385 1159509 Mar 26, 2014

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

capitalK

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Big improvement over the 50mm f/1.8 II in almost every way, Focus ring is much better, phenomenal low-light performer
Cons:
Like most Canon lenses I accidentally flip the AF/MF switch all the time, could be built a little tougher but it's built well for the price and much tougher than the cheaper 50.

I bought this lens to replace my lost 50mm f/1.8 which I misplaced in a move. It's probably still in a box somewhere, but in the meantime I needed to replace it. I thought about replacing it with another f/1.8 but decided to make the plunge and get the f/1.4

Boy am I glad I did. It's a great focal length on both my Rebel XT and 1D at different crops. I usually find it a little long on the Rebel XT and use it much more on the 1D.

The plastic f/1.8 just never felt right on the 1D body, but the 50mm f/1.4 feels great.

I'm able to handhold in very low light, and my copy seems very sharp wide open WHEN I HIT THE FOCUS, which is difficult.

The 50mm f/1.8 is great for the price, but I have no regrets about upgrading to the f/1.4.

Aug 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add capitalK to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice build quality IMHO; Quick and quiet focus (way better than the F1.8); Very sharp; Very good color and contrast; A perfect shoulder to head portrait lens on 20D, and all purpose on 5D; Very compact design.
Cons:
Can't think of anything in my experience.

I first got myself an used 50mm/1.8 Mark I on the 20D. I quickly found out that was one of my favorite purchase, but the focusing is a bit slow and noisy, so I upgrade to the F1.4 USM version. On my 20D, it is a perfect shoulder to head portrait lens, and that is what I have been using it for. I recently use it in a relative's wedding, and this fast lens did great inside the church. I rearly use larger than F2.8, because the DOF won't be large enough to cover both eyes, and that could be the reason I won't complaint the "softness of F1.4" like many do.

I recently got a 5D and this lens finally acts as a real 50mm, and it seems very pleasent to use as well. Again, since I am not using F1.4 much, I have not yet notice vignette problem on FF 5D.

I have the 24-105L/F4 and still want to keep this lens for low light. I will certainly recommend it to anyone, regardless he/she is using APS-C or FF body.

Jul 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Small, Cheap, Light, Sharp, Fast, good colour rendition
Cons:
Bit flimsy. Would be nice if the USM was updated.

Excellent walk around lens on a FF camera, small unobtrusive.

Needs the hood though to stop the cap getting flipped off at every touch, if it's being carried much.

Excellent resolution but not as good as my copy of the 85mf1.8.

@f1.4 is a bit soft so Needs stopping down a little to get the best resolution - Very best resolution possible is at f5.6 on my copy.

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List
zenzi

Registered: Jul 6, 2006
Review Date: Jul 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: picture quality, aperture, dof, price
Cons:
50mm is a bit long for a digital camera

I bought this lens after reading the critics on this website and as a matter of fact, I was really not disappointed. I just love the quality of the pictures and the sharpness.
Its depth of field with the maximum aperture is definitely amazing. Within a few centimeters, it goes from sharp to blurry. The effect is quite amazing !

Here are some pictures to show you the impressive quality of this lens (taken with a EOS 300D):

However, I find the 50mm a bit long on a digital camera. It's definitely not a walkaround lens. I still prefer my 18-55mm for this. But when you know you wanna take good pictures or in the evening with low light, it's definitely making a good job.

So, in my point of view, it's definitely a must buy !

Jul 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zenzi to your Buddy List
my58vw

Registered: Jun 3, 2006
Review Date: Jul 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Normal Lens, very nice all around focal length on FF (1Ds). Nice and sharp stopped down (f/2.0 - 2.8+), Lightweight, Bayonette Hood nice compared to clip on on EF 85 f/1.8 USM, OK build quality for price, USM.
Cons:
Soft at f/1.4 - f/2.0, Needs serious USM to fix, Nowhere near L quality compared to 24 or 35 f/1.4L's. Will buy 50 f/1.2L or like in a heartbeat, but this is the best 50mm in town.

If you own canon this is the best 50mm that you can buy new in town. The only better is the discontinued 50 f/1.0L, but the price at over 3k is way too high, the 85 f/1.2L II is a better value to the 50 f/1.0L. For a walkaround lens on FF this focal length is the best, wide, full body shots, automotive, PJ, even landscapes are within range on this lens. For low light performance I go for the 35 f.1.4L, but for most uses the 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 are with me. Until a 50mm L is introduced this will be on my camera 90% of the time.

Jul 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add my58vw to your Buddy List
Belg

Registered: Apr 14, 2006
Review Date: Jul 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Sharp, Fast, Cheap, Small
Cons:
1.4-2.0 is a little fuzzy, but more of a "dreamy" fuzzy than bad image quality

GO BUY NOW.

I really don't care if you are looking for this range lens or not. You will end up making excuses to use this lens. It is that awesome. You've not really played with depth of field(dof) untill you've gone from 1.4 - 22 on the same subject. It makes you creative and drives you to take more photos. 1.4 isn't exactly crisp, nor is 16 and narrower. That's normal. But 2.8-8 is better than Zeus.

Build quality is nothing to scoff at either. It's not L quality, but it certainly will hold its own. One of the first things I noticed was how nice the focus ring is. It's wide and feels good to the touch. The ring rotates half a turn around the lens making it very easy to get the right focus, even at 1.4. Speaking of 1.4, the viewfinder is wonderfully bright, and since 1.4 has such a short dof (quarter of an inch), focusing is very very easy. It's also a pretty small lens, which makes people flinch less when you point it at them.

Some will say that the Canon 50 1.8 is just as good. I say they're wrong for a couple of reasons. If you don't have the money, get the 1.8, but if you do you should get the 1.4.
This is why:
1. This lens is built *much* better.
2. Though only by half a stop, it's faster, and becomes sharper earlier.
3. USM is important. The other one is usable, but you'll like this more.
4. 8 aperture blades instead of 5. out of focus highlights look much better, and boke is smoother in general.
5. the filter ring size is 58mm instead of 52, so if you end up buying more prime lenses you can share polarizers etc.

This is a wonderful lens, but for all my talk, seeing is believing.
This is by and far my favorite lens.

I've used my 20D with the Canon EF 24-85, EF-S 17-85, and EF 50 1.8, and I'd chose the 50 1.4 over all of them in a heartbeat.

Jul 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Belg to your Buddy List
vin14

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $315.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, wide aperture, size, weight,
Cons:
purple fringing in areas of extreme contrast wide opin. strong vignetting wide open

This lens is better than I'd expected. It's sharp even at f1.4, the AF is fast and it's built well. The main negative is some purple fringing in areas of extreme contrast. It also has strong vignetting wide open (on FF body). This can be easily fixed in post and by f2 this is virtually gone.

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vin14 to your Buddy List
ray123

Registered: Jun 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! a must have for low light photograhpy.
Cons:
AF hunt a little in low light.

Love it along with 85mm f1.8 in my bag.

Jul 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray123 to your Buddy List
bocaminus

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Jun 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid built, fast AF
Cons:

Got this lens two days ago (used). Awesome performance, great value for money. I would probably think twice before buying it brand new (compared to plastic fantastic f1.8). It's really sharp and clear.... very good in low light, perfect for portraits. I found it quite useful even shooting with maximum 1.4 aperture, although the shots are millimeters shallow. If you can get it used, go and buy it because you won't be disappointed.

Jun 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bocaminus to your Buddy List
LgnAdams

Registered: May 27, 2006
Review Date: Jun 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Decent sharpness at wide open, Incredible sharpness at f/2.8. Light weight, inconspicous, and did I mention a fast little monster?
Cons:
Not as solid as my "L" lenses. I wish Canon had built this as an L, it would have been invincible.

Just got done with my first portrait shoot with this little monster and I am raving with joy at the sharpness. I shot at f2.8 and the pictures are downright amazing. Very happy with this lens, I just need to stop giggling like a young boy while I'm going about in dark rooms getting lovely shots with ISO 100. f1.4 may be a little soft, but the quality it does provide is more than enough.

I just wish its build was a bit more robust.

Jun 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LgnAdams to your Buddy List
Areta

Registered: Feb 19, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Jun 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast and affordable, nice hood
Cons:
AF could be faster

I have bought this lens for 1D2 and I am very happy with it. It is not very sharp below f2, but it is acceptable especialy when you are close to your subject. It is extremally sharp form 2.8 upwards.
f1.4 is very fast, there is big differance compare to 85/1.8 or 50/1.8.
It is a cheap way to buy into f1.4.
After some negative comments I have read I am positively surprised with this lens. It is worth upgrading from 50/1.8 if you are able to appreciate the speed.

Jun 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Areta to your Buddy List
mmyye

Registered: Jun 17, 2006
Review Date: Jun 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very nice lens just bought it from amazon, the quality of build is lots better than the kit lens. very sharp, FTM. price is acceptable. Made In Japan.
Cons:
focus is not as fast as i thought

Jun 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmyye to your Buddy List
Amsterdam

Registered: Jun 16, 2006
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, high resolution and contrast
Cons:
Soft untill F2.8, slow AF, some flare

Must have lens on a full frame DSLR, ideal for trips and streetphotography. Its not a very good low light lens: lots of CA, softness, but stopped down to 2.8 it'll give u good results.

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Amsterdam to your Buddy List
juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, small, decent value
Cons:
soft until f/2.5, a little focus hunting in low light

admittedly, i use this fun lens quite often, especially for snapshots of friends and family, but i find myself wishing it had the sharpness and color saturation of my 85/1.8. for this reason, i tend to shy away from using this camera when I'm more "serious" about shooting. on several tests i've run, the color, contrast, and sharpness of the 85 is noticeably better wide open until f/4, which is basically the aperture range i enjoy for using my primes. if i could rate it about "8.791" I would, so I'll give it a "9."

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
crenshaw

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Value for money. Great for low light situations.
Cons:
None so far.

Got it second hand, quite happy with it. Shots are very clear, nice bokeh.

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add crenshaw to your Buddy List
masgrada

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap! Small, 1.4.
Cons:
Nowhere near L in 1.4 to 2.0

Not much more can be said about the lens.

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add masgrada to your Buddy List

385 1159509 Mar 26, 2014