386 1172082 Sep 3, 2014

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46°
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, small, decent value
Cons:
soft until f/2.5, a little focus hunting in low light

admittedly, i use this fun lens quite often, especially for snapshots of friends and family, but i find myself wishing it had the sharpness and color saturation of my 85/1.8. for this reason, i tend to shy away from using this camera when I'm more "serious" about shooting. on several tests i've run, the color, contrast, and sharpness of the 85 is noticeably better wide open until f/4, which is basically the aperture range i enjoy for using my primes. if i could rate it about "8.791" I would, so I'll give it a "9."

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
crenshaw

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Value for money. Great for low light situations.
Cons:
None so far.

Got it second hand, quite happy with it. Shots are very clear, nice bokeh.

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add crenshaw to your Buddy List
masgrada

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap! Small, 1.4.
Cons:
Nowhere near L in 1.4 to 2.0

Not much more can be said about the lens.

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add masgrada to your Buddy List
mirages

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Review Date: Jun 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Accurate rendition of image seen.
Cons:
Loose ring.

Nice little gem. For low light and street walking, just a fine little unobtrusive lens. Very accurate at repeating what the human eye sees within its range. Build is the weakness, but we all already know that. For now its the best game in town for this range for Canon.

Jun 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mirages to your Buddy List
keithallenlaw

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: May 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great performer. Good build. Nice for portraits on a a 1.6 crop. Very good value. This is a must have for the price.
Cons:
Nope, none from me.

Even though this is my first prime I can tell the difference straight away compared to my other two zooms. I bought this lens for
my 30D to fill the gap between my 17-40 and 70-200. This is a
fun lens. Great for low light situations though the the DOF gets really shallow. That depends on your distance and focal plain.
Like others have said before and I agree, this lens doesn't start
to really sing until f/2.8. I use it mainly for family portrait and
candid shots. Complaints? Nope, not from me. Great bargin.
For the price and the weight, a must have to keep in your bag.

Example
1/4000s f/2.2 at 50.0mm iso100

May 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add keithallenlaw to your Buddy List
ontime

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 2034
Review Date: May 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: On the cheap side for high-quality, f/1.4 of course, color, contrast
Cons:
AF speed so-so, very thin DOF @ large aperatures (duh), hood separate, etc etc

Everything's been said. Good lens.

To the reviewer below: I've spent every penny with B&H since I've gotten into the DSLR world (includes 5 lenses, 1 camera body + accessories over 4 separate orders) and it has been worth it. Quick delivery (shipping to Hawaii and Indiana), decent pricing (not the cheapest on the 'net but I'll pay for the service), and their website is easy to use and well-designed. UPS has also been amazing, through B&H easy to track my packages and all that.

May 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ontime to your Buddy List
johnastovall

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: May 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp Good images after f/2.0. Very sharp at f/8.0
Cons:
So cheaply built and loose, I hate to use it. Not ever the build quality of the 85mm f/1.8. Because of that it stays in my bag most of the time. But it's Canon's fastest 50mm so it's the only game in town.

If Canon made a 50mm L at 1.4 or 1.2 I would dump this in a New York Second. But until they do we are stuck with this thing if we want a fast 50mm for full frame.

The Optics are a great value but the cheap loose build really detracts from them.

The worst built Canon lens I own.

May 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnastovall to your Buddy List
Namjahn

Registered: May 9, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very fast. Light weight and easy to carry.
Cons:
It hunts alot more than I expected from a lens this fast. But nonetheless, very fun and IQ is amazing.

I've had it a few weeks now to play around with it and experiment. It's a little narrower than I'd like on my 1.6 but definitely forces me to come up with creative/different ways to compose. It's just awesome indoors and I find it amazing for close up portraiture and just as a walkaround lens in general. I've also shot some great city-night landscapes that came out incredibly sharp as well.

From all the reviews I've read, I expected the AF to be alot faster than what I've found it is actually capable of. But it's good enough, and I don't use AF too much anyhow.

The only complaint I have about my whole experience with this lens is the vendor I initially bought it from. I don't know if mine was an isolated inicident, but Beach Camera/Fed ex gave me horrible service. My lens came in two weeks late (I payed for 1-2 day priority shipping) and it came to me with the lens wrapped in bubble wrap with no factory packaging and it was completely hashed and broken. The focus ring was bent and couldn't even move and the glass was scratched. I can't believe that fedex actually sent it to me in that condition. It then took me another week of email correspondance to get my refund. Beach camera is literally unreachable by phone for their lines are always busy.

B&H however, was extremely punctual and well-priced.

Overall, I recommend this to anyone and everyone because of its size, affordability and great image quality.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Namjahn to your Buddy List
lotus17j

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $319.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice construction - non L lens. Fast and accurate focus. I like using this lens more than I expected I would.
Cons:
Hood sold separately.

I really enjoy using this lens. I have no concerns…

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lotus17j to your Buddy List

Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Light. Great Value. Excellent for evening and nights.
Cons:
Cant think of any

Excellent overall lens. Great for portraits. A must have!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: May 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great color, fast focusing, excellent portrait lens on 1.6 crop camera
Cons:

My favorite portrait lens.

May 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
Funnyman

Registered: May 24, 2006
Review Date: May 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $290.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good size, great range of DOF, great low-light capabilities with f/1.4, seems like a great deal for the price
Cons:
No zoom, but then again it makes me think more about the shot

This is my first and only lens at the moment. I'm a beginning photographer so I wanted a fast, fixed lens so that I would think about my shots instead of just using the "AUTO" shot mode on my camera. It has been great for that.

I hate shooting with a flash, so the f/1.4 is great for me - I've gotten some fantastic shots in low light using this lens - it really picks up colors well.

One of my favorite shots with this lens can be found at: http://www.michaelmaxwell.info/gallery2/d/1029-1/one+of+many.jpg It really makes me think about my DOF options before I take the shot.

Highly reccommended for both the price and the shot quality. My only gripe is that I need a wide angle lens, but that's my problem... not the lens'!

May 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Funnyman to your Buddy List
edelsolar

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: May 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colors, contrast, size.
Cons:

Great overall performer. I like the sharpness, contrast and the price.

Presently using it to do tango parties where flash systems are prohibited. Works quite well under low-light conditions.

Link to tango images:

May 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add edelsolar to your Buddy List
acscardoso

Registered: Dec 6, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: May 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, very sharp and fast, easy to carry
Cons:
Separated hood

It is perfect for my indoor pictures

May 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add acscardoso to your Buddy List
KETCH

Registered: Apr 22, 2006
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $284.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1.4 is fantastic, impossible shoots in semi dark areas with no flash a possibilitie, very sharp, very fast, compact, easy to carry arround all day on your camera.
Cons:
The hood, sorry only like petal shape hood.

This lens was a purchase I did not want to make wrilly, as I only use L grade lenses for many reasons especially becouse they are resistent to the elements and that is very important to me, but I try this lens and the L 1.0 and absolutelly did not find a resonable purchase for this particular L lens so I purchased the 50mm f1.4, anyway I will used mostly indoors so no problem if is not resistent to the elements like all my other lenses, the lens is great the pictures are crysp, sharp the back ground molds in or out with grace as you play w/ the F stop, but the best part of this lens is that will get you great pictures inside very poor light areas with no flash, it makes you look again after you see the picture you just have taken appere in you lcd, it looks as if some one turned the lights on wile you were shooting the picture.
great lens i reccomended, my only negative is by no means with the lens but with the HOOD, sorry I only like and use petal shape Hoods, also not happy with Canon service in this particulare purchase, as I said before all my lenses are L grade so they come all w/hood (petal shape) so for this purchase I ask a Canon representetive to guide me true in order to find the right Hood for this lens other than the ugly round weel, and he suggested the EW-63II wich is of the same 58mm diameter but it thos not scrue in so I got S.

If any one knows a petal shape Hood to fit this lens please let me know thanks KETCHROSSI@MAC.COM

May 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KETCH to your Buddy List
Perdu

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wonderful portait lens on 1.6 crop. f1.4 low light capability make it a fun lens. Bokeh
Cons:
Manual focusing is tricky becuase of the slack in the focusing ring. DOF can be tricky (user error, not the lens)

May 10, 2006