prime. Bokeh not as good as more expensive options. Build is not too bad but the micro-usm focus motor shows its age and is rumoured to be prone to failure.

Oct 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
Beverly Guhl

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jul 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, lightweight, inexpensive, handy focal length
Cons:
Autofocus hunts a little in really low light.

I've owned the 50mm 1.8 and rarely used it, but after seeing various images shot with the 1.4 (and 1.2) by other photographers, I was intrigued. I debated getting the 1.2, but since I mostly wanted a fast, lightweight prime lens to take available low light pics of my 1 y.o. granddaughter, I didn't think I needed to get a 1.2. I have the 85L (puts me too far from her) and the 35L (puts me too close to her sometimes, and I risk distortion, or she reaches up and grabs the glass)! I often need one hand free when I'm photographing her, which means I have to hold my 5DMKII in the other hand, and that gets heavy after a while (especially with the 85L on there). So, I liked that the 1.4 is so lightweight, and I figured what it would lack in "L" quality I could make up for in LR3 or Photoshop. Well, I got far more than I bargained for. I got a very sharp copy which truly blew me away. It compares to L glass wide open, and to prove it I'm posting a link to shots of my granddaughter with the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L and with this much cheaper 50mm f/1.4 (FY: both were shot at 2.0 because I prefer that aperture and bokeh for close ups of this baby.)...

Technical Disclaimer: the link below is a casual but stunning comparison just for the heck of it. Maybe it's helpful if you, like me were to say, "Gee, do I want to buy a cheap 50 1.4 to photograph babies/dogs/cats or spend $1,000 more and buy the amazing 35 1.4L ?" (Though there are a lot more considerations when choosing either lens, we know that!) Check out the link below and see for yourself just how hard it is to tell the casual $1,000 difference.

Is there anything I don't like about this lens? Well, it seems to hunt a bit in really low light. For the price this is a an amazing bang for the buck. It's so lightweight, I can toss it in my purse as a second lens and never feel a thing. And it's cheap enough if anything happens to it I'm not going to scream like I would if it were a 1.2!

Jul 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Beverly Guhl to your Buddy List
jaybrams

Registered: Jun 10, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good for low light, sharper than expected at wide apertures, light and easy to carry.
Cons:
Not particularly useful at slow apertures

I am slowly moving back to primes and faster lenses on my 50D. I bought this lens to be a versatile walk around lens and to take portraits under low light indoors without a flash. So far, I'm impressed. I have needed flash a few times when I thought the lens should handle the existing lighting, but overall, it is performing well. I find it a major improvement in build, operation, and features over my 1.8 II which is strong lens on its own. I wouldn't have upgraded if I hadn't planned to make primes the major focus of my photography from now on. Bokeh is pleasing on this lens, and it is light weight and easy to hand hold. This separated it for me from the Sigma 50/1.4 which seemed way to bulky and heavy to hold when I'm trying to get a shot handheld indoors without a flash. This lens in manufactured to work perfectly with my 50D (and all Canon bodies) and I can rest assured as bodies evolve, this lens will work for me in either crop format or FF.

May 15, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jaybrams to your Buddy List
L.J.G.

Registered: May 12, 2011
Review Date: May 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharper at f1.4 than the nifty fifty is a f1.8, quick focus in good light, still small and light, better bokeh than the nifty fifty.
Cons:
Slower autofocus in low light situations.

I purchased this lens after becoming disenchanted with the pentagonal shaped highlights of the cheaper nifty fifty f1.8. I considered the Sigma 50 f1.4 but went Canon instead and I was not disappointed. This lens is sharper than the nifty fifty wide open and is very sharp above f2. Silent fast AF in good light and nice bokeh. Build quality is quite good and it is still quite small and compact with little weight.

May 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add L.J.G. to your Buddy List
wfrank

Registered: Feb 9, 2011
Review Date: Mar 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Dead sharp from F/1.4, accurate AF, fast, silent
Cons:
Varying copies (?)

When upgrading from 7D to FF (5DMkII) I had a limited set of lenses that fitted the new camera. So I bought it with the 50/1.4 and was pleasantly surprised with the IQ. The copy I got does not resemble at all any of the negative ratings found here. Even at 1.4 it focuses sharp both near and infinity - and that with AF no manual override.

As being one of a few lenses I had initially for the camera I used it extensively and it was a nice experience going "back to basics" with only a 50mm at hand. I am pretty picky with sharpness and this particular lens performs so well that I do not feel the need to take several shots on the same subject as I know normally the first will be focused spot on where I choose. It also produces a nice soft bokeh and is capable of nice 3D-isolation. I cant find any flaw with this lens, the only thing that could improve is the build. But this one is still miles ahead of the 50/1.8. I use no filters, the lens hood is protective enough. And the hood construction is good - as opposed to the flimsy mount Canon makes for eg the 85/1.8 or 50/1.8.

So either I am lucky, or theres bad copies out there and/or perhaps handling issues for some users that dont realize just how short the DOF gets.

Mar 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfrank to your Buddy List
ruffaandmike

Registered: Mar 16, 2011
Review Date: Mar 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: f1.8 – sharp f2 – very sharp. Lovable bokeh and nice contrast.
Cons:
Inconsistent focus from f1.4 – 1.8.

I love this lens on my 5D mk1 @f2... it produced a natural color and makes the skin flawless most of the time. Bokeh is good also as well as contrast, don’t forget to buy a hood for this lens for its protection.

I just stayed the aperture to f2 I am very satisfied with it…

Here are some samples.

Mar 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ruffaandmike to your Buddy List
agnesleung

Registered: Dec 12, 2010
Review Date: Mar 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: weight & size, color, bokeh, f1.4, price, picture quality.
Cons:
AF performance in low light.

This is a very good lens which priced reasonably. It is a light and compact lens, the built is decent but not great.

I suppose my copy of this lens is a sharp one, but it is not as sharp as my Canon EF 35mm f1.4L (which is very sharp from f1.4) until stopped down to f2.8. The color it rendors is not as vivid as my 35L, yet it is natural and pleasing in my eyes.

It is an excellent portrait lens with my crop body Canon 400D (Rebel XTi), and it is also a wonderful walk around lens with my Canon 5D mark II.

The downside of this lens is the AF performance - it hunts in low light situations. If you don't mind using menu focus in low light shooting, then it is not a really big issue for you.

The picture quality of this lens really impressed me. I own other Canon L zoom lenses, such as Canon EF17-40mm f4L and EF 24-105mm f4L, this lens out performed or on par with my L zooms in terms of image quality.

You can see some samples of this lens from the photos I took using this lens:

Mar 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add agnesleung to your Buddy List

387 1165586 May 15, 2014