Canon EF 35mm f/2

130 361368 Apr 7, 2014
8.7
ef35mmf2_1_

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 0.8 ft. (25cm), you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

bitflogger

Registered: Dec 12, 2005
Review Date: Dec 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A pleasant surprise - a bargain, quality images, and gives close to the 50mm equiv I grew up with and speed my zooms to not have. People who see the images are also impressed. Seems to focus fast in spite of the noise.
Cons:
Clearly not L or "SSC" (my old FD vintage) build, but hardly a complaint when you can buy and break a number of these for the price of many lenses. The lens is noisy compared to the 3 USM-types I have.

Bottom line: Proof that spending a lot usually means diminishing returns. A perfect complement to my slower and longer lenses, and an extremely useful item for my film and 1.6 crop bodies. Again, rather amazing considering how much one can pay for a lens.

Dec 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bitflogger to your Buddy List
kalliljas

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: light, small, sharp wide open, very usable focal length, reasonable price
Cons:
loud! no USM (slow focus), crappy and expensive lens hood

I have this lens on my camera most of the time. I bought it with the lens hood and an UV filter for $200 in Nagoya, Japan. That's a bargain! I agree with many users that the biggest problem with this lens is that it's too loud. For the price it should have been USM.

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kalliljas to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small,light, filter size F stop.(did I mention SHARP???)
Cons:
Hood is a bit fiddly to put on and remove in the cold.

I use this lens on FF(mk1ds/mk2ds and now 5D) Could there be a cheap lens on FF to satisfy an ex Leica m user?? Yes! and this is the lens. Now I`m not saying that this is as good as a Leica M lens (what is) but as far as Canon digital cameras are concerned they don`t produce results any better.
It is usuable wide open but of course stopped down to f8 or 11 where I use WA lenses is where it comes into it`s own. Other than the mention above about the tricky hood(the harder you press the more the hood distorts) and if you don`t press the tabs hard enough it won`t come off) I really can`t fault this lens. I know that QC and compatibility with a camera plays a big part so maybe it won`t be as good for you but on the above mentioned three cameras it really is as good as it gets. I`d like to think that there is a real WA lens out there that would perform as good as this does but even my good copy Sigma 20 1.8 doesn`t do it like this baby. I believe that the image content comes first and then the quality but this lens can turn an image with good contenet into a winner.Anyone in the market for a 35mm lens should give this a try. BTW, don`t expect L build, it`s more like my 50 1.8 but what the heck.

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
chromafile

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Nov 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Ergonomics, sharpness, large maximum apeture.
Cons:
Cheap feeling focusing ring, noise.

The small size and light weight make this lens a pleasure to use on a 1.6fov camera.

Nov 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chromafile to your Buddy List
thw2

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $210.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very light-weight, Sharp, Excellent contrast and colors
Cons:
Noisy autofocus (buzzzzzz)

I had some issues with the lens when I first got it: terrible, terrible resolution. Sent it in for repair. Came back sharp but one corner was blurry. So I sent it in for repair a second time. This time, it came back super sharp with excellent autofocus (but still noisy). Couldn't be happier.

So, if you can get a good copy, it's a remarkable lens for its price. 35 mm is great on an APS-C camera.

Nov 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thw2 to your Buddy List
skatamacf

Registered: Nov 9, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small & Light, Sharp, Fast, Excellent Price to Performance Ratio
Cons:
Doesnt bother me but - AF motor makes BUZZ noise.

I gave this a 10/10 for the following reasons:

Primarily because for the average price these go for there are no real defects that effect the image quality like CA, softness etc. If i was to compare it to other lenses like the 30mm f1.4 Sigma i might rank that higher in terms of performance but it is about 2.5-3x the price here in AUS. So keep that in mind.

I really like this lens because its a great "walkaround" prime. It light, small, sharp and fast - f2. I do find it to be a great focal length and perhaps alot more appropriate for walkaround than the 50mm f1.8. The 50 is still a sensational lens but in terms of being able to just walk around with one lens this could be great for street shooting and indoors/low light in closer spaces. I like that its black and small, definately not intimidating especially when chucked on the 350D.

Overall i cannot pick a fault on it that matters enough to remove any points from it. It does whats its primary purpose is very well, its sharp and fast. The buzzing AF motor doesnt affect me in anyway.

Again i based my conclusions on buying 2nd hand and not brand new.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skatamacf to your Buddy List
scrambledfigs

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, great colors, very light, positively tiny.
Cons:
Not quite the same matte black color as my 350D. Really, though, none so far.

I got this lens for my Rebel XT as a standard 50mm eqivalent. Makes the XT look like a snub-nosed 38. It's a fantastic lens for the money—very clear, contrasty and great in low light. It's also a great focal length for 1.6 FOVC cameras, about as close as you can get to the gold standard 50mm.

It's a bit buzzy, sure, but it's not a bad sound. Reminds me of a robot. Focus ring isn't perfectly smooth in MF. Keep in mind that I'm being really persnikety. Overall, it's a fantastic lens and I think it's going to stay on my camera for a while.

Next purchase is probably going to be the EF-S 17-85mm f.4-5.6 IS USM. . . Unless Canon makes a 17-85mm f/2.8 IS USM. . . Please. . .

-Dustin Driver

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scrambledfigs to your Buddy List
gullevek

Registered: Oct 15, 2005
Review Date: Oct 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: small, sharp, cheap but comes with hood and puch, f2
Cons:
very noisy AF, slow AF, sometimes AF hunts on low light or plain colors

I was searching for a prime with a low f number that I can use in low light without flash. I was first drawn to the 50mm f1.8 because it is so cheap, but as I use an APC-S sensor, 50mm was too much zoom for me so I was choosing between the 28mm f1.8 usm and this one.

As the 28mm was double the price and I really didn't need fast USM for the purpose I wanted the lense, I went with the cheaper 35mm.

Until now I am very happy. I can go in very close to subjects (~25cm) and with the low f number I can take some amazing shots. It's truly one amazing lense, even for some walk-arounds.

I highly recommend this lense, because its cheap, sharp and is definitly worth to have.

Oct 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gullevek to your Buddy List
thp1

Registered: Mar 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $175.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, good color, f/2, small size, price
Cons:
Construction is a bit flimsy, and as others have mentioned, it's a bit noisy, but I can definitely live with these imperfections because of the end results and the price!

I recently purchased this great little lens used, and I am very happy with it! I take a lot of indoor photos of small groups of 2-10, and it has not let me down. On my 20D, the perspective is very nice for small groups. Sharpness is very acceptable at f/2, and it's excellent from f/2.2 on. When flash is needed, it works well with my 420EX. I find myself walking around with this on my camera most of the time now. It's so small and light that it makes my camera look very inobtrusive. You really can't go wrong with it.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thp1 to your Buddy List
binho

Registered: Jun 3, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Sep 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, size, weight, price.
Cons:
this is really not a problem, but the focus is a little bit slow and noisy.

this is a great lens. very nice from f2-22. at least on my D30, i saw very little difference between wide-open to f8-11. sharp pictures, no noticeable barrel-distorcion (at least on a 1.6 crop, but this lens does not appears on those correction plug-ins. the 35mm L yes...). a very nice lens to walk-around, but its on the edge for me. any milimiters more and wouldn´t be good. and in a really good price for the quality.

Sep 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add binho to your Buddy List
JL77

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast, light, small, useful focal length. price
Cons:
noisy AF, no USM, but not really a big deal.

This is a great lens to have.

Aug 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JL77 to your Buddy List
asams10

Registered: Jul 21, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, light weight, compact.
Cons:
Build Quality seems flimsy.

Noisy motor? I upgraded from Pentax. This lens is much faster focusing and about the same noise signature. I found this lens to be a great prime. I'd rather have a better build qualtiy to go along with the optical quality. One thing I did was add a 52mm-55mm step-up ring. The plastic threads on the front of the lens bothered me and I've got a circular polarizer always on the ready-alert. What would I do different? Why not a USM version of this lens with full-time Manual override?

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add asams10 to your Buddy List
benpaul67

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpest lens I own below f/2.8. Wide open, its 20 times sharper than the 35mm f/1.4 (I got) wide open. Much sharper than my 85mm f/1.8 wide open by quite a bit too. Much much sharper than my 50 f/1.4 wide open. Sharpness changess very little with aperature.
Cons:
Feels cheap (is cheap). Prone to flare, but for a low light lens, for use at f2, its the best I've seen. Did I say prone to flair? Not as contrasty as a properly constructed and QC'd L lens. Excellent sharpness but it would need mo/ mo betta' coatings to be a Leica.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add benpaul67 to your Buddy List
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Jun 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price and the size.
Cons:
noisy motor is my real only complaint.

Great lens for walking around with. Color, contrast and sharpness are very nice for the price of the lens. I am amazed at times on the sharpness wide open, while NOT razor sharp it still has more then enough to work with. Stopped down a notch or two and the lens really shines. My lens has very little CA wide open.

This lens with a USM motor and CMF would be very nice. For the price a great buy!

Jun 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $232.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, wide aperture. Sharp lens, even at f/2
Cons:
Loud focus, hunts sometimes...

The 35mm f/2 lens from canon is a great lens to ad to anyone's collection. The focal length works well on 1.6x cameras. This lens has a few drawbacks though. The focus ring is somewhat high pitched, and the focus may be a little slow in low contrast areas. But shooting at f/2 and f/2.8 are where this lens shines. It makes a great lens to bring to the neighborhood BBQ party, and just an overall nice focal length to use. The build on this lens is quite decent as well.

Jun 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, cheap
Cons:
None for the price but maybe build quality.

Bought this one second hand. The EF35 f2 along with my EF50 f1.4 have become my indoor portrait lenses of choice on my 20D. The EF 35 is a great little lens for those tight shots indoors. Do not be put off by reports of buzzy motors. First time, it is strange but you hardly ever notice again. I use the lens for street photography too. Picture quality has been great. Even when shooting high ISO with my 20D at very low ligh music gigs. Have felt I needed the 35L and extra stop but for the price of the EF 35 f2, Im not complaining too much at all :-)

Only reason I did not give this lens a 10 rating is because of the build quality and I've used the 35L which totally rocks and would beat most lenses hands down.

Jun 21, 2005