Canon EF 35mm f/2

132 360151 Apr 7, 2014
8.8
ef35mmf2_1_

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 0.8 ft. (25cm), you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

Gorham

Registered: Jun 1, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, lightweight; metal mount. Has become my 'normal' lens with my 1D and its 1.3x multiplier. Images are good.
Cons:
AF is a tad slow but one gets used to it. Small filter size. Wish it were USM and 1.8. :)

This lens has become my 'normal' lens with 1.3x multiplier DSLRs. I like what it does and it's plenty light weight. Good in low light situations but I'd rather it were f/1.8 and had USM. At the same pricepoint of course! :>

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gorham to your Buddy List
fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Apr 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice and small, pretty fast lens, acceptable sharpness wide open, gets sharper and sharper from f2.2 and on, fairly fast AF, excellent on a 1.6x SLR, good 9.6" min focus distance.
Cons:
Infamous "wasp in a matchbox" AF noise (but you get used to it), not much else to complain about.

I'm very pleased with my copy. The focus is "bang-on", arguably the best focusing lens of all my lenses (in terms of accuracy). Sharpness is acceptable-to-good wide open, and only gets better stopped down. By f2.8 it is very sharp. Good colors and contrast. Great lens to have, period. See some of my test shots here: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/primestest

Apr 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
mudlake

Registered: Nov 22, 2002
Review Date: Mar 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $219.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, fast, sharp
Cons:
none.

I purchased this last week for a family shoot that I knew it would be perfect for. After shooting 200 frames with this lens, I can tell you that it will be on my 10D the vast majority of the time now. It is extremely sharp at f2.8 and smaller and very sharp at f2.

The close-focusing feature is just a bonus. Autofocus is fast enough for my purposes and the high-pitched whine of the motor isn't any problem (stuff like that doesn't bother me as long as a lens is sharp and colorful and focuses fast). Contrast is nice too and I like the colors. The focal lenght on a 10D is just perfect - not too long and not too short. Canon has a winner in this fine little lens.

Mar 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mudlake to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Mar 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small size, sharp, cheap
Cons:
buzzy focusing, can't refocus in auto mode (need to switch to manual)

A good prime lens. Not spectacular but a useful length on a 1.6x crop (used mainly for social & general work). 'Buzzy' but accurate focusing and a shame one cannot refocus manually at all in auto mode but a good buy nonetheless and will be used a lot on my new 20D. Useful distance scale. Glad I bought it.

Mar 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
Gossamer266

Registered: Dec 1, 2004
Review Date: Mar 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, very very sharp. Also fast aperture at F2. Light.
Cons:
Rather noisy when focussing.

I purchased this lens after having purchased my Digital Rebel with the kit lens, as well as a 50/1.8, 24-85/3.5-4.5 and borrowing my brother's 75-300.

The 35/2 is the sharpest of the lot by quite a measure (beats the 50/1.8). It is light and is rapid to focus though the buzzing sound it makes may bother some.

I would say the only thing that makes me rate it a 9 rather than the 10, is though it is perfectly sharp and effective for using available light indoors, the saturation is slightly lower than on my 24-85. Obviously this can be improved in post-editing.

Oddly, though, ever since I have purchased it, I keep popping off the 24-85 and popping on the 35/2. Perhaps I am becoming a primes person (though the same didn't happen with the 50/1.8 of which my copy seems to not be too sharp).

Mar 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gossamer266 to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: small, lightweight, cost effective lens
Cons:
soft at f2...comes good between 2.8 and 4...after that it rocks.

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
giantsuper

Registered: Nov 9, 2004
Review Date: Jan 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $202.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I may have a good copy, but this lens is super sharp stopped down and has acceptable sharpness even wide open. It compares favorably with my 24-70L. Definitely as sharp as the L at F2.8.
Cons:
Focusing is loud and tinny.

Jan 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add giantsuper to your Buddy List
jbd1

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Perfect focal length on a 300D/10D/20D to replace a 50mm lens on a film camera. f/2 is good for low light. Nice sharp pictures. Lens is cheap, small.
Cons:
Noisy to focus compared to USM lenses.

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jbd1 to your Buddy List
shlomi

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jan 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, small, light, cheap, perfect focal length, close focusing
Cons:
Focus hunt, very noisy, slightly washed out colors, hceap feel

I love this lens and use it whenever I can. When it manages to focus correctly the results are just great. The colors are not comparable to those of the 50/1.4 but I like them as they are. It is small and cheap feeling - but it makes the camera very light and comfortable to handle in comparison to my other lenses.

The one problem that bothers me with this lens is the focus hunt in low light. I don't take it anymore to low light situations because I know it will fail, which kind of voids the f/2 advantage. This makes me consider the 35/1.4 seriously as I am otherwise happy with this lens. BTW I'm sure the low light problem can be fixed with a flash or ST-E2 focus assit light.

There is also that irritating buzzing sound of the focus engine but I can live with that. In fact just the other day someone told me my camera must be top of the line if it makes such professional sounding noises :-)

It can focus very closely and can almost be called a macro despite the short focal length.

As a walkaround I find it is the best length for 1.6x crop. I always use it at f/2.8 and above to get a normal DOF and good sharpness, but when used at f/2 results are fine too.

Jan 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shlomi to your Buddy List
krisdoff

Registered: Jan 10, 2005
Review Date: Jan 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, great value for money
Cons:
Focussing not as quick and silent as ring USM but not a big issue

I needed a wider angle than my Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Canon 85mm f/1.8 for portrait photography. Very limited space in my small dining room which I use as a studio. This lens really does the trick. With 1.6 crop factor on EOS 10D, it's a "normal" lens. Now I can get more than just head and shoulder portraits.

I'm a big fan of primes and this lens does not disappoint.

Here's some samples:

Jan 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add krisdoff to your Buddy List
KJbruin

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, speed, cost, compact size
Cons:
AF a bit noisy, not as contrasty as L

Love this lens. THe focal lenght is good for indoor shots. THe 50mm prime is a bit long. F2 gives me the speed I need for available light photography. Very sharp and chontrast is very good, just under L performance. AF is fast but a bit noisy at times, though it does not bother me. The f1.4 version is slightly sharper and a bit more contrasty but if you don't need f1.4 then this lens is a quality alternative.

Jan 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KJbruin to your Buddy List
amitai

Registered: May 12, 2003
Location: Israel
Review Date: Dec 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: light weight, very sharp, good low light capabilities.Cheap. very small-doesn't intimidate subjects.Normal FOV on a digital x1.6 sensor
Cons:
Flare. flare. flare.

I like this lens a lot because of its size and its sharpness.
I do suffer from flare perhaps because of lack of a hood. I use it for clubbing photography and it's a little too narrow in crowded places, but it shined as my documentry project only lens.

Dec 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amitai to your Buddy List
edwardkaraa

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Dec 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharpness, price, wide aperture.
Cons:
non USM, build, contrast, bokeh.

very usable standard lens for APS DSLR. AF is ok, despite the lack of USM. contrast is so-so but can be fixed in post-processing.

Dec 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edwardkaraa to your Buddy List
neilgundel

Registered: Dec 2, 2004
Review Date: Dec 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Contrast and resolution is on par with other Canon standard/wide angles, which is to say very good. Price
Cons:
Snap on lens hood Vignetting wide open Bad bokeh for a Canon Prime

This lens is capable of taking outstanding pictures - the sharpness is very good out to the corners even wide open, and the contrast is excellent.

There are only a couple things that I don't like about this lens. It doesn't bother me much that it's not a USM - it still focuses very quickly. It is not silent, but neither are my camera bodies.

I am annoyed by the lens hood mounting arrangements. All the L's and some of the non-L's have a hood with stiff bayonet mount, so you can carry the hood reversed on the lens when you aren't using it. To mount the lens, I grasp it by the hood and twist the lens in the mount until it locks into place. After I mount the lens, I reverse the hood & I am good to go.

If I try to do this with the 35/2 (and the 85/1.8 is the same in this respect) I can't mount the lens without sneaking my fingers behind the hood, because the hood has no grip on the lens. This is kind of a whiney nit-pick I know - especially for someone who doesn't change lenses often. But it costs me probably 5 seconds each time I mount this lens vs. the other system & I DO change lenses frequently. With the EOS 3, I almost always carry 2 bodies, but when I go digital that won't be an option, so it will be an even bigger dean then. ($8,000 x 2???)

Another thing is that my old 35/2 FD lens did not vignette significantly wide open, but this one does - on a full frame film camera at any rate. On the positive side, I now know how to fix even very noticeable vignetting in Photoshop so it is virtually undetectable. You can create a curves/levels adjustment layer with a layer mask filled with a radial gradient - you can even fine-tune it by applying levels/curves to the mask. Email me at my web site if you want a better explanation. You have to balance this against the fact that this lens is much sharper than that old FD lens.

Bad bokeh for a Canon prime. This is the only Canon EF prime lens I have used with less-than-stellar bokeh. All the other primes (plus the 70-200) have nearly perfect uniform filled circles on out-of-focus point sources, which gives a nice background blur. This one has a bright ring around each circle, which is not as nice. It is nowhere near as bad as some images I have seen published, but not quite up to Canon standards.

Would I buy it again? Probably - it is a sensible choice if 35mm is not the most important focal length in your bag, and it is made to a higher standard than the 50/1.8, so the price is probably justified. But I am disappointed in the vignetting/bokeh issues that Canon could have avoided at this price point or close to it - these are undoubtedly the result of the compact design, which would not be my priority.

Dec 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add neilgundel to your Buddy List
choochoo

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Nov 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $210.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super lightweight, sharp wide open, short minimum focus distance, fast AF. Decent bokeh. Super cheap when compared to it's 35mm f1.4 L brother.
Cons:
no silent USM AF, AF motor a little buzzy, bokeh not as smooth as a circular bladed shutter, but not that bad. no internal focus.

My new favorite lens! This lens is so small, compact, and light that you can walk around with it all day. On the 1.6X crop cameras, it's field of view is close to a normal lens. You can get really close to your subject because of its short minimum focusing distance. Great low light lens. You can hold it steady because it's sooooo light. Great picture quality. Sharp and smooth bokeh. Inexpensive. Awesome little lens.

Nov 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add choochoo to your Buddy List
mclaren20

Registered: Jun 13, 2004
Review Date: Oct 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My personal favorite focal length for film. Fast f/2.
Cons:
Not much. Id say not as sharp as it could be wide open, but I only paid $230, so Im not complaining. I guess im not spoiled with USM yet either, so the AF doesnt at all bother me.

Oct 24, 2004