Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Post a Review
Cartridges Price Rating Paper Quality Rating Overall Rating
StylusPhoto2200

Description: - 7-color UltraChrome™ inks and individual ink cartridges
- 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution with ultra-fine 4-picoliter ink droplets
- Roll paper holder and automatic cutter
- Interchangeable Photo and Matte Black inks
- PRINT Image Matching™ technology (P.I.M.)
- Fast USB, FireWire® (IEEE 1394) and parallel connectivity

Cutting-edge Performance. Quality Made to Last.

With 7-color UltraChrome inks, 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution, and ultra-fine 4-picoliter ink droplets, the large-format Epson Stylus® Photo 2200 delivers remarkable archival photos. It even offers true borderless photo printing on glossy media in six popular sizes, plus PRINT Image Matching technology for the best quality photos from PRINT Image Matching-enabled digital cameras.

The first desktop photo printer to use seven pigment inks, the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 provides the highest quality output available from any pigment-based ink jet. And, with its innovative ink system design with individual ink cartridges, it ensures the deepest, darkest blacks for prints and enlargements on both glossy and matte paper. By exchanging the Photo Black ink and optional Matte Black ink cartridges, users can optimize their black ink coverage based on the corresponding paper.

Perfect for portrait or fine art photographers who need archival images that will last up to 108 years¹, this high-speed ink jet makes it easy for anyone to create long-lasting photos and artwork on a variety of media up to 13" x 44". A power-packed performer, the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 comes with an easy-to-use roll paper holder and automatic cutter for a quick, simple way to create borderless 4" x 6" photos. It also includes Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire (IEEE 1394) connectivity, and a convenient Parallel port.
Amazon Ad:
MPN#: 00000000000000000000
B&H Ad:

Page:  1 · 2
hermosawave

Registered: Jul 12, 2003
Review Date: Feb 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent print quality. Versatile paper options. Not real noisy.
Cons: Small ink cartridges mean one is almost always running out. Wish the SemiMatte paper was available for it.

I've had a 2200 for almost 2 years. I've printed hundreds of prints from 4x6 to 13x36. Finally a warning appeared, "Parts inside your printer have reached the end of their serviceable life," and it wouldn't print anymore.

Into the shop, where the Ink Pads were replaced. Evidently this is the most common service for this printer. $35 of parts but $150 of labor to take the printer apart and put it back together again.

While in the shop, I upgraded to the Epson 4000. The 4000 is a more professional printer, faster, bigger, noisier. I thought I would sell the 2200 when I got it back, but now I'm not so sure... The 2200 is really viable as your single printer for everything - emails, cheques, documents, as well as photos.

But $20,000 of photos off a $700 printer is a good investment anyway you look at it!

My favorite papers are the enhanced matte and semigloss.

Feb 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hermosawave to your Buddy List
rdonson

Registered: Feb 22, 2002
Review Date: Feb 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $679.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality especially on matte papers.
Cons: Metamerism/bronzing on glossy papers.

I love mine.

I haven't really taken advantage of the roll paper, preferring sheets instead but its nice to know I can print some good sized panos if I'd like.

I started out printing Epson semi-gloss and luster. The luster is quite nice but honestly I've come to really like the matte papers and Epson Enhanced Matte is a good, everyday paper until you decide you want something fancier. Perhaps I'm just an old throw back but I like the matte papers better than the RC glossy and luster papers.

Like most people I've got a color managed system and find that the most recent Epson profiles are pretty good for their papers.

Feb 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rdonson to your Buddy List
Jim Neely

Registered: Feb 11, 2003
Review Date: Jan 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use.
Cons: Expensive Ink

I shoot mostly wildlife and a few (very few) family shots.

I shoot with 10D & 20D cameras and profile the monitor and paper. I have very few problems printing what I see on the monitor.

I had a problem after period of not using the printer for several weeks. The problem was solved by replacing ink cartridges and reprofiling everything.

I print on Epson Premium Luster and Enhanced Matte. I prefer the Premium Luster and use it for 8 1/2 X 11 and 13 X 19 prints.

I'd buy this baby again in a heart beat.

jn

Jan 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jim Neely to your Buddy List
bsoten

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Review Date: Jan 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $808.11 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fine Art Black and White prints are what this machine was born to do...and it does it very well
Cons: Hmm...Can't think of a legitimate con.

First and foremost, I have NOT ran every type of papaer threw this wonderful printer. I have read reviews and articles that this printer does and outstanding job with certain types of fine art papers.

What I have put threw this printer is Enhanced Matte paper up to 13x19 and Premium Glossy up to 8x10.

Ya know that saying "Garbage in, gargabe out"? Well I walk around with an 11x14 portfolio filled to the brim with my FAN (fine art nude) Black and White prints on matte paper, and people have "accussed" my work of being medium format prints from a lab. Of course they are completely shocked with I tell them that the prints are from an inkjet.

I've never owned anything buy Epson printers and never will. They say "Never say never", but I can't imagine switching to something else.

Now I have a buddy that has a Canon 9000. That thing is FAST! But the prints come out almost wet to the touch and while they do look ok, it doesn't do good quality black and white like my 2200.

I love the individual ink tanks, but that isn't exclusive to Epson.

This printer is really quiet. I am most creative after midnight, so when I'm churning out big prints, the "print noise" doesn't really exist for me. I know it makes that swishhhh sound, but I don't notice it. When I'm done with a particular image, I go ahead and print it out while working on another project.

If you don't understand color management and you don't have a sure way to calibrate your monitor, then don't buy this printer. Also, if you do the occasional print or you don't print anything larger than 8x10, don't buy this printer.

If you are an artsit and need larger than the standard 8x10, BUT THIS PRINTER. I can't see why I would ever need to outsource to a lab or printer. Right now I don't need anything larger, and as of yet have never asked to print anything larger by my clients.

Jan 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bsoten to your Buddy List
Page:  1 · 2