388 1167845 Sep 3, 2014
8.8

Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.

Diagonal Angle of View: 46°
Focus Adjustment: Overall linear extension system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.45m / 1.5 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.9" x 2.0", 10.2 oz. / 73.8 x 50.5mm, 290g

tcphoto

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Feb 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $295.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The 1.4 is a solidly built lens. The boken is very pleasant and sharp from F2.0 and up. A relatively low price for the speed. The build quality is much better than the 1.8II.
Cons:
Rarely can you achieve a truly sharp image at F1.4.

I traded up from the 1.8II version when I bought a FF body. The 1.8II plastic lens mount instilled no confidence and I'm happy to have sold it. I am very happy with the boken and the 1.4 is sharper compared to the previous lens. The viewfinder is a bit brighter which makes manual focus easier. I rarely use autofocus in my work, so I cannot comment on it's focusing speed.

Feb 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tcphoto to your Buddy List
AndrewTee

Registered: Dec 28, 2006
Review Date: Jan 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, outstanding in low light, small, price
Cons:

This was my first lens for my 30D and it is still my favorite. It simply takes great photos, especially in low light. Upon seeing the photos from this lens my wife asked me why I did not get a "real" camera sooner. Compared to many other quality lenses the price is cheap too. It works well for people shots on a 1.6x crop camera. An all-around fantastic lens and one that I would recommend for almost any lens stable.

Jan 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AndrewTee to your Buddy List
Tom Steele

Registered: Dec 15, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $289.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp and well made.
Cons:
A little pricey, and you have to be careful with such a shallow DOF at close range. Can be a little long for indoor shooting on a 1.6 crop factor camera.

This lens is very sharp. DOF gets very shallow as you get below f/2.8 at close range, but you can easily take no-flash photos indoors with this lens and have them turn out excellent. Did I mention that this lens is very sharp? Great portriat lens for the 1.6 crop factor cameras.

Jan 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Steele to your Buddy List
Krosavcheg

Registered: Apr 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colors, design, price, weight
Cons:
Would be unbeatable with sharper results at f1.4.

All I got to say is that I am extremely happy with this lens and I do recommend it.
It is exactly how people describe it and when you see the results you just don’t want to stop shooting.

Quality lens honestly priced.

Jan 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Krosavcheg to your Buddy List
jvarszegi

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Jan 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, size, price
Cons:
low contrast at f/1.4

This lens is great. It is used to good effect by professional photographers the world over, and its reputation for sharpness is well-founded.

Most copies (perhaps all?) of this lens are a little dreamy wide open, but become excellent from f/2 and up. Mine is no different. I use it below f/2 without worry, but knowing that it will be a little softer.

AF speed is pretty good, although it's not as fast as my 100mm f/2. AF accuracy is good. Build quality is solid. It is in all ways a nice lens, and a great value for the price.

Jan 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jvarszegi to your Buddy List
surfgatinho

Registered: Jan 12, 2007
Review Date: Jan 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp enough at 1.4. Cheap. Small and light
Cons:
Slowish focusing. Not too close minimum focus. Tacky gold decals around the lens

I read the reviews posted here and was expecting to only be able to use this lens effectively at F1.8 up, if I was lucky. However, I've found that I can get pretty sharp results even at 1.4.
Maybe I'm lucky and got a good copy, or maybe I'm not as fussy as some. Anyway, here's a shot taken at 1.4:

The colour version of this pic does have some very slight red fringing on the white, but only visible at 100%

Jan 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add surfgatinho to your Buddy List
John Abbey

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $315.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The lens is very lightweight and fast. It is also fairly cheap compared to most other lenses.
Cons:
The lens is soft at 1.4. From 2.0 up it is very sharp (sharper than my 24-70 L).

For $325 US dollars you won't find a better lens. It is very light and takes great images. My 50mm 1.4 is sharper than my 24-70 L lens and the colors look the same to me. This lens is great for shooting without flash, but wide open I find this lens to be soft and lacking contrast. Still very usable though. From 2.8 on it is the sharpest lens I own. It is a great lens and built much better than the 50 1.8. Save you money and buy this lens you won't regret it.

Here are some available light pictures I have taken:

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Abbey to your Buddy List
David4099

Registered: Aug 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 21, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Small, 1.4, reasonably priced
Cons:
Slow focus, soft wide open.

I bought this to shoot indoor sports in low light. The focus is uselessly slow and inconsistent. I have no confidence in it. It is soft at 1.4, but I bought it to use at 1.4, not 2.0 or 2.8 were I have to boost the iso to get the sharpness.

I always regret using this lens on action sports. The 85 mm 1.8 isn't too bad and my 2.8 Ls are far better.

May be a decent lens, but not at all for what I needed.

Dec 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David4099 to your Buddy List
ryan aguas

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: sharp starting at f2.8, light and sturdy built, stealthy and unobstrusive
Cons:
f1.4 is useless, contrast is "so-so", micro-USM is not as fast nor as accurate as ring-type usm

This is the only non-L canon lens i own, and i'm selling it. I'm not satisfied with this lens for the following reasons:

1. the lens is advertised as f/1.4 when in fact, it is only usable (professionally) starting at f/2.8...At 1.4 the image is very soft even at the center, most apparent when used on subjects beyond 4 feet distance.
2. the af is very inaccurate and quite sluggish compared to my 17-40 f4 or 24-105 f4 zoom lenses
3. no weather sealing
4. hood is sold separately
5. IQ is not at par with canon L series prime lenses. (no wonder it doesn't have a red ring around it)

I'm planning to upgrade to the 50 1.2...as for my experience with L-series prime lenses, there are no compromises on image quality even when used at full aperture. I currently own the 35 1.4 L, 85 1.2 L-II, and the 135 2.0 L -- three of the most highly regarded canon L series prime lenses.

Dec 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ryan aguas to your Buddy List
Hans im Glueck

Registered: Dec 6, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light ,bright, AF fast
Cons:
non if you got a good copy

If you are looking for a small affordable high quality lens in that range, try this one. Look for a good cpoy. Mine is perfect at 1.4 That of a friend needs to be stopped down at 2.0 to be that sharp.

Dec 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hans im Glueck to your Buddy List
Geisterfahrer

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Dec 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness; great colour rendition; small and lightweight; not expensive
Cons:
Can't think of any... Well, it could benefit from a Ring USM instead of the Micro USM, but that's really nitpicking in my opinion.

This is indeed a fine lens for its price. Images come out very sharp and detailed from about f/2.8 on, but even when taken at full aperture they don't look too fuzzy - especially in the centre and providing you get the focus right. Colors are rich and saturated; the lens yields neither cool nor warm casts of any sort. Pictures look also free from distortions. Weighing only 290g the lens is light, easy to carry and definitely not intimidating, making it a great choice for head-and-shoulder or full figure portraits, especially on a full-frame camera. Minimum focus distance is 45 cm, which is more than adequate for a lens giving this angle of view.

Yes, the Micro USM is not as fast as the Ring USM, and not as accurate (especially in low light), but it's still better than AFD; moreover, the lens allows full-time manual focusing if you feel the need of using it.

Of all the 50 mm Canon lenses, this is the one with the better quality-price ratio; I recommend this one over the f/1.8 because of the extra stop - more than once that 1.4 setting allowed me to take pictures where other lenses simply couldn't -, better build - the f/1.8 feels like a toy lens in comparison -, better focusing and better overall sharpness and colour rendition. Really a gem of a lens!

Dec 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Geisterfahrer to your Buddy List
DLai

Registered: Nov 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: f1.4, weight, size, sharp
Cons:
Non-L build, cheap whiny micro USM motor, hunts in low light

Nov 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DLai to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrast, price
Cons:
many bad copies

With all its limitation it is still most usable lens in studio. I had it serviced to fix AF, and it is very sharp (maybe not as sharp as 100mm f/2.8). Yes, it hunts, AF is not too quick, you need to stop down (couple stops), and it has reputation of a lens with AF problems…. but still it would be an excellent value even to be 1.5 times more expensive.

Nov 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List
Christopher-J

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 18, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Leightweight, Fast AF, 90% sharp.
Cons:
It is boring to use. The 50mm f1.8 MKII just as good IMO.

Chalk me up as a guy that only likes telephoto primes but I find that this lens is somewhat boring. It takes great pictures and are 90% sharp all the time but the focal length on a APS-C camera is just too long where you only can get head shots in a medium sized room. With that said I can't see myself keeping this lens for too much longer as my Nifty 50 (f1.8 MKII) does the same job and quality.

Do I recommend? No! Save yourself money and buy the 50mm f1.8 MKII.

Nov 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Christopher-J to your Buddy List
Thomas Ware

Registered: Nov 17, 2006
Review Date: Nov 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF-speed, sharpness, bokeh
Cons:

Either this or its brother, the 85/1.8, will probaply offer most bang for the buck in current line up. The results are sharp, AF is quick and bokeh is very nice. Definetyly worth the price.

Nov 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Thomas Ware to your Buddy List
galaksi26

Registered: Mar 12, 2006
Review Date: Nov 12, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Cheap compare to 50 L and light
Cons:
Too soft

I have problem with this lens (50mm f1.4). I sent it to canon 7 times and couple times with my body. I still have the same problem with this lens. I also compare this lens with L series (24-105, 17-40, 70-200 f2.8 IS)and non L series (28-135). My 28-135 IS will give me sharper image than 50 mm with the same set up.
If I use f11, 1/1000 and flash, I will get pretty sharp picture. I will get soft/back focus for f2.8 and bigger opening with speed 1/80 or slower. I do not recommend to buy this lens if you want to use for low light with no flash. I wish I get a good copy of my lens.

Nov 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add galaksi26 to your Buddy List

388 1167845 Sep 3, 2014