Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG

69 87495 Dec 4, 2010
8.3
46512canon_200EG_1_

A nicely apportioned backpack with Canon's recognizable black & olive color scheme, the 200 EG backpack comfortably holds a dedicated shooter's needed gear for a daytrip hike. Constructed of waterproofed polyester & nylon, it is finished with a crosswoven fabric to ensure years of practical use.
Key Features
Lash tabs with straps on the sides to hold clothing or various other lightweight items
Two gusseted side pockets with velcro closures
Zippered fullsize front pocket with external flap zippered pocket
Keyring retainer inside exterior's main pocket
Comfortable waist strap, sternum strap & wicked mesh backing
Tripod straps on the pack's bottom

umopdn

Registered: May 15, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $39.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Holds almost everything I need. Great value compared to other bags with same storage capabilities.
Cons:
Steal me logo on front (easily removed). tripod straps kinda useless. zipper might be a bit loose depending on the position they are at.

This bag is such an awesome value... my wife is even happy about it!! Smile

Seriously though, I'm sure most have read on the plusses of the bag, let me indicate some bad points:

1) beware of the zippers. they open easily.. too easily especially if you have them at the top of the bag. the weight and pressure pushing outward may have enough force to open the zipper. This almost happened to me. I keep them at the bottom now.

2) tripod straps are not useful, or if they are, it's a pita.

3) Canon logo on front says "steal me!". VERY easy to remove: inside front compartment-unzip it. feel for two separate horizontal tabs-- take some pliers and turn each 360 degrees, they should pop off, and the steal me logo can be removed. I also cut of the fabric canon logo on the bottom right hand corner (super easy) NB: front logo is impossible to reattach, and leaves two very small holes in the front. I think it's worth it though.

4) padding is a bit mediocre in most spots, but ESPECIALLY on the top portion where the camera sits. I highly recommend putting in a piece of foam (i got mine from a Fedex laptop ship box). it bends and fits perfectly in the top portion of the bag and protects it very nicely.

5) Lacks straps that can hold in your lenses while the bag is open.. you don't see this on too many bags, but it would be nice to have the extra security... This is no big deal as you can pick up a bit of velcro and add it.

After these complaints and fixes, why am I giving it such a good rating? Four words.... $39.99.

The bag is awesome for the price. It may not sustain a very rugged beating, but it sure does perfect for the amateur/enthusiast. Plenty of space, and does the job perfectly... Oh, and a bag even the wife can be happy with!!!!!!

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add umopdn to your Buddy List
mugen76

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Aug 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $44.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: price, size, durability
Cons:
slight zipper trapping

first of all, let me start off by saying that this wonderful bag is able to carry a TON of gear. i've noticed people posting that they packed 4-5 lenses in here. i packed all 7 of my lenses, a canon 20d with bg-e2 grip, all 7 lens hoods, a speedlite 580ex, extra batteries, brushes, straps, card readers etc..

this is a great bag for the price. i was considering a lowepro backpack but the retail was twice the price of this canon bag.

here's a couple of pictures of the arrangement:

canon 20d
canon 75-300IS
canon 28-135IS (attached to body)
canon 20-35
canon 20/2.8
canon 50/1.4
sigma 30/1.4
sigma 12-24
canon bg-e2grip (attached to body)
canon speedlite 580ex

Aug 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mugen76 to your Buddy List
bummster

Registered: May 13, 2005
Review Date: Jul 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: lightweight for a backpack, inexpensive, and fairly well thought out.
Cons:
due to its lightweight, the padding is lacking. tripod straps are ineffective. sternum strap was an after thought in the design. there are two canon logos, one is made of metal and difficult to remove. the main compartment zippers when fully opened, is a bit too difficult to work closed than it should be. IE, they sorta skimped on the zipper.

i like this bag a lot. if you take the time, it can be made a lot better for very little money.

what this bag lacks is a compression strap. if you aren't already using the side lashing strap anchors, get a 40" 1 inch wide piece of webbing with a quick release buckle. loop it around the bag through the anchors, and poof! you have yourself an effective compression strap. it also only lets you unzip the top 1/3rd of the bag when buckled, so quick grabs of the camera are much easier. no need to lay down your pack in fear of something falling out.

a pack of tri-glide buckles can be used to clean up the slack on the new compression strap, as well as the LONG shoulder straps.

the waist straps and sternum strap can be packed into the rear storage area on the back of the bag, and the tripod straps removed for a nice clean looking bag.

i cut off the zipper pulls on the main compartment, and replaced them with 1" key rings. a small double caribiner is used to hook the two zippers together to the top handle loop. rattles a lil bit, but a fair trade off if it adds another thing for would be thieves to get through while the bag is on my back.

all of that should cost less than 10 dollars. the caribiner probably absorbs more than 50% of that too.

a velbon ultra luxi SF fits great in the compression cord pocket, so no need to use those pesky tripod straps either.

Jul 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bummster to your Buddy List
Kham

Registered: Apr 20, 2005
Review Date: Jul 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $49.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: good padding, nice price, a lot of space
Cons:
zippers are hard to close sometimes, canon logo (steal me logo), tripod straps (would have been better with clips but you can mod it easily)

Jul 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kham to your Buddy List
packpe89

Registered: Mar 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, price and fit. Holds all my equipment. I still use a smaller bag for a short trip when I only need one or two lenses, but nice to be able to carry everything. For the price, hard to beat.
Cons:
The zipper unzips too easy. The first weekend I used it, my 10d with BG-3 and Tamron 28-75, fell out. I had pulled each zipper to a 12:00 position. When i turned the bag so the weight was shifted toward the top of the bag, the camera fell out, pushing open the zipper. Fortunately, nothing broke. I now pull one zipper all trhe way around and have not had anymore problems.

Jul 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add packpe89 to your Buddy List
TFischer

Registered: Oct 8, 2004
Review Date: Jul 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $49.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great inside layout and padding. Low price.
Cons:
Zipper may get tricky unzipped all the way down.

This is excellent bag for short trip. It will hold all the equipment I need with room to spare. I was looking for small bag that I could store 20D body with lens attached for quick removal. You don't have to unzip it all the way to grab the camera and start shooting. Can't remember countless times that I missed great shot due to the time it took to remove my camera from other bag then attach lens, put hood on, remove cap...you get the idea Smile
I would recommend this backpack to anyone who doesn't want to spend 100 + dollars.

Jul 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TFischer to your Buddy List
mehal2

Registered: Jan 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $39.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, side straps are great for holding water containers, customizable interior
Cons:
Zipper is sharp, I kept getting scratched. Also, good have been a little larger

For a person with 1 dSLR, 2-3 lenses and some accessories, this is a pretty good bag. The interior can be customized to fit anything that you want, there's plenty of space to put water or other supplies necessary for hikes and a mesh front area for a rain jacket. The bag is a little small though (I'm 5'10) and the tripod straps on the bottom don't work as well as they could. Still, this is a good bag.

Jun 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mehal2 to your Buddy List
burychka

Registered: Jan 13, 2004
Review Date: Jun 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, lightweight, lots of pockets, outstanding value
Cons:
I wish there were a slightly larger version

I've had this bag since October 2003. My only complaint is that when I needed a larger bag, there was no comparable value to be found. This bag is such a great value, I am surprised to see the Canon name on it.

Canon used fairly modest padding in this bag, and that's OK, because I don't throw my equipment around. The problem came when I need a larger bag. Most larger bags were much larger on the outside but only a bit larger on the inside. I found that with most larger packs, I would have 50% more bulk (and three to four times the cost!!!) for 20% more space, due primarily to the massive padding in most other backpacks.

For those concerned about the Canon logo on the back, I found that the mesh pouch on the outside will just hold a folded 36" reflecter in its pouch, and the pouch comes up just high enough to hide the logo.

For the Canon Digital Rebel XT to be a comparable value, it would sell for $399!

Jun 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add burychka to your Buddy List
amcomis

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $39.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good though a little small size, nice look, good padding, no awkward look
Cons:
Zippers are not the highest quality/awkward, a tad small, smaller pockets awkward

This bag is great. Looked at the other bags and backpacks and all were small/awkward looking. This one is a tad small (i am used to larger book bags I guess) but the compartments are a nice size/with nice padding. front/side pockets are a little useless - kind of hidden.

Jun 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add amcomis to your Buddy List
bryantighe

Registered: Nov 23, 2004
Review Date: Jun 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low cost, holds equipment firmly, lightweight
Cons:
Clumsy tripod straps, big "steal me" logo on back

For the price, you can't go wrong with this bag. I just returned from a 3 week trip though Eurpoe with my equipment in this bag, and it worked great for me. It easily held my 300D w/ attached 28-135mm along with my 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, and my girlfriends pentax telephoto as well. And there was more room for another had I owned something else.

The internal dividers are all padded and can be easily moved around to fit your needs. The other zippered pockets are also useful and a good size. You could fit a small laptop in one of the pouches. I fit several magazines in it with room to spare.

The back elastic strapped pocket is good for holding a waterbottle, light jacket, etc.

The small side pockets are good for small things, although the velcro seals seem a little weak and insecure.

The straps on the side and bottom are not good for a whole lot. It takes some maneuvering to get a tripod in there. It can be done, just not quickly and conveniently.

When you place the bag down, you can easily pull out the camera from the top without having to open the entire bag. When in the bag, the camera stays snug and secure.

Are other bags that cost more than $100 or even $200 really THAT much better? I can't imagine how.

And put some tape over the logo if you're going anywhere that you might feel uneasy about theft.

Jun 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bryantighe to your Buddy List
Jerry White

Registered: Dec 6, 2002
Review Date: Jun 6, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $9.00

Pros: Best bang for the buck.
Cons:
At this price, none.

Ok, I received the bag and moved my equipment from the Tamrac to this one. First time I've used a backpack style bag and I do like the layout.

As you can see, the bag holds a good bit of equipment but it is tight. Here is a quick photo showing what is in my bag.

Jun 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jerry White to your Buddy List
Jerry White

Registered: Dec 6, 2002
Review Date: May 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $9.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: No review yet, but soon. I liked what I read so far so I checked and found this bag on Amazon for $39. They gave me a coupon for $30 if I applied for a credit card so I got the bag for $9. Shipping ($7) cost almost as much as the bag
Cons:

May 27, 2005
wwjdbk

Registered: Jan 22, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great Price, Fits all my equipment well. 20d and sigma80-400 with hood fits nicely. Great starter bag for me. Might upgrade to something better later... Cant beat the price
Cons:
Straps can be a pain (when fully loaded) Not well suited for carying a tripod. Zippers can sometimes get stuck but come free easily with a few pulls...

Great bag for the price

May 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wwjdbk to your Buddy List
soulmirror

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cost. Plenty of compartments. Easy to carry.
Cons:
Would have liked more padding on some sides (esp. top).

My review is coming from a newb perspective! Smile My 300D is my first DSLR and this is my first serious camera bag in a long time. I am very happy with this for the cost. There is a fair amount of room, and I can probably even coerce my 12" iBook inside, in a Tucano SecondSkin. I think that's probably a significant concern, since were I travelling with this, it would be inconvenient to also carry the laptop backpack from Samsonite that I normally use with my iBook. Still the secondary compartment in the front is slightly on the small side to me.

The one (I think remediable) big flaw in the design of this is the default way that a body with lens attached is supposed to go in. I don't like this, especially if the bag is relatively empty (i.e. you sadly do not own enough glass to fill the compartments! Sad). The default arrangement has the body with the lens pointing down at the very top of the bag. Since the bag doesn't have any webbed sides or anything to prevent the main flap from falling totally open, and there is little padding on the top side of the bag, I am just not comfortable with this. (Although, to be fair, there is an elastic band that holds the body in at the lens junction, so that you should probably be able to hold the bag vertically without the body fallying out.) Fortunately, I found that I could pull out the entire insert and put it in upside down, so that the camera sits with lens up on the bottom of the bag. I'm not sure if there's an obvious reason why this is a bad idea; I like it much better.

All in all, for $40, this is great. Smile

May 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add soulmirror to your Buddy List
Allen Maestas

Registered: Feb 17, 2005
Review Date: May 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, plenty room for my 300D with battery grip and 100-400 attached, plus 14-70, 50mm and 420 Flash in separate pockets. Comfortable to ware and overall a great pack.
Cons:
Main zipper takes some time to break in before it zips easily.

May 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Allen Maestas to your Buddy List
skmdc

Registered: Jan 15, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $43.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Holds ALL my gear! Great price. Fairly comfortable. Great camera stabalizer in a pinch!
Cons:
Main zipper can be "tricky".

This bag is a godsend. I looked at the more pricey bags at a camera shop and was just about committed to ordering one online when I stumbled on this one. It was so cheap I just knew it couldn't compare. I wouldn't have ordered it but I found a picture of one open and holding gear and darned if it didn't look as good as the pricey models.

I took a chance and ordered it and haven't regretted it since!

I've read reviews that this bag is "cramped" for a 20D. Can't relate. I have a 20D and it's fitted with a tripod plate that expands it's size at the base somewhat. My camera fits perfectly in this bag and is held snuggly but not too tight with the tripod plate on. This bag holds all the lenses I have. It also holds all filters in orginal packaging, my giotto rocket and cleaning fluid, lens paper, blah blah blah. I throw everything in this bag and go.

As for comfort I can't compare this to other brands because I've never been on lengthly hikes with them, but with this bag I have and it performed quite well.

The build seems very sturdy so far and I love being able to organize all my gear. The one draw back--very teeny--is that the zipper can be a pain. It's a little hard to get started. Other than that this bag is fantastic.

One side beneifit I didn't consider is this bag is a great little camera stablazer. My camer cradles quite nicely on the top and allows me to stop down quite a bit when taking macros. I find myself constantly using it for macros and some wide angles. Much less tedious than a tripod!

Karma

May 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add skmdc to your Buddy List

Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG