Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 EX DG Lens

24-60mm

-super-wide-angle of 24mm
-Very compact design
-Large-aperture
-Effective arrangement of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) and aspherical glass elements
-Compact dimensions of 83.6mm (32.9") maximum -diameter, and 84.5mm (33.2") length
-Capable of taking pictures from a close distance, minimum focusing distance is 38cm at all focal lengths
-Maximum magnification ratio of 1:5.8
-Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements are provided for effective compensation of color aberration, which is a common problem with super-wide angle lenses
-One piece of Glass Mold Aspherical and three -pieces of Hybrid Aspherical
-Total four pieces of aspherical lenses offer excellent correction for distortion as well as all types of aberration
-The new lens coating reduces flare and ghost, which is a common problem of digital cameras and also creates an optimum color balance
-The design concept of this lens is especially suitable for the characteristics of Digital SLR Cameras
-The high performance inner focus system is particularly suitable for using circular polarizing filters and a petal-type hood as the front of the lens does not rotate
-Equipped with Zoom Lock Switch that eliminates Zoom Creep

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

E.Kase

Registered: Feb 12, 2012
Review Date: Mar 31, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great range, compact
Cons:
A little slow to focus in low light, but not horrible.

This lens is a sleeper IMO. Very sharp throughout the range and I had no focus issues whatsoever. It was also definitely the most compact pro-zoom I've ever used, which made me use it more. I was really happy with this lens all around, I think it is a very underrated lens. Loved the little extra of the 24mm on the wide end and I couldn't see any CA in my prints. I do hate Sigmas finish though, it wears off too easily from putting it in and out of my bag. I reluctantly sold it after I purchased Sigma's 20-40mm f2.8 EX because I just wasn't using it much anymore. That lens is a beast though, and at times I wish I still had the 24-60 solely because of its size. Excellent bokeh as well.

Mar 31, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add E.Kase to your Buddy List
flowatrack2002

Registered: Feb 12, 2011
Review Date: Feb 12, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: sharp, small
Cons:
poor QC by Sigma - lens had backfocus issue

My copy had back-focus issue so i sent back under warranty. After that was good. This lens is sharp from f4, at f2.8 is useless. The 28-70EX DG lens is much smaller and that lens is the real deal, sharp right from f2.8 and excellent from f5.6 so i sold my 24-60 right away...

Feb 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flowatrack2002 to your Buddy List
HoosierJoe

Registered: Dec 24, 2009
Review Date: Sep 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp after a microadjust, excellent color and contrast.
Cons:
The hood is enormous.

I bought this used. Had to do a little microadjust with my 50D and after than, it has really wowed me.

Previously I had a Tamron 28-75 that did not perform as I expected, I think it was just my particular copy. This Sigma beats that Tamron in just about every way.

It is fantastically sharp. I am really happy with this lens and can't see ever parting with it.

Sep 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HoosierJoe to your Buddy List
matsu131

Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Review Date: Sep 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, small, light, decent AF speed, price, good build
Cons:

I don't use a wide-mid zoom much and can't justify the price for the Nikkor. I've owned the Tamron for years and while a great performer I always felt like I wanted it to be a little wider.
I tried the Sigma HSM while stretching my justification and it wasn't worth it for me.

The 24-60 F2.8 won't set a record or turn heads but it does get the job done. Wide open, excellent. By F4, all I'll ever need.

Focus is accurate with my copy and I don't feel like I miss anything because of the lack of AFS/HSM.

My

Sep 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add matsu131 to your Buddy List
hatboy

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Review Date: Aug 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: amazingly sharp
Cons:
terribly front focused

This lens is a great deal if you are looking for something in this range. It is incredibly sharp lens, when manually focused! My copy can have some bad front focusing and can be trouble if I am not careful with it. It would have been nice to get HSM on this lens to correct this problem and I'm not sure I want to get Sigma to fix it (not sure if they even will at this point). If you can pick this lens up for less than 250 I would get it hands down though. It is not quite wide enough for the 1.6x crop if you want to do real landscapes (probably should get something like the tamron 17-50).

Aug 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatboy to your Buddy List
Lane48

Registered: Sep 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f/2.8 and up, excellent color and contrast, solid build, zoom lock
Cons:
HSM would help with low light performance

I really enjoy shooting with this lens. I find that this lens is very sharp from f/2.8 and up, and has excellent color and contrast. I purchased this lens based on test results and reviews that I had read. I have not been disappointed. It lives on my 50D presently. Prior to my purchase of a 50D, it lived on my 30D. I find the 24-60mm range to be ideal for general shooting. I do not miss any shots due to a missed focus.

It was not always that way. I purchased this lens in January of 2007. Shortly after purchase, I experienced an autofocus failure. I sent it into Sigma for repair. The repair took a few weeks because the needed parts were not in stock. However, when it was returned, it has worked perfectly ever since.

Third party lens manufactures do make some excellent lenses. This is one of them.

Nov 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lane48 to your Buddy List
virtualcrow

Registered: Feb 18, 2009
Review Date: Nov 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: -Super sharp -Super cheap if you can find it -Can be used on a full frame camera
Cons:
-Poor auto focus -Poor quality control by Sigma

The Good:
This is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to lenses. You get "L" like IQ for the price of a kit lens. When the AF got it right, the pictures were SUPER sharp. I did my own comparison against the Canon 24-70 2.8L. A fellow photographer could not distinguish which picture was shot with which lens.

The Bad:
My copy was back focusing so I sent it to Sigma for recalibration under warranty. Unfortunately, that didn't help much as my re-calibrated lens still exhibited the same problem. Although IQ was great if the AF got it right, I found that I was missing too many shots due to the back focusing problem. I sold the lens and bought a Canon USM lens.

Nov 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add virtualcrow to your Buddy List
Arnstein

Registered: Sep 6, 2009
Review Date: Sep 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, lightweight, affordable, sharp, modest distortion, 77 mm filter, aperture ring
Cons:
Zoom creep, zoom ring reverse, small focus ring, small lens hood

I purchased this lens in August 2008 and used it as workhorse ever since on the Fuji S5 pro. Along with a Tokina 12-24 mm/4.0 and a Nikkor 70-200 mm/2.8 VR it is my main equipment. It replaced the Ais 35 mm/2.0 Nikkor in my bag.

The Sigma delivers the image quality, I need. It is far better than the Sigma 17-70 or the Nikon 18-70 regarding sharpnes wide open and distortion at the wide end.

The build quality is less excellent. Most annoying is the zoom creep. The small lens hood is also a problem, when it's raining and drops are immediately on the front element. The reverse zoom ring is irritating for Nikon users.

However, the aperture ring makes it compatible to old film bodies, e.g. the Nikon F3. Before I replace it with the 24-70 Nikkor, there are more important things on my wish list, for instance a D700 Smile

Sep 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Arnstein to your Buddy List
Sayeret18

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: Aug 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Well built, nice colors (to my eye), decent sharpness after f4.
Cons:
Relatively soft at f2.8, fairly slow focusing speed.

Best f2.8 zoom full frame lens under $600 (roughly the price of a bargain 28-70 L) that I've found. I had the Tamron 28-75, which was a fine lens. The Siggy is much better made, no distortion even at the margins, has far superior color rendition IMO and is a bit faster to focus. Downsides include the fact that it is NOT as sharp as the Tammy wide open (but by f4 for sure it is just as good) and it is a very odd focal length. Well worth the $225 I paid though.

Aug 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sayeret18 to your Buddy List
miked58

Registered: Jun 2, 2009
Review Date: Jun 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built and sharp. I am very happy with my purchase price ,used (US$200) and this is now my standard lens. I have taken fantastic portraits with it and would highly recommend it. No focus issues so far. I like the colours for landscape shots - a litt;e warmer than canon lens.
Cons:
Spoilt me for good glass. No going backwards now.

I bought this second hand and have only positive comments for it. It is the highest rating of the affordable EX Sigmas from what I have seen. Good build and fast focusing in all lights. I haven't tried sports/action but great on all other types of photography.

Jun 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miked58 to your Buddy List
Phil Foster

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Review Date: May 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, sharp, fast, well built, zoom lock at 24mm, fast accurate focus, really nice image quality.
Cons:
Slightly noisy auto focus, no environmental seals, hood not very good.

Introduction:

This lens came as a surprise to me, I only heard about it a couple of weeks ago and when I read the reviews here and elsewhere the overall opinion of it was that it is a little known gem.

Lets face it even Sigma have their legends. The original 70-200 f2.8 APO, the 100-300 f4, the 150mm f2.8 macro just to name a few and I think this one could be a candidate for that hallowed hall of fame.

Concerns over quality control:

I worried that I would get a 'bad copy', not sure why, I have owned many Sigma lenses and never had any focus or QC issues, and while I was a little disappointed with the IQ of my later model 70-200 f2.8 'macro' and my 120-400 OS, there was nothing actually wrong with those lenses. So when I got this I did the usual tests to make sure it behaved properly and guess what? It did and it does. Of course it does and I am glad to report that the research paid off.

Image quality:

The IQ is superb. I own a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 G VR and this 'little' (I'll come back to that point) Sigma doesn't quite match the sharpness, contrast or colour of that lens but I can tell you that the difference isn't worlds apart. Is it soft at f2.8? Relative to f5.6 yes it is but show me a constant aperture f2.8 zoom lens nudging telephoto focal lengths and upward that isn't. Even my legendary Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is soft wide open or at least it is relative to how sharp it is at f5.6. f2.8 offers a wafer thin DoF and the longer focal lengths compound this, if you don't get your focus absolutely spot on it is always going to look soft. Its not soft, it's just slightly out of focus. Maybe. For the record though I'd say it is a tad soft a f2.8 (or it might be user error on my part) but certainly not unusable. Pretty much anywhere beyond f2.8 it is sharp. It is tack sharp by f4 and is, as expected, at it's very best at f5.6. Contrast is good though I might nudge it up a bit on my D300 but it still looks fine on my D50. I see no major colour caste issues and the out of focus elements of the frame (bokeh) rival my big Nikon zoom.

Build and handling:

You're supposed to either love the Sigma EX finish or loath it. Me? I really don't care that much so long as it feels right overall. I did scratch one once and thought at the time that it wasn't such a good idea but generally I think it is okay. It is solid and nicely screwed together but I wish Sigma would add some degree of dust and moisture sealing to its EX range of lenses. It is compact but not small. It balances nicely on a D300 with a grip, the big front element and relatively wide barrel give it presence. The barrel extends when you zoom, the zoom ring operates in the opposite direction to Nikon lenses, it is rubberised and nicely damped. I think the focus ring is a tad small and offers no manual over-ride but operates smoothly and accurately. I like the zoom lock at the 24mm end, I think the petal hood is a bit poxy but better than a kick in the knackers.

I have owned a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG and I though it was very good but I feel the 24-60mm is the better lens. So far I don't miss the 60-70mm range and I need the exercise I get by moving my fat bum to cover it anyway.

In summary I think this lens is a belter, especially for the price, not perfect but everything in the photographic world is a compromise. I'd like to see an HSM version with environmental sealing, a better hood and perhaps a bigger focus ring but then they'd ask three times the price. Overall it is spot on. Well done Sigma.

May 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil Foster to your Buddy List
Bram1982

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price! Decent built quality. Constant f2.8. Relatively small.
Cons:
Soft in the corners at f2.8, and left considerably softer than right side of image.

This lens is the cheap alternative for the popular (but expensive) Nikkor 24-70. The Nikkor costs about 1400 euro's and this lens goes for about 250!

So what do you get for for 1400? Or what do you don't get for 250?

This Sigma lens misses 10mm at the tele end of its range compared to the Nikkor. So it's a bit limited on the tele end with only a max of 60mm. However, I dont think its a problem.

This Sigma is pretty well built. Not the same quality as the Nikkor, but this lens doesn't feel plasticy! Also this lens is rather compact and balances very nicely on a D700.

Autofocus isn't as lightning fast as the Nikkor, but it focusses fast and accurate. I had no front- or backfocus issues whatsoever. It has no internal AF-S, but on a Nikon D700 this lens has no problem getting a lock.

Image quality: It's just okay considering the price. I mean, this is a constant aperture f2.8 lens, so that's also an aperture I plan to use now and then. However, on 24mm f2.8 you get quite a bit softening near the edges.

But how bad is this compared to the 1400 euro Nikkor 24-70? I went to the store and made almost identical pictures at 24mm f2.8 with these two lenses to test this out.

Sigma:
Nikon:

Sigma:
Nikon:

This is all at 24mm 2.8 where lenses are on their worst. My quick conclusions:
-Almost the same sharpness in the center (nikkor is better though)
-Nikkor quite a bit sharper on the edges, but if you just compare the right side the gap is much smaller! (the sigma is sharper on the right compared to the left - is this fixable?)
-Nikkor has less vignetting. Sigma's vignetting goes away at F5 and higher.

So in the end, for the price paid, this is quite a good lens. However, make sure you test your copy so it doens't front- or backfocusses. And if your copy is evenly sharp as mine is on the right, I would rate this lens excellent!!

Feb 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bram1982 to your Buddy List
S4LTM4N

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Review Date: Jan 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, completely usable starting right at f/2.8, solid, small and light (relative to competition), nice finish, very nice bokeh for a standard zoom, PRICE!
Cons:
Poor quality control (I'm talking about focus-alignment, although they are usually good at setting it right after sending it in), No HSM (though the auto-focus speed and noise could be far worse and has never presented me with a problem, even in low light).

In my opinion, this is the lens to get if you want a standard zoom with a large constant aperture and don't need to go super-wide. To me, it is an ideal portrait lens. At the wide end, it is plenty wide for full body shots and looks good doing it. It controls distortions well. At the long end of the focal length you have a perfect head-shot or shoulder shot portrait lens that, when the aperture is left wide-open, produces punch, sharp, images with smooth backgrounds. I don't think it gets any better than this in those regards at these focal lengths in a zoom lens. I have used expensive L primes, and yet, you get what you pay for with those, but compared to Canon's 24-70, you aren't missing much as far as image quality goes, if anything, and it's MUCH more portable. I haven't had the chance to compare it to Nikon's 24-70 f/2.8 lens, but from what I hear, it is worth the money.

This is my workhorse lens, even on a 1.6X sensor. I don't need to go any wider than 24 for shooting people, and that's mostly what I do, so this lens takes care of me 80% of the time.

Now to what truly makes this lens great: the price. It can be had new for about $240, $250 if you include the shipping costs it will take to send it back to Sigma after you receive it to have it calibrated. I have bought 3 of these lenses, and two of the three had to be sent back, and I never felt quite the same about the third one, but it was probably fine.
(I sold the first one, bought the second because I missed it, bought the third as a backup)

Here are a few examples of what this lens can do:

Note: These were taken with the third copy, which was never calibrated.

More sample images can be seen here:

and here:

Buy it and love it!

Jan 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add S4LTM4N to your Buddy List
Zuazua

Registered: Jun 6, 2006
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Constant 2.8, Color rendition, Clarity, Contrast, Weight, Internal Focus, Matte Finish, Zoom Lock, 77mm Filter Size
Cons:
77mm Filter Size, Zoom Creep, Zooming Ring is reversed.

I've only had this lens for a few hours. It is amazing. There is a lot of reviews on Sigma lenses which have the same common problem. Focus issue. I have not had this problem and that is the biggest hesitation I had with purchasing this lens. I'm just glad that I waited three weeks and got it for $150. I enjoy the weight, the clarity, and color rendition. I am getting use to the way the you have to zoom with this lens, reverse than what I am use to. This lens has a Zoom lock but only engages in the wide open (24mm) setting. I think this has just made my permanent lens.
Will update after spending more time with this.

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zuazua to your Buddy List
koomeister

Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Review Date: Oct 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight(comparably), solid built, price is right
Cons:
Front focus, flare

I've received the Sigma EX DG 24-60mm lens from Cameta. Thanks for Bryan from www.the-digital-picture.com who recommends Cameta to me or otherwise I would not have bought it with them.

I paid US$200 for this lens (however, US$50 for shipping :P) - I find this price more than reasonable - given the kit lens is close to this amount.

The lens feel solid, and probably a whole lot handier when travelling than the 24-70 version. I think the zoom range is good enough for indoor / family photos. Filter size is just right.

Though I do have things to complain about it - its front focusing (how do I fix it myself? As my Canon 450 don't have micro adjustment) and it has the flare problem given that the light source wasn't even inside the picture. Having said that, the flower hood seems to be able to fix the problem.

Overall, price & build quality is really good. I'm not sure about the optical quality as I only use an entry model DSLR.

Oct 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add koomeister to your Buddy List
pointerDixie21

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp as a tack at f/2.8, great colors, great contrast, great focusing accuracy (after serviced by Sigma, EXCELLENT build quality
Cons:
24mm isn't very wide on a crop cam, had to send it in to Sigma for Front Focusing issue (which was resolved fast and well.

This lens is sharp as can be even at f/2.8. It produces great colors and contrast and a very pleasing bokeh. Build quality is phenomenal, being just shy of L like. Not super heavy, and having the f/2.8 throughout the zoom in great. I compared this to several comparable lenses and it holds up against the 24-70mm f/2.8 L at 1/5 the cost!

Absolutely the best bargain lens I have EVER come across.

Aug 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pointerDixie21 to your Buddy List

Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 EX DG Lens