Markins Q-Ball M10

Page:  1 · 2

John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Aug 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $389.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Smooth, solide, fine engineering.
Cons:

Compared to competition, this ballhead is top notch and a lot cheaper. Used with wimberley sidekick on a Benro C-227 carbon, this ballhead is really responding to what i expected from a quality product.

Aug 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
WThiry

Registered: Jul 26, 2005
Review Date: Jul 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $389.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SMOOTH, holds a 400mm f/2.8 IS perfectly, and allows free movement, easy to use
Cons:

I just bought the M20, but I wanted to post this review. New to the ballhead usage, but this thing is great. Matched up with my new Gitzo 1325 tripod, and my Gitzo 1321 leveling plate, I gave this a whirl today at 4 soccer games. This sure beats using a monopod. Leaves my hands free for a 70-200 when the action get too close for the 400mm. Was thinking about purchasing a Wimberely Sidekick, but as of now I don't feel I need it with this. The range of motion is great with this ballhead, and I let my hands off of it and it stays put with the lens on it, no tipping etc. Its a gem..........

Jul 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WThiry to your Buddy List
gordon l

Registered: Aug 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Works excellently.
Cons:

I have used to Markins ballhead for approximately 6 months. I am very pleased. It holds everything in place like it should. It's easy to use. It never locks up. I've used it with the Wimberly sidekick smoothly with 300/2.8L and it works great. It has helped improve my photography dramatically. Highly recommended.

Jul 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gordon l to your Buddy List
Denizen

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: May 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfection. Sturdy, smooth, secure, fast and easy to control even down to incremental adjustments.
Cons:
Panning lock could be stronger.

I was avoiding spending the money for this but was suffering with lesser heads and that translated to never using one.
Now that I have the Markins, I don't regret the price one bit. Well worth the money.
The tension knob is adjustable and can be locked so that when it is loosened completely it is loose enough to move freely and easily but not carelessly flop over. Also, you can tighten the head to where firm pressure will make smooth, accurate adjustment without having to loosen then tighten.

Also, I opted to go with the RRS lever release plate and L bracket. This makes for an unbeatable set up!!

As noted by many others, the panning lock could certainly be stronger but for me it hasn't been a problem.

May 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Denizen to your Buddy List
mervifwdc

Registered: May 18, 2005
Posts: 2095
Review Date: Mar 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: light weight, ease of use, can adjust without taking your eye from the viewfinder, works with standard L brackets
Cons:
none yet!

I have the M-20, not the M-10 but the review seems appropriate. I am finding that framing up images is now much simpler, and much more of a pleasure than with an 3 way head (that I used to use).

I especially like the way that you can set the tension such that it will hold the camera/lens in any given position, yet it's possible to move it manually without touching the knobs. Very fine adjustment is possible, and very quick to get used to.

It has also enabled me to use L brackets (I went with the Kirk) on an EOS 1DMII and being able to flip the camera from landscape to portrait is very nice, as you can maintain the same framing!

Merv.

Mar 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mervifwdc to your Buddy List
realkuhl

Registered: Apr 22, 2003
Review Date: Jan 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very light, very strong and works quite well. A dream ballhead to use after dealing with the problems with
Cons:
Not Cheap to own the best

Started with a Manfrotto cheap Ballhead.

"Upgraded" to the Acratech "Ultimate Ballhead" which has many problems that keep it from being ultimate to most that actually use it.

Upgraded to the Markins and I'm a very very happy camper. Just returned from Winter in Utah where I used this ballhead in 10 degree weather. No problem and the design makes it easy to use.

It is my dream ballhead and I'm glad I'm not dreaming.....

Jan 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add realkuhl to your Buddy List
Michael-M

Registered: Apr 21, 2002
Review Date: Oct 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent fit and finish(gray Anodized). positive locking, easy adjustments.
Cons:

this ballhead is a dream to use. every movement is smooth as a babies butt.
i bought the anodized gray, and on top of the 055MF3, it looks awesome.
some say to get an aftermarket QR, but i find the Markins QR which has a safety pin built in to be an added sense of security.
i can't understand why others don't include the pin.........just imagine, you loosen the QR lock and not realizing the camera is at a slight angle, swoosh, there goes your hard earned bucks.

Oct 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael-M to your Buddy List
MadMike

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality and finish, feels like it is built for eternety. Very smooth movement and operation.
Cons:
Expensive, but the price is justified...

I use mine with a Kirk L-bracket and its a killer combo. I didn't have any problems of any kind to this day. I use it for landscapes and macro.

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MadMike to your Buddy List
mt-m

Registered: Mar 15, 2004
Review Date: Sep 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $315.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very poitive ball locking, excellent finish, fairly light
Cons:
Panning base still moves even when completely locked

My only gripe with the M10 is that the panning base is never really completely locked. When using a long lens, any bump against it will cause the ballhead to rotate, although the panning knob is fully tightened.

This was not really noticeable until I mounted my 300 2.8 IS lens, although you have to be quick while mounting the ballhead to the tripod to get enough momentum with the twist so the ballhead tightens to the tripod. If you lose the momentum, the panning base will rotate before the ballhead is tight enough on the tripod.

According to Markins, this is the design limitation (although they don't really consider it a limitation). Panning base lock on the Markins is actually a steel rod that extends against the ballhead's inner wall, so the point of contact is very small, thus offering only limited locking capacity. My RRS BH-55, which uses a "drum brake" design is dead solid when locked (the panning base, that is).

Otherwise the ballhead is simply great. Fit and finish are excellent and operation is silky smooth.

Sep 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mt-m to your Buddy List
lenroyles

Registered: May 15, 2005
Review Date: Aug 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $384.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderfully smooth in operation. Friction control and panning base work faultlessly. Clamps up solid.
Cons:
None for me. Would be nice to have quality like this at a cheaper price, but that's my wallet's fault.

My first big-league ball-head. Very easy to set-up and use. My sample's clamp knob is captive and for those that don't like the security pin, it looks as though it is now removable with a 2mm(?) hex key. As most of my plates and brackets do have recesses that work with the pin I consider this a plus. Conversly I only have one plate with provision for fitting stop screws, so this system works best for me. My knob came with a grey insert.

Aug 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lenroyles to your Buddy List
bander

Registered: May 29, 2004
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $389.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The Markins is well made, looks great, functions very smoothly and when you lock it down it is locked - no slipping! It has the traditional Arca-Swiss/Kirk knob layout that I prefer. I tried the RRS BH-55, but didn't like the controls being on both sides of the head and the RRS didn't operate as smoothly. I also prefer the tension control of the Markins (I actually use the M20) and my gear feels secure when I have everything loose as I often frame shots with both the panning and ball knobs loosened. It is also relatively light and has a low profile.
Cons:
Speaking from pure vanity, the M20 looks rather small on my G1325. The RRS ballhead looked great, but I couldn't abide its personality.

Aug 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bander to your Buddy List
hir0

Registered: Nov 13, 2004
Review Date: Aug 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: the ball action is very smooth, as is the panning base. once you lock the ball down - it's not moving. this head is a joy to use. even with the ball unlocked and the panning base unlocked, there's no play or wobble.
Cons:
the panning base lock not very strong - but it's strong enough to keep it from turning while using the thing. i noticed when i locked it down to screw it onto my tripod legs, there was some slippage.

this is a great ballhead. the pin on the clamp doesn't bother me at all. doesn't take much to loosen the clamp enough to lift the plate out of the clamp. actually, i like the pin. don't have to worry about my gear sliding out if i leave it too loose. the only downside, is Markins didn't offer Fed Ex. i hate waiting around for big brown.

Aug 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hir0 to your Buddy List
Tom Conte

Registered: Mar 8, 2002
Review Date: Jan 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Head is smooth as butter, very well finished using "hard-anodized" aluminum process with a metal ball, very light weight (1.12lbs), holds a lot (88lbs)
Cons:
The supplied clamp has a non-captive knob, and an annoying locking pin (get a different clamp)

There are a lot of contenders for ball heads these days, and this is a category leader in my view. It is extremely well made and operates very smoothly. The main knob is progressive as opposed to 'binary', meaning you can adjust the tension on the fly. Some other ball heads separate the main knob and the tension into two knobs. I think I like the progressive approach better, it's all there. There's an Arca-swiss style finger knob in the main knob that lets you limit how much the main knob can be unlocked, thus providing a tension limit.

This thing is almost as light as the Acratech UBH, but more traditional in styling. If you want a beefier head for, say, atop a Gitzo 3- or 5-series tripod, I'd recommend going for the M20, although the M10 will serve there too.

The panning base is ultra smooth, and that is nice for Wimberley sidekick users.

My only gripe is that the supplied clamp has a non-captive knob (meaning it can be unscrewed and fall off) and also a 'locking pin' that makes sliding the plate on and off impossible without fully unscrewing the clamp. My advice: get the 'NQS' (no quick shoe) version and then get a clamp from Acratech or -- better still -- a lever clamp from RRS.

Also with their distributor now in Canada, it is easier to get one of these. It used to be you had to order from Korea, or from nikonians.org.

Jan 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Conte to your Buddy List

Markins Q-Ball M10