Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight

20 60887 Nov 2, 2011
sb600

Guide number (at 35mm zoom-head position, 20 C/68 F): 30/98 (ISO 100, m/ft), 42/138 (ISO 200, m/ft)

Flash exposure control : i-TTL, D-TTL, TTL (film based), Balanced Fill-Flash, Manual

Flash shooting distance range (in TTL auto flash mode): 0.6m ti 20m (2 to 65.6 ft.) (varies depending on the ISO sensitivity, zoom-head position and lens aperture in use)

Power SW: OFF/STBY ON

Recycling time: Alkaline approx. 3.5 sec.

Number of flashes: Alkaline approx. 200 times

Creative lighting system: a variety of flash operations are available with camera's compatible with CLS: i-TTL mode, Advanced Wireless Lighting, FV Lock flash, Flash color information communication, Auto FL High-Speed sync, and Wide area AF-Assist Illuminator

Display: LCD: segment type

LCD back light: LED type

Shoe-lock: One action lock

Battery: 4 x AA-type: Alkaline, Lithium, Nickel, NiCd, Ni-MH (All four batteries must be the same type)

Zoom: Auto 24x85mm, Manual

Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 68 x 123.5 x 90mm (2.7 x 4.9 x 3.5 in)

Weight (w/o batter): Approx. 300g (9.6 oz)

Included Accessories: Speedlight stand (AS-19), Soft case (SS-600)

Optional Accessories: TTL flash cable (SC-29), TTL flash cable (SC-28), Color Filter Set (SJ-1)

Page:  1 · 2  next

Yucel

Registered: Nov 2, 2011
Review Date: Nov 2, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Great for most average users at fabulous price and avails use of the Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System)
Cons:
Really difficult to program and navigate menus. Will not work in commander mode.

For 90% of shooters, may be the speedlight to own.

For those who need a working light for a professional jobs or will be doing lots of multi light set ups, consider using SB-800's instead.

For more detailed review, see also: http://glamourphotography.co/?p=4609

The menu system is arcane. Almost impossible to navigate without the manual handy.

Nov 2, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Yucel to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, size, cheap slave flash to use with CLS.
Cons:
The user interface could be a bit better, lack of stroboscope flash.

A good reliable flash if you don't want/need a SB800 or SB900.

Makes a good cheap slave flash to use with Nikon's creative lighting system (CLS) and isn't to big to add to your camera bag if you want to travel light and need a proper flash.

Oct 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
Skyehigh

Registered: Jan 10, 2009
Review Date: May 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size , light and price
Cons:

When I seen the size of the 900 I decided on this , was a great choice , terrific flash unit

May 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Skyehigh to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $185.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value for the money. Very practical. Good built quality
Cons:
Diffuser is not included (unlike the SB-800), User interface is out of date.

Works very well as on-board or as wireless slave flash. Nikon's CLS provides more functions than Canon. E.g. this flash can be set as main light source, or as fill light. It swiel, tilt, and can do wireless. It provides 90% what you are looking for.

The user interface is not so advanced. There is no "Menu" button, one has to push 2 bottons at the same time to activate menu options; turn on the wireless slave requires going through the menu (not as easy as the Canon's 420EX). It seems Nikon's camera UI philosophy (prefer dedicated button rather than menu options) is not followed in the flash design.

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
turtle14

Registered: Jul 12, 2008
Review Date: Sep 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: powerful, versatile, rotating head, simple and intuitive menu system, works great with cheap ebay remote triggers
Cons:
A bit large to carry around attached to the camera ll day.

Excellent flash for the price! Extremely versatile and easy to use. Control system is easy to use.

Only downside is that it is rather large if you are going to be carrying your camera around. For that, I would recommend an SB400.

Sep 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add turtle14 to your Buddy List
Photobox

Registered: Jul 4, 2008
Review Date: Jul 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $189.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cost, versatile, light weight, compatible with Nikon CLS.
Cons:
No controller for other flashes (for this price who cares?), not the range of the SB-800, but it's a little over half the price. Overall - awesome.

This is a wonderful flash unit. It's certainly powerful enough for many applications and is compatible with the Nikon CLS. It can be fired via an on-camera remote commander mode, the SU-800 commander unit or an SB-800 from the camera. I use the SB-800 (and soon the SB-900!) as my main strobe with a pair of SB-600s as axillary/backup units. These things are super! Pair them with some Honl accessories and they become a portable studio! Bang-for-buck it's the best flash in the Nikon lineup. With the release of the new SB-900 due out the beginning of August, you might see the prices on these things drop used on eBay, but at $189 new through B&H, their still one of the best deals out there.

Jul 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Photobox to your Buddy List
richiebaz

Registered: Feb 25, 2008
Review Date: May 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to use... it just works seamlessly with your i-ttl Nikon camera
Cons:
None noticed

Excellent flash! I was nervous about using an external flash since I am new in using those. The SB-600 resolved all my fears by literally working straight out of the box in a seamless manner with my D40. Perfect communication between the camera and the flash! I'd buy this flash over the SB-400 since you get so much more flexibility with the 600. The SB-800 would be nice but it is frankly, overkill at my current skill-set.

May 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richiebaz to your Buddy List
Chris_Platt

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: May 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Small, Creative Lighting System, Price, compatible with high speed synch
Cons:
No manually variable power setting Cannot be use as a commander

I love my SB-600. I also have a couple Sigma 50 DG Super flashes. (Which I've found to be at least as tough as the 600). The one time I dropped my 600 on a flat surface it went back to Nikon for repair. I've dropped my Sigmas a couple of times as well. In both cases, I simply collected the batteries, which had burst from their chamber, slid them back in, and the flashes continued to perform flawlessly.

One important feature (used rarely) missing on the 600 that is present on both the 800 as well as the Sigma 500 is manually variable flash power. If you want really high speed flash to stop action on very fast things (like hummingbird wings) you need to be able to set the variable power. For everything else, I love my light, little 600.

May 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris_Platt to your Buddy List
DHJ.V

Registered: Jan 4, 2007
Review Date: Jan 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality, iTTL and most important: remote mode wireless flash. Nice Quality/Price ratio.
Cons:
Guide number 30 (@ iso100) not as strong as SB-800; lacks stroboscope flash that SB-800 has

This IS a great flash unit. I was doubting to go for the SB-800 or the SB-600; the price determined the decision to go for the SB-600.
The only extra's you get with the SB-800 are:
- higher guide number (38 @ iso 100)
- standard diffusion dome and color filter (also sold separately)
- possibility to do stroboscope flash or multiple flash (creative effects)
- SB-800 can be a wireless commander.
But you pay almost double the amount of money for the SB-800 (EUR 380). Don't go for another brand flash, because you'll miss all the fun of wireless flashing.

Since I own a Nikon D70s, the camera itself can serve as a commander for wireless flashing with the SB-600. And this is just great! I use wireless flashing all the time in my stills, so the light source can come from the side and above, rather than from the front and above. Since Canon lacks this wireless system it also played a role to go for Nikon in the choice for a photography brand.

I have used the SB-600 for almost a year now; battery use is OK; it takes 4 AA size batteries and you can get a fair amount of flashes out of them (200 +, depending on the strength of the flash).
Setting up the flash mode is easy and mostly done on the D70s. If the flash is in wireless mode it will work at least within a range of 10+ meters.

You can view one of my photos which illustrates the possibilities of wireless flashing <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhjv/273350791/>here</a>

Jan 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DHJ.V to your Buddy List
Niloyd

Registered: Nov 14, 2006
Location: India
Review Date: Nov 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: iTTL, works wireless with my D200, Superb build quality!
Cons:

I wanted a flash that worked TTL with my late Nikon D50 and I had a budget, the SB-800 was out of my league, I mean I knew it had the edge over the 600, but I was not ready to spend Rs.17000 (INR) just for a Flash unit, since I'm a hobbist. So I Narrowed it down to the SB-600 and a Sigma Equivalent, then I came here and checked out the reviews and found out that the sigma was not too well built and thats when I made the instant decision to go for the SB-600, so here I am writing this review, I must say its very well built and I can think of doing a lot more using it wirelessly with my new D200 it gives great control on how and where you want your source of light coming from. Also the functions it has in built are very usable and NOT just fancy add-ons, I would HIGHLY recommend any one who wants a good flash but does not want to spend too much buying the 800 variant.
It is simply a sleek piece of equipment and it looks killer when mounted on my D200, I feel proud to own one! Smile

Nov 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Niloyd to your Buddy List
Todd Warnke

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: Nov 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb balance of size, power, features.
Cons:
Not the SB800 - but at least $100

The only real world drawback of the SB-600 is that it is not a Commander like the SB-800. And that is only a problem if you use the D50 and need remote flash capability - and if you do, then why are you using the D50 anyway? In short - no drawbacks at all, at least for the intended audience.

Nov 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Todd Warnke to your Buddy List
royco

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Review Date: Jul 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Smallish, easy to use. good price. Mount, turn on and shoot away.
Cons:
Nothing so far

Very good flash for the price, I use it during family gatherings and parties and have yet to see the need for the more expensive brother the SB-800. Wireless mode with the D70s works great.

I get very consistent results with my 18-70mm kit lens and the 50mm 1.8. Highly recomended for I'd say 90% of your flash shots, the other 10% is where you might need the power and features of the SB-800.

Jul 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add royco to your Buddy List
pap pap

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The flash is excellent. I have been using it now for 4 months with no complaints. It will even do multi-burst on my Nikon D70S with no problem.
Cons:
At this point I am not sure there are negatives.

I have been using this flash for approx. 4-months and find myself impressed everytime I use it. I use it as a bounce flash alot or with the defusser which works really well. The manual that came with the flash is almost as thick and comprehensive as the one with the camera. I would recommend this flash to anyone.

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pap pap to your Buddy List
Rrexy

Registered: Mar 31, 2005
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: My friend has the Nikon SB600 and it is an excellent flash. There was a question about the diffuser... it has a built in diffuser that slides out and covers ther flash.
Cons:

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rrexy to your Buddy List
signo

Registered: Feb 1, 2005
Review Date: Jan 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A great flash for the price, I have both of them( sb-600 and sb-800) and itīs very easy to use.
Cons:
Less money, less power.

Jan 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add signo to your Buddy List
Kiron Kid

Registered: Nov 19, 2004
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A great little flash.
Cons:
Would have liked to se the built in flash-bounce panel, like the SB-800 has.

A very nice flash. It only has 2/3 a stop less power than the higher priced SB-800. The user controls are very easy to understand and navigate through. Love the metal mounting shoe. It recycles immeditaely with lithium batt's. Very well designed and built. Nikon, is far ahead of everyone else, in flash technology I'll probably get a second one. I highly recommend it.

Kiron Kid

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kiron Kid to your Buddy List

Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight