Tamron 90MM F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 SP AF

53 195023 Jul 23, 2013
lens_1_

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

Tamron introduces a new version of the famous 90mm macro lens for film and digital photography. Tamron's 90mm macro lens, often referred to as "the portrait macro" and loved by photographers all over the world, is now reborn as a Di lens that is perfect for use with both film and digital cameras.

Model 272E
Minimum Focus 11.4in.(0.29m)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:1
Filter Diameter 55
Weight 405g (14.3oz)
Diameter x Length 2.8 x 3.8in.
(71.5 x 97mm)
Accessory Lens hood, Case
Mount Canon, Minolta-D, Nikon-D, Pentax

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

Eyal Friedman

Registered: Sep 23, 2006
Location: Israel
Review Date: Sep 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, even at 2.8, accurate AF, good colors. I use it for macro and portraits. IMO, the best macro lens around 100 FL
Cons:
Build quality is average

Sep 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eyal Friedman to your Buddy List
EOSshooter

Registered: Jul 4, 2006
Review Date: Jul 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, sharp, and nice bokeh.
Cons:
Cheap build quility, noisy motor, and extension during focus.

I have the older version (not the Di). Like many people said here, it is a good lens. Suitable for both macro and portrait work. Here is a sample of a picture taken by this little gem. http://static.flickr.com/70/165724574_7dd8457f72_o.jpg
Do some search in the web, your might find one at a good price.

Jul 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EOSshooter to your Buddy List
jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Jun 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp. Lots of very happy users. Nice and light. The carbon fiber build doesn't bother me as I have a $1000 lens made of it. Over all this is a great lens for the price. I bought none DI version and am very happy with it.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

I've had this lens for about a month and have taken several hundred images with it. I reviewed the Nikkor, the Sigma, and The Tamron. The reviews that I could find in magizines as well as the strong support for this lens on the various internet sites convinced me that the lens was fantastic opitcally and I saw no signs of anyone have mechanical problems with it.

I often use my pro level zoom and a prime telephoto with extension tubes and Canon 500D, and this lens matches those setups in quality.

It is my quick Macro option and I don't think that I will ware it out. I have several expensive lens in cabron fiber and I'm used to it by now, so that part of the build of the Tamron don't bother me.

If you are looking at a macro in the ninety to one hundred range, and you are more concerned about performance than brand name, you owe it to yourself to look at this lens.

I was lucky and found a LN- at KEH for 280 and think it was a great deal.

Jun 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List
MidasNick

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: May 2, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Very Sharp, excellent mf to Af switch
Cons:
Sometimes hunts, but not much of a problem

This is just a great lens, highly recommend it.
Super sharp lens, i decided to go for this in exchange to a Sigma lens on the highly recommend reveiws here.

May 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MidasNick to your Buddy List
MidasNick

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Review Date: May 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, surprisingly sharp on my D200
Cons:
sometimes slow to focus but the norm on macro lenses

I was going to purchase the Nikon 105mm but it was out of stock from where i buy from and then i was going to go for the Sigma 150mm which had good reviews from here but out of stock again so i just wanted to replace a lens i wasn't happy with and exchanged that lens for this.

I'm so happy i did, this lens just grows and grows on you. So sharp, almost too sharp on my Nikon but thats not a bad thing.

Highly recommend this lens for value and quality.

May 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MidasNick to your Buddy List
czech09

Registered: Nov 20, 2005
Review Date: Apr 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Sharpness
Cons:
Cleaning of front lens

This is my first macro lens, and I have to say it's amazing. I have the non-DI version and have been using it with a Rebel XT. It's a very sharp lens however with the massive extension to get to 1:1 it's sometimes hard to position it just right - I'm sure it's a big easier with a tripod. You really don't even need the hood that comes with it as the front lens is positioned very deep - this sort of poses problems with cleaning however it also prevents the lens getting dirty so I guess it's a fair compromise. I was very suprised at the photos it took when I wasn't shooting macros - they're very good as well. I don't think any other macro lens can beat it if one is looking to get a nice "bang for the buck" lens.

I highly recommend this lens, I'll post a link to some pictures I've taken with it once I get my site up.

Apr 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add czech09 to your Buddy List
KIMRAGONE

Registered: Dec 12, 2003
Review Date: Apr 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness
Cons:
Feels like a toy

I've had several copies of the Canon 100mm, both with and without USM, but none of them were able to amaze me the way the Tamron does. It is very sharp wide open, but stopped down 1 stop it will make your eyes bleed.
It also feels like it focuses more accurately than the Canon.
I must say I'm very impressed with this lens and will definately be watching for new Tamron products.

Apr 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KIMRAGONE to your Buddy List
pkis

Registered: Feb 11, 2006
Review Date: Mar 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superbly sharp, very light, MF ring is fabulous, works great with ring lights
Cons:
front lens hard to clean, build quality

I've owned this lens for about a month. I was looking for a high quality macro lens, offering life-size magnification that wouldn't get too heavy when used with a macro ring light. The Tamron definitely delivers - the image quality is simply superb. Perfectly sharp with great color accuracy, offering professional quality results.
The low weight comes at a price: the lens is essentially made of plastic - I definitely wouldn't wanna drop that one. The mount, however, is metal. Apart from the build quality, the lens doesn't have any major draw-backs but does come with two peculiarities one should consider before buying:

1. Its barrel extends massively when focussing. But those who plan on using a ring flash needn't worry: the filter thread doesn't turn. I use the lens in combination with a Sigma EM-140DG ring light and it works like a charm.

2. The front glass sits about an inch inside the barrel. This makes cleaning it very hard but at the same time also makes using a lens hood unnecessary. Dirt doesn't easily reach the front glass, either, so that's not a real problem.

All in all I'm extremely happy with this lens. Highly recommended!

Mar 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pkis to your Buddy List
panos.v

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, great colour, accurate AF, creamy bokeh, light, compact. Excellent MF ring. Good build quality. Good flare resistance.
Cons:
Noisy AF, extends to double its length.

I bought this purely because I found it for 190 in mint condition and wanted to try macro. Wow! This is a fantastic lens and has become my favourite lens! Very sharp even wide open, the colour is great, the bokeh is very beautiful and contrast is very good. The lens is small and light (same size as a Canon 85/1.8 but lighter).

The build quality is good, the MF ring is very smooth and silky and the lens feels solid, yet light.

The only complaints are that AF is slower than normal lenses but that is to be expected from a macro. With the AF limiter it is not that bad, but it hunts in low light more than normal lenses. It is also noisy when focusing. And it extends to almost double the length at 1:1.

But all these are minor problems and the AF is no worse than other macro lenses. In general, this lens is excellent. The image quality is really good and for the price, size and weight savings compared to own brand lenses, one really cannot complain. If you are looking for a ~100mm macro, this is the one to get. And it doubles as a nice portrait lens too!

Jan 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add panos.v to your Buddy List
form

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $439.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, excellent color, light weight, decent focus speed, functional limiter
Cons:
huge focus extension, focus mechanism sounds a bit flimsy

Really, really excellent, sharp edge to edge, as close to perfect color as I've seen. Haven't found any noticeable CA. I think it's become my new favorite lens. On the downside, I'm paranoid about sucking dust inside it, so I usually use a lenspen and cleaning rag on the tube (with obsessive care) before I retract it.

I now refer to this lens officially as my "hard-on macro."

Jan 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add form to your Buddy List
djm181

Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $487.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super sharp, nice MF/AF switch, deeply recessed front element
Cons:
Noisy slow AF, massive extension when focussing to 1:1

This lens feels nice on the body, it's nice and light. Although it is mainly plastic it does have a metal lens mount. It is very sharp, which makes manual focussing easy, even on a plain ground glass screen. The AF is not a lot of help for macro as it hunts a lot, but it works well at the long end - especially when the focus limiter is used to stop hunting too much.

Switching from AF to MF and back is accomplished by pulling and pushing the focus ring. I was skeptical of this arrangement at first but have grown to like it. You don't need to take your eye from the viewfinder and go searching for a tiny AF switch. The focus ring is nice and wide, smooth, and has a nice rubber grip.

The front element is so far recessed that the included lens hood is hardly necessary, which is great for macro work. The lens hood is still nice to have for portrait work though.

Overall, a great lens. The only thing that lets it down is the AF is loud and kind of rubbish.

Nov 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add djm181 to your Buddy List
deepakvrao

Registered: Apr 21, 2004
Location: India
Review Date: Oct 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super sharp, Not at all bad focus speed, Light weight, recessed front element
Cons:
No internal focusing, little plasticky [but I love the weight so what do you expect], working distance is a bit small for small bugs

Had the Sigma 150 2.8. Great lens, built like a tank, super sharp, internal focusing, HSM focus, better working distance BUT I sold that and bought the Tamron 90 2.8 for the following reasons

FINALLY decided against the 150 2.8 for following reasons.

Weight is 500g more and as I plan to add a flash bracket and flash etc total weight will be significant
DOF will be less because of increased Focal Length
8000/- more [Indian Rupees that is]
FL too long for portraits
Tamron has recessed lens so no need for using the hood. 150 has protruding lens so either a hood or a filter may be needed for some protection
I was VERY happy with my shots from the Tamron anyway
Aperture limited to f/22

The Tamron works GREAT as a portrait lens too

Oct 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add deepakvrao to your Buddy List
Canalman

Registered: Jul 24, 2005
Location: Panama
Review Date: Aug 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $429.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice feel, Smooth Manual Focus, Price, weight all...
Cons:
none so far, remember not a L lens or Nikkor len's but it is compared to them.

For the price and lightness it is very welcomed, was tired of using reverse lense's and loaned Macro manual lenses with adapter for my camera, my 24-135 gave me good shot's in Macro but not as near and real Macro as of the 90mm, I am a amateur but I learn fast and this len's worth the money spent for, photos are sharp, my first lens with F/2.8 and it is very good indoors for portraits, go ahead take a chance and you will not regret it.

Aug 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canalman to your Buddy List
GreenCountry

Registered: May 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Lightweight, portable, sharp, ability to limit focus to macro *or* normal, recessed front element...
Cons:
QC!

Dang, where's Tamron Quality Control? After a few fleeting minutes on my camera, during which I managed a couple beautiful test shots, the lens CPU bit the dust and my camera no longer recognized the lens. It would work in full manual mode, but that's it. I returned it.

Jul 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GreenCountry to your Buddy List
onurka

Registered: Jan 22, 2005
Location: Turkey
Review Date: May 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Unbelieveably sharp :), a nice 90mm prime f/2.8 lens, accurate colors. Performance/price ratio.
Cons:
AF is a problem especially at low light.

Sharpest and the most accurate colored lens that I have. Its only problem is AF speed but this is not worse than its competitors (Nikon 105mm macro& Sigma 105mm macro) My opinion is that this is the best choice among these three lenses.

May 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add onurka to your Buddy List
jaapv

Registered: Jun 9, 2004
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A great lens for a very reasonable price.
Cons:
I wouldn't know.

The reviews claim this lens produces 97 % of the quality of the Leica R apo-macro 100 2.8 As far as I can tell, they are right. The optical quality is excellent and the build feels really solid.AF is fast and reasonably silent. Recommended!

The picture over the review is of an older version. The current one looks far better.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jaapv to your Buddy List

Tamron 90MM F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 SP AF