Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG EX HSM

102 265386 Mar 17, 2013
Sigma_150_macro

A new optical formula from Sigma affording greater working distance from subject than the popular 100mm focal length. The special lens elements and optical coatings of this lens give superior sharpness and contrast across the focal plane

Lens Construction: 16 Elements in 12 Groups
Angle of View: 16.4 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 38cm/15.0 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:1
Filter Size: Diameter 72mm
Dimensions Diameter: 79.6mm X Length 137mm
3.1 in. X 5.4 in.
Weight: 895g/31.6 oz.
Corresponding AF Mounts SIGMA, CANON, NIKON (D), FOUR THIRDS
* Nikon mount of this lens is not equipped with an aperture ring, therefore, depending on the camera model some functions may not work.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

bigsy

Registered: Aug 24, 2003
Review Date: Dec 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, easy to use, great build quality.
Cons:
slow auto focus but image quality makes up for this for sure

I've always wanted to try macro and never got the results I wanted from any of my zoom lenses with various attachments..(ie 100-400L with 77mm close up lense) After reading both FM reveiws and DP reviews on every macro I could find I decided to give the 150mm f2.8 sigma a go and the reveiws were spot on, This has to be the sharpest lense I've used, I was also going to purchase a dedicated macro light but have got some great results from using my 580ex off camera hand held, im no expert so I've put in a link below to help you judge for your self if your trying to make a decicion on this one!!

Dec 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bigsy to your Buddy List
busterboy

Registered: Apr 28, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 100% tack sharp and balanced very niceley. Superb focus range for my needs.
Cons:
Canon converters will not physically fit this lens.

My lens collection consists of nothing but quality Canon lenses and never even considered buying a third party lens until I read all the reviews on this latest offering from Sigma.

Having had the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM for over a year for some reason I never got to grips with it. I cannot fault the canon lens but I really never had the success I wanted from it.

Within the first hour of having this Sigma lens I was overwhelmed with the overall quality.. build and suberb results I was acheaving straight out of the box.

I know its always the man behind the camera but this is a fantastic lens.
Buy one now..

Dec 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add busterboy to your Buddy List
Craig Lockett

Registered: Jul 30, 2003
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $490.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, color, contrast, sharpness
Cons:
None so far.

This is the first non Canon lens that I have used and first non "L" lens I've used in a really long time with the exception of my Canon 100mm macro which I just sold. I must say that according to my preliminary tests on this lens and compared to all my other "L" glass this lens is the sharpest piece I own. For the price I am glad I decided to give it a try. The working distance is just what I was looking for and the image quality surpassed expectations.

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Craig Lockett to your Buddy List
LarryFRCGP

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, fast silent focussing, comapct size, nice shoe mount
Cons:

Never had a sigma lens until this one. Been argonising over a perfect macro lens and was undecided bewteen this 150mm f/2.8 and the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro-nikkor. Saw a lot of sample pics and was indeed more impressed with this sigma 150mm. Need the f/2.8 for my ageing eyes too.

My friend was persuading me to buy the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro which is more costly than this sigma. After seeing my pics, he asked me if I wanna trade this with his Tamron 180mm!!

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LarryFRCGP to your Buddy List
Roy_H

Registered: Jun 21, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $569.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, autofocus good enough to function as a medium telephoto lens.
Cons:
Canon extenders will not physically mount to the lens, only Sigma's converters will work.

I have used the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, Tamron 90mm macro, and the Tamron 180mm F3.5 Macro.

Autofocus was quick and sharp and comparable to the Canon 100mm USM even when composing Macro shots. Far superior to the Tamrons.

Resolution was great as with all the macros. Comparable to the Canon 100mm, but not quite as good (by a hair) as the Tamron 180mm or the Tamron 90mm stopped down to 5.6 or lower. At 2.8, the Sigma was much better than the Tamron 90mm @ f2.8.

Build quality appears nice and solid, but not quite as good as the Canon in hand. SIgma notes this lens will work with teleconverters, but unlike some of their telephoto lenses, this lens will "only" work with their converters, not the Canon extenders.

In summary, considering price, size, image quality, and autofocus speed, I consider this the best macro lens value and I prefer it to the other lenses discussed.

Nov 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Roy_H to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect Macro lens...especially with digital sensors.
Cons:
None Yet

I cannot say enough about this lens. Its probably the BEST macro I have ever used. Its working distance is not too far not too close, just right. Lens feels well balanced in the hands and on the camera...I use it with a 1D and 20D. The results from 2.8 to f16 are OUTSTANDING. Very Slight loss at f22..but then again so does Canons 180, 100, 50 and 60. As a telephoto the images resemble the smae sharpness as my 135f2L...it hasnt got the focus speed, but it does deliver the results. Flare is almost NON existent in this lens. I use it without any filters and without the supplied lens hood and I havent seen any flare yet. It is outstanding as a macro. Only gripe, it doesnt take Canon 1.4x converters...no dramas, will have to invest in a Sigma 1.4x. Apart from that I am in love with this lens. The quality I get from my 300f2.8 is almost identical...except for colour saturation..Sigma is slightly less...easily fixed in PS.
As a dedicated MACRO....you cannot go wrong with this baby, this is a lens I will not be getting rid of...its a keeper. Well done Sigma...at last an equal to "L" glass from an aftermarket company.

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
canonpro

Registered: May 9, 2005
Review Date: Nov 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $565.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, built like a tank, comes with great lens shade/tripod/case, excellent quality even with a 1.4x teleconverter, and uses 72mm filters.
Cons:
Heavy. some hunting on a 10D.

I had the Canon 100 2.8 macro, and tried out the Sigma 150, and was blown away with the sharpness and quality. (especially when printing larger than 8x10). Needless to say, the 100 went up on eBay. I looked at purchasing the Canon 180 3.5 L, I borrowed one for a weekend, and could not tell a difference between the sharpeness of it and the 150. (just a slight difference in color, nothing really noticeable). This is one of the best lenses made for Canon now handsdown.

P.S. And as far as speed of focusing, as others have complained, get over it, its a MACRO lens, you cant compare it to a normal telephoto!!!

Nov 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonpro to your Buddy List
Kirk77

Registered: Dec 5, 2004
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: What a lens......WOW. comes with Tripod collar, hood, takes converters, built rock solid, and best of all it is SHARP.
Cons:
doesnt have f32...no real problem though.

Ive used this lens for a while now, cannot fault it yet. It performs very well indeed.
The full time manual focus is a bonus, well done Sigma. Basically a fully integrated Macro lens...the best I have used so far.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kirk77 to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $559.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range ( 150mm) quality build, SHARP SHARP SHARP
Cons:
Canon should have thought about this one.

I have had the Canon 100mm macro for several months now and I just updated to this lens, it is superb. Personally I found the Canon to be lacking in working distance, it did not suit my style of macrophotography.
Is this lens sharp???...it ROCKS.
well done Sigma, its as good as your 120-300f2.8.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
ptnik

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $629.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a TANK, and not too heavy either, f2.8 @ 150mm, tripod collar, hood included, great warranty
Cons:
none so far

Top lens indeed.
Its as sharp as the Canon 100 with greater working distance. Handles extremely well with focussing ( for a macro that is)
The lens performs just as good as it looks. The only thing that would make this a better lens would be an Image stabilizer...but then again, not even Canon's macros have that.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ptnik to your Buddy List
heyjae

Registered: May 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp wide open. Great size & focal length
Cons:
Focus hunts in low light.

This is one sharp lens. Great size and weight too. Not too big, not too small. Works great the Sigma 1.4x TC with little if any image degradation. The fault I could find was some low hunting.

Nov 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add heyjae to your Buddy List
PaulRobin

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: One macro of high quality with a generous dive...
Cons:

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PaulRobin to your Buddy List
Sprout Crumble

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality all round, build quality, tripod ring and hood included, sheer value. Did I mention image quality?
Cons:
You're kidding right? . Okay, its a little heavy for handholding near life-size.

Its hard to review a lens this good without gushing praise all over the place and sounding like a fanboy.

Great colours, contrast, sharpness and bokeh. Smooth focusing with a limiter and very high quality build.

I'm sorry, I know the Canon 180mm L is a fine lens but you'd have to be mad to pay an extra 25% for it over the Sigma. The fact it actually sells for three times as much is just beyond belief.

Highest recommendation.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sprout Crumble to your Buddy List
moffo

Registered: Jun 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $569.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp Flexible and hand-holdable Tripod ring *is* removeable (on mine at least.)
Cons:
none that I can see

Using this primarily for insect macro. Compares favorable to the microNikkor 60 on sharpness with, as expected, much better working distance. Hand-holdable with flash bracket mounted to the tripod socket - makes a very flexible rig.

I've had great results as a modest telephoto as well - sharp pictures, good bokeh. Excellent color and contrast.

Does start to lose sharpness up close at apertures smaller than f/11.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add moffo to your Buddy List
xmattkx

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Sep 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp!!! HSM isn't bad considering that this is a Macro. Nice fit and finish.

Over the past year I have owned the following Macros:
Canon 50mm f2.5
Canon 100mm USM
Canon 100mm non-USM
Tamron 90mm
Sigma 50mm
Sigma 100mm

Now I have the 150mm and without a doubt, this is my favorite macro! It is simply so sharp! I like the working distance, it is less bulky than the 180s and it is more practical for insects than the 100s.

I have always loved my macro lenses, and for some reason Sigma simply gets it right here, moreso than in any of their other lenses. A 150 is a great focal length for Macro.

The bokeh is stunning, and contrast and saturation are always dead-on.

I love the quick release tripod ring, I love everything about this lens. It will be in my bag for a long time to come.

Sep 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add xmattkx to your Buddy List
penghai

Registered: May 21, 2002
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, very solid build, excellent tripod collar.
Cons:
Weight, not so fast AF.

This is a very solid lens with excellent imaging quality and color. I have a Canon 100 f2.8 macro as well. Compared to the Canon, this one is sharper and has much solid build.

When used as portrait lens, it gives better blurry background than the Canon 100 f2.8.

The only week part for this lens is AF speed. This may or may not be an issue. Since many people do not use AF for macro.

Another issue is weight. This lens is heavy compared to Canon 100 f2.8. Add a macro bracket and flash it could become very heavy.

The included tripod collar makes this lens very easy to switch from horizontal to vertical format.

This is an excellent lens. Highly recommended.

Sep 7, 2005