Epson Stylus Photo 1280 Post a Review

-Ideal for 12" x 12" scrapbook layouts
-Water-resistant and lightfast1 media
-USB / Parallel Interface

The Big Picture Without Borders

The Epson Stylus® Photo 1280 ink jet printer is the ideal large-format choice. It creates beautiful 8" x 10" prints in less than two minutes, incredible 11" x 14" prints in less than four minutes, and inspiring 13" x 44" panoramas faster than ever.

Furthermore, this printer offers superior BorderFree™ printing for photo quality results that print right to the edge, delivering stunning 6-color prints. It produces captivating borderless 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", letter-size, 11" x 14" and 13" x 19" color photos on a variety of Epson photo papers, which are pre-cut in these popular, frame-ready sizes.

The Epson Stylus Photo 1280 creates memorable results on everything from gallery exhibition prints to portfolio prints, duplicates, soft proofs, and enlargements. Epson also offers a variety of media ranging from matte to glossy to luster, for just the right print.

For such exquisite output, you can thank Epson's award-winning, advanced Micro Piezo™ ink jet technology, tiny 4-picoliter variable-sized ink droplets, smooth AcuPhoto Halftoning™ and quick-drying inks. Due to this combination of technologies, your prints will feature fine shadow detail, dazzling highlights, and accurate skintones.

Factor in laser sharp black text, easy compatibility with Windows® and Macintosh® plus software that includes Epson Software™ Film Factory™ and Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 2.0 (LE for Windows 95 or Mac OS 8.5x users, and a special price upgrade to the full version of Adobe Photoshop CS), and you get one big deal for photo enthusiasts seeking unforgettable borderless, 6-color results from a large format printer.
Amazon Ad:
MPN#: 00000000000000000000
B&H Ad:

lbuscher

Registered: Sep 19, 2004
Review Date: Nov 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: chrome inks, three feeds, roll paper & canvas, thck feed for special papers
Cons: No paper cutter, two black inks with only one slot, hard to load roll paper. small ink cartridges

Epsom 2880 printer
I received my new printer about a week ago and right off the bat I could see there would be some minor troubles. What I found was the roll paper was a problem loading and it had no cutter. After a pano was finished, I had to cut the paper with a knife and back the roll out of its feed unless I was going to do another pano. I had a lot of trouble getting the user defined size where I wanted as the manual the way I read it is the way I tried doing it. It did not work as could be seen in the print preview. After many hours I found by just trying things (call to Epson did not help on this matter) I was able to figure how to make a 13 X 40 size that would show correctly on the print preview and printing from P/S I had to turn the photo to the portrait mode. Working with roll canvas, I need to remove the roll and recut the edge on my matt cutter so it was straight for the next time otherwise feeding trouble was encountered. No trouble at all with sheet feeding.
Next trouble I found was the two blacks. One for gloss, and the other for matt. Fine if they provided a slot for both blacks but they do not so this required a change of ink cartridges if going from one type of paper to the other. Second, call to Epson, yes this is right I was told and to place a piece of scotch tape over the jet hole. Wondering just how long the ink would remain OK in this condition is something I am still wondering, as I got no answer. I will try another call in hopes of getting someone more knowledgeable on this matter. Big trouble with this is if I have gloss ink in and want to print a matt paper and I say the heck with it lets see how I comes out the printer will not allow me to select the gloss ink if I show a matt paper, be it sheet or roll. I tried switching to a different paper type and it would work but the photo did suffer some quality so both inks are needed.
The printer is best set up so you can move it around for access to the back for loading roll paper and heavy sheet special paper. There are three loading feeds, which are nice and the print quality is beautiful from the chrome base K3 inks but I wish they could have made a little bigger for sure. Canvas prints are beautiful and well detailed.
All in all I am sure as I get used to it I will be able to work it with les errors and yes I think for the price it delivers fine long lasting prints. I will recommend it if you can stand the troubles I found as I am doing now.
Lou

Nov 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lbuscher to your Buddy List
Diane Bradley

Registered: Aug 9, 2007
Review Date: Aug 9, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Last of the great dye-based inkjets
Cons: Driver updates for Mac Tiger and up abandoned by Epson. Do not buy this printer if you want to be able to color manage your prints!

Aug 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Diane Bradley to your Buddy List
ducati0000

Registered: Jul 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: The large format printing is very attractive,quality at medium settings are extremely crisp and colours are stunning.Barely any difference at the highest settings.Very quiet and the software is glitch free.Might be the best buy out there (used market) for poster size printing..
Cons: dosent have seperate color cartridges,sucks ink like there is no tomorrow when using the utilitiy cleaning for the heads.Bulky and styling is outdated.

Was looking for a affordable high quality printer that can print regular size photos and large format..there wasnt really much inline with the Epson 1280 unless you wanted to pay 3 times more.Printing was very easy without numberous commands from user.I was surprise how quiet it was..took for ever though to print in poster size prints but the results was truely worth the wait.The Epson 2200 has a edge in overall "truth" in coloring but a very small edge..cant really justified in paying 2x more for that slight improvement..highly recommended and good matt paper is a must for amazing results...this is a keeper..

Sep 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ducati0000 to your Buddy List
saturnkk

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide format! Beautiful output. Edge to edge in most sizes up to 13"x19". Good drivers (I have had fits with HP in the past...) Price.
Cons: A bit slow. Lack of seperate color ink cartridges.

Produces beautiful poster sized prints. Great color and saturation. Full-sized (13x19) prints are a bit slow.

Since the Epson 2200 came out this printer is quite affordable. While it may not have the speed nor the archival quality of the 2200, most prints I've seen look the same between the two for a lot less money.

Aug 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add saturnkk to your Buddy List
idahoairships

Registered: Nov 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: 1. Initial cost. 2. Dye ink gamut. 3. Networkable with Epson adapter (~$100) 4. Durable
Cons: 1. Slow 2. Single ink cartridge for color inks. 3. Ink cost moderate-high per print. 4. Dye inks require special paper for "archival" qualities.

1. Mine is networked, with the Epson adapter. This does not discard any problems with the driver ("Do not color manage"). I prefer 10/100 greatly over parallel connections since my computer drives 4 printers.

2. With ICC control on ColorLife paper, the gamut is virtually the same as the 4000 on glossy. Glossy gamuts are a bit contracted, but not to the point of profoundly affect existing light shooters.

3. 720dpi is virtually indistinguishable from 1440 on gloss, and takes about 4 minutes to print an 8x10.

4. ColorLife paper is a matte, and is superb. There are a number of third party suppliers of paper and profiles (inkjetart.com, et. al.) that can make life easy for you.

5. My printer prints warm on generic profiles, including those supplied by Epson.

6. I had trouble going with even the higher quality third party inks. Couldn't get decent black rendering. Conventional wisdom says "avoid" all but the Epson inks.

7. Overall image quality is superb.

Mar 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add idahoairships to your Buddy List