Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Post a Review
Cartridges Price Rating Paper Quality Rating Overall Rating
StylusPhoto2200

Description: - 7-color UltraChrome™ inks and individual ink cartridges
- 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution with ultra-fine 4-picoliter ink droplets
- Roll paper holder and automatic cutter
- Interchangeable Photo and Matte Black inks
- PRINT Image Matching™ technology (P.I.M.)
- Fast USB, FireWire® (IEEE 1394) and parallel connectivity

Cutting-edge Performance. Quality Made to Last.

With 7-color UltraChrome inks, 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution, and ultra-fine 4-picoliter ink droplets, the large-format Epson Stylus® Photo 2200 delivers remarkable archival photos. It even offers true borderless photo printing on glossy media in six popular sizes, plus PRINT Image Matching technology for the best quality photos from PRINT Image Matching-enabled digital cameras.

The first desktop photo printer to use seven pigment inks, the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 provides the highest quality output available from any pigment-based ink jet. And, with its innovative ink system design with individual ink cartridges, it ensures the deepest, darkest blacks for prints and enlargements on both glossy and matte paper. By exchanging the Photo Black ink and optional Matte Black ink cartridges, users can optimize their black ink coverage based on the corresponding paper.

Perfect for portrait or fine art photographers who need archival images that will last up to 108 years¹, this high-speed ink jet makes it easy for anyone to create long-lasting photos and artwork on a variety of media up to 13" x 44". A power-packed performer, the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 comes with an easy-to-use roll paper holder and automatic cutter for a quick, simple way to create borderless 4" x 6" photos. It also includes Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire (IEEE 1394) connectivity, and a convenient Parallel port.
Amazon Ad:
MPN#: 00000000000000000000
B&H Ad:

Page:  1 · 2  next
BillBrowning

Registered: Oct 25, 2003
Review Date: Dec 27, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $625.00

Pros: Quality! Sharp! Works best on matt paper, the black is not glossy. This is easly cured with clear spray coating. You should put this on display prints for UV and insect damage.
Cons: Kind of slow, but the quality makes up for it. For pro work look around and see if anything faster meets your standards. Ink cost? Why does a few ml of ink cost so much?

I have bought a new color matching tool and it makes my computer + printer even better. I have a Xrite color munki design. I bought mine before the photo came out. At first the software did not work. After much hastle and talking to Xrite and Pantone they finally repaired their bad code. Works fine now.
Thats my update for now.
Bill

Dec 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BillBrowning to your Buddy List
BillBrowning

Registered: Oct 25, 2003
Review Date: Jul 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: What can I say that has not been said. It makes very good glossy prints, the only drawback is the black is not glossy on the print. I have found that the matt paper looks as sharp as the glossy with no reflections.
Cons: This printer is made to be used. If it sets idle for more than a few weeks you will have to clean he heads.

When I had the old Epson 1200 series I thought it would be hard to improve on. The 2200 did improve the quality. In the past I only printed on glossy paper because I liked the sharpness. Even in the wet paper days I thought the fiber papers lacked the sharpness I wanted. With the 2200 and enhanced matt I now get sharp prints that have no reflection at all. Now I can see the print and not the light behind me. For the guy from Spain with the 2100 he did not like. Every company puts out a bad example every now and then. As you can read by all of these reviews most of the time this is an excellent printer. Well it's out of production now I hope the replacement is just as good. Now if they would sell the ink for a reasonable price, less than $5.00 USD for the same amount of ink, I would print more and Epson would make even more money. With ink prices like they are they should give the printers away so we would buy the ink. After all this marketing plan works for cell phones.

Jul 26, 2008
Kevin M

Registered: Dec 17, 2002
Review Date: Feb 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent results on Matte papers
Cons: Tiny and expensive cartridges

Been using this printer for almost 3 years without a problem. If your preferred paper is 'matte' the output is excellent.

My requirements of a printer is that it should match as close as possible what I see on the monitor. With this printer, the key is a profiled monitor plus soft-proof and print strictly with the paper profile and the output is near perfect.

My only criticism is the tiny and overly expensive cartridges.

Niggles about head cleaning and roller marks are solved quite easily with a bit of on-line searching and a few minutes of DIY.

Feb 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin M to your Buddy List
Chuck Kuhn

Registered: Feb 24, 2003
Review Date: Jan 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Durable, well built, Excellent Prints on Matte. I've had this printer since 04. Thousands of prints, mostly 11 x14 and 13 x19 and NO problems ever.
Cons: I hate the small ink cartridges and usually sell for $10.95 at Fry's or Staples.

Jan 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Chuck Kuhn to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $725.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Results, Silent, Fast, Consistent.
Cons: NO!

For starter, It STOP my brain of thinking, how someone can honer this great printer in review here with 1 (!!!) Anyhow, do not get confuse by that and check this printer with confidence. It is inexpensive, great working horse in printing, delivering beautiful results on art quality paper !!!

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
wwobbe

Registered: Oct 10, 2004
Review Date: May 16, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: The print quality was ok for it's period. I have not encontered any fading on any of my prints, BUT....
Cons: My first 2200 went up in smoke, literally, after about 2.5 years of service. Then I bought a used one, which promised further service. Unfortunately it just lost its ability to keep the heads aligned. Epson offered a 10% discount at their "factory rebuilts". Not good enough. Overall my experience with this model was at best challenging. Rollpaper operations with Epson Canvas would not always feed properly. Several Ilford papers ended up with roller tracks, therefore totally useless. Although I never bought anything but Epson inks I still faced clogging problems. I lost another Epson printer ( Model C82) to clogged print heads - or the inability to use certain colors. Magenta was my biggest loser. The 2200 also demonstrated the lack of proper feed with my Museo papers. For the amount of money I spent I expected a lot more. As to the future: never again will I buy another Epson product, despite the fact that I am sitting on about $200.00+ worth of inks (useless), Canvas Roll Paper and more...

My final act:
I just ordered a Canon PIXMA Pro 9000. Wish me luck!

May 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wwobbe to your Buddy List
egb6

Registered: May 24, 2006
Review Date: Apr 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Is capable of producing outstanding prints, but needs profiles to get the best out of it. Pigmented ink prints last a very long time, a necessity for exhibition and sales prints.
Cons: On glossy or semi gloss paper the pizza wheels and the output rollers will leave tracks.

The big drawback to this printer are the marks left by the pizza wheels and the output rollers. Following instructions on a web site I wedged the output rollers up with plastic cable ties. I found instructions on how to remove pizza wheels but they did not apply to this printer, so I have wedged them up and hold them in place with blue tack. Having done this and using custom profiles the results are outstanding. The marks do not show up on matte paper so if you only use this paper you will have no problems. It is fairly slow, but I do not believe that it is intended as a production printer. I only use it for my exhibition prints and I am extremely happy with the results that I get after my modifications. Like all Epson printers it likes to be used and will clog if left for some weeks without use, usually a quick clean will fix that. I would only change it for a printer which gives me bigger prints.

Apr 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add egb6 to your Buddy List
anthonygh

Registered: Jan 8, 2006
Review Date: Dec 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, can hardly hear it printing, drop dead georgeos results!
Cons: None to date!

I bought this printer off eBay with a quality CIS included. It hadn't been used for some time and several colours didn't print. I flushed the nozzles using a cleaning kit I bought from the USA and within a day it was working perfectly.

So far, using Ilford papers. it has been spitting out excellent prints - not colour perfect, but I know I will get those with more fine tuning. A lovely piece of kit, well put together and beautifully engineered. For the price paid I'm over the moon - if it had been double or treble the price I would have been as happy. This is ithe second A3 printer I have had from Epson and if this lasts as long as the first (bought from new five years ago and working perfectly) I will be more than happy.

Don't let the fact that this in a 2002 product put you off - it is a seriously pro printer!

Dec 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anthonygh to your Buddy List
awyork

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Jul 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great prints, even on regular paper.
Cons: Small ink carts, needs to be used about once a week

Accidentally printed full res on normal paper the other day. Still did a great job.

I love this printer. Most people can't believe that an entry level printer can produce something that looks like it came from a store.

Ink will dry and takes a lot of cleaning (and ink) so print something off about once a week. It would be REAL nice if you could tell printer to only clean one color.

Also, I find it a good idea to prints for 24 hrs.

Jul 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add awyork to your Buddy List
flizzy

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: Jul 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wonderful print quality on different types of paper. Archival, pigment inks. Individual tanks. 13"x44" print size.
Cons: Slow, and like all Epson's, needs constant use to keep nozzles and printheads clean.

I've had this printer for about a year and a half now. I've used Premium Glossy, Luster, Heavyweight Matte and Semigloss(all Epson brands) and all have made for fantastic prints. I just ran some Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss through it, and I think I like the Ilford the most so far. Great image quality and a lower price. In fact, all the Ilford Smooth papers are made with the 2200 in mind.
It is quite slow, comparitively. A friend of mine raced his Canon i9900 against his girlfriend's 2200, and, of course, the Canon was almost twice as fast. The 2200, however, produced a better image with more accurate colors. He also thought he could somehow use rolls of paper, like the Epson, but when he called Canon, the tech said Canon doesn't produce rolled paper, so they don't suppert it. I guess if he wants to make a 13"x44" pano, he can borrow his girlfriends printer.
The independant tanks are nice, as I use 3 lt. magentas for every 2 of the other colors. Plus, if the nozzles or printheads become dirty, just run the cleaning tools and you're all set in a minute or two. The lt black is cool, too. Produces nice b&w prints.
Look out for the 2400(MSPR $850), due out soon. It has 3rd generation Ultra Chrome inks and adds a "lighter black" cartridge.
I give it 9s because I don't give anything 10's.

Jul 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flizzy to your Buddy List
Newk

Registered: Apr 23, 2003
Review Date: Apr 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful archival prints on fine art paper. Dependable and trouble free.
Cons: Probably not the best printer for glossy prints. A little slow, especially at 2800 dpi.

I bought mine nearly three years ago when it was first introduced. I use it commercially (professional photographer), sometimes letting it spit prints out well into the night. I use mostly Velvet Fine Art paper for b&w and color. My customers love the prints, as do I.

In addition to printing photos and the occasional letter, etc., I make limited edition art reproductions on this machine. I paid for the initial investment the first month I owned it, just counting profits from art repros. I also print all of my own brocures on this printer using Epson's double-sided heavy-weight paper, and sometimes similar brochures and/or information sheets for customers who demand small runs (up to 100) of the highest print quality possible.

In the three years I've had it I've only experienced one head clog, and that was fixed in a couple minutes with a simple head cleaning. I use Epson's inks exclusively and would not recommend anything else.

For the price, the 2200 can't be beat for my uses.

Apr 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Newk to your Buddy List
vg1952

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: Mar 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Good quality when used with right paper. Allows to replace one color. Epson has very good customer service.
Cons: Price, slow speed. If you don't use it for a month needs a lot of work to make it start printing right.

I read a lot of good info about this printer, and bought it immediately when it reached the market. It produces good quality, but gives me a lot of headache. It is very sensitive to paper. When I don't use it for about a month it may require a lot of adjusting.
If I would start again, I would go for Canon: cheaper and more reliable. Can print on almost any type of paper.

Mar 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vg1952 to your Buddy List
Alchemist

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Review Date: Mar 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Print quality, custom paper sizes, roll paper, quiet
Cons: Metamerism on some glossy papers; steep learning curve in figuring out profiles & settings

I was the lucky recipient of this printer as a gift! Then the fun began when I tried to print.... I got ghastly reddish images (which I later found was due to double-profiling) & immediately ordered several books to help figure this machine out, set up paper profiles & so on. I must have spent equal to the price of the printer for the books, a device to profile my monitor (which is indispensable), & various paper stocks. But it was all worth it. I can now print anything I want & it nearly always looks fabulous. I love this machine! (And I especially love the person who gave it to me!)

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alchemist to your Buddy List
Javier Rey

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Review Date: Mar 3, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 1

Pros: The web reviews
Cons: Te reality

I find to be reading comments of another planet or my recently bought Epson 2100 Europe: 2100 USA: 2200) it is an unique copy and manufactured exclusively to give me headaches.
I read with astonishment that some of you use paper Epson Premium Glossy (?): my data, confirmed in Epson are that this printer is not suitable for this paper type (I' am sadly been able to check it personally: out and mediocre pictures, with loss of details and pop)
I have also read something on the paper Luster (I don't know it: I don't know if you refer to the Glossy when you speak of Luster).
To finish: I have just received a message of support of EPSON: " this machine has been designed to be used with matte paper of long duration; Premium Semigloss; and paper of high grammage. The paper Premium Glossy is not compatible with the inks of this printer since a saturation of the brillant and black" tones is contemplated "
On the other hand, the drivers of my printer only allows me to choose among these three mentioned paper types: semigloss, matte long duration and high basis weight paper.
Are we speaking of different worlds...? because the printer is exactly the same one.
If somebody can clear up all this he would be deeply grateful.

Best

Javier

Mar 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Javier Rey to your Buddy List
Javier Rey

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Review Date: Mar 3, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: The web's reviews
Cons: The reality

I read with astonishment that some of you use paper Epson Premium Glossy (?): my data, confirmed in Epson, are that this printer is not suitable for this paper type (I' am sadly been able to check it personally: out and mediocre pictures, with loss of details and pop)
I have also read something on the paper Luster (I don't know this paper: perhaps you refer to the Glossy when you speak of Luster).
If somebody can clear up all this he would be deeply grateful.

Mfpar35

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Print quality, color, paper, overall printing cost, size of prints, roll paper, and more!
Cons: Prints take a while. Ink is not cheap. Size (takes up alot of space)

It's AMAZING ... I can print anything I want with this thing. With the Epson Photo Luster paper you can print gallery quality photographs!!! I haven't printed anywhere else since purchasing this machine.

Feb 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mfpar35 to your Buddy List
Page:  1 · 2  next