Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 250033 May 2, 2012
8.8
2875mm

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your
photographic horizons.

Model A09
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 14/16
Angle of View 75-32
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus 0.33m (13") (entire zoom range)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
Filter Diameter 67

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

miccos

Registered: Dec 10, 2004
Review Date: Nov 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Value, quality, constant 2.8, remarkably sharp right through
Cons:
For the sake of naming a con, it could be sharper wide open

I had L fever until my wallet and my eyes experienced this lens. I simply cannot complain about results, it's an absolutely terrific lens. The build quality is surprisingly good, and it balances beautifully on the 20D.

I find few situations where I need to take it off the camera, fantastic overall.

Nov 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miccos to your Buddy List
dronell19

Registered: Oct 14, 2005
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, good contrast, crisp picture quality, lens hood
Cons:
AF not quite perfect, need more width

Probably too early for me to write anything, but I took a few shots at the store and uploaded them onto their computer. Next thing I know my debit card was out of my wallet.

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dronell19 to your Buddy List
ichsan

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Oct 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, weight, size, solid built, zoom lock.
Cons:
no weather sealing, no FTM

Just got it, I'm very pleased with the result of my shots, its sharp, nice contrast and nice color. Built quality is good, very light for a 2.8. The lens hood reversed protect my finger from touching the AF ring. Perfect lens for traveling. I wish it has weather sealing and has a FTM.

I was offered to buy a 2nd 24-70L but after sometimes holding it with 580EX on my 20D, my hand needs a massage. :-(

Summary:
Excellent Picture, good for my wallet and no sore hand.

Oct 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ichsan to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, sharpness, everything!
Cons:
None I can think of!

Fantastic lens. Only wish it had internal zoom, but it's a minor complaint.
Sharp as a tack, built well, focuses fast.
No comparison for price vs Canon!

Oct 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
dickie

Registered: Oct 5, 2004
Review Date: Oct 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice contrast and colors, and light.
Cons:
Focusing could be a bit faster and could be internal.

Great little zoom lens from Tamron with constant f2.8 thoughout the zoom range. I love the shots I have been getting with this lens and I have to say once it is on the camera it is hard to find a reason to take off. Totally recommended.

Oct 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dickie to your Buddy List
bobphilly

Registered: Dec 25, 2003
Review Date: Oct 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: In (Image quality) the Canon 24-70L is NOT better than the Tamron 28-75 2.8 Di lens in my opinion. If you do your homework, look up both reviews on Popular Photography (popphoto.com) website under (Lens test archives) and look at the lens test charts and compare, and if that does not satisfy you, buy one and compare it yourself. The Canon might feel smoother or built better BUT if you are looking for (image quality) which I put as the number ONE thing before everything, you have to choose the Tamron over the Canon. If you are worried about the lens breaking for any reason, don't worry, you can buy 3 more for the price of the canon at 1200.00. Don't knock the tamron if you haven't done a side by side comparison, trust me you will be shocked! Buy the Canon if you absolutely need the lens to be silent and your looking for an above quality built lens. (I'm not saying the Tamron is not a quality lens either). Don't buy the canon for 1200.00 because of peer pressure, or (meaning everyone will not look up to you if you don't have a Canon). Don't worry, wait until they see your prints!!! That will keep them quiet. P.S. Please don't think I can't afford the Canon either. I Can. I just cant justify the price.

Oct 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bobphilly to your Buddy List
Allen Maestas

Registered: Feb 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:
Nothing

I have not owned anything except Canon L or very close to Canon L so I was very skeptical when I purchased this Tamron lens. I mean it's 3 times less expensive than the Canon 24-70mm L for goodness sakes. I could by two more Tamrons for backup for the price of one Canon!

Well let me tell you, I was worried that I would be disappointed when the Tamron arrived. Boy was I wrong! The Tamron is well built and feels great in my hand. It's so small and light, yet well balanced and rugged feeling! The AF is a little louder than I'm used to, but it's very fast and has no trouble finding what you want to focus on. The zoom feels good with a nice firm feel as well as the manual focus. The photos are where this lens really sings. Crisp sharp shots with fantastic bokeh at all focal lengths wide open or not.

In conclusion this is a fantastic buy, you just can't go wrong for the money on this one, it's a winner.

Al

Oct 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Allen Maestas to your Buddy List
btchrist

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $349.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Fast, Sharp
Cons:
nothing really, I don't think I would consider a canon to upgrade this

All around, a very good lens, perfect for your first lens for a digital body.
Inexspensive, yet quick with a refreshingly sharp image. I'm very impressed with this tamron lens.

Sep 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btchrist to your Buddy List
zakazmi

Registered: Jun 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: everything
Cons:
not L

very good performance at 28mm @ f2.8. steal of a price for the quality it offers. focus ring moves the opposite way, but then that doesn't really bother me.

the only thing is that even though the is built very good, however i am more used to the canon feel, but this is me being picky, comparing this with canon L glass in build quality. Optically this is very good for me.

prior to buying this i was looking for 24-70L, now i am not. but maybe that is just me and others might disagree with me.
definately a keeper.

Sep 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zakazmi to your Buddy List
vabra

Registered: Jan 23, 2005
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $370.00

Pros: After received back from Tamron US recalibration, the problems solved.
Cons:

First tests after recalibration showed very good sharpness even fully open. Maybe only slightly worse on the "tele" end then in the wide. My current rating will be 8...

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vabra to your Buddy List
ocases

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, lightweight, fast focusing, counterpart with the canon L lens.
Cons:
lenshood is too small. plastic barrel

I just got this lens today and compared the sharpness, color and contrast with my EF 24-70mm L lens. My results was extremely amazing the sharpness of this lens is extraordinary, it surpasses the sharpness of my 24-70mm lens. I would highly recommended to try this lens and make you own conclusion.

Aug 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ocases to your Buddy List
Boddu

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: Jul 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great price. Very sharp results.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

Excellent lens. Have been very happy with the results. Tested out my friends Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L lens and compared the results with my Tamron. Atleast for my tests, I was happier with the Tamron results. At this price this lens is a steal. This lens stays on my Canon Digital Rebel XT about 90% of the time.

Jul 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Boddu to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price compared to Canon equivalents, L-like image quality, small, very light, constant f2.8, long warranty.
Cons:
Zoom ring turns the wrong way :-) lol . Tamron Quality Control. Future compatability with other Canon bodies concerns me but not too much at this price :-)

I had to send my copy to be calibrated (it had softness and focus issues) but it came back in perfect working order for my Canon 20D. At f2.8 it was near enough 100% sharp. Focussing at all focus points and apertures is spot on. Colours are fantastic.

Focussing is not as fast as Canon USM but its a case of milliseconds. Zoom ring turns the opposite way to all my other zooms which was strange at first.

Only once had a problem with low light focus hunting (it was near enough pitch black apart from a spot light though).

At 1/3 of the price of the Canon 24-70L this lens is truly a bargain. In my mind, it was worth the postage costs to get it recalibrated (same copy sent back twice). Only my primes beat this lens for sharpness, colour, contrast. I have shot with this lens with and without filters (for lens protection only) - all images have been great.

Proud that my last set of shots with this lens outshone those of photographers shooting with the Canon 24-70L + 1 series bodies at a music festival. Pictures were printed at A3 paper size and still looked great. Client's printers interpolated them and printed them at A1 poster size to great effect.

I am only slightly concerned that this lens may not be compatible with other Canon bodies as is i.e. it will probably have to go back to dealer for recalibration - might not be able to simply switch lens to another body. But hey its a third party lens and again at this price, it is not too much of an issue.

Highly recommended lens but make sure you check you suppliers return policy and make contact with an authorised warranty repair place BEFORE buying. Had this lens for a while now and sold my equivalent Canon lens as they were collecting dusts thanks to this beauty of a lens.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzy17 to your Buddy List
smaniscalco

Registered: Dec 11, 2003
Review Date: Jun 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant f2.8. Size/weight. Included hood. Nice "pinch" lens cap. Sharp. Close focus.
Cons:
24mm would be nice.

I bought this after comparing it to the Sigma 24-70. The Tamron won on ergonomics and convenience. I'm happy to say that the images have not disappointed me.
The focus is fast enough and not too loud for my taste.
I find the images adequately sharp wide open and improved by stopping down.
The close focus capability is nice.
Focus speed and accuracy and image quality are all steps up from the Sigma 18-125 I gave up. The trade off has been worth the loss of range.
I'm not a pro and I can't justify the Canon L glass equivalent. With this lens, I don't feel like I've given up all that much.

Jun 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smaniscalco to your Buddy List
Hava

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: fast, size, sharp, accurate focus on my 20D
Cons:
Blueish color, rotating focus ring in AF

Picked this up recently. I originally had set my mind on th e24-70 of Sigma, but after waiting forever for a delivery I just canceled and got this Tamron. No regrets here:

The lens is very sharp at the long end, even at f2.8. At 28 mm I need to stop it down to f4 for good sharpness. I don't see this as a big issue since I typically can trade in some shutter speed for aperture at the wide end.

When comparing this lens to the other ones I have (18-55 kitlens and 70-200L/f4) it stands out in AF reliabilty and accuracy. The succeserate at f2.8 of getting the focus right where I want is is higher than with the other two.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the blue-ish color images seem to get. Nothing that postprocessing cannot take care of, but surpising to me none the less.

Overall, I'm a happy little camper with this baby.

Jun 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hava to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 250033 May 2, 2012