Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG EX HSM

102 263511 Mar 17, 2013
Sigma_150_macro

A new optical formula from Sigma affording greater working distance from subject than the popular 100mm focal length. The special lens elements and optical coatings of this lens give superior sharpness and contrast across the focal plane

Lens Construction: 16 Elements in 12 Groups
Angle of View: 16.4 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9 Blades
Minimum Aperture: F22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 38cm/15.0 in.
Maximum Magnification: 1:1
Filter Size: Diameter 72mm
Dimensions Diameter: 79.6mm X Length 137mm
3.1 in. X 5.4 in.
Weight: 895g/31.6 oz.
Corresponding AF Mounts SIGMA, CANON, NIKON (D), FOUR THIRDS
* Nikon mount of this lens is not equipped with an aperture ring, therefore, depending on the camera model some functions may not work.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

firewireguy

Registered: Feb 20, 2006
Review Date: May 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp lens. I've never had to apply any sharpening in post produciton with this lens, it's just incredible. The focal length is really good for me. It's supurbly built and the tripod collar is interchangable with my Nikon 70-200. The bokeh lovely.
May 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add firewireguy to your Buddy List
prh5551

Registered: Mar 7, 2008
Review Date: May 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $489.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, price, construction
Cons:

my first prime. impressive macro and telephoto. produces great bokeh. because of this lens I am considering the sigma 70mm macro also.

May 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add prh5551 to your Buddy List
gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: May 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible IQ at a reasonable price, lens hood and tripod collar included, feels and looks solidly built.
Cons:
Slow focusing, but I knew that going in from other review here.

I bought this lens because I needed more working distance than my 50mm CM provided. I was scaring too many bugs, not good for them or me. I considered lenses in the 100mm range, including Canon, Tamron and SIgma, but concluded that I would be better off going to a 150mm. Based on the reviews here I decided to try this lens. I'm not disappointed. Iit's every bit as good as everyone says it is. The IQ is just amazing. Build quality looks and feels excellent, I suppose time will tell. A beautiful lens hood and a tripod collar are included with the lens (along with a nice case which I will never use).
The big drawback of this lens is indeed the slow focusing. Wow, but this lens can be slow. Sometimes it will snap right in, but those times are the exception. If ever a lens demanded manual focus, this is it. But it is after all a macro lens, so I'll be using manual focus most of the time anyway. Still sometimes you can grab a shot before it gets away with AF, but you can pretty much forget that with this lens. Of course, knew this going in form the other reviews, but I was still kind of surprised at just HOW slow it can be.
But its NOT going back. No way.

May 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Mar 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $610.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: For the price this is a great macro lens. Also lighter than the more professional Canon version.
Cons:
Slow AF...but MF is used a lot in macro. Need a stead hand and fast shutter speed.

Sample Photos taken with a Nikon D80

-Roy

Mar 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
jlkeck

Registered: Mar 15, 2008
Review Date: Mar 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, build quality
Cons:

great product I've used as both macro & telephoto with equally great results

Mar 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlkeck to your Buddy List
Chad Schulz

Registered: Oct 25, 2007
Review Date: Dec 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build Quality, Great Bokeh, 1:1 Macro, Excellent IQ, Quiet AF, No Distortion, Exceptional Value.
Cons:
Some Hunt and Search on Auto-Focus under low light and Macro.

Probably the best value for Nikon dSLRs. This lens has to be consider almost pro-grade. It's built like a tank, and the picture quality is exceptional.

Extremely sharp, great IQ, smooth bokeh, and full 1:1 macro.

The only small problem is the AF motor hunts under low light and macro circumstances--you'll probably need to use MF at this focal length for macro anyway.

If is wasn't for the telephoto focal length I'd leave it on my camera full time. It is simply the best lens I probably ever use that'll cost me under $1000.

Dec 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chad Schulz to your Buddy List
jf3197

Registered: Jul 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color rendition, very sharp, solid build, excellent value for the money.
Cons:

I realize this lens gets many kudos here, but after having used it for over a year photographing my wife's jewelry (she is a jewelry designer), I just have to say that this lens really is excellent, tack sharp, solidly built and extremely well worth the money. Sigma hit a home run with this one. I have no other macro lenses to compare it to, but none of my Canon "L" lenses are sharper. When in the field (I am primarily a landscape photographer), it is a little heavy to tote around, but after all, it's 72mm, 2.8 glass. And on those clear days with no clouds and flat light, I go macro and get beautiful results with this guy. This is a great lens! One of my favorites. the only reason I didn't give it a 10 on build is that it is not as "weather tight" as an "L" lens, but I have had it in dusty and damp conditions without a problem, so far.

Nov 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jf3197 to your Buddy List
RandyR

Registered: Feb 24, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: superb image quality, even with the 1.4 TC
Cons:

This is a great close up lens. It allows you to get 15" from the subject. Be sure to stop it down though for DOF

Oct 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RandyR to your Buddy List
ragebot

Registered: Mar 1, 2006
Review Date: Oct 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Consistently good IQ
Cons:

I own a Sigma sd10, sd14, Canon 1d2, xti. I have modified two Sgima 1.4TCs by switching the rear plates so I can mount all my EF mount lens on my Sigmas and all my SA mount lens on my Canons. I have used this lens on both Canon and Sigma bodies. In all cases the IQ has been great. For my style of shooting the long working distance of this lens makes capturing images of insects in the wild much easier. It also takes a 1.4TC with no noticable IQ loss I can see.

After reading some of the other posts that nicked the lens for various reasons I will say 1) I have never dropped this lens or had it fall off a tripod, but I expect it would break if that happened. 2) I have used a couple of other macros and without exception they do not focus as fast as non macro lens. I do lots of wildlife stuff like BIF and expect to be able to capture sharp images of birds flying. But not using a macro lens which is designed to focus with great magnification, not with great speed.

What really impresses me most about this lens is not so much the IQ, but that I consistently get great IQ using this lens. I will often shoot 3-500 macros in a day of shooting, with no drop off in the IQ because I had to change a setting or technique while shooting.

I highly recommend this lens if you need a long working distance, long focal length, fast macro lens. In a pinch it can be used for portraits or as a medium long tele, but it will not AF as fast as a non macro lens. But it is much better for portraits than a portrait lens is for macros.

Oct 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ragebot to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, build, macro ability
Cons:
Focus speed

OK, so I picked this up used from a guy who took 1 picture with it. I'm still not sure why he bought it, but I got a pretty great price on it. After not having a 'true' macro lens for some time, I am so happy with this purchase.
The pluses are the great working distance, the image quality, the bokeh and the build. Man, this thing is how lenses should be built. (I think I know a little about lens build quality as all my other lenses are L's) The built in tripod ring is a nice touch, but the lens is not so heavy as to be a requirement.
The minuses are nit-picky with one exception: focus speed. You might argue (and have a point!) that macros are either supposed to manual focused or not expected to have fast AF. Well, then this lens is spot on. I've seen some folks say that you could use the lens for most any short-tele need. Um, ok. I don't see how as the AF is painfully slow. When used in macro shooting, AF will hunt all over the place. Not too cool when you're trying to get bees and they're already jumpy cause you're two feet away.
Bokeh is awesome, simply awesome. I'd had the f4 lineup of Canon L's (17-40, 24-105, 70-200) and this was my first move back to 2.8's since I sold my Tammy 28-75. The bokeh from this lens prompted me to sell my 24-105 in favor of the 24-70. (I regret that now, btw) The shots you do get (I'm refering to AF speed here) are just incredible!
The only lens in Canon's lineup to offer the working distance is the 180/3.5. The AF there is often mentioned for it's lack of speed. And it would be at least double the price of this lens. Plus the loss of 2.8.
Nah, I think this was a great purchase and if I had to do it all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's a complete no-regret purchase.

Jul 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
simon_k

Registered: Mar 12, 2007
Review Date: Jun 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: great build quality, silent AF, very sharp at close distances (straight from f/2,8), takes Kenko 1,5x TC without loosing much IQ, internal focusing
Cons:
f/2,8 useless for non-macro shots, AF hunting on 350D/Rebel XT

I bought this lens used for 450 (~600US-$) and I really love it!
f/2,8 ist quite soft at non-macro shots, but as I use it for macros and on a tripod most of the time at f/8 or greater that's absolutely no problem.
The build quality ist really impressive. The focus ring is perfectly dampted and the lens hood is the best of all my lenses. Nothing like the crappy hood of the 100-400L. No wobbling at all.

So it's well priced, great IQ, joy to use... I would definitively buy it again!

Jun 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add simon_k to your Buddy List
Louis Otto

Registered: May 25, 2007
Review Date: May 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Built like a Tank, Silent Autofocus
Cons:
Slightly too long focal length on cropped sensors, makes it hard to handhold. Not as sharp as I was lead to believe. AF hunts quite a lot.

The build quality is unparalleled, trust me. A tank would be an understatement.

The autofocus is generally nippy if you're quite close to the focus anyway, otherwise is will hunt for quite a while, especially in low contrast situations.

Personally I didn't find it as sharp as generally reviewed, it may have been that I got a bad copy but I was sad to see it go when I sold it.

I found that on a 350D the lens isn't too fun to use, it really makes the weight unbalanced towards the front and the focal length being around 230mm is hard to use handheld, especially working at such high magnifications!

At f/2.8 the lens is far too soft, but at around f/11 it becomes pretty decent!

May 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Louis Otto to your Buddy List
Gene Lugo

Registered: Apr 30, 2007
Review Date: Apr 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lighting fast AF unless you are up close or in poor light, super sharp across the field, no distortion, CA or other defects to detract from the image, excellent tripod collar that easily removable, good flare control
Cons:
Minor nit-picks - does not work with Kenko TCs, would be nicer if I didn't have to purchase yet another filter set, since my other lenses are 77mm, bokeh could be better, point source highlights become soft nanogons

After reading some of the reviews here and on other forums I was a little hesitant to buy it. I found one online at a decent price, so I decided to take the plunge and haven't looked back since. It is easily as sharp as my 80-200 F2.8 AF-D two ring, focuses noticeably faster, seems to have equal or better contrast, gives the impression it is a well-designed precision instrument in your hands. The three range auto focusing should really be called two range, because one range is totally useless - the close or macro range is prone to hunting, but since at that distance I do not focus the lens but move the camera back and forth, it is a non-issue. I have used this lens to photograph high school LaCrosse matches with no images lost to soft focus, even in heavy overcast conditions on my D200. The HSM is super quiet. The 15" to film plane working distance is ideal for most situations. I am looking forward to getting a hold of a Canon 500D closeup lens and the Sigma 1.4X TC to start playing around with greater image magnifications. Unfortuneately this lens does not work at all with the Kenko TC, which I already have. The Sigma has 10 pins while the Kenko have only 8. In all, I highly recommend this lens without reservation.

Apr 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gene Lugo to your Buddy List
Matt Hunt

Registered: Aug 18, 2005
Review Date: Apr 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and bright. Feels well built and has a good weight to it. Tripod collar easy to loosen when moving from landscape to portrait.
Cons:
Just tow niggles. It is fiddly removing / replacing lens cap when hood is on. The focus ring is feels a little 'rough' unlike Sigma's 100-300mm.

When I was looking for a macro lens I looked at Tamron's 90mm, Sigma's 105mm and this one.

I found the other two lacked the reach that I wanted and Sigma's 105 took and age to focus. I also found it fairly hard to focus.

The 150mm sits well in my hands and has a solid weight that I find very helpful when not using a tripod. The broad focusing ring means that when used with the tripod collar on, there is no obstruction of the focusing ring. Yes, it does not have the fastest AF, but as already said in other reviews, it does not really need it and the limiter is useful.

The lens hood really obstructs removing the cap but I am not sure how that can be avoided.

I have used this lens a great deal in the 3 weeks I have had it and it is probably my best purchase. Well recommended.

Apr 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Matt Hunt to your Buddy List
Jay Taft

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Feb 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp at f2.8 and AF is spot on. Manual focus works well with very fine control, causing some to complain about slow AF. Solid construction and feel. Tripod mount included.
Cons:
None I have found so far.

After trying close-ups of flowers and mushrooms with the EF 50mm macro and the EF 70-200 f4, I was encouraged with the results. I considerd macros in the 90 to 105mm range, and decided to back off a bit farther from the subject with the 150mm macro.

Although is within the 70-200 focal range, the macro capability and the f2.8 max aperture complement the 70-200 f4 very well. Hand-held at f2.8 in bright light it produces very nice images. Stopped down on tripod it is even more impressive. I have not tried it for portraits yet, but that is on my list.

It does have very fine focus control which means a lot of internal rotation to cover the focus range. This characteristic is actually an advantage for macro, especially with a reversed lens attached to the front for aded magnification. Those who prefer fast AF or MF should skip the 150mm macro and get a non-macro lens such as the EF 200mm f2.8.

The 150mm macro is a great lens at a great price point, and I recommend it without reservation for macro photography.

Feb 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Taft to your Buddy List
Jeffrey Myers

Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Review Date: Feb 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Image
Cons:
Little heavy, but that what you get with that much glass. Definitely need a tripod but unless you are a steady steady hand you would need one anyway. Not many cons that i've found in 6 months.

I really like this lens. the 150 sets you farther from your subject but it is a great all around macro. Only one time in 6 months I found myself wishing I had a 50mm in my bag.

Feb 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeffrey Myers to your Buddy List

Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG EX HSM