Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 254302 May 2, 2012
8.7
2875mm

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your
photographic horizons.

Model A09
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 14/16
Angle of View 75-32
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus 0.33m (13") (entire zoom range)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
Filter Diameter 67
Mount Canon, Minolta, Nikon-D, Pentax

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

Allen Maestas

Registered: Feb 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:
Nothing

I have not owned anything except Canon L or very close to Canon L so I was very skeptical when I purchased this Tamron lens. I mean it's 3 times less expensive than the Canon 24-70mm L for goodness sakes. I could by two more Tamrons for backup for the price of one Canon!

Well let me tell you, I was worried that I would be disappointed when the Tamron arrived. Boy was I wrong! The Tamron is well built and feels great in my hand. It's so small and light, yet well balanced and rugged feeling! The AF is a little louder than I'm used to, but it's very fast and has no trouble finding what you want to focus on. The zoom feels good with a nice firm feel as well as the manual focus. The photos are where this lens really sings. Crisp sharp shots with fantastic bokeh at all focal lengths wide open or not.

In conclusion this is a fantastic buy, you just can't go wrong for the money on this one, it's a winner.

Al

Oct 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Allen Maestas to your Buddy List
btchrist

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $349.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Fast, Sharp
Cons:
nothing really, I don't think I would consider a canon to upgrade this

All around, a very good lens, perfect for your first lens for a digital body.
Inexspensive, yet quick with a refreshingly sharp image. I'm very impressed with this tamron lens.

Sep 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btchrist to your Buddy List
zakazmi

Registered: Jun 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything
Cons:
not L

very good performance at 28mm @ f2.8. steal of a price for the quality it offers. focus ring moves the opposite way, but then that doesn't really bother me.

the only thing is that even though the is built very good, however i am more used to the canon feel, but this is me being picky, comparing this with canon L glass in build quality. Optically this is very good for me.

prior to buying this i was looking for 24-70L, now i am not. but maybe that is just me and others might disagree with me.
definately a keeper.

Sep 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zakazmi to your Buddy List
vabra

Registered: Jan 23, 2005
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $370.00

Pros: After received back from Tamron US recalibration, the problems solved.
Cons:

First tests after recalibration showed very good sharpness even fully open. Maybe only slightly worse on the "tele" end then in the wide. My current rating will be 8...

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vabra to your Buddy List
ocases

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, lightweight, fast focusing, counterpart with the canon L lens.
Cons:
lenshood is too small. plastic barrel

I just got this lens today and compared the sharpness, color and contrast with my EF 24-70mm L lens. My results was extremely amazing the sharpness of this lens is extraordinary, it surpasses the sharpness of my 24-70mm lens. I would highly recommended to try this lens and make you own conclusion.

Aug 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ocases to your Buddy List
Boddu

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: Jul 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great price. Very sharp results.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

Excellent lens. Have been very happy with the results. Tested out my friends Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L lens and compared the results with my Tamron. Atleast for my tests, I was happier with the Tamron results. At this price this lens is a steal. This lens stays on my Canon Digital Rebel XT about 90% of the time.

Jul 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Boddu to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price compared to Canon equivalents, L-like image quality, small, very light, constant f2.8, long warranty.
Cons:
Zoom ring turns the wrong way :-) lol . Tamron Quality Control. Future compatability with other Canon bodies concerns me but not too much at this price :-)

I had to send my copy to be calibrated (it had softness and focus issues) but it came back in perfect working order for my Canon 20D. At f2.8 it was near enough 100% sharp. Focussing at all focus points and apertures is spot on. Colours are fantastic.

Focussing is not as fast as Canon USM but its a case of milliseconds. Zoom ring turns the opposite way to all my other zooms which was strange at first.

Only once had a problem with low light focus hunting (it was near enough pitch black apart from a spot light though).

At 1/3 of the price of the Canon 24-70L this lens is truly a bargain. In my mind, it was worth the postage costs to get it recalibrated (same copy sent back twice). Only my primes beat this lens for sharpness, colour, contrast. I have shot with this lens with and without filters (for lens protection only) - all images have been great.

Proud that my last set of shots with this lens outshone those of photographers shooting with the Canon 24-70L + 1 series bodies at a music festival. Pictures were printed at A3 paper size and still looked great. Client's printers interpolated them and printed them at A1 poster size to great effect.

I am only slightly concerned that this lens may not be compatible with other Canon bodies as is i.e. it will probably have to go back to dealer for recalibration - might not be able to simply switch lens to another body. But hey its a third party lens and again at this price, it is not too much of an issue.

Highly recommended lens but make sure you check you suppliers return policy and make contact with an authorised warranty repair place BEFORE buying. Had this lens for a while now and sold my equivalent Canon lens as they were collecting dusts thanks to this beauty of a lens.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzy17 to your Buddy List
smaniscalco

Registered: Dec 11, 2003
Review Date: Jun 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant f2.8. Size/weight. Included hood. Nice "pinch" lens cap. Sharp. Close focus.
Cons:
24mm would be nice.

I bought this after comparing it to the Sigma 24-70. The Tamron won on ergonomics and convenience. I'm happy to say that the images have not disappointed me.
The focus is fast enough and not too loud for my taste.
I find the images adequately sharp wide open and improved by stopping down.
The close focus capability is nice.
Focus speed and accuracy and image quality are all steps up from the Sigma 18-125 I gave up. The trade off has been worth the loss of range.
I'm not a pro and I can't justify the Canon L glass equivalent. With this lens, I don't feel like I've given up all that much.

Jun 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smaniscalco to your Buddy List
Hava

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: fast, size, sharp, accurate focus on my 20D
Cons:
Blueish color, rotating focus ring in AF

Picked this up recently. I originally had set my mind on th e24-70 of Sigma, but after waiting forever for a delivery I just canceled and got this Tamron. No regrets here:

The lens is very sharp at the long end, even at f2.8. At 28 mm I need to stop it down to f4 for good sharpness. I don't see this as a big issue since I typically can trade in some shutter speed for aperture at the wide end.

When comparing this lens to the other ones I have (18-55 kitlens and 70-200L/f4) it stands out in AF reliabilty and accuracy. The succeserate at f2.8 of getting the focus right where I want is is higher than with the other two.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the blue-ish color images seem to get. Nothing that postprocessing cannot take care of, but surpising to me none the less.

Overall, I'm a happy little camper with this baby.

Jun 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hava to your Buddy List
Andythaler

Registered: Jun 14, 2004
Review Date: Jun 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: - Very good bokeh - very sharp at f/2.8, tack sharp from f/3.5 onwards - constant f/2.8 - lens hood included - 67 mm filters (same as 70-200/4.0)
Cons:

NOTE: THIS IS THE SAME LENS AS THE 'OTHER' TAMRON 28-75/2.8 XR DI.
THERE IS ONLY ONE MODEL AVAILABLE.

VERY GOOD BOKEH (important for portraits), better than Sigma and Tokina 24-70/2.8 lenses from the comparison images I have seen. A LOT better than EF 50/1.8!
My copy is very sharp at f/2.8, and tack sharp from f/3.5 onwards.
(Tack sharp means sharp when viewed at 100% crop on my 20D images without USM.)
Very light and small for a constant f/2.8 lens, the lens hood is included.
'Pinch style' Lens cap can be opened and closed with mounted lens hood without breaking your fingers.

Jun 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andythaler to your Buddy List
Chris39

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Jun 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Accurate AF, good contrast, reasonalbe CA
Cons:
Tamron color, 67mm filter

Compare to Canon 24-70 f2.8 (Canon)Tamron is a winner for his accurate AF, price and CA controlling. For color and contrast Canon is better. When wide open the peripheral area lack of sharpness but is is common even for Canon. So after trying Canon first I would accept this. I found better AF accuracy compared with Canon. The reason maybe it is designed later than Canon so more compatable with new canon bodies.

The weak point of this lens is its color. It could be explained by the price difference. Also it is not weather proof. I did not find MTF of Tamron lens, which makes me a little bit concern about its resolution.

For f2.8 this lens is a good choice. I would suggest try custom WB when you shoot with this lens.

Jun 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chris39 to your Buddy List
Ostwind

Registered: Apr 23, 2004
Review Date: Jun 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp overall, great close-up performance, fast, easy to focus, great flare reduction. I think it is a real bargain, a great performance/cost ratio!
Cons:
None really. Minor points: no USM, but the autofocus is fast and reasonably quiet. Yes the focus ring goes the "wrong" way.

I use it on digital and film Canon bodies.

Jun 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ostwind to your Buddy List
RCicala

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $335.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, inexpensive, sharp, fast - what's not to like?
Cons:
backwards zoom ring

Easy to carry, fast and very sharp. Autofocus is accurate, if its slow I haven't noticed it. Great images - sharp even wide open with good color. Manual focus works well once you get used to the reverse ring.

Apr 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RCicala to your Buddy List
luciora

Registered: Apr 11, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, light, fast. no vignetting, distorsion, chromatic abberations even wide open. quite affordable, too.
Cons:
no usm, starts at 28mm.

now THIS is a great lens. when i bought this i sold 2 of my primes and the sigma 18-125 because the little tamron here is faster, lighter and sharper than all the other lenses i've had. okay, it's not an 'L', but it's quite cheap - i paid ~350 for it, brand new.

Apr 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add luciora to your Buddy List
vabra

Registered: Jan 23, 2005
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Apr 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: None for the piece I get from Adorama
Cons:
Significantly softer then the cheapest Canon kit lens

Based on the excelent reviews across the net I decided for that lens. Unfortunately the Qality Control of Tamron clearly failed. The pictures in all apertures are significantly worse then from the $60 Canon kit lens. Hardly usable for the speed above F16. Unfortunately I bought it in during my brothers visit of US (using him as "messenger" - I'm living at the middle of Europe - Prague) so the return/fix process will be more complicated, if possible.
European Tamron headqurter, where I send the mail asking fix is not answering. Any hint? Please mail me to pva(at)centrum(dot)cz

Apr 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vabra to your Buddy List
horriss

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Apr 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, 2.8, size
Cons:
zoom ring goes the wrong way!

Hard to fault, really. Yes, the focus is a bit slower and a bit louder than the canon USM, but only a bit. No, its not an L quality build, but its one of the best non L lenses I've used (better than the non L canon stuff I've got). The image quality is really, really good. Its sharp right down to 2.8.

If only the zoom ring went the same way as my L's it would be perfect for a non-city walkabout lens (not quite wide enough for cityscapes or landscapes)

pleasantly surprised and its not going back!

Apr 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add horriss to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 254302 May 2, 2012