Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 250204 May 2, 2012
8.8
2875mm

Di: Digitally Integrated Design, is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical systems designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your
photographic horizons.

Model A09
Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 14/16
Angle of View 75-32
Type of Zooming Rotation
Diaphragm Blade Number 7
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus 0.33m (13") (entire zoom range)
Macro Mag. Ratio 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
Filter Diameter 67

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9  next

daliangr

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Greece
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp,image guality,very good color in daylight,fast af,light weight,value for money
Cons:
some chromatic aberration indoor to my NIKON D50,warmer than natural

Oct 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add daliangr to your Buddy List
Crazy Fool

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Oct 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp wide open, contrasty, accurate focus on 10D
Cons:
Zoom ring isn't dampened

Like many people I have been searching for an outstanding standard zoom, and at last -slight handling niggles aside- I think I have found my favourite.

This lens is so sharp wide open, I never believed it could be so good. Nevertheless, this wasn't my first choice.

I tried three Sigma 24-60s before I got this, and all of them front-focused so that when I focused on eyes, all I got was a sharp nose! I had really wanted the 24mm wide end but I couldn't use a front-focusing lens. Reluctantly I returned the last Sigma 24-60, and asked to try a Tamron 28-75...

After a few test shots I was sold! Reliable autofocusing and sharpness (on the first sample I tried!) trumped all the Sigmas.

I'm really enjoying this lens now. Its great to be able to blur backgrounds properly, and not compromise on sharpness. Bokeh seems quite nice, better than my Canon 50mm Mk2.

The size and weight are good. In fact, it looks quite small on my 10D! I don't like the build or handling as much as the Sigmas, but neither are that bad really all things considered. I don't like the 'feel' of the zoom ring, but focusing is fast and image quality is first rate, so I'll try to ignore it!

I will miss the 24mm wide end of my 24-85usm, but not that much. I have an excellent Sigma 10-20 for wide angles anyway (thankfully with no focus issues!).

In summary, I would recommend this lens to anyone who wants possibly the sharpest f2.8 standard zoom available, but who doesn't mind slight handling imperfections!

Oct 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Crazy Fool to your Buddy List
bobbybrown

Registered: Dec 12, 2004
Review Date: Sep 25, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: very good image quality from f4 upwards. decent at f2.8. fortunately, glass quality is similar to those made in japan. decent tele range for most jobs but you may need to bring a 135-200 range lense just in case.
Cons:
zoom creeps on newer Chinese models. older Japanese models have a lot of grease so the zoom lock is practically redundant.

This is my second one as the first got nicked by Thailand airport baggage SOBs. Its a new chinese model and feels very different, zooming is now looser with less grease inside, the lense feels a little lighter, and possibly less well put together. However, quality is still decent especially between f4-f8. Very useful f2.8 for dim light and OOF effects. Will be on camera most of the time except for ultrawide and telephotos.

Sep 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bobbybrown to your Buddy List
artemisphoto

Registered: Mar 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality on par with Canon 24-70L + lighter and smaller too.
Cons:
None for $300.

Like others have said, it is an excellent alternative to the much more expensive Canon. The build quality is not on par with Canon L, but still good for $300. On the positive side, it is lighter and handles better than the Canon 24-70 on a Camera like the 20D or 30D.

Sep 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add artemisphoto to your Buddy List
pictrthis

Registered: Feb 9, 2006
Review Date: Jul 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $305.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Awesome for the money!!!
Cons:
build quality could use a little improvement but not complaining!

Can't beat the amazing quality for the money. A must have if you're on a little bit of a budget like me. Go get one if you're thinking about it.

Jul 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pictrthis to your Buddy List
TWong1200

Registered: Feb 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $265.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: f/2.8 at all focal lengths, sharp lens
Cons:
non HSM.

Really excellent lens, for the money. Great value and is "L" quality, IMO. I wish it had HSM but still focuses fairly fast for not having it. Great bang for the buck. I love f/2.8 at all focal lengths.

Jul 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TWong1200 to your Buddy List
hedredm

Registered: Dec 31, 2004
Review Date: Jun 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good sharpness at all apertures, good AF, not too heavy, internal focusing
Cons:
Focus ring is too "short", barrel extends when zooming

I was a little apprehensive about buying this lens after reading posts about the QA problems that people have experienced, but Im glad I got it. Ive had it for about 3 months, and have had no problems with it. Auto focus is right on, and the sharpness is good even wide open.

Jun 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hedredm to your Buddy List
open81

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Jun 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price/Value ratio, size, weight.
Cons:
Moderate CA, AF hunts in low contrast areas.

I've tested this lens against a 24-70L, 35L, 50/1.8 and a 70-200/2.8L.

Tamron beats the 24-70L at 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 70mm in the center. In the corners, they are neck-to-neck. The Tamron is more contrasty but also shows more CA.

Against the 35L, the Tamron loses in both in the center and corners, but only by a hair.

The 50/1.8 beats the Tamron in both the center and corners. Ditto for the 70-200/2.8L.

The surprise here is the poor performance of the 35L, but maybe I have a bad copy. Anyway, for around $400 (got mine at a local store) the Tamron does not disappoint at all. It may not have the solid build of the 24-70L, but it is more than good enough for everyday use. I've noticed that the AF hunts more than the L lenses, but this shouldn't be a problem if there's more contrastly areas nearby. The same could be said about the CA issue, which can be easily corrected in PP.

So, all in all, if you're looking for a fast yet light walk-around zoom that doesn't give up image quality to lenses 3x its price, you can't go wrong with the Tamron 28-75.

Jun 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add open81 to your Buddy List
gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: - Very sharp lens, continues to amaze me - Value for the money
Cons:
Build qaulity not up to par with the best Canon lenses (can't have everything)

This is my second review of this lens, the first was posted soon after I bought it. Having given it some use since then, I feel compelled to come back here to tell everyone what a great lens this is. I take a fair amount of flower shots. When I put this lens on a tripod and stop it down to f/11 or f/16, the results are stunning. Don't get me wrong, it's extremely sharp at anything smaller than f/2.8, but I need depth of field so I'm frequently shooting at smaller apertures. I leave it to the professional reviewers to make comparisons to Canon's L lenses, all I can say is that this lens will knock your socks off without mugging your wallet.

May 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
CGrindahl

Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Review Date: May 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $309.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fine sharpness, fast, accurate focusing, good color and contrast, constant f/2.8, exceptional price/quality ratio, good size, excellent range for walking around on a cropped camera
Cons:
Movement while focusing can be distracting at first, but one gets used to it.

I likely own the most expensive copy of this well regarded lens due to the fact I dropped it on the pavement and ended up paying almost as much to repair it as I paid when I bought it new. Since it was my favorite walk around lens on a cropped Canon DSLR, it made sense for me to repair it. Happily, it came back in perfect condition with performance that remarkably seemed even better than when new. I assumed the calibration they did after reassembling the lens was spot on. Perhaps they figured it was the least they could do considering my investment in the lens...

I bought the lens based on fine reviews and the recommendation of a local salesman after the arrival of two L lenses ruined my tolerance for soft lenses like the Canon 28-135 IS I owned at the time. The Tamron proved to be a significant upgrade and I happily used it first on the Digital Rebel and then on a 20D. When I bought a 5D this spring I anticipated the loss of cropping on a full-frame camera, as well as the demand such a camera places on lenses, that the Tamron would need to be replaced. My concern over range proved justified, but what amazed me was the outstanding performance this lens offers on the 5D. The images are remarkably crisp and beautifully colored. I loved the honest width at 28mm even while I missed the length at 75mm, which was no longer cropped to 120mm.

I'm still looking for a walk around lens with a bit longer range, but I've yet to find a lens that holds up to this particular Tamron. Frankly, the thought of spending over a thousand dollars for the Canon 24-105 f/4L IS to gain 30 mm on the Tamron seems an unnecessary extravagance. I don't know how my lens alignment will be modified as I work more with the 5D, but it is hard to imagine that this Tamron will not remain in my kit. It is that good!

May 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CGrindahl to your Buddy List
jflame

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: May 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, constant 2.8 apature, light weight, and inexpencive
Cons:
focus ring spins during AF (not a big deal), AF is a little loud

I love this lens! Its on my camera about 90% of the time. It is a little soft at f2.8, but very sharp at f4 and up. A little USM and f2.8 is very usable. The focal length (44-120mm on a 1.6 camera) is great for a walk around lens and is perfect portraits too. I can't stress how great this lens is. The best $350 I have spent. Highly recommended!

May 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jflame to your Buddy List
timbop

Registered: Dec 29, 2005
Review Date: Apr 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp + reliable + fast + inexpensive= excellent value
Cons:
A little soft below f/4, but still very acceptable

I have been using this little gem for 4 months now, and I have to say it is an excellent value. Before purchasing it I read many reviews that mentioned concerns about quality concerns, and that you have to "watch out" for bad copies. In response to that, I bought the in-store demo copy to be sure I was "getting a good one". After using it 90% of the time with absolutely no focusing issues, I started wondering about the true percentage of "bad" copies that are out there. After going back and reading many reviews I noticed an interesting pattern: most of the reviewers mention that their copy was great but you have to watch out for a bad one. Interesting. To be certain, some have had problems with focusing issues (which Tamron does resolve BTW)- but in most of the reviews that advise caution there was nothing wrong with the owner's copy.

My personal experience has been that this lens is an overall superb performer:

- Using it at f/4 images are tack sharp with nice contrast and good bokeh. I compared it to shots from a 17-40L I borrowed and the L glass at f/4 was not as sharp

- color, contrast, and bokeh are nice

- On a 20D I have no problem taking stop action indoor sports shots

- As a general walking around lens it just shines, provided you can back up some for architecture shots

- It is a little soft below f/4, but that just makes it absolutely perfect for portraits

- The center pinch cap is a nice touch, allowing removal of the lens cap with the hood in place

It balances very nicely on a 300D and 20D, and in general gives me almost everything I would need. For wide landscapes it is a little too narrow, but any 28mm lens would be!

Apr 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add timbop to your Buddy List
peterlemon

Registered: Apr 2, 2006
Review Date: Apr 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great balance on D70 not too heavy but build is good, sharp, consistent results, good contrast. f2.8 throughout the zoom.
Cons:
None yet. Maybe the range because it only starts at 28mm but I knew that when I bought it - I'll keep an eye out for the forthcoming 17-50 f2.8

While I can't afford and have never used "pro" glass such as Nikon's 17-55 and so I can't compare, I have to say that both Tamron lenses that I own (I've also got the 11-18 as well as this 28-75) are excellent. A good balance between quality and weight and both give superb results. I've read that people have had issues with getting "bad" copies of this lens but I have to say based on my previous experience with Tamron I will be looking forward to seeing a few reviews on the upcomng 17-50 f2.8 as this will complete a nice little range of lenses for a reasonable price.

The lens feels nice and "tight" which I prefer to my Nikon 18-70 which is a bit sloppy (admitedly it's 2 years old, the Tamron will probably loosen up a little). Autofocus is quick even if not "HSM", there is a zoom lock, manual focus is easy and accurate, colours are punchy, good contrast and of course f2.8 through the range. If I had all my gear stolen in one go and needed to go shooting tomorrow I would have no hesitation in going buying another one of these.

Apr 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peterlemon to your Buddy List
ocsurfer

Registered: Sep 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: optics, price
Cons:
build

The build quality is a bit lacking, but not terrible. The price is right and the optics are superb. I am not sure why people are too upset about the focusing issues, just send it in to Tamron and it will come back better then ever. This may not be an L glass in build quality, but optically it is darn close!

Mar 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ocsurfer to your Buddy List
Canonised

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Mar 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, useful range including macro capability for general photography, f2.8 through range is a feature not found in most zooms. Quality of output is good to outstanding.
Cons:
Lousy back cap that comes loose, noisy focussing, focus ring moves during AF, overal build can be better but still good for the price.

I have this lens for about two weeks and have been using it everyday. Wanted to acquire this lens for sometime since I tried the Canon L 24-70mm. I did not want that lens for its size and weight and knew that this Tamron existed. Was willing to bet on this lens to see if it come up to my hopeful expectation. It has. The lens has been faithfully good for difficult shots in bad lighting. The f2.8 is proving to be a real winner for me so far. On my 20D it becomes a standard 50mm to telephoto range. This focal range is most useful for photojournalism and portraiture.

My immediate grouses is the noisy focussing (which I am fine with really), moving focussing ring (which is a bit of a bother as the ring must not be obstructed when focussing or it will potentially burn out the motor). The awful back lens cover which is a pain to use when trying to change lens.

Will submit another review in 6 months when I have stretched the legs on this lens. Thanks for reading.

Mar 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Canonised to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

121 250204 May 2, 2012