Domke F-3X

16 61894 Jun 20, 2011
f3x_navy

The F3-X is the bag to grab when an assignment does not call for dozens of pieces of equipment. Inconspicuous but suprisingly roomy, it features nine compartments and pockets including a removable padded partition wall. Adjustable non-slip Gripper Strap runs completely around the bag. An open cell foam liner in bottom adds cushioned support. Comes with a removable hand carrying strap which can be used whether bag is open or closed.

Charles Gallo

Registered: Mar 23, 2007
Review Date: Jun 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It works. Light, not bulky, probably the best for film gear out there
Cons:
It's not sized around today's gear

I've carried an F3x since the early 80s, so you know I have to like it, but it has problems with newer gear. An example, the side pockets are not deep enough for my flash (580ex) so it has to go in the main pouch, and then the bag is too small

Take the bag, make it 1-2 inches deeper, but otherwise the same, and I'll buy one in a second

Jun 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Charles Gallo to your Buddy List
capitalK

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: No extra padding, clings to the body well. Rugged. Gripper strap works well.
Cons:
Fits a lot of gear, just not the gear I'm currently carrying.

I purchased this bag for a completely different kit than I am using now so it doesn't really fit my gear. I bought it to carry a Leica M camera + lenses and my Nikon F4s + 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S. For that kit it worked PERFECTLY.

Now that I have come back to digital SLR's it doesn't really work. That's not necessarily the bag's fault. My 5D + 70-200mm f/2.8 don't really fit in it when attached. I can't really put 2 bodies with 2 lenses attached like I'd like to. One camera with a few lenses and maybe a body with no lens attached would work well, depending on how small the lenses are that you're using and if you have a battery grip attached to your DSLR.

Otherwise I love the bag. I guess I'll need to get an F-2 or something similar or go back to using my Crumpler December Quarter, which is just a monster and one of the reasons I wanted to pare down to a smaller kit in the first place.

Apr 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add capitalK to your Buddy List
The Chimp

Registered: Jun 5, 2006
Review Date: May 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight, small, quick to shoot out of
Cons:
Canvas sheds fibers over time

I've been consistently using this bag since 2006. As others say, it is a nice size and if you sometimes want to be ambitious with what you want to fit in there, a bit of creativity may be called for. The outer pockets are great in depth and width - I've shoe-horned a 24-70mm with hood reversed in the past.

I have not found a use for the single divider pad that comes with it except perhaps to pad out on of the loops which seperate the body and lenses inside the main compartment.

I have a green version. Over the 4 years of use it has faded - which gives it character I suppose. You can tell when you open up one of the outer flaps and inside is still unbleached by light.

Another thing I notice is that canvas sheds over time. I notice some fibers over the equipment - not a big deal - but I wonder if a cycle in a washing machine might not get rid of that problem. I'll investigate.

Despite the two minor points above it has in no way affected the functionality of the bag. I fondly take it on many travels though the next one I get might be a touch bigger - though I think this bag has got some go in it yet.

May 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add The Chimp to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: small, light and fits your body
Cons:

A previous member mentioned about the protection and gave the bag 2. OK it`s not the type of bag you would store in the hold of an aircraft but as a camera bag over your shoulder it is superb. It takes enough gear for the day (you would usually know in advance the type of shooting you will be doing) What I like about it is the fact that it tends to mould itself to your hip shape and stays on your shoulder. I`ve had mine for over ten years and to be quite honest it is still as good as the day I got it and I throw it around and use it everywhere.

If you buy a camera bag to protect your gear 100% (like I have when travelling) then you won`t be happy carrying that bag around all day and that`s where the Domke comes in when you get there). I have a lens in each end pocket and one in the front pocket, my camera goes into the centre mainpocket and when I get where I`m going the camera is either on my neck or shoulder and i use the large centre pocket for lens changing. It also doesn`t shout out" Hello, I`m a camera bag"

I just love the design and size for portability.

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
cuffer

Registered: Jan 26, 2008
Review Date: Feb 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: An outstanding bag that holds a huge pile of gear for its size, doesn't look like a "steal me" camera bag, is easy to work out of and wears like iron. My version is actually an earlier model that is over 25 years old and it still looks decent and does the job.
Cons:
Not much padding (I've used hand towels to wrap extra bodies), not much dust protection, although the wrap over top flap will keep a surprising amount of H20 out of the bag. I've carried a medium size trash bag in the back pocket for years as emergency dust and waterproofing and never had a problem.

I dragged two film SLR bodies, 5 lenses (four prime and a 70- 210 zoom) a Vivitar 273 strobe, about 24 rolls of film and all the usual small bits (filters, batteries, lens cleaning kit, cable release) all over Europe 20 plus years ago in this thing.

Just evicited the film SLR's to make room for a new 40D and two zooms - the bag looks empty, but I may use some of the space to add a little closed cell foam padding - not sure I can trust these digital, electrical marvels to unpadded canvas!

Feb 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cuffer to your Buddy List
Joey Accardo

Registered: Sep 20, 2006
Review Date: Apr 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, Discrete, Canvas, Durable, Gripper strap, Easy maintanance
Cons:
Cost

Great bag that I use when my F2 is too big or heavy. Great when I only need one body and like two lenses. There is minimal padding which i love. It makes the bag easier to handle.
Best
Joey

Apr 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joey Accardo to your Buddy List
borderlight

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Mar 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, fast, convenient. Holds the essentials without being a burden.
Cons:
Needs more padding.

The F3-X is my third Domke camera bag. It fits all my essential camera equipment without being too heavy. It features nine compartments and pockets, just enough storage without the chance of overstuffing. One of the most important considerations for me was bag weight. I felt that the two-pound F3-X at would be easier on my back, especially considering the five more pounds of equipment I needed.

This Domke can store two cameras bodies in the main compartment, or one connected to a reasonable focal length lens (24-70L, or 17-55 IS) without a hood. I have my camera/lens strattling the two side lens compartments. I used some old Zero Halliburton foam to re-line the bottom for additonal protection. The extra padding would have made it a better bag like my 20 year old Domke video bag with a cushy built-in lining. I have no idea why they didn't continue lining their bags the same way. At $97 for a F3-X canvas bag (AKA "Denier Ballistic Nylon") for the purposes of protecting fragile equipment I think it should be a requirement.

I had also considered using a sachel bag like the extremely nice Billingham models. I found that the problem with a sachel is it has a tendency to fall over when placed on the ground. The F3-X design is a lot more stable thus preventing something like a spare CF card from spilling out on the grass.

The side pockets help round out the look of the bag. If you own a XTi or similar small DSLR body, or P&S it will fit. The other side pocket can be used for a flash, a meter, or lens hoods. The bag flap stays in place with the sewn-in Velcro, or you can just tape over it if the noise from it creates a distraction. A few personal modifications and you are all set.

Mar 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add borderlight to your Buddy List
johnshinn3

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Dec 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $10.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small but has enough room for all my gear
Cons:
cover flap should have pocket for pens and small notebook

I gave this bag a perfect "10" because it's just the perfect camera bag for me. I bought mine at a camera show "used" for $10. Unlike my F2 bag, this one does not even look like a camera bag which is ideal for short trips and quick assignments. This bag can hold my EOS-1D and 10D bodies, a 17-40 f4L and 35-350L lenses, along with a 430 ex flash and lot of extra batteries and misc. items. I would definitely recommend this bag!

Dec 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnshinn3 to your Buddy List
uofmtiger

Registered: Jun 24, 2006
Review Date: Aug 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $97.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Perfect size, does not look like a camera bag, and it does not resemble a purse
Cons:
Wish it had included some loose padded inserts for occasional use.

After reading this page, I decided to buy one of these for use around town. I am very pleased with it. I did a longer review if you are interested.

Aug 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add uofmtiger to your Buddy List
Orlandorod

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 10, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Roomy while not bulky. The perfect size.
Cons:
Inferior quality, flimsy velcro attachments. Scant protection for equipment. Extremely expensive.

As others have stated, this bag is roomy, yet not bulky and truly the perfect size for my gear, EOS 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, and EF 70-200mm f/4L plus the usual miscellanea, with much room to grow.

I bought this bag sight unseen based on several reviews here and elsewhere and because of its trendy-casual appearance. But in essence, this is just a common bag of inferior quality, poorly divided with flimsy velcro attachments that barely stay in place. It provides limited, if any, protection for the equipment. The closing hook at the end of the strap provided to secure the cover is a sorry looking, meager contraption that requires quite a bit of fiddling to either attach or remove. Inside, the fabric that will be brushing against your valuable equipment, (I bought the canvas version) more suitable for a plumber's tools, feels very rough to the touch and is likely to cause excesive wear on photo gear. Then there's the shoulder strap which...well, I don't want to overdo it, so I'll leave it at that.

Were this a $20-30 bag, it would not be grossly overpriced; at $97.00, it's way too much.

Orlando R.
San Juan, PR

Jul 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Orlandorod to your Buddy List
Leehman

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Mar 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very well built, the right size. Did I mention strong, well built
Cons:
not the bag for dusty locations. No zipper.

Used this bag for the past five years. Looks brand new. Comfortable to carry.

Quality

Regards,
Leehman

Mar 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Leehman to your Buddy List
willislee

Registered: Jul 21, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact size, carrying capacity, flexibility
Cons:
no tripod loop

Anyone who's thinking of getting a compact camera bag for their equipment should definitely give the F-3x a trial, once you try it, you will love it. Even though it states compact, you will be amazed at the amount of gear you can carry, I'm mostly impressed that I could fit a 1) Canon 10D w/28-70 f/2.8L attached 2) 80-200 f/2.8L 3) 100 f/2.0 4) 50 f/1.8 and 5) hoods for the L lenses all inside the main compartment. Then I had my 420EX on one of the outside pouches, and charger on the other, with card reader and other small gear in the front pocket!
I personally like the ballistic nylon, I believe the canvas ones are very nice as well. Everyone has got to give this bag a try!

Sep 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willislee to your Buddy List
ilind

Registered: Aug 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $89.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Carrying capacity. Shape. Size.
Cons:
Not waterproof. No zipper, so won't seal against dust between uses. Internal lens pockets are not moveable.

I chose this bag to carry my Canon Digital XT, two extra lenses, flash, and other stuff. It does an excellent job and is a pleasure to use.

It's a very useful size, feels large when stuffing things into it, but feels smaller when carrying it. I've got the black nylon version so can't comment on the canvas one. I don't have a whole lot of gear, but it all fits here.

I have a few photos at:

The floppy shape grows on you, and just seems to work.

Sep 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ilind to your Buddy List
baumgart

Registered: Jul 15, 2005
Review Date: Aug 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent quality, not havily padded so it molds to the body, perfect size to carry a large body and a couple of lenses.
Cons:
canvas isn't waterproof, carry a plastic bag for really heavy rain

I have owned this bag for 7 years. Other bags have come and gone but this one stays. The quality is beyond excellent, mine looks as good as the day i purchased it. Great for carrying a large camera body (20D with grip) and a few lenses. It even fits my 70-200 F4L. Excellent for travel, plain exterior dosen't attract attention, good size to carry a light outfit, extra pockets for travel needs, excellent to work out of (lenses slip in and out of it very easily). My favourite feture of this bag is that it isn't to havily padded, this allows it to mold around your body and makes it very comfortable to carry. It is a bit on the expensive side ... but the qulity and versitility make it worth every penny.

Aug 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add baumgart to your Buddy List
Chris B.

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Aug 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

I Love this bag! I have quite a few Domke bags: F2 ballistic, F3X ballistic, F803 satchel, J-300 lens bag. I use my F3x when I want to carry a body/lens (medium zoom) combination and an extra lens. Although the bag cannot carry really big lenses, it's a great travel bag and holds a lot of extras. Although the canvas is nice, buy the black ballistic nylon...it wears like iron and doesn't show wear. Another plus is the Domke "gripper" strap which doesn't slip off your shoulder and goes completely around the bag for additional support.

Aug 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris B. to your Buddy List
dinoadventures

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome materials and construction. Rubber-stitched strap is exemplary. Curves against body very nicely. Extremely versatile, can carry gear in myriad configurations. Tons of accessory storage.
Cons:
Internal dividers not moveable

I bought this bag about 5 months ago and use it extremely heavily. It's a fantastic bag for carrying a single large body and a few lenses (along with a TON of accessories).
Not only is it probably the most versatile small bag i've owned, but it's saved my gear from sudden downpours too. It's a bag that really does give you what you paid for and then some.
A superior product. Highly recommended!

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dinoadventures to your Buddy List

Domke F-3X