Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG

69 86283 Dec 4, 2010
8.3
46512canon_200EG_1_

A nicely apportioned backpack with Canon's recognizable black & olive color scheme, the 200 EG backpack comfortably holds a dedicated shooter's needed gear for a daytrip hike. Constructed of waterproofed polyester & nylon, it is finished with a crosswoven fabric to ensure years of practical use.
Key Features
• Lash tabs with straps on the sides to hold clothing or various other lightweight items
• Two gusseted side pockets with velcro closures
• Zippered fullsize front pocket with external flap zippered pocket
• Keyring retainer inside exterior's main pocket
• Comfortable waist strap, sternum strap & wicked mesh backing
• Tripod straps on the pack's bottom

six100

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Aug 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Big...carries a lot of equipment. Not as expensive as Lowepro/Tamrac. Very decent built quality.
Cons:
Not as well built as Lowepro/Tamrac. You can read the work "Canon" looking at it from about every angle. A notebook won't fit when fully loaded.

Bought mine from B&H, not quite the best price but I needed it to be sent fast & reliably to my country.
Before this one I had a Tamrac Adventure 6 backpack which I actually never get to use because it was too small to carry "all the-stuff" so, since I needed something bigger but I was on a budget I went for the 200.

The size is very good: not that big from the outside, huge on the inside. I carry all this stuff on it:

Canon EOS 30D body + grip.
Sigma 50-500 w/hood
30D Battery + Charger
4AA Batteries
A4 Notepad
Lens cleaning pads from Canon & Marumi
62" Tripod (placed @ one side of the backpack)

...and still have space for a couple more "primes" and other small stuff.

IMHO you get more than what you pay...the only true complain I have with it is that is says "Canon" everywhere...that word is a well-known thieve-magnet. It won't fit any notebook either BTW.

For me it's a deal. ; )

Aug 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add six100 to your Buddy List
Brian Austin

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, good airline carry-on, decent quality
Cons:
Lacking support for heavier objects, not a true outdoor backpack

This is not a bagged for someone looking for a true hiker's backpack capable of rugged terrain camera toting. The support structure inside and the outside strapping put this in a "daypack" category.

After getting a 70-200/f2.8L IS for my 20D, I decided that I needed to step up from this bag. It's great for light camera loads in urban environments or in the car/plane. It can't take the abuse of scaling rocks in Sedona with a full load plus tripod, however. Getting to the top and suddenly wishing you had brought a DIFFERENT lens is not a good thing, trust me. ;-)

Great first bag buy. Decent "back up" bag. Not particularly weatherproof in comparison to Lowepro's AW bags but it worked fine in a Seattle rainstorm for 30 minutes.

Jun 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brian Austin to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, sturdy, functional.
Cons:
I don't like the bottom straps for the tripod, it would be nicer if they were quick disconnect types...otherwise, no gripes.

Hey, it's a camera pack, not a mobile photo-lab.

I take it with me everywhere, holds two slr bodies and a few lenses plus other stuff. Holds everything I need for day trips.

I snipped the Canon logo off so it wouldn't attract attention. Nothing worse than advertising to the world you're full of camera gear. A theft waiting to happen. I keep a pair of underwear in the back pocket so it looks like a pack full of dirty laundry to the casual observer. Might replace it with a book of poetry though, I'm running low on shorts.

Jun 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
ga1lyons

Registered: Mar 14, 2006
Review Date: Apr 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $32.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, size, versitile
Cons:
needs more strucural support. Not "soldier proof".

Considering the compact size, it holds alot.
20D w/ BGE2 grip attached
Sigma 15-30EX
Sigma 24-70EX
Canon 100-400 IS
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Canon 28mm f/2.8
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 580ex Flash
My monopod is on the outside as well as my mini tripod

It holds 1/2 the world but it lacks durability and gets 60% of its structural integrity form its contents. THe inner partitions are good as seprators but is about it.

Get it for a quick pack bag, is great to get through crowds with but if you need to lens swap you have to take it off, lay it down flat on surface, do your swap, seal it back up and sling it back on. But you get what you pay for so you cant complain.

Apr 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ga1lyons to your Buddy List
stevenunez

Registered: Jan 6, 2005
Review Date: Mar 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good construction- excellent value.
Cons:
Doesn't fit taller "Pro" bodies in top area.

As everyone stated- this bag is a superb value.
My only personal gripe is that it wont zipper with a 1D series body in the top area as the 1D series is too tall. Anything smaller than a 1D series will fit nicely.

I don't plan on leaving the bag anywhere a theif might swipe it- so for me I'll gladly display the Canon logo.

A superb bag.

Note: It will fit a 1D series camera in the bag but not in the "area" reserved for the body.

Mar 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stevenunez to your Buddy List
rmsned

Registered: Mar 18, 2006
Review Date: Mar 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cost, good value, a handy day pack
Cons:
zippers can easily undo themselves, the steal me logo.

Saw this on sale at the Local shop for $40 so I grabbed one. Currently fits my 20D, 200mm f2.8, 85 f1.8, 24-70, a set of kenko tubes, a couple of batteries, CF cards, charger, and several other small things. Tripod mount was not so great, as mentioned, as well as the zippers--if they were at the top, they can work open and you could experience the worst. I tend to zip them down to one side to help ensure they don't do bad things. The black interior makes it not so easy to find small things in low light. Other than, comfy for short trips, though I wouldn't take it for serious hiking.

I have noticed that the bag does catch people's eye if they see the logo, so I did the black marker trick, which sort of helps.

Mar 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rmsned to your Buddy List
DagYo

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Mar 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, Looks Nice, Functional. the movable velcro lets you set up your bag to adjust for whatever gear you have.
Cons:
Lot of Straps, A bit shallow, the d2x stuck out about an inch over the sides.

The first thing I did was cut off all the straps my pocket knife, they were a bit overkill for me. before i cut it off however, i couldn't really get the tripod holder to work.

I noticed that if both zippers are at the top and not touching you run the risk of the bag working its way open as you walk.
I took one zipper and sewed the little handle to the side of the bag so I have to consciously zip the bag up all the way to the bottom. I’m in the process of getting a big Velcro strap made to Velcro over all the compartments as an added security feature in case on isn't zipped for whatever reason, I’ll have pics up shortly.

Another thing I don't like is the canon logo, minus the logo it looks like an ordinary backpack, but with the logo it’s a billboard for thieves. My make shift Velcro strap should cover the logo nicely.

Mar 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DagYo to your Buddy List
NJP3

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, functional, and stylin'
Cons:
Tripod holder not actually useful, top heavy

Not the highest quality in the world but for 40 bucks it was more than I could ask for...get it!

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add NJP3 to your Buddy List
cheekymunky

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: Feb 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, fits a lot of stuff in....
Cons:
Well...you get what you pay for!

Fits loads of stuff in, and reasonably safely. Straps are not very comfortable - especially on long walks. For the price i cant complain, but the zip broke within a few days of using it. Also the loops to hold a tripod I find really Inconvenient verging on the usless. Also a Shame you cant fit a 15.4" laptop in it - just a tad too small. But if you are on a budget its well worth putting up with these small issues, its not all bad.

Feb 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cheekymunky to your Buddy List
fishfry

Registered: Dec 29, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, smaller size, comfortable to wear
Cons:
CHEAP BUILD QUALITY!! ripped first time I used it; too many straps; front heavy

The first time I unzipped it the fabric near the zipper ripped!!! This was right out of the bag. Front heavy, the bag always wants to fall forward.

Perfect size for my 20D, flash, telephoto and 2 small lenses. Cheap, 30 dollars is a good price (I wouldn't pay more). Decent padding and comfortable to wear. This bag gets the job done for me, but for the professional pushing equipment to the max this won't cut it.

Jan 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fishfry to your Buddy List
RichCasale

Registered: Oct 18, 2004
Review Date: Jan 23, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: For me, the bag is the perfect size (except for the waist strap) for all the gear that I have and am likely to have. plenty of pockets, and good straps. I like all the side pockets and the mutliple attachment points. Very well designed
Cons:
The padding and the grade of Nylon that was used to create the bag are repreatative of the price--low-cost. The padding is substandard compared with just about all other bags I've owned or used. The nylon seems strong but I'd be affraid that the weather proofing they put on would come over easily and the bag would just take on huge amounts of water--you can tell this by the material's level of fexibility. Also, the cross-chest harness is held in place by two loops, they don't actually stay in place when you take the pack on or off--something you'll do often. Also, the waist harness (like most bags of this site) comes accross my stomac, not my waiste. Finally the the main compartment zipper has a covering flap that points back towards my bag instead of the other direction (like all other bags). This means that when the sholder straps are loosened up a bit the bag leans back allowing rain to accumulate on the zipper which easily makes it's way into the bag. not the best idea. The bag is nice, I just wished they went a few extra steps (i would have paid for that). As a result I'm returning my bag and going for the LowePro Minni Trekker AW.

the pos/cons pretty much say it all.

Jan 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RichCasale to your Buddy List
jonny427

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Big roomy interior swallows up most lenses under 200mm. Adjustable compartaments that actualy stay in place when adjusted
Cons:
Zipper can open too easily. Shoulder straps not too ergonomic.

This has to be the best bag under 100 bucks. And who would of thought that Canon would be the brand to do it (when I think Canon, I see lots of benjamins lol)? It is big, roomy, and has tons of comparaments for your lenses. A big plus is that not only is it adjustable, but the dividers actually stay in place under the weight of my lenses.

The only downsides are that it has a big fat "CANON" logo front and center (which I quickly removed using pliers, see below reviews for DIY tips) and that its shoulder straps aren't too ergonomic. However, for 40 bucks I'm not expecting to get the quality of a $150 Lowepro backpack.

All in all, this is a must-have for any amateur or semi-pro looking for a cheap, well-built, and roomy pack to hold all their stuff. Highly recommended.

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jonny427 to your Buddy List
shaggybill

Registered: Sep 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price cant be beat, plenty of room
Cons:
If you take some straps off temporarily, it can be very confusing to get them back on right.

Soon after I purchased my DSLR I decided I needed a backpack instead of a regular SLR pouch. Since I do alot of hiking I needed something to carry my 300D, along with two other lenses, a P&S digital camera, a camcorder, cokin filter system, external flash unit, and a tripod, plus all the accessories that one needs to carry while hiking such as extra batteries, a knife, compass, camera manuals, extra mini-DV tapes, extra memory, first-aid kit, trail maps, water bottle, etc.

This little backpack has room for all that and more. Beside the main compartment, it has two large pockets on the front, two small pockets on the sides, and two zippered compartments inside the main compartment. There are also straps on both sides for a tripod or whatever you want to put there. A drawback here is that there is just one strap near the top, not one on the bottom AND top. So the bottom of your tripod just kind of dangles there instead of being secured with two straps.

All in all, I'd say for the price, it cant be beat. Not even close.

Oct 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shaggybill to your Buddy List
floridapix

Registered: Sep 20, 2005
Review Date: Sep 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $37.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Extremely inexpensive, ample room, nice color scheme.
Cons:
Tight squeeze with 2 dSLRs w/grips and 4 lenses... but manageable.

Inside measurements are: 10"w by 14.75"h by 5"d.

I was able to fit the following in the bag:

- Canon Digital Rebel w/grip
- Canon 20D w/grip w/70-200 f/2.8L attached, hood reversed.
- EF 17-40 f/4L
- EF 85mm f/1.8
- EF 50mm f/1.8 II
- Speedlight 420EX in Case

I still had one adjustable compartment left where I put the EF 17-40 sunflower hood and 85mm hood next to each other.

There are two zipper compartments on the inside of the bag. In the lower (skinnier) one, I put the remote shutter release, BG-E2 battery tray, wall charger, and 2 CF cases.

In the upper compartment, I fit (3) Cokin filters in cases with the mounting bracket and (3) adapter rings.

There are also two velcro pockets on the sides of the bags. I put some of my cleaning stuff in one and the other is still empty.

The fit is a little tight with all of this equipment (i.e., the zipper needs a little manuevering to fit around the second camera body). But, again, for $37.00/shipped, it's well worth the money and I will certainly manage. Spending $120 for a Lowepro back was not an option for me.

If you need a backpack camera bag, visit a local camera shop, inspect it, and then order it online. Just read the other reviews to learn how to remove the Canon logo!

Sep 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add floridapix to your Buddy List
Coda-007

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very cheap, holds a lot of kit for its (apparent) size. Nice colours. Canon Logo!
Cons:
Not deep enough to take a 10D with a Battery Grip. Shoulder straps feel cheap, not very comfortable. No moulded ends on straps to stop them from coming all of the way out of the buckle. Canon Logo!

Ok, enough positives, heres some contructive negatives... :-)

This bag is not deep enough to take a 10D with a Battery Grip.
The shoulder straps feel cheap, not very comfortable for long "wearings".
The bottom sections of the shoulder straps should have plastic molded ends to stop them from coming all of the way out of the buckle. This happened to me a couple of times, and I nearly lost one of the parts of the chest strap. Saying that though, I could probably fix this myself, or maybe put a couple of stitches through the chest strap loops.

All in all a great bag, what a bargain!

Sep 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Coda-007 to your Buddy List
JCW2005

Registered: Jul 31, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $49.95 | Rating: 5

Pros: They corrected some of the complaints from earlier reviews such as the logo and zipper. Good pocket placement.
Cons:
The shoulder straps are uncomfortable, poorly positioned and made a bit bulky, especially for someone with a slim build.

Sep 12, 2005