57 214726 Dec 21, 2016
7.5

Ultra-wide-angle lens for serious applications. Easy to hold and carry at 14.3 oz. (405g). Floating rear focusing system. Sharp images are obtained at all subject distances.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

molson

Registered: Oct 29, 2002
Review Date: Aug 1, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Decent build quality, USM
Cons:
Too big, too heavy, too expensive (C$850!), poor optical performance.

This is one of the biggest disappointments in the Canon EF lens lineup. It suffers from major image degradation toward the edges of the frame at all apertures (although this may be less noticeable on digital cameras with a 1.6x crop factor). Center sharpness is good, but not great. Given the size and cost of this lens, I thought Canon could have produced better results.

If you need a wide angle, stick with Canon's zoom lenses; even the 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 is a better performer than this one.

Update:
I tried another sample of this lens, and found it worse than the first one I owned. Even stopped down to f/11 or f/16, this lens could not resolve even a moderate amount of detail outside the central portion of the frame - everything was just mush (and that's with a sturdy tripod and mirror lockup). I suspect this performance might be acceptable on a low-resolution digital camera with 1.6x cropped FOV, but this lens is simply horrible on a full-frame film camera. I traded this one in on the brilliant EF 17-40mm f4L.

Aug 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add molson to your Buddy List
MAC

Registered: Feb 10, 2002
Review Date: Jul 10, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great color, contrast, hardly any barrel and sharp for this mm! http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery/albuo73
Cons:
A little prone to flare.. no other lens below 20 currently appeals to me except the 17 -40 f4L, but the 20 beats zooms in this range, particularly for barrel.

The 20 is fast, well built, great color and contrast

Balloon visuals.

and my fav scape:

Jul 10, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MAC to your Buddy List
rebel300

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Jun 8, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good detail
Cons:
none I found

Most of you know I really dislike wides (Too much work, I'm lazy)...but this is a very inexpensive suprise on my 10-D. Only use a wide once in a while so the price was right for my use...the detail is pretty decent..no complaints.
LM

Jun 8, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add rebel300 to your Buddy List
junbug

Registered: Apr 23, 2003
Review Date: May 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 35(32)mm equivalent with 10D (1.6 multiplier) so, easy to frame. price. nice bokeh.
Cons:
big (fat). slightly blurred at perimeter (even with clopped image of 10D)

This is my first Canon lens. I purchased it with 10D, because I thought it'll be smooth transition from compact digital. Barrel distortion is more than I expected (my field is architectural and interior photography, so I'm severe on this). Not so impressed with the contrast, but does the job as much as the price. Bokeh is good with close-up. Would be suitable for daily snapshots.

May 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add junbug to your Buddy List
Theresa Z.

Registered: Mar 19, 2002
Review Date: Apr 22, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Nice wide view on film cameras or low focal length multiplier digitals. Ok sharpness
Cons:
Not so great contrast. With focal multipliers on some digitals becomes kind of an intermediate wide.

My experience here isn't the best. I just don't think this lens has the punch I expect. I guess I'm a contrast junky and don't think this lens has much in that area. Could be that I don't have a great one too.

Apr 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theresa Z. to your Buddy List
D.McCauley

Registered: May 9, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lense for the price. I find it sharper than my L-Zoom lenses. Very sharp lense
Cons:

This is a great wide angle lense especially if you are on a budget. It shoots very clear and sharp colorful pictures. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good wide angle lense. I found most pictures taken with this lense much sharper than those taken with the 16-35mm L-Zoom Lense.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add D.McCauley to your Buddy List
lou

Registered: Jan 4, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, color and contrast good.
Cons:
Distortion is minimal.

Looking at the first two reviews, I wonder if i have the same lens. I find it focus's fast and over all distortion is minimal, maybe on a full frame or regular film camera it might me more noticeable.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lou to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: It's a 20...
Cons:
Barrel distortion, not-so-great edge resolution.

Had it, tested it, used a little, wasn't impressed, sold it. At the time my 17-35 was a better 20... But then I shoot with FF and 1.3 crop factor cameras.

revision 06/10/03: I just obtained a second copy of this lens, and it is significantly better than my first one was. This one has very good center performance, and edge performance about equal to my Tokina 17. This 20 still shows some CA at the corners, and significant vignetting at f2.8, notable vignetting at f4, and slight vignetting at f5.6, but the center performance is significantly better than my previous lens. I would rate this one a 3.5 overall if I could.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List
John MacLean

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Mar 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: not many
Cons:
soft and CA

I sold this years ago and got the new (at the time) 17-35, which I felt was a better lens overall. I was getting soft corners and CA on 35mm slide film. Probably D30, D60, and 10D users will never see the faults I did, due to their 1.6x crop. Luckily you'll only get the sweet spot of any and all lenses!

Mar 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John MacLean to your Buddy List

57 214726 Dec 21, 2016