Nikon SB-80DX AF Speedlight

4 21021 May 21, 2010
sb80

New Innovative Design -- Focus-area, selector-style input controller lets you control most functions of SB-80DX

New Incremental Auto-Zoom Head -- Automatic power zoom changes the zoom-head position incrementally to match the lens? focal length from 24mm to 105mm

Powerful -- Guide Number of 125 (ISO 100/feet) at 35mm position

New 14mm Wide Flash adapter -- Wide flash adapter for use with lenses as wide as 114? angle of view

New Diffusion Dome accessory -- Included Softlight Dome diffuses the light from the flash to soften shadows

New Built-in Wireless Flash -- Wireless TTL to 23 feet, Auto or Manual to 131 feet.

New Custom Settings -- 8 Built-in Custom Settings lets you customize SB-80DX to your way of shooting

New Standby function -- Adjust settings from 40 seconds to 300 seconds, providing power-saving control during multiple-flash photography

New Safety Lock System -- Locking hot-shoe system assures positive contact between SB-80DX and SLR in use

3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash -- With D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N90s and N80 35mm AF SLR cameras. Matrix Balanced Fill-Flash with N65

New Expanded Flash Compensation -- Additional flash compensation control from 3EV to -3EV in 1/3 EV steps

New Built-in Modeling Flash -- Provides a visual confirmation that lets you preview shadows before photo is taken.

GeorgeM

Registered: Oct 4, 2002
Review Date: May 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, small, works just fine
Cons:

I received my unit as a 'gift'. I'd bought a D300 from a gentleman on ebay. Mix up of battery chargers with another camera he'd sold. Once it was straightened out he sent me the 80DX to say thank you for your patience/understanding. Like I said, a gentleman.

I've not used it alone but in conjunction with a SB800. D300 in commander mode and the 800 as the main with the 80 as fill. 100% product shots and has never failed. Batteries last longer but it's only used at 1/2 or less power. Output is clean and consistent.

It works well on and off camera. On camera has just been for test shots to see if it works.

I'd aquire more of them. No problems whatsoever.

May 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GeorgeM to your Buddy List
cpichado

Registered: Oct 20, 2008
Review Date: Oct 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, small (very portable), metal hot-shoe, decent battery life with NiMH 2500 (rechargeables) AA's, has a white bounce card and wide-angle screen built in, good zoom in/out, and control of light output from 1/128th to 1/1.
Cons:
Battery door is known to fall off/break. Of the 4 I own, I have not had this problem.

I purchased my first SB-80DX from a large equipment sale, knowing that it has an 'optical trigger' (meaning another flash can fire this one). I love that it can power down to 1/128th, to allow total light control. It can rotate, tilt, and fire either zoomed in or with the wide-angle plate pulled down.

It feels solid and i would not worry if it were to fall onto dirt or grass (hopefully I can keep it off the concrete!).

I have since purchased 3 more, for a total of 4, and fire them either with my Canon 430EX Speedlight (optically), or via a Cactus trigger on one, activating the rest via optical triggers as well.

I would definitely suggest this as a perfect Strobist flash!

Oct 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cpichado to your Buddy List
Emcam

Registered: Apr 21, 2004
Review Date: Dec 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: nice lightweight, about the same power as the Nikon units that camee before:sb24,sb25,sb28. Works great with My D100
Cons:
very inconsistant with film cameras like the F5 and the same with the D2h

I origanally purchased this flash for my D100 and used it for about 2 years shooting weddings with excellent success.
Later when I got a D2h I figured I could just keep on using it. I did use it, but found its exposures were inconsistant. The same subject with the same distance sometimes had more or sometimes less exposure. Its as if there flash technology wasn't compatable with the newer camera.
So I use it when I bring out my D100 and it is great.

Dec 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Emcam to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, powerfull, good combo with my D1X
Cons:
not powerful enough for large rooms but still does the job

I got this to use for weddings as a fill flash and it does the job. A great combo for my D1X when I can use strobes. I highly resommend this to anyone looking for a flash. If you can find one get it.

Mar 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List

Nikon SB-80DX AF Speedlight