Gitzo G2227 Explorer

7 24210 Apr 7, 2010

The Explorer incorporates many new ideas in tripod design, individually locking legs that can be fixed at any angle from 0 to 90 and a column that will tilt from the vertical, right over beyond the horizontal and lock solidly at any angle. A swivel at the lock on the column lets you position the angled column over a leg for stability, or between the spread legs to shoot straight down onto the floor. As the name suggests the Explorer is aimed at photographers working in the field, it is quick to use, rugged in construction and innovative in design. Whatever the type of photography you do, the Explorer will help you to discover new ways of using a tripod, it will hold your camera steady in places you might never have thought of and let you capture pictures previously beyond your horizons.

Phil UKNet

Registered: Oct 20, 2007
Review Date: Apr 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light enough to carry around comfortably, fairly small when folded, very high-quality construction, incredibly versatile and flexible, works flawlessly in the field, it's a Gitzo.
Cons:
Puts a dent in your bank account, however, you only ever get what you pay for.

This review is for the Gitzo GT2541EX CF6X Explorer, which I couldn't find on the list. The G2227 seems to be about the closest match. Sorry.

I came so close to buying a cheap imitation Gitzo but at the last moment I came to my senses. I'm glad I did. For what seems like a fairly simple piece of equipment, Gitzo prices seem high ... especially compared to all the cheap knock-offs.

Once you are in the field though, you can feel the quality. Also, with your expensive camera, lens, teleconverter, flash, etc., sitting on the top, you don't want to take any chances. So many times in life it seems that we can get a better deal elsewhere, but all we are really doing is making a false economy.

This tripod is amazing. The leg and centre column design means that you can set it up anywhere, and have your lens pointing wherever you want. It works fine as a standard tripod, but excels doing macro work in the field.

If you are tall and want an eye level tripod while standing up, the GT2541EX probably won't be tall enough. If you have big lenses and gimbal heads, then it probably won't be strong or sturdy enough.

If you want a lightish tripod for travelling and trekking that is extraordinary flexible and, at the same time, constructed to the highest standards, this is the one.

For some photos in the field and more thoughts, see:

Apr 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil UKNet to your Buddy List
RickPerry

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Review Date: Jun 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: FEISOL CT- 3442 Well made, Solid, Good Looking, Lightweight, Total Function, Reasonable Cost
Cons:
None that I have noticed!

Feisol CT- 3442

For the serious photographer: maximum strength with minimum weight.

I had never heard of this company until I caught a reference in another FM blog that just mentioned their existence. I am glad I came across that post - there are no reviews of Feisol in this forum - that is why I am taking time to list this - FM-ers should know about this choice!

The money that the famous tripod companies get is really a little outrageous. Let's face it - a tripod is not that complicated! I can see paying $800 - $1000 for a lens or a camera body - but a tripod ?? I read all reviews I could find on everything out there - the Feisol was the only one that got great reviews and didn't require another mortgage on the house.

I use a Canon 5D mkII with Zeiss lenses most of the time -(50 1,.4 , 85 1.4 also 17-40 Canon L and a 70-200 f4). The body is big and the Zeiss lenses are heavy metal construction. This camera equipment is spectacular - it begs to be on a tripod to get every bit of resolution available - which is lots - believe me!

No sense in buying heavy metal tripods - you never use them - except in the studio. So lightweight was the challenge - yet it had to be strong enought to hold this Canon beast! I wanted something that would improve my images that I would bother taking into the field. Behold Feisol! It features a body frame construction of 7075 aluminum alloy - not the cheap cast stuff that usually shows up in the lower priced units. They say the legs are carbon fiber material that offers a far superior strength when compared to common carbon fiber - I believe them!

Less than 2.4 lbs, the Feisol 3442 is rated at 22.5 lbs - and I am sure that is real - this is a strong platform! I got the CB-50D Ball Head ( $159) which is also realistically rated at 41 lbs - Wow - what a nice unit - smooth as silk -total control and when you lock it - it IS locked! I really can't see paying $300-400 for a tripod head - this Feisol is a bargain!

This is a High Performance Tripod at a reasonable price - thank you Feisol.

Here are a few of their sites to check:

see - http://www.feisol.net/feisol-ball-head-cb50d-with-release-plate-qp144750-p-9.html?osCsid=3eoj50qlupvjgvpb5fdem791h4

Jun 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RickPerry to your Buddy List
Nater

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Review Date: Apr 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great value compared to carbon fiber models with most of the performance. great for small to medium weight systems. Very flexible leg system with infinite leg angles.
Cons:
takes some practice to set up quickly and to know your options for using the tilting center column.

This is a fabulous legset. I use small 35mm equipment and lenses and don't have a need for a larger system. The flexibility of the adjustable center column and the leg angles is great. It does take a little longer to set up but once you practice with it a bit, you can get set up relatively quickly. The biggest disadvantage I have run into is that I generally don't want to open the leg angle locks once I get it level. this means I have to walk around with the legs out, not possible in some environments.

The price for this model is wonderful. You only save about 1/2 a pound by going to the carbon G2227 model. At less than half the price, I would not consider buying the carbon model over this aluminum version.

Highly recommended!

Apr 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nater to your Buddy List
marksct

Registered: Nov 3, 2002
Review Date: Dec 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Strong, light with much flexability. For outdoor, macro and some product work this is a very sturdy, light weight and flexible tripod that give you lots of alternatives. Carries well in backpack as well. I have used a 4x5, 6x6, and 35mm on this with out any stability problems.
Cons:
Getting used to not haveing standard leg settings when opening the legs. But I got past that now.

You get what you pay for. This is a great photographic tool. It is not for everyone but for those who need the 90 degree neck, light weight, and very strong this is the one you want.

Has not let me down outdoors or indoors.

Like all equipment it took me a few times to get used to it. But, now it is second nature to use.

Dec 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marksct to your Buddy List
MichaelandSere

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Dec 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, light, well built
Cons:
It has been created with total versatility as to leg spread so there is no standard setting to 'click' into. This means you have to concentrate on where you lock the legs.

The 2227 replaced my Manfrotto 190MF4.

The 190MF4 was very compact, light and versatile in that the centre column could be inverted or removed or placed at 90 degrees to allow for any type of camera mounting.

Unfortunately it was not tall enough for me (6ft - 183cm) and with the extended centre column was far too flexible.

I didn't think I could afford the 2227 until I found a great price and 3 days delivery (with tracking) from payment, out of Hong Kong to Perth!

It is slightly heavier and a bit long for my LowePro backpack but I cope because it is fabulously tall, as versatile as the 190MF4 and solid as a rock.

I've just also purchased a Gitzo 1377M Ball head via the same channel. Now I'm really happy.

Dec 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaelandSere to your Buddy List
Buster

Registered: Sep 17, 2002
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $460.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sturdy, flexible. Lightweight enough. Water doesn't make it stiffer or rustier :) Locking is great.
Cons:
None really, a bit lighter?

I use this tripod quite often, not that I carry it always with me. But it has its place in the trunk of my car. During the year I was using it I obused it many times. It provided me with sturdy support in ocean (salt water), on the jagged rocks of mountains and in waters of small and big creeks. Almost any weather conditions possible. And I don't remember a single time when I couldn't rely on this tripod.
My previos two tripods somewhat quickly died (after a few months) - wobbly legs and a broken leg. This one is just great. I don't mind paying such a price ($460) for such reliable equipment.

Here are a few highlights:
- The locking system is great, just twist and it's done - with one hand. The only thing, if you don't twist it tight enough, you will have hard time adjusting the other sections of this leg.
- The center column could be adjusted almost in any possible way. But you better have a good tripod head, so it would not get in the way, mine sometimes is hard to adjust (thinking to by Acratech).
- The height is sufficient for landscapes and usual stuff. Actually it's higher than me (fully extended) and I don't see where I am pointing my camera (I am 6').
- Legs flexibility and sturdiness. The locking mechanism at the center column (where I control the angle/spread of the legs) is very tight so I can spread the legs almost flat and suspend the camera in the middle (more like in a spider web).
- Weight of the equipment. I use 1D Mark II and big lens, such as 70-200 f2.8 L IS and it doesn't make my life any harder - no shaking or other problems.
- Foot pads. Each leg has a rubber shoe or whatever you call it. There is no sharp metal point, but it works just fine. Maybe sometime on a slicky surfaces you have to find a crevice or something (or just lock the leg as it is - at the center), so it would hold it.

So far after a year of use, the tripod has just a few scrathces and works as new. I didn't have to tighten any bolts and nuts or joints. And I am quite happy with this product.

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Buster to your Buddy List
sjms

Registered: Mar 20, 2003
Posts: 19601
Review Date: Sep 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $520.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: it works out all the angles. especially with a good ballhead.
Cons:
the centerpost could be a few inches longer.

i really like this tripods design. it allows the user to move the camera into just about any position necessary to get the shot. i own the G2228 explorer since they are relatively the same i will rate them as equals. light, relatively compact, stiff, and maneuverable. its an excellent field tripod especiallly for macro work.

Sep 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sjms to your Buddy List

Gitzo G2227 Explorer