Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF 193

29 104859 Apr 20, 2014
7.8
af193

The value and performance of this wide-angle lens soars to new heights. Landscapes, group portraiture, or travel photography, this lens was built to travel light. But it's no lightweight on quality. Tokina's AF 193 uses high-refraction, low-dispersion (HLD) all-glass optics made by Hoya Corporation and multi-coated with Tokina's exclusive anti-reflection coatings for outstanding optical performance in a value-priced lens.

An internal zooming ability allows the focal length to be adjusted without the over-all length of the lens changing. Filters, such as circular polarizers and other special effects, can be used, and thanks to the internal focusing mechanism the filter will not move during focusing.

The AF 193 handles and travels easily due to its compact design and lightweight materials. Which is important because now you can have the benefits of a super-wide angle zoom lens with you all the time!

Page:  1 · 2  next

uttam.hathi

Registered: Apr 20, 2014
Location: India
Review Date: Apr 20, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $138.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: weight, sharpness
Cons:
the quality of availability

this is a part of plastic wonder, i have 2 lens promaster spectrum-7 19 35 f3.5-4.5 and this tokina 193.
I almost had a heartattack when i recieved this lens, i purchased this from a japanese seller MK-JAPAN, as i was using promaster which it is said optically the same but there is a difference in housing construction. the copy i recievedwas not sharp. the seller offer to refund knowing well that cost of refund is logically not possible, this is not the first lens from japan, i have AT_X pro 28-70 2.8 which had it set of problems. THIS SELLER JUST IGNORES AFTER SALE. HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS SELLING!!!!!!, i had to rectify the at-x 28-70 2.8 at a price, had it been one off would have understood but 2 lens!!!! is not a coincidence, beware of japanese sellers from japan may look discounted but in effect are bad copies. the body had a mark by a sharp instrument across the body, but thats not all, no infinity focus, random disengagement of f reading, autofocus. dust in the front element. The only option was then to disassemble clean the electrical contacts and dust, do the infinity setting remove extra washers. good 4 hours.
now sharpness is as good as promaster, micro contrast / colour is better than promaster, thus coating used has made a world of difference. but the wish still remains had i brought the at-x pro 20-35 2.8 its supposedly sharper than 193. for the price ok,
BUT did not serve my purpose of a sharper lens than promaster spectrum 7.
for the price guess its good better than kit lens.

Apr 20, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add uttam.hathi to your Buddy List
lenseye

Registered: Mar 16, 2013
Review Date: Mar 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good build quality (sturdy), small size, relatively light, very sharp, pretty good contrast, and perfect for travel/everyday use. Excellent price!
Cons:
Hard to find, there is really nothing wrong with this lens for this price.

I ran into this lens accidentally at the local camera shop here in Osaka a few days ago. I remembered having read about it and the next day went back with my D700. I spent a good deal of time taking various shots inside and out of the store. Honestly I couldn't find anything wrong with this Tokina. This is my first third party lens and I think I absolutely made a great purchase.

As far as sharpness goes, this lens can go head to head with the best Nikon has to offer, if you know what you are doing! The first series of images I took with this lens where pin sharp, as sharp as my Nikon lenses. I found the distortion at the wide end a bit hard to correct in PP, however, with a bit of practice you can minimize the distortion when taking the image and thus make it much easier to deal with in post processing.

Colors are Tokina fantastic and speak for themselves... generally a bit cooler than NikKor lenses... fine by me!

The lens comes with a nice hood and takes 77mm filters, not that I advise using any filters with an ultra-wide lenses... I just put a protector filter on and called it the day.

Overall I like this lens very much and highly recommend it, if you can find one in good shape though. The one I got looks unused and practically new. At this price you can't beat this lens, it's just too good!!

Hope you find this little review useful.

Mar 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lenseye to your Buddy List
mgholson

Registered: Jun 26, 2004
Review Date: Feb 20, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Great range for a 1.6 crop. Heavy and sturdy, at least it looks to be. Enough sharpness to satitisfy me.
Cons:
Could use a bit more width, 77mm filters, heavy, it weighs more then camera, could be sharper. Build quality not as good as it would appear.

Does a pretty good job in low light and blows away the canon 28-90 kit lens I was using before this

Biggest issue for me is that I've had this guy and used it lightly and carefully for about 4 years and its starting to fall apart. The mount has came loose, screws fell out of the plastic ring which the autofocus is mounted and now its stuck in autofocus. 18-55 IS beats this in every regard. Maybe that's all I should expect but my other lenses are older and still solid.

Feb 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mgholson to your Buddy List
cola

Registered: Feb 10, 2010
Review Date: Feb 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: price/value, build quality, image quality, great colors, full 35mm circle
Cons:
slow autofocus

As PopPhoto said, you have to get it. Its fullcircle, solid build, fine colors and the new ones on the market are the last pieces.
I have used it on the PENTAX K10D - see picture link - and now using it on the 12MP PENTAX K-X. HOYA HLD glas lenses - no plastic.

See here a photo taken with TOKINA AF 19-35 and PENTAX K10D :

Feb 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cola to your Buddy List
frank hsieh

Registered: Dec 20, 2007
Review Date: Jun 21, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $120.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Cheap
Cons:
Soft, Poor IQ, Slow Focus

This is the worst lens I have ever used on my 1D3. Very soft no matter what I tried. IQ increased when aperture was at f/8, but still pretty crap.

Strongly against anyone buying this lens. It might be ok for someone that is starting out and dont know anything better...

Jun 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add frank hsieh to your Buddy List
Jan Waumans

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Jun 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Well build, sharp, cheap
Cons:
Quite heavy barrel distortion, slow AF, unpractical focus range on a crop

I bought it with some other items for 50 EUR just for fun (I have an EF-S 10-22)
At f:8 it is very sharp even in the corners
Not for architecture
I wish I had this lens 10 years ago on my FF film EOS !

Jun 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jan Waumans to your Buddy List
Ernest

Registered: Nov 11, 2004
Review Date: May 14, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Seems solid, cheap price.
Cons:
soft, lack of color, slow focus if it even does focus.

Maybe I got a bad copy but comparing it to my Tamron 17-35 it comes up way short. Yes it's cheap but cheap doesn't help when the end result is extremely low quality images. If you want a lens to take on trips that you won't be heartbroken to lose or damage then you might want this one. Other than that I can't see any reason I would recommend this lens to anyone. It's not even as good as a canon 18-55 kit lens.

My advice would be STAY AWAY. It's cheap for a reason folks.

May 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ernest to your Buddy List
nycandre

Registered: Apr 23, 2009
Review Date: Apr 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very inexpensive for the quality you get.
Cons:
None really considering its price.

A must if you don't have a wide zoom: it is not necessary to have the sharpest mostest lens for great results.
See for example this shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/3470083052/

Apr 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nycandre to your Buddy List
0211

Registered: Mar 12, 2009
Review Date: Mar 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even wide open, good color and contrast, it's absolutely impossible to get more lens for your money, build is okay
Cons:
None for that price

I got this one used on ebay for 60. I thought for that price it can't be a mistake. And I was so surprised when I tested the lens on my D700. Even the Borders are not too bad at f3.5. At f8 I think they are perfect. Best value you can get! I'm going to get the AF-S 17-35/2.8 but I will never sell the Tokina Smile

Some pics done with the Tokina: http://home.fotocommunity.com/nullzwoelf/index.php?id=667708&d=16229979

Mar 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 0211 to your Buddy List
william Graham

Registered: Jul 29, 2006
Review Date: Jul 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, very good colour on my D300, needs stopping down as you would expect
Cons:
For the price, none it's a true bargain

Jul 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add william Graham to your Buddy List
Flav

Registered: Apr 30, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: May 20, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap, Ultrawide (specially on FF), sharp-ish when stopped down, robust and light.
Cons:
Slow af, specially in low-light. This lens is good only for outside shooting with plenty of light.

The only situation in which i recommend this is on your film(hobby) camera. By no means should it be used in a professional job - it's too slow, specially in dark places. It does ok with flash i guess.
Great for a film camera, digital too (but not really that impressive wide angle... 19 is not ultra-wide on APS-C). Haven't tried on a 5D yet, but it does good on film so far.
It might be more expensive, but get a Canon 20mm or Nikon 20mm (or even a manual wide-angle - you could focus faster than this in low light by hand), b/c 35mm end is not sharp at all on this one and not worth mentioning/using.

Overall: do not buy this lens, get a fixed focal lenght.

May 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Flav to your Buddy List
danbachmann

Registered: Nov 14, 2004
Review Date: Mar 16, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: decent control of flare
Cons:
not as contrasty or sharp as I had hoped

I was searching for an "ultra wide angle" lens and this was one that I tried. It was better than the Tamron SP 17mm (Adaptall) and about the same as the Vivitar 19mm Series 1. Actually, it is better than the Vivitar which very easily had flare issues from the sunlight being anywhere in the front 120 degrees.

The Tamron SP17-35 was the one I tested and up keeping. This Tokina was OK, but I was not impressed.

Mar 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danbachmann to your Buddy List
Jeff Spain

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great focusing and zoom rings, sharp images after f8
Cons:
plastic lens

A very slow consumer type lens. Oddly, it turns into pro level images at F8 to F16. It is sharper than my Nikon Prime lens in this range. Love, love the big tire pattern rubber focus and zoom rings, wish all cameras had this style. Soft wide open or stopped down all the way, CA and some purople fringe wide open.

Drawbacks are it is a very slow lens. I shoot a few landscapes at F16 so this works great. Superb value for your dollar. If all you shoot is pro landscapes, spend 4 times more for the name lens. Highly recommend for 99% of the users looking for a wide angle zoom.

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Spain to your Buddy List
sachkan

Registered: Apr 22, 2007
Review Date: Jun 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built well, sharp, price well worth it
Cons:
No cons

I needed a wide lens and was looking at the 17-40L but that was way too expensive. I then saw this on Ebay and took a chance on it. Absolutely worth every penny. Built well and gave great results.
I've recently upgraded and sold this one but I too have some regrets.

Jun 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sachkan to your Buddy List
Mark Eley

Registered: Sep 27, 2006
Review Date: Jan 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, Build quality, sharpness, Price!
Cons:
None at this price

I wanted a 17-40 L lens but couldn't justify its L price tag.

After reading these reviews I decided the lens was a must when used copies were so rediculously cheap on ebay. Having had it for the best part of a year I wont be buying 1 17-40L any time soon.
Image Quality and colour are excellent, a tad of barrel distortion @ 19mm but great from 20mm. Very close to sharp wide open and it gets very sharp from F5.6 onwards

The guy who sold me mine would like it back as he is not as happy with his 17-40 as he thought he would be Smile

Quite simply I cant think of any better value for money Canon DSLR lens. Tokina will almost certainly get a 12-24 sale from me based on my current experience

Jan 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Eley to your Buddy List
Steven Myatt

Registered: Nov 29, 2006
Review Date: Nov 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $124.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price. Sharpness. Rugged construction.
Cons:
Limited zoom range.

I already had a Sigma 24-70 EX DG but I wanted something a little wider. I saw this Tokina and figured for the money I couldn't go wrong. I was correct.
The first thing I did was test this lens against the Sigma (an extremely sharp lens). Very interesting results. Wide open, the image (at any focal length setting) is already sharp enough to use for most situations and it matched up well with the Sigma at the same f ratio. At f5.6 and f8, the image got very sharp and stayed that way till f11. At f16, diffraction effects started cutting in to the quality of the image and things started to soften up. At f22 it started turning VERY soft. One thing that's a little odd about this lens: the edge holds the same sharpness level as the center of the image (well, pretty darn close) at all f-stops. If the image gets soft, it's a uniform softness across the entire length. If the image is sharp (like at f5.6), it's the same degree of sharpness at the center as well as the edge. I like it.
Wide open, I could just barely spot purple-fringing with the lens wide-open (and the image expanded so you could look at individual pixels). At f5.6 and above this went away totally.
Focus speed is excellent on this lens and I've never had it hunt around.
So why is this puppy so cheaply priced? The plastic body is probably the answer. Still, it feels pretty good when mounted on my 30D and I've seen this lens take some abuse (like being dropped to a concrete floor) without being harmed.
All in all, this lens just can't be beat for the price. If only it had a wider zoom range....

Nov 29, 2006