Canon EF 35mm f/2

132 358349 Apr 7, 2014
8.8
ef35mmf2_1_

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 0.8 ft. (25cm), you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

marcelo.h

Registered: Jun 3, 2006
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Center and border sharpness. Good construction. Perfect size for my 350D.
Cons:
Noisy AF

I've been reserching for a better cost/benefit ratio lens, even after bought my one. No way... for a non L lens there is not alternative for this price. 28mm 2.8 EF is not so good. Sigma 30mm 1.8 is expensive and the Canon is at least so good. The L version 1.4... my God, too expensive.

I compare it with my Zuiko lenses... I am surprised! 35mm EF stands side-by-side in some situations. No mistakes!

Jul 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marcelo.h to your Buddy List
JORDI350D

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $219.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ligth, very sharp, cheap= fantastic.
Cons:
Not FTM.

This is my favourite lens.
It is very sharp.
The minimal focus distance is only 0.23 and works fantastic for a flowers works and close up pics.
In resume a excellent lens for the price.
Very good standar lens for a 1.6 bodies.

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JORDI350D to your Buddy List
Sailaire

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light at 8 oz. Very sharp, well built, fast focus, great price, perfect normal lens on a 20D
Cons:
Many have mentioned the "hornet focus motor". Unless they have changed something mine is very quiet. Just received today.

My base line reference for this lens is not an "L" lens, so I rate the build and overall rating at 10. It's quieter and faster than my Sigma 50mm 1:1 macro and just as sharp. This is not in the same class as the 50mm 1.8 kit lens as some have stated. It's a lot better.

Very sharp, very fast focus, low light f2, low price. A winning combination for sure.

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sailaire to your Buddy List
mirages

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Review Date: May 16, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: My second prime.
Cons:
Quality control issues.

Ordered my second prime (first being the 50mm 1.4). Though I thought the 5Omm focus ring felt grainy inside (it has since made up with photo quality), I have to say I was truely dismayed upon this lenses arrival. Though the build quality appeared good, right away I noticed the focus ring was just a spinning wheel, with no attachment to anything.

So, this has prompted me to now delve into the "L Order" (gak); a 35mm L is on the way from the same company. I don't blame them, just quality control. Maybe ordering in the midst of the rebate period is unwise - might be better to get with the program right away with the lenses that are already built.

With all the hype about the little 35, I was actually looking forward to using it. Now I will be likely be permanently spoiled; and not sure when or if I will ever use one. Already feels like a L bug bit me! I guess part of this post likely belongs on the 5O 1.4 board; as I use it more I will share there.

I am not rating this lens due to the fact that I got only one bad copy - perhaps just fate or random bad luck; I hope others who choose this lens have better! Happy Trails...

May 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mirages to your Buddy List
Taff Reardon

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, Light, Sharp, Great DOF at f2
Cons:

Just got this lens after selling my 17-85 IS. Also bought the 24 f2.8 and the 851.8 as well.

All I can say is Wow. Thats what sharp images with great contrast, colour and Bokeh are meant to look like.

Knocks the 17-85 into next week. Am I glad I decided to go for primes or what.

I see no need to look at L glass when I have lenses of this quality and price in my bag.

May 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Taff Reardon to your Buddy List
sangredetigre

Registered: May 1, 2006
Review Date: May 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value for money. Decent focusing speed, decent colour and contrast. Very compact & light.
Cons:
Not 'L' quality ?

May 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sangredetigre to your Buddy List
fredus

Registered: Feb 7, 2003
Review Date: Apr 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: One heck of a lens ! Sharp, contrasty, small, light, inexpensive. One of the best lens in the whole Canon Line up.
Cons:
I don't know ... Cheap construction ?

Every Canon owner should get this lens. Period. Here is a test shot:

http://www.400iso.com/photos/moustache.jpg .. Many other on my website.

Fred

Apr 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fredus to your Buddy List
flashbracket

Registered: Mar 4, 2006
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: light and sharp throughout.
Cons:
Some may complain about the auto-focus noise, but it does bother me.

I use this lense with the 5D, and I cannot see any softness at the edges. Being a keen landscape photographer, I often resort to MF, but sometimes AF - noise is not an issue for me.

What's important to me is the fact that it's a prime and primes are notoriously better than zooms, which this lense has proved to me time after time. Traditionally, Canon did not include a hood - good ol' Canon. They haven't the heart to change. Something tells me, however, that the L version is not going to give me much more at four times the price, but you get a free hood for the extra cost.

I am happy, very happy.

Here's a sample: http://www.pbase.com/flashbracket/image/58394132

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add flashbracket to your Buddy List
jhsymington

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 6, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap. Focusses quickly.
Cons:
Cheap. Buzzy focus. Not sharp in the corners.

I want to like this lens and perhaps I have been unlucky and picked up a bad one if such a thing exists. The reason I buy primes is to get better image quality than I would from zooms and most of the time that is the case.

However, although you would expect a certain amount of fuzziness wide open, at f8 and focussed at infinity you still get an unnaceptable degree of softness in the corners with this lens and so, for my purposes, this lens falls at the first hurdle.

I had hoped that at f8 this lens would outperform the 24-105mm at 35mm wide open and it doesn't. This is probably more of a testament to how good that zoom lens is though. But a medium wide angle prime should do better, even at the very low price of this lens, so I just couldn't recommend it.

I will need to try the 35mm L I suppose and just bite the bullet.

Apr 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jhsymington to your Buddy List
nle57

Registered: Jun 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, very sharp.
Cons:
A tad noisy, and sometimes it tends to hunt for focus.

On my 1.6 body, I needed something wider than the 50mm 1.8, so I bought this little beauty. It's very sharp, and light. It provides something more closer to the 50mm lens, which is good for indoor shots. If I can afford it, one of these days I may upgrade it to a 35L, but It'll take a lot of convincing on the differences (aside from price) before I give up my 35 2.0
It's easier to tug around, than my 24-70, so I take it to functions and events.

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nle57 to your Buddy List
mad2

Registered: Mar 6, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredibly sharp when stopped down a little. Very compact and light weight. Good standard focal length with 1.6x crop factor.
Cons:
Buzzy auto focus, especially the first time you use it. Nothing else. Dated but in an 80's retro cool sort of way.

When I first used this lens, I was amazed at how Canon had managed to make it so noisy. I had known to expect it but was still surprised. What I'll also say is that, much like a ticking clock, you soon don't notice it, especially outdoors. Do not let it put you off buying one of these.

The virtues of this lens more than make up for the occasional buzz. It is small, light and cheap but is a real gem in terms of image quality, particularly its sharpness. F2 is good enough for indoor use without flash, anything above and is snaps into pin-sharpness.

It really is so good that you'll need something else pretty good to justify swapping lenses, even when a zoom is required. One reason not to bother is that it keeps your SLR about as light and compact as it can be and ideal for travelling.

It has become my walkabout lens on a 350D. If you require a zoom, you'll need a 17-40 F4L or 16-35 F2.8L to match or better this. Until you can afford one, use the foot zoom, it's more involving and kinda fun anyway.

If you were limited to just one lens, you'd have no complaint if it were this one. It opens up the possibility for everyone to own at least one good lens and shows just how bad the kit item is. Highly recommended.

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mad2 to your Buddy List
canonlight

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice maximum aperture, Very good sharpness wide open and excellent by f2.8, Small and lightweight, Fast and accurate AF, Minimum focusing distance a boon for up close and personal shots, Good price.
Cons:
Noisy "wasp in a matchbox" AF, Tends to hunt in low-light, MF ring very small, Build construction could be better, HOOD NOT INCLUDED (my gripe with Canon).
Feb 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonlight to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Feb 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast, sharp, accurate focus
Cons:
none within the limits of the lens

This lens is very sharp at all aperatures. Color and contrast are adequate wide open and geatly improve as the lens is stopped down. The auto focus is very accurate and usually a miss is my fault. At the price and weight of the lens everyone should have one stuffed in their bag. A favorite for indoor low light shooting at family get togethers.

Feb 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twistedlim to your Buddy List
Califfoto

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light lens, Excellent optical, takes great portraits and landscapes
Cons:

This is by far my favorite lens.
Although I am a little bit frustrated with the 1.6 conversion factor of my Canon 300D (which gives me a tighter field of ~ 56mm), I still use it a lot for my landscape shots: http://califoto.my-expressions.com/archives/2186_1665899495/97681

The f/2 aperture is quite bright and great for portraits

Overall, I use this lens each time I don't want to carry too much weight and still have the options to switch from one extreme (landscape) to another (close-up shots).

Here are other examples of Street Photography in Dominican Republic with this lens:

Dec 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Califfoto to your Buddy List
scooterzz

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great sharpness, inexpensive, good build.
Cons:
Would love to see USM on this lens. AF loud & obnoxious.

I use this as my primary lens. Brilliant sharpness & contrast, only softening just slightly wide-open.

I tested this lens carefully with a borrowed 35 f1.4L, and darned if I can see any difference in the resulting photos that's worth an extra grand. Stopped-down to f4 or so, I couldn't tell which lens produced which image.

The only thing to dislike is the "buzzing hornet" focus geartrain; this lens positively cries out for an update to USM.

Overall, this is pretty close to the best $200 I ever spent, photo-wise.

Dec 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scooterzz to your Buddy List
2bruce

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Dec 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $237.93 | Rating: 9

Pros: Works in low light very cheap to buy sharp nice colors about 50 mm scope on my digital rebel
Cons:
autofocus hunts sometimes in low light on my rebel

I love this lens takes great pictures is light and cheap at
$237 I am very happy with this lens and iis ability to take pictures in low light is great.

Dec 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 2bruce to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/2