Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG EX HSM

102 264894 Mar 17, 2013
Sigma_150_macro

A new optical formula from Sigma affording greater working distance from subject than the popular 100mm focal length. The special lens elements and optical coatings of this lens give superior sharpness and contrast across the focal plane

Lens Construction: 16 Elements in 12 Groups
Angle of View: 16.4 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 38cm/15.0 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:1
Filter Size: Diameter 72mm
Dimensions Diameter: 79.6mm X Length 137mm
3.1 in. X 5.4 in.
Weight: 895g/31.6 oz.
Corresponding AF Mounts SIGMA, CANON, NIKON (D), FOUR THIRDS
* Nikon mount of this lens is not equipped with an aperture ring, therefore, depending on the camera model some functions may not work.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

Colin Winhall

Registered: Jan 24, 2007
Review Date: Jan 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build, SHARP SHARP SHARP! Great bokeh
Cons:
Preferably need a tripod as it's quite heavy.

Best Buy I have yet in my photography 'career'

You won't be disappointed with this lens!

Check http://www.winhall.net for examples of what this lens is capable of, check eye macros and macro section.

Colin Winhall.

Jan 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Colin Winhall to your Buddy List
rebelxtnewbie

Registered: Jun 19, 2006
Review Date: Jan 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: quality build, great included accessories, tack sharp even at 2.8, silent HSM
Cons:
SLOW AF!! Thats it

I had both the Canon 100mm f2.8 & the Sigma 150 f2.8. They are both fine lenses. Sharpness and color was a little better on the Canon but you really had to pixel peep to notice the difference. The extra reach was nice too.

Being an EX lens build quality was excellent. Also Sigma includes the lens hood, tripod collar and a nice padded case. So it becomes a better value than the canon. I wish Canon would follow suite.

The biggest difference was the AF speed. Yes this is a macro and for macro shots usually best to use MF, but it would be nice to be able to use this as a tele lens. The AF was really slow. The Canon was noticably faster.

Jan 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rebelxtnewbie to your Buddy List
Ali Zandieh

Registered: Dec 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb image quality, even at f/2.8. Nice bokeh. Silent HSM.
Cons:
Heaviest macro lens I ever used. Somewhat difficult to handhold on an EOS 30D. I would have been happier if this lens had an IS, even if it made it heavier!

This is my third Sigma macro lens in the past 10 years and I am very happy with it. It is heavy, but it feels solid. Images are sharp even at F2.8. I use this lens on a Canon EOS 30D. This lens produces exceptional results.

Autofocus is reliable and silent, but a bit slow. I guess this is normal for such a macro lens. You wouldn't use autofocus for close-up work any way. Its focal length and wide aperture make this lens suitable for portraits as well.

A 3 position focus limiter switch minimizes focus hunting. The supplied lens hood needs to be mounted at all times.

I like the fact that it has an internal focusing system. The front element doesn't extend or rotate when focusing.

Although I am very happy with the optical quality of this lens, it is somewhat difficult to handhold. On a 1.6x camera such as the EOS 30D, the effective focal length becomes 240mm. This means you need to have very steady hands, or shoot in bright light, or increase camera ISO, or use a tripod.

One of the benefits of a lens based IS system (besides obtaining sharp images) is to stabilize the view finder image, thereby reducing eye strain. If this lens had an IS system, I don't think I would have taken it off of my camera. Nonetheless, I have learned to have very steady hands when using this lens. The end results are worth it.

I gave an overall rating of 9/10 due to the absence of the IS.

Here are a few sample images:

Dec 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ali Zandieh to your Buddy List
Peter Wirtoft

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Review Date: Sep 25, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Perfect focus, Solid construction, no CA, Extremly sharp.
Cons:
AF hunts a bit at close range

I now recieved my lens from service after having a frontfocus problem with it.
The guys at "TURA" made a perfect job in calibrating the lens and the AutoFocus is now in PERFECT condition.

I recommend every Sigma owner with a frontfocus problem to hand it over for service calibration. User "Meaty0" said "they claimed the lens couldn't be calibrated at all".

They are wrong,, turn it in...

And I was wrong to give it only 7 before (Its a 9 or 10)

Sep 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Wirtoft to your Buddy List
Peter Wirtoft

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Review Date: Sep 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Very Sharp, no CA, Fits perfekt in my hands. Very good lense for face photos.
Cons:
Unreliable AF, AF hunts at close range and in low light. Short DOF at close range.

I had this lens for two weeks and now I turned it in for service because of focusing problem.
At 3 meter the focus was short 15 cm.
The service guy at "Tura Scandinavia" said it was easy to fix. Hope its true.

Using a Canon 350D.

Otherwise, this is a sharp lens. Once the target is in focus the result is very satisfying.

Have some testimages taken during the first two weeks of use.

The weight of the lens is a bit much sometimes, but it feels steady i my hands.

If the focusproblem is fixable this lens can be recommended, otherwise I would not recommend this lens to anyone with a "Canon 350D".

Sep 7, 2006
Jurgen markdal

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: Sep 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: reasonably sharp, good focusing ring, well dampened
Cons:
poor build quality

After having owned this lens for about a month now, the lens fell over while standing on a short tripod for macro purposes. The lens fell on the grass and broke right through the middle!
The plastic back part of the lens is fixed to a metal front frame by means of 3 really tiny screws. These screws are embedded in the plastic. This really is a very weak construction!
Take a look at these images:

Sep 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jurgen markdal to your Buddy List
sockie

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Aug 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp with canon 20D, excellent macro and telephoto capabilities
Cons:
weighty, but to be expected from an f2.8 optic

I used to have reservations about buying sigma lenses...

I bought this lens as I wanted both a 1:1 macro lens and a telephoto prime lens for my canon 20D. On paper this lens appeared to fit the bill, so I took the plundge and bought one.

I was amazed by how sharp the images were stright away - even on the 20Ds small LCD screen, the difference was apparent.

Compared to my canon 17-40L and 28-105II USM, images form the 150mm Sigma require much less USM/sharpening.

Colour is neutral, and out-of-focus blur attractive. HSM is on a par with USM in terms of speed and noise (or lack of). Build quality is equal to the canon L series.

Little things like the three step focusing limiter, and including the tripod ring, lens hood and lens case make for a pleasant change.

I would highly recommend this lens both for its macro and telephoto capabilities (240mm on x1.6 CMOS)

Aug 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sockie to your Buddy List
ARCHIART

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic Sharpness, Fulltime Manual Focus, Quiet HSM, Nice case, hood, and collar
Cons:
Aperture only up to f22

I bought this lens over Canon's best selling macro 100mm and expensive 180mm. The longer focal length makes it easier take pics w/o disturbing your subjects and also allows you to have more blurry bokeh. This lens also comes with a tripod color, which allows you conveniently change from vertical to horizontal, and it adds stability with your lens better balanced on your tripod. It is a little slow to focus, but since you will most likely be using manual focus a lot of the time anyway, this is not a big problem.

Jul 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ARCHIART to your Buddy List
zeljkito

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Jul 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, working distance, overall package (bag collar, hood)
Cons:
a bit soft wide open specially at infinity, handholdability at 1:1.

Having Canon EFS - 60 f/2.8 in my bag decided I want to try something with bigger working distance (approx 35 cm), so I took a plunge and bought Sigma 150. Knowing all the facts you should know prior to buying macro fixed focal, I must say I'm very satisfied.

Yes, focus can hunt and be a bit sluggish, but that's a price to pay for Macro capability lens, even with limiter.

But HSM does pretty good job nevertheless. In Macro mode, there is a serious issue of handholdability as 150 mm (plus crop factor) can be real pain, and does take some practise, and use of tripod if you can spare to carry one. It is awesome for bugs that can be scared off pretty easily, also a great portrait lense (atleast for me), if you like tele lens and not working in confined spaces mostly. Color rendition is pretty good, although my copy has a very slight yellow cast.

Whenever I manage to handhold macro shots, it is very sharp, but at 150 mm and wider apertures DOF can be so shallow that slightes breeze can mess up your shot. Of course, it is not lens' fault, but one thinking of buying it deserves to be warned, right :-).
Also someone looking for lighter lens might have something to say abouth the way, but in my book, it is spot on. Not too heavy to carry around, heavy enough to mitigate some handshake....

Comes with camera bad, tripod colar and lens hood. It became inevitable companion for hiking, and nature walks.

Regards
Zeljko

Jul 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zeljkito to your Buddy List
rjanota

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Location: Kuwait
Review Date: Jun 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness even at f 2.8. Ease of use. Silent HSM. Feels good and solid. Price.Including tripod mount!!
Cons:
Slow... very Slow focusing...

Nice lens, well build, very sharp but focusing slowly. But the speed is not so bad - it is Macro lens (true Macro - 1:1)

Jun 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjanota to your Buddy List
summergoose

Registered: Jan 18, 2005
Review Date: Jun 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incrediable bargain, beautiful optics, super sharp color reproduction. Sigma has a winner with this one.
Cons:

I bought this one while I was waiting for the Nikon 105 VR. But instead of a bargain lens I got these beautiful incrediably sharp photos or beautiful soft photos - the optics on this lens are outstanding and give me a wide range of moods.

The color reproduction is outstanding. I'm using it on a Nikon D200, which I understand it isn't supposed to work right on - but my photos don't seem to know that. I prefer the Sigma 150 to my Nikon 60 for macros. I always use a tripod & with the Sigma I use the Sigma ringlight on some photos - I use the ringlight the same as I would use bracketing.

I own two Sigmas the 30 1.4 and now this 150 2.8 - everything else is Nikkor but these two Sigma lenses have made me pay attention to Sigma. They are doing something right.

Jun 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add summergoose to your Buddy List
dyel337

Registered: Apr 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, good macro AF, price, good colors, great contrast
Cons:
none that i can tell so far

I've had this lens for 2 days now, and so far, all i can say is WOW! I'm yet to do any real insect stuff with it, as it's raining outside. but, i had a fly get trapped in my house, and upon examination of the photos, even with a 2x tc, they were VERY sharp, I never knew flies had fur around their big eyes before this lens. I believe this lens sets the standard for pricing and quality in a lens. You cant go wrong with it

Jun 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dyel337 to your Buddy List
Chim450

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Review Date: Jun 22, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I previously commented on how the tripod collar was not removable, however was wrong! Many thanks to MrAkubra42, but as it happens I found out separately anyway.

For those who may think like I did, you need to unscrew the locking knob, and then pull the knob outwards for it to come away.

If I could grade the lens higher than 10 I would do so. As a macro lens with decent use in other areas it is stunning.

Jun 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chim450 to your Buddy List
Meaty0

Registered: Dec 30, 2005
Review Date: Jun 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharpness, Macro at a reasonable distance from subject, Fast focus.
Cons:
Quality...front focusses.

I've owned this lens for several months now and used it a great deal.

For macro shots, it just leaves the opposition in its wake. The shots are pin sharp and being 150mm, I can stay at a reasonable distance from insects etc. without scaring them away. Also, it allows you to use a standard flash, leaving room for the flash illumination to reach the subject. The AF tends to hunt sometimes, but 90% of the time it's fast. I wish it had f/32.

Now for the bad. I'm sorry to rain on everyone else's parade, but I have to question build quality. When I started using it as a standard telephoto lens, I discovered it front-focusses noticeably. When I contacted Sigma (in Australia), they claimed the lens couldn't be calibrated at all. I've had appalling service here from Sigma and it certainly makes me think twice before ever purchasing another product from them. It's a shame because this lens has such potential. I may just sell it and try again though.

I have to take two points off for front focus and one for service.

Jun 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Meaty0 to your Buddy List
WideOpenVision

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: the sharpest lens i've ever had for now, built like a tank, focus is fast and smooth, heavy but feels good in your hands, colors and details are amazing
Cons:
Hunts a bit but it's normal for a lens of this kind

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add WideOpenVision to your Buddy List
Peter Bennett

Registered: Mar 24, 2006
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Just a note to Chin 450....... I just recently purchased a new 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG HSM lens........ Mine came with a removeable tripod collar.
I agree it's a great lens.....won't be swapping this one for a while.

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Bennett to your Buddy List

Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG EX HSM