387 1166900 May 15, 2014

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

poyorick

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Nov 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $331.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good quality control, sharp, cheap
Cons:
a bit soft under 2

I am sort of new to DSLR and this was my first lens (I have the kit lens for the rebel xt, but don't use it). The biggest reason for me to buy this particular lens was that it was cheap and that the quality control seemed to be pretty good (didn't hear of many complaints). I figured that, as a novice, I would learn what a good lens is supposed to look like with a concensus good lens and then go from there.

I wanted dearly to buy a third party lens that was "a great deal" if you got a good copy, but ultimately I could not trust my judgement on the matter quite yet.

If you are on a tighter budget than myself (I eat ramen daily) you should consider the f/1.8. I see those going for $70-80 (US). I ended up buy a hood and filter for the f/1.4 that cost $70-80. If I had gotten the f/1.8 I likely wouldn't have bothered with the filter or hood.

Another point to consider was that I got this lens as part of the Canon Rebate saving me another $75 on the camera and $30 on the lens. If it wasn't on the rebate list, I would have gotten the f/1.8.

Sorry I couldn't comment more on the optics or low-light capabilities at this time, but I think my opinion at this point would caryy little weight and might even be misleading.

Nov 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add poyorick to your Buddy List
Sala

Registered: Apr 23, 2004
Review Date: Oct 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpest lens I own, good bokeh, accurate AF (on 20D), lightweight
Cons:
slightly flimsy build, no ring USM

This lens is so close to greatness it hurts. It is optically outstanding - useable at F1.4, sharp at F2 and out-of-this-world sharp at F2.8. If Canon added ring USM and internal focussing this lens would be perfect.

Oct 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sala to your Buddy List
nick3d

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb sharpness @ f/2.8 and beyond, pleasing color/contrast, cheapest f/1.4.
Cons:
Cheapo build quality for a $300 lens; Bokeh not too pleasing at distant; Soft @ f/1.4-1.8

Classic optical formula still works brilliantly today.

Oct 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nick3d to your Buddy List
sigbusyff

Registered: Oct 21, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp; very fast; lovely L-like contrast and colours.
Cons:
No ring USM; AF a bit inconsistent in low light. Close focussing distance (0.45m) isn't that good.

Very sharp and very fast. This makes it pretty versatile - very useful with available light indoors, for example.

On the downside, the AF is noisy and slow compared to ring USM types, and can be a little inconsistent in low light (one shot will be back-focussed, the next will be spot on). Be prepared for f/1.4 giving so little depth of field that it's more or less unusable; the lens is quite soft wide open anyway. It quickly sharpens up, though, and by f/2 it's performing very well.

So should you get this rather than the f/1.8? I can't sensibly answer that, as I haven't seen the f/1.8. If it's low light ability you're interested in, it might even be worth considering an L zoom with IS (e.g. the 24-105mm) - I've found my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L pretty much matches this lens in low light, and has better AF.

It's worth shelling out for the hood, too - as well as avoiding flare, it's a nice protection for the lens when fitted backwards.

Oct 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sigbusyff to your Buddy List
dsb012

Registered: Dec 27, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and contrasty, large aperture for handheld in low light. Nice portrait lens when used on APS-C sensors. Overall very consistent from shot to shot.
Cons:
Front of lens extends while focusing. Not Ring USM. Price could be a little more competitve.

My route to this lens was via a 50mm 1.8 MkII. I won't go into the various details of build quality, feature difference as there are many reviews that address these areas.

My 50 1.8 while a nice lens had slight front focus and wasn't nearly as consistent shot to shot with regards to focus accuarcy at most aperatures under f5.6. I was left with either sending it into Canon for calibration or getting the 50 1.4. Many people may question how the 50 1.4 can be worth the extra money for an minimal extra light gathering ability, a slightly better build quality (certainly not L) and better bokeh. What I am finding with this lens is that the focusing is much more accurate than the 1.8. I'm finding that 95% of my pics are dead on with this lens while the 1.8 I would say was at about 70% (I'm being generous). I am also finding that the focusing under poor lighting is slower than the 1.8 which most would say is strange since it's USM. I think this is due to the fact that it is being more accurate. I know when this lens focus locks the focus is accurate and my percentage of "keepers" has gone up considerably. To me that is worth much more than the $200+ price difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dsb012 to your Buddy List
richardho11

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast 1.4 aperture, Light Weight, Tack Sharp at 2.4 and above, USM, Best Bang for the Buck Lens!
Cons:
Front element extends when zooming, "ok" quality because Im used to the "L" lenses, Surprisingly soft at 1.4 and starts getting sharper at 2.0 and tack sharp by 2.4.

This is the best bang for the buck lens in terms of sharpness! Its sharper than my 24-70L f/2.8 lens at f/1.4! Infact, my 24-70 does not catch up until about f/4. Not bad for a $300 lens compared to my $1,200 zoom lens! Otherwise, the build quality is "ok." I was however very surprised of how soft the images were taken at f/1.4! I was dissapointed with this finding. Although, this lens gets sharper by 2.0 and tack sharp by 2.8! Infact, its hard to beat this lens at 2.8 and up! Its EXTREMELY SHARP! Overall Its the best portait lens you can buy for the money. There is no other competition. I would not hessitate to recommend this lens to anyone. I wish I could use this lens at 1.4 because that is why I purchased a fast lens in the first place,but its quite soft. But this could also be due to the fact that the Depth of Field at 1.4 is so shallow that it blurs everything out unless you nail the focus.

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richardho11 to your Buddy List
maximage

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp and contrasty at most apertures, large aperture for handheld in low light. Good bokeh when used as a portrait lens on APS-C bodies. Reasonably fast AF. Full time manual override despide its micro-USM AF mechanism.
Cons:
Build quality isn't confidence inspiring. Loose yet bumpy focus ring. Got dust inside after short use. Doesn't come with a hood. Wish they make a 50/1.2L with IS and weather seal.

A great all around lens. Compact and light weight. Focuses quite fast with FTM. On a APS-C sensor body it works very well as a portrait lens. Bokeh is smooth also. Image is very sharp and contrasty at most apertures. A must for any photographer.
Build quality isn't among the gooder, in fact it's all plastic except the mount. Mine's focus ring is very loose. You can hear this rattling noise if you shake it gently. And it's not very smooth either, kind of 'bumpy' when you MF. The price is higher than other 50/1.4 lenses from other brands. Doesn't come with a hood.

Oct 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maximage to your Buddy List
mmphoto

Registered: May 13, 2005
Review Date: Sep 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, sharp and an incredible value. I am really pleased withe the quality of the faster aperture images.
Cons:
only that everyone wants to borrow it.

If you do not yet own a prime lens, get this lens. On a FF camera it is a fantastic walk around lens. On a 20D it is a great lens for portraits. We have run tests against L series zooms like the 24-70 @ 50mm and there is no contest in the way the images punch off the frame @ 2.8. Add to that extended aperture range and you find yourself getting risky natural light shots that were never a possibilty with the zooms. Favorite lens in my kit and it rarely comes off. If I have another kid, I am naming him or her "fifty one four".

Sep 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmphoto to your Buddy List
sino408

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Sep 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: USM (only micro-USM), fast, metal lens mount, depth of field scale/distance scale.
Cons:
slightly soft wide open

I was getting sick and tired of my 50mm 1.8 being so ridiculously soft when wide open to the point that I decided to buy this lens to see if the 1.4-1.8 would help. Since I am able to afford this lens, I figured there's nothing I can lose. Now I wonder why I didn't buy this lens earlier.

The lens actually "looks" better than the picture you see on top. It's very robust compared to the 1.8 version. It has a true focus ring that is coupled to a distance/depth of field scale so it makes focusing much easier. The metal lens mount also helps with the durability.

The lens is relatively heavier than the 1.8 version - bigger glass is required to make the aperture bigger. The lens also has a bayonet hood mount, though the front element is recessed deep into the lens to the point that I think simply using your hand to shade the lens will be sufficient. I haven't tested out any ghosting or flaring but from what others have said, it's expected to be better than the 1.8 version.

I would say get one and test it out to see if you personally like it. I should've made the purchase earlier. I'm selling my 1.8 right this moment.

Sep 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sino408 to your Buddy List
amsdesign

Registered: Sep 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp past f/2.5, quiet, moderately fast USM, nice weight, great bokeh.
Cons:
Not very sharp at f/1.4, AF could be a bit faster.

I just bought this lens yesterday, and I definately recommend this lens to anyone who wants a good lens and wants one relatively cheap. At 1.4 this lens has such a small DOF it is really hard to get things in focus, especially when you are trying to focus on something small, I think I would need to use a tripod if I wanted to get the best image possible.

The thing that really blew me away about this lens was when I set it to f/5.0 and shot in low light, the image was so sharp I could barelly believe my eyes! It was incredible, I put the image on my computer screen and it looked as if I was actually seeing through my camera lens, I cant explain it. Again, this lens is PERFECT for anyone on a budget.

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add amsdesign to your Buddy List
xmattkx

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Sep 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Wide, Nice build quality
Cons:
Expensive for a non-L, slower USM than ring-type USM lenses

I had this lens when I first got my 20D, then I sold it to purchase a 50/1.8 and some other stuff... Well, I have since returned the 1.8 and picked this one back up. The result are so sharp, and @ ISO 400 on my 20D it allows for spectacular shots without a flash.
This is probably my favorite lens in my bag and it's my only non-L!!!!

Sep 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add xmattkx to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb colour, excellent in every way.
Cons:
None at all.

I use this on my trusty old D30. I do a lot of photography in dimly lit recording studios for website and magazine use and this lens is superb in these conditions. It's the best lens that I've used so far and is well worth the money. If I could have just one lens this is it.

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
klam

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Tact sharp and excellent color., at f/2.0 this lens is very very sharp. Pretty compact and light. The cheapest f/1.4 lens you can buy I believe. Micro USM is decent, it focuses quiety and has full-time manual override, but doesn't seem quite as fast as Ring USM. Excellent portrait lens for 1.6x crop cameras. Better build than the other Canon 50mm primes.
Cons:
Fairly expensive, when compared to its cheaper sibling the 50mm f/1.8, which is a good performer nonetheless. On 1.6x crop cameras, this lens is effectively has an 80mm lens FOV, which makes it tight for indoor use other than portraits/people shots.

I previously had the cheaper 50mm f/1.8 II sibling and probably never thought of the day I would trade up for the f/1.4 version. In some ways I am glad I did, and at other times I'm not quite sure why I blew the extra money.

The problem is that the f/1.8 is a fine lens and for $70 USD its hard to beat. Yet, for some reason or another I ended up buying this lens at $275 USD even though the f/1.8 gave me good results.

I began being very fond of quiet and fast USM focusing, which was obviously the first knock against the f/1.8 lens. Although this lens does not have a full Ring USM system, it is unique in that it is one of a few Canon lenses utilizing the Micro USM system. The exception being that this lens has a full-time manual override, unlike the other Micro USM lenses. For all intensive purposes, it is exactly like Ring USM, though slower I find.

Optically this lens is a beauty. Wide open it is not superb, but will allow you to get some really narrow DOF or low light shooting. At f/2.0 this lens really starts to pick up and sharpness is fantastic. Color richness and contrast are also superb, and on par with output from "L" lenses.

Compared to the cheaper 50mm prime, this lens also utilizes a 8-blade aperture, giving smoother bokeh (out of focus area). A minor detail but nice.

I believe this lens is sharper than the 50mm f/1.8 from f/1.8 to f/2.8 -- and of course can be used below f/1.8 down to f/1.4. Above f/2.8 it becomes hard to discern the differences in sharpness between the two 50mm primes. One area where the 50mm f/1.8 falls behind is in color. Colors seem richer and more contrasty with the 50mm f/1.4.

On a 1.6x crop camera, the 50mm lens effectively becomes a lens with an 80mm FOV. This makes it tight for indoor shots other than people/portraits. For people/portraits this lens is excellent. I love using it primarily for capturing people/portraits at social gatherings, parties, dinners, etc.

Even though this lens is comparatively more expensive, I have no hesitation in recommending it. It really is an excellent lens. However, if you don't mind some of the 50mm f/1.8's well-documented flaws you will be just as happy with the $70 USD 50mm f/1.8.

Aug 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add klam to your Buddy List
marco3334

Registered: Jul 22, 2003
Review Date: Aug 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: bokeh, ultra sharp, better construction
Cons:
can't think of any

After doing some test shots at the camera store, I never let it off my camera. My new walkaround lens.

Aug 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marco3334 to your Buddy List
johnhopkins

Registered: Aug 17, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp from f/2.8, USM, FTM, Bokeh, Good portrait lens on 1.6x digital, light weight, cheap.
Cons:
Not really usable at f/1.4. Soft at f/2.

I did a series of tripod-mounted test shots recently at 50mm with the 50 f/1.4 against the Canon 24-70L, Canon 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens and Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 DG. Perhaps not surprisingly the 50 f/1.4 was sharper than all the zooms, but I was surprised how well it performed even against the 24-70L. The 50 f/1.4 was as sharp at f/2.8 as the 24-70L at f/8 (its sweet spot). The JPEGs produced with the prime were ~5% larger than the L-series zoom at any given aperture between f2.8 and f/8 (the gap narrowed at f/11 and was gone at f/16) and this difference in file size was visible to the eye as extra detail.

The performance of the 50 f/1.4 against the Canon kit zoom lens was even better and against the Sigma it was simply no contest.

Centre sharpness at f/2 is OK but the edges are soft and the colour and contrast is going. I would not want to use this lens at f/1.4.

I got his lens for its low-light performance and it delivers outstanding results at f/2.8 in a lightweight and low-cost package. The sharpness from f/2.8-11 is a sensational bonus and I would strongly recommend this lens to anyone.

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add johnhopkins to your Buddy List
m3elmo

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, worth of being "L" sharp. USM, FTM
Cons:
harder to master this lens with the shallow DOF. but that's not the products fault now is it!

Very good lens, and the sharpest in my bag. For the money it's an excellent value. The background blur is fantastic on this as well. At F1.8 you can take pictures in very low light settings, although the AF will hunt a bit. Build quality is good as well.

Aug 20, 2005