Canon EF 35mm f/2

131 376888 Dec 21, 2016
8.8
ef35mmf2_1_

Fast 35mm wide-angle lens. With a minimum focusing distance of only 0.8 ft. (25cm), you can approach the subject closer and still obtain a more natural wide-angle effect. You can even obtain good background blur for portraits.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

Nimnar

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great value for money, sharp, fast, great colors. Lots of fun for a crop camera and a good wide prime on a 35mm frame.
Cons:
auto-focus is noisy, occasionally misses and is not quite USM quality. But it's really good overall.

This is a totally recommended lens. I've gotten some of my best candids of my kids and family using this lens. Definitely a lens for specific purposes (e.g. kids indoors). If you're looking for wide to medium prime this is a great one. Don't know about the 28mm f/1.8 but it's almost twice as much. Put the difference to a great zoom or the 85mm f/1.8. Happy shooting!!

Dec 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nimnar to your Buddy List
Geisterfahrer

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Dec 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp; lightweight; gives more than acceptable results when used wide open; accurate color rendition; great quality-price ratio
Cons:
AFD motor is not as fast as USM; noticeable vignetting until f/4

35mm is my favorite focal lenght, it is the one I find myself using most of the time. This lens does an excellent job in providing images while not costing you an arm and a leg.

The first, and best, feature of this lens is its sharpness. The detail resolution is simply amazing. Even when used wide open and with scarce available light, the lens manages to capture images which are more than adequate as far as technical quality is concerned. On a full frame camera the edges and corners begin to come out as sharp as the center at about f/4. Color rendition is accurate and does not sway on either the cool or the warm side. The lens is small, unobtrusive and weights a mere 210g.

The weaknesses of the lens are the old-style AFD autofocus system - accurate, but obviously not as fast as USM, while not being, to my ears, nowhere near as loud and annoying as other people seem to believe - and a noticeable vignetting at the widest apertures, until f/4.

However, given all the good points of the lens, and considering its price, I cannot but recommend this lens to anyone!

Dec 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Geisterfahrer to your Buddy List
boomzfoto

Registered: May 5, 2006
Review Date: Nov 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, light, fast, and extremely affordable.
Cons:
Focusing is little noisey (high pitch sound).

Very sharp even when wide open (f2.0). Focuses fast even without USM. Light weight. Great indoor lens on a 5D (both day and night). Colours are good. Almost distortion free images on a 5D. This has become my primary indoor lens for food photography in restaurants (candid reviews) where 99.99% of the time the lighting isn't exactly ideal. Before I got this I was using the 50 f1.8 (minimum FD too long and 50mm not wide enough to capture the whole room) and 17-40L f4.0 (too slow for under ISO400 use and not discrete enough) on a 5D. This 35mm f2.0 will replace both. It's perfect for my purpose. I should have purchased this a long time ago.

Nov 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add boomzfoto to your Buddy List
marcelo.h

Registered: Jun 3, 2006
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Aug 14, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $230.00

Pros: The best you can by for this price.
Cons:
Noise AF

Red... your peice surely is not representative. Bad quality control.

Aug 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marcelo.h to your Buddy List
RedRebel

Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: 35mm is usefull, litle barrel distortion, price
Cons:
Flare, CA, contrast, sharpness, focussing

Last year I bought the 350D together with a 17-85IS lens, which is quite a good general purpose combo. a few months ago I added the 35mm/2, because I wanted a faster lens for indoor use and creative shooting.

My opinion is quite negative, but it is my honest opinion about my copy of this lens:
- Very soft wide open and comparable with my 17-85 starting from f4, f5.6 etc...
- Lots of CA (purple fringing) when used wide open, which disapears mostly from f2.8, f3.5 etc...
- Very prone to flare, it shows up as lack of contrast
- Extreme lack of contrast as soon as an image is only 1 stop over exposed
- Focussing often hunts in less contrasty situations
- Focussing makes some noise, but thats only a small problem

In standard light conditions, this lens performs no better then my 17-85IS. In dark situations and using the larger apertures, it produces soft images. In more tricky light situations, this lens is close to unusable. Every time I pick up my 17-85IS lens in those *tricky* situations, it almost never lets me down, while this one is causing trouble time after time. Even an old 28-80 3.5-5.6 II lens performs more consistent.

If my copy is representative for this lens, I would not recomend it, especially when you are looking for quality at low f numers (f2 - f2.8).

Jul 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RedRebel to your Buddy List
marcelo.h

Registered: Jun 3, 2006
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Center and border sharpness. Good construction. Perfect size for my 350D.
Cons:
Noisy AF

I've been reserching for a better cost/benefit ratio lens, even after bought my one. No way... for a non L lens there is not alternative for this price. 28mm 2.8 EF is not so good. Sigma 30mm 1.8 is expensive and the Canon is at least so good. The L version 1.4... my God, too expensive.

I compare it with my Zuiko lenses... I am surprised! 35mm EF stands side-by-side in some situations. No mistakes!

Jul 15, 2006
JORDI350D

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $219.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ligth, very sharp, cheap= fantastic.
Cons:
Not FTM.

This is my favourite lens.
It is very sharp.
The minimal focus distance is only 0.23 and works fantastic for a flowers works and close up pics.
In resume a excellent lens for the price.
Very good standar lens for a 1.6 bodies.

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JORDI350D to your Buddy List
Sailaire

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light at 8 oz. Very sharp, well built, fast focus, great price, perfect normal lens on a 20D
Cons:
Many have mentioned the "hornet focus motor". Unless they have changed something mine is very quiet. Just received today.

My base line reference for this lens is not an "L" lens, so I rate the build and overall rating at 10. It's quieter and faster than my Sigma 50mm 1:1 macro and just as sharp. This is not in the same class as the 50mm 1.8 kit lens as some have stated. It's a lot better.

Very sharp, very fast focus, low light f2, low price. A winning combination for sure.

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sailaire to your Buddy List
mirages

Registered: Apr 3, 2006
Review Date: May 16, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: My second prime.
Cons:
Quality control issues.

Ordered my second prime (first being the 50mm 1.4). Though I thought the 5Omm focus ring felt grainy inside (it has since made up with photo quality), I have to say I was truely dismayed upon this lenses arrival. Though the build quality appeared good, right away I noticed the focus ring was just a spinning wheel, with no attachment to anything.

So, this has prompted me to now delve into the "L Order" (gak); a 35mm L is on the way from the same company. I don't blame them, just quality control. Maybe ordering in the midst of the rebate period is unwise - might be better to get with the program right away with the lenses that are already built.

With all the hype about the little 35, I was actually looking forward to using it. Now I will be likely be permanently spoiled; and not sure when or if I will ever use one. Already feels like a L bug bit me! I guess part of this post likely belongs on the 5O 1.4 board; as I use it more I will share there.

I am not rating this lens due to the fact that I got only one bad copy - perhaps just fate or random bad luck; I hope others who choose this lens have better! Happy Trails...

May 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mirages to your Buddy List
Taff Reardon

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, Light, Sharp, Great DOF at f2
Cons:

Just got this lens after selling my 17-85 IS. Also bought the 24 f2.8 and the 851.8 as well.

All I can say is Wow. Thats what sharp images with great contrast, colour and Bokeh are meant to look like.

Knocks the 17-85 into next week. Am I glad I decided to go for primes or what.

I see no need to look at L glass when I have lenses of this quality and price in my bag.

May 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Taff Reardon to your Buddy List
sangredetigre

Registered: May 1, 2006
Review Date: May 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value for money. Decent focusing speed, decent colour and contrast. Very compact & light.
Cons:
Not 'L' quality ?

May 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sangredetigre to your Buddy List
fredus

Registered: Feb 7, 2003
Review Date: Apr 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: One heck of a lens ! Sharp, contrasty, small, light, inexpensive. One of the best lens in the whole Canon Line up.
Cons:
I don't know ... Cheap construction ?

Every Canon owner should get this lens. Period. Here is a test shot:

http://www.400iso.com/photos/moustache.jpg .. Many other on my website.

Fred

Apr 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fredus to your Buddy List
flashbracket

Registered: Mar 4, 2006
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: light and sharp throughout.
Cons:
Some may complain about the auto-focus noise, but it does bother me.

I use this lense with the 5D, and I cannot see any softness at the edges. Being a keen landscape photographer, I often resort to MF, but sometimes AF - noise is not an issue for me.

What's important to me is the fact that it's a prime and primes are notoriously better than zooms, which this lense has proved to me time after time. Traditionally, Canon did not include a hood - good ol' Canon. They haven't the heart to change. Something tells me, however, that the L version is not going to give me much more at four times the price, but you get a free hood for the extra cost.

I am happy, very happy.

Here's a sample: http://www.pbase.com/flashbracket/image/58394132

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add flashbracket to your Buddy List
jhsymington

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 6, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap. Focusses quickly.
Cons:
Cheap. Buzzy focus. Not sharp in the corners.

I want to like this lens and perhaps I have been unlucky and picked up a bad one if such a thing exists. The reason I buy primes is to get better image quality than I would from zooms and most of the time that is the case.

However, although you would expect a certain amount of fuzziness wide open, at f8 and focussed at infinity you still get an unnaceptable degree of softness in the corners with this lens and so, for my purposes, this lens falls at the first hurdle.

I had hoped that at f8 this lens would outperform the 24-105mm at 35mm wide open and it doesn't. This is probably more of a testament to how good that zoom lens is though. But a medium wide angle prime should do better, even at the very low price of this lens, so I just couldn't recommend it.

I will need to try the 35mm L I suppose and just bite the bullet.

Apr 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jhsymington to your Buddy List
nle57

Registered: Jun 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, very sharp.
Cons:
A tad noisy, and sometimes it tends to hunt for focus.

On my 1.6 body, I needed something wider than the 50mm 1.8, so I bought this little beauty. It's very sharp, and light. It provides something more closer to the 50mm lens, which is good for indoor shots. If I can afford it, one of these days I may upgrade it to a 35L, but It'll take a lot of convincing on the differences (aside from price) before I give up my 35 2.0
It's easier to tug around, than my 24-70, so I take it to functions and events.

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nle57 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/2