Gitzo 2220 Aluminum Explorer

13 34444 Oct 8, 2010

3 section aluminum Explorer model tripod. Incorporating an articulated center colum for faster and easier multi angle setups such as macro. User adjustable (non fixed) legs with classic Gitzo flip lock system. Weight just under 5lbs and street price just under $200USD.

Jeff Nolten

Registered: Sep 6, 2006
Review Date: Oct 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: heavy, sturdy, flexible
Cons:
none so far

I've had this tripod for quite a while and it has served me well. The articulating upper column allows you to position the camera in just about any angle relative to the tripod. It is heavy and stable and with a BH40 head holds my 5D2, 100-400, and 1.4x absolutely steady. I worried that the clamps on the leg angle wouldn't hold up but we're over eight years without a problem. The little bump/notch that indicates normal leg spread is hard to see. I dabbed it with a little white paint, problem solved. No loose or broken parts so far.

Others have complained that its heavy. Yes, that's good! I use this tripod near my home or car. For hiking or air travel I use a Gitzo G1058 with RRS Bh-25. Just under two pounds, 19" long colapsed and rigid for a 5D + 24-105 or macro lens. The 2220 is the right tool for its job and the 1058 is the right tool for its job.

Oct 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Nolten to your Buddy List
baharr

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Jan 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I would like to start a gitzo monopod review site! I just bought a GM5541 carbon fiber monopod rated to hold 55 lbs with a Canon EOS EF 400 2.8L IS
Cons:

Jan 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add baharr to your Buddy List
Canonised

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Off centre column that allows user to angle it in almost any direction. Very stable up to 10kg.
Cons:
Heavy tripod. Not meant for use on long treks. Bulky. Three locks for the legs need to be opened and locked each time you move to a new location.

I have too many tripods but I bought this one because I needed a new macro tripod. My other tripod was getting long in the tooth and much too light (Giotto).

This tripod looks and feel like its made of good materials but some reviewers have mentioned broken screws so something need to keep an eye out for.

The locking mechanism, bulk and weight makes this tripod quite difficult to use in the field. Which is fine because it was not meant to be a field tripod for me.

When the three top locks are opened and locked to configure to its position, it does not close naturally like other tripods when lifted off the ground. So you need to unlock to close the legs to move to another position - unless you are able to move the legs around without knocking into things. Quite cumbersome. But in the field, because of uneven ground you need to readjust each time you move anyway so its quite tricky.

Also at full height, its not a tall tripod for its size. Fortunately for me, for field work, I use the Gitzo 2530.

Apart from this issues, this tripod is a first class macro tripod. Highly recommended for that function alone.

Thanks for reading.

Nov 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Canonised to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Jun 15, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Nice tripod, seems very strong but
Cons:
Never had the tripod out of the house as I just bought it new from B&H only set it up in my room to try it out. When my I installed my head I decided to try it out. So I grabbed the head and the center column was loose and the reason is the set screw was broken. I mean how can something like this happen with a Gitzo I thought I was buying one of the best. Lucky for me I can return it and now I will go with the Manfrotto

Jun 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
busa1300

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Flexibility and adjustablilty.
Cons:
being a Little lighter would be nice.

Great for macro and uneven gound.

Feb 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add busa1300 to your Buddy List
shinew7911

Registered: Feb 18, 2004
Review Date: Nov 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: flexible, sturdy, quality material, inexpensive
Cons:
some parts are easy to come off, not very light.

Pros:
- This tripod is fantastic if you're into Macro photography or shooting in awkward terrain and need steady sport. You can pretty much have your camera stablized in any position.

- The price is excellent(now it's $50 more expensive than what I have paid 2 years ago), but still an excellent deal.

Cons:
- my biggest complaint is that the rubber padding on the tripod feet can come loose easily, so is the center column's "weight hook". I meant if you observe the individual part of the tripod separately, everything is high quality, but for whatever reason the screws on those 2 parts always unscrew themselves. I ended up using a bit of super glue to "tighten" the screw since I can not imagine there is any situation I would want to take off those parts, now it's perfect!

Nov 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shinew7911 to your Buddy List
LMCasey

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very versatile and stable
Cons:
A bit heavy and packs a bit long

Everything you've read about this tripod is correct. It is very versatile. The legs that lock at any angle is a feature that I have used many times. The twist locks are OK, although I like the newer G-locks on the CF models better. It takes perhaps a little longer to set up this tripod than most others which is a drawback in my opinion. This tripod is steady even with fairly heavy lenses such as 400 5.6. The length when fully collapsed is a bit long to pack, so it's not very good for travelling. The weight too is a bit on the high side when outfitted with a good ballhead; you will be at 6 to 6.5 pounds.

This is a good tripod, and a big step up from a typical "starter" tripod.

I think this equipment will last a good long time.

I heartily recommend this to anyone looking for a good mid-weight tripod.

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMCasey to your Buddy List
Romulus90

Registered: Sep 28, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ease of use - I can set it up completely in 30 seconds with camera mounted, solid with everything I've put on it (D200 + 70-200VR), low cost, the legs can be locked individually at any angle, the center post can be rotated 90* to the legs
Cons:
metal legs are quite cold to handle when it's below freezing out (i've heard CF legs are nicer to handle in cold or hot climates), pod is not near as stable with the center column extended, just a tad heavy even with a light acratech head, folded length is long if you use it for travel

This was my first real tripod and I have really enjoyed it. When I bought it I was not ready to spend 500 on a CF pod, but now this pod is just getting too long to travel with (I have to take my biggest suitcase in order to fit the pod inside). I have used up to a 70-200 lens on the beach (so quite windy) and it had no issues. The legs are quick to setup and extend.. I can get the tripod out and fully setup with the camera mounted in less than 30 seconds (I'm not sure why people complain about the rotating leg locks.. I like them). Like I said, my main reason for upgrading is that the pod does not fit easily into my luggage when I travel.

This is a fine tripod for those just getting into the hobby and perhaps can't justify over $500 for a full blown CF rig. I have thought about selling mine, but it has just been too good to kick out on the street.

Jan 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Romulus90 to your Buddy List
davidearls

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: solid as a rock
Cons:
haven't found them yet

Picked up one of these used from a fellow FMer. I've been using a Bogen 3021BPRO for the past two years, but I'm adding a gimbal head to my kit and thought a second tripod would make sense.

Wish I'd bought this one first. I don't know what else a tripod needs to be except stable, and this thing is stable - more stable, even under load (ballhead/Canon5D/400f5.6L), than the Bogen. Haven't had a chance to try it with the column extended, but it appears that the column is also more stable here than with the Bogen. That would be nice for me; at 6'2", the Bogen ends up being a little too short, and the Bogen column clamping isn't as solid as I'd like.

I like the flexibility in the leg spread; I shoot mainly outdoors, so the pre-set leg angles on the Bogen were more restrictive than anything else. Haven't had a chance to experiment with the tilting column; I was never terribly impressed with the Bogen when the I inserted the column horizontally. Given the column length on this beast, it looks like the only way to get close to the ground with it will be setting the column off at an angle; the Bogen's sole advantage over this pod is that you can leave the bottom of the column off completely.

The weight doen't bother me; I'm not a hiker. My property adjoins a 2400-acre county park, so I don't have far to go to do the outdoors thing.

Just a great piece of kit - a steal for the money.

Jan 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidearls to your Buddy List
seberri

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Apr 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent
Cons:
not so practicle to open

Apr 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add seberri to your Buddy List
RSines

Registered: Apr 26, 2005
Review Date: Feb 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very versatile. Great for macro applications. Gitzo quality.
Cons:
Not the easiest tripod to use. Heavy. No preset leg settings.

I wanted to own a Gitzo and I love this tripod. Very sturdy and I never worry about this tripod blowing over like some lighter models. The hook for the camera bag is very useful. I use mine in the marsh from time to time and placing my bag in the mud is not an option! I love this tripod for its ability to adapt to any level of ground. HOWEVER, there seems to be TOO much control making it slow to set up. For macro this isn't an issue. But I think I was looking for a lighter, faster tripod when I ordered this. The weight has also become an issue on longer hikes. The folded length is a little long making it tough to carry other than in hand.

Feb 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RSines to your Buddy List
majo srnik

Registered: Aug 25, 2004
Review Date: Jan 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Strong, light with much flexability. For outdoor, macro and some product work just perfect.This tripod give you lots of alternatives.
Cons:
well, nothing I gues...

I use with Off-Set Ball Head Gitzo G1275M and this combo is really awesome, Gitzo Explorer G 2220 replaced my Manfrotto 190 and i never look back, specialy for vertical compositions work better ,is maybe a litle too cold in winter but is not a big deal... I love it...

Jan 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add majo srnik to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Jan 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Can be configured every which way imaginable for difficult angular requirements such as hillsides and macro use. Resonable low weight and high rigidity. Very stable under most conditions including windy and unstable ground. Non rotating leg sections very fast to unlock and relock even compared to the carbon fiber Gitzo models
Cons:
Takes getting used to for fast easy setup but once learned becomes very intuitive.

Having previously owning the vastly more expensive carbon fiber model (2227) I had to so called "downgrade" to this one after replacing the previous model. I actually found the bonus of the non rotating (grooved) leg sections superb and an improvement over the previous owned tripods in general. I prefer the quick twist action of this model to all other tripds both flip lock and otherwise. The weight difference was very slight indeed while the decent rigidity remained. This model along with the other Explorer models is grossly underrated as Bogen informed me that the 13lb rating was for the center articulated post set horizontal. When set vertical is rated at a rather conservative 22lbs. Enough for even some large glass and pro bodies. The articulated center column is a wonder of design and is extremely easy to set to the desired angle. For macro work I know of NO equal to this tripod, even on uneven ground such as a hill or mountainside. The flip lock system locking the angle of the legs is fast, easy and reliable with flex ONLY if you place the legs ridiculously far apart with great weight in the center. Once one becomes familiar with the setup procedure of this unique tripod setup is actually faster than a typical tripod. Over tightening the leg locks is a common mistake and a very light twist is all that is needed on this model as the legs are also cleverly notched so as to avoid turning as you tighten.....a wonderful feature indeed. All in all this tripod should be seen and used prior to purchasing any other if possible. I feel in most cases you'll go home with one. Their custom ballistic nylon fitted bag is crazy expensive, but as usual a fitted top flight carry bag isn't cheap so be prepared to ante up the $90USD for it as well. Ballhead optional of course.

Jan 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List

Gitzo 2220 Aluminum Explorer