Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

215 489256 Oct 11, 2013
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

Erik_J

Registered: Aug 31, 2013
Review Date: Oct 11, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,430.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: AF, Colours
Cons:
No weather sealing, Expensive, CA

It's a rather nice 35mm lens. But too expensive compared to the competition. It has some CA and Flare also

Oct 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Erik_J to your Buddy List
alskouba

Registered: Jun 19, 2011
Review Date: Mar 23, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Colors! Fast AF! My favorite focal lenght.Trust(just this makes is value to me)
Cons:
I would say build quality even do it is great And will take a lot of beating,I dont like the plastics and would of love to have the same build as the 24L II.Also no rubber ring... Chromatic aberation but easely corrected in post.

This is the first lens review I ever done. I had to share my experience with this lens! I simply adore it, I do a lot of reportage and PJ work and this is definitly a lens I can fully trust. Half of my Portfolio image are made with that lens.It's that good. I must says i am a pixel peepers... to me,Unless the moment is really important, if it is not sharp at 100% then the image is good for the garbage.With this len,the number of keeper is amazing. I have used this lens on the original 5d,5d mkII and 5dmkIII and 1d mkIII. on all of theese bodies even mkI and mkII AF was perfect and IQ was close to be perfect.
For as long as I will be able to run and walk this lens will do the ideal job
I highly suggest this lens!!
Alexis

Mar 23, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alskouba to your Buddy List
Mr.Konstantin

Registered: May 14, 2009
Review Date: Feb 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and quite focus, lightweight, build quality, flare control
Cons:
No weather seal, front cap hard to use when hood is attached, price, CA wide open

I have been using 35L for the past two years and can't tell you enough. First and most important for me was the weight and build quality which exceeded my expectations as well as the image quality is second to none. I use this lens for half&full length body portraits including environmental portraits with minimal distortion which can be fixed in LR with ease. This is a great indoor lens be it for family, events or wedding. I found the large focusing ring rotates with little effort and with great precision. I found this lens has impressive macro capability.
The only small con I found was the lens cap is is tough to take off and put on when the hood is attached but I can live with that.
All in all this is a must have and truly deserve all the hype.

Feb 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr.Konstantin to your Buddy List
kezeka

Registered: Feb 18, 2010
Review Date: Jan 26, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness wide open, color, contrast, build, "Magic", fast AF
Cons:
No weather sealing, CA and fringing wide open

I have always read about this lens being somehow "magical" without much of any proof to back it up. It doesn't have the crystal clear sharpness and microcontrast as a Zeiss. What it does have is a whole lot of character. Not the 6 year old BMW "it breaks a lot so I have bonded with it" character, but the kind of good joo joo feel you get after a great night out with friends.The best way I can describe this is the difference between a lens like a master prime that is technically brilliant BUT lacks the soul/feel/emotion of a lens with a couple of non-intrusive flaws that makes it special.

This lens has a way of turning what has ever right to be a dull photo into something fantastic. It is tough to explain why or where this step happens between pressing the shutter down and editing in post but it happens nonetheless. Until I purchased this lens, I was using a 24-70 and 70-200 almost solely. After buying this, I switched over to using primarily this lens for my general purpose. After 2 months, I sold the 24-70 because it never left the bag anymore!

The focusing motors are fast enough to keep up with bands playing on dark stages. The contrast is plentiful. Coloration is phenomenal. Bokeh is great if you don't mind getting closer to your subject.

Really wish this lens had weather sealing because it would be phenomenal out in the rain (and having to throw a trashbag over the lens/camera is never fun). That along with the significant fringing wide open are the only two problems I have with the lens. Fringing/CA are fairly easy to fix in lightroom/photoshop these days though.

Here are a few sample photos:

Jan 26, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kezeka to your Buddy List
L.J.G.

Registered: May 12, 2011
Review Date: Dec 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great colour, build quality
Cons:

As the owner of a 24-105, a 24-70 a 50 & and 85 I was not even sure I wanted a 35 prime. Finding the 50 a bit too long somtimes (I got caught at my last wedding with the bridal waltz in a small corner) I decided to bite the bullet and get the 35L. It has very quickly become my most used lens, I love it. It is quick to focus, delivers sharp images with great colour and has terrific out of focus bokeh. Some say it is nervous but I guess that is in the eye of the beholder. I just love using it to the point where I hardly use the 50 at all any more. I will probably sell it and buy a 135 to make up my prime trilogy. It has not missed a shot yet unless it is my fault. I reckon one of these should be in every Canon shooters bag.

Dec 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add L.J.G. to your Buddy List
Hawkan

Registered: Jul 4, 2008
Review Date: Nov 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,329.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great colors, sharp enough, deep hood
Cons:
Price, size (compared to other lenses in the same focal range), no weather sealing

This is a "must have" for a lot of photographers. It's fast, well built and most important of all it is of that classic 35mm focal range.

Is it sharp? Yes. Ridiculously sharp? No. It's sharp enough. It does lovely colors though.

One thing I cannot stress enough about this lens is that is (in my opinion) perfect for a full frame Canon camera, but on a crop camera it does not deliver anything more than the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 does (I do own both). The autofocus performs about the same on both lenses and sharpness might be better in the center with the Sigma. Colors are different though, not that either one is better, just different.

Nov 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hawkan to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens, small, light, very fast focus, extremely sharp and a good build
Cons:
A littlebit CA wide open and the price.

Very good lens. One of the best lens I've ever bought.

Most pictures of my site are made with this lens:
www.totaalfotografie.nl

May 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
nswelton

Registered: Jan 16, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: beautiful color rendition, well made, contrasty, sharp, quick to focus
Cons:

my most used canon lens. literally i shoot 50% of a wedding day with this lens. it's fast to focus, sharp as a tack, and has absolutely beautiful colors and contrast. i did have a bad copy that literally took 5 trips to canon service before it was fixed properly, but i attribute that to canon service and not to the lens itself.

Apr 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nswelton to your Buddy List
davidmarsh

Registered: Oct 26, 2004
Review Date: Mar 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great feel, quality, clarity
Cons:
the price, as usual with canon

Whilst this is an amazing lens i recently carried out a simple test by taking the same set of images with the EF 35MM F1.4 L, the 16-35 F2.8 L and the 24-70 F2.8 L. Both the 35mm and the 16-35 gave almost identical quality all around the frame area at every F stop i used. Indeed, it was the 24-70 that fell down in only a few areas. Obviously I set the zoom on both lenses to 35 to match the fixed prime 35mm. I had convinced myself that i needed prime lenses for my HDr work but now not so sure!! See...http://www.hdrimaging.co.uk Most of these taken with the 16-35 F2.8 L lens.

Mar 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidmarsh to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's a 35L. Beautiful backgrounds, four times the light from the already fast f2.8L lenses I have. Fantastic focal length on a FF 5DM2.
Cons:
Costs a bunch.

Lovely lovely lens. I rented it a few times, borrowed from a friend a few times and finally broke down and bought my very own. There's a great price for this lens new right now with the rebates.

This lens will get you the images no other lens can.

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
mediluz

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Dec 23, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built and balanced; sharp at 5.6-8; excellent color rendering; very good control of distortion
Cons:
Very soft on the borders up to 5.6; expensive

The lens is well built and easy to handle, perfectly matching in balance the camera body for my hand size.
Focusing is silent , sometimes inaccurate ( as not infrequently happens with any lens with my 5 Mk II).
Yes it shoots 1.4, but images are really sharp in the center only starting at f.4 in the center and 5.6 on the borders, where resolution is really floppy fully open and up to 2.8. Vignetting is acceptable.
Colour is excellent; distortion and CA very good.
Since a 1.4 lens is supposed to be used at full aperture, the 35 f1.4, albeit a good one, was under expectations and IMHO is not worth its price.

Dec 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mediluz to your Buddy List
boris342

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, sharp, great bokeh, colour, contrast
Cons:

This lens is canon's best lens. I have the 200 F1.8, the 50 1.0, the 85 1.2, and I still go to this lens the most.

It's colour and contrast is amazing, it's sharpness at 1.4 is fantastic, and it renders it's out of focus area's beautifully.

This lens wide open and the 85 f1.2, make a dream wedding set up.

I consider this on par with a few of my leica lenses which are 5-6 times more expensive.

Kudos to canon for this lens.

www.lekkerphoto.com

Dec 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add boris342 to your Buddy List
tororo

Registered: May 26, 2010
Review Date: Nov 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Center sharpness at 1.4, build quality, flare resistance, AF accuracy, USM
Cons:
No weather shield, nervous bokeh at wide aperture (but this is normal for any wide-angle lens with aspherical lens elements)

This lens produces amazing center sharpness even at 1.4. The bokeh is far from ideal, but acceptable, which is the tendency with any wide-angle lens with aspherical lens elements. EF 35/2 is totally unacceptable due to very nervous bokeh.
If you don't need AF, go for Samyang 35/1.4 or Zeiss 35/1.4. The center sharpness and bokeh quality are on par with 35/1.4L but the corner sharpness at wider apertures is better than 35/1.4L. Nikon 35/1.4 AIS produces unacceptably nervous bokeh.

Samples at wide open:

Samples showing nervous bokeh at wide open:

Low light samples at wide open:

Nov 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tororo to your Buddy List
maxben21

Registered: Oct 23, 2011
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Oct 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, excellent colour rendition with 5D mark II, bokeh. good at f2 , very good at f2.8, absolutely great at f5.6-8
Cons:
weight, lens shade too big, price.

to me, just the best ultrafast 35mm besides the Leica-M 35mm f1.4 Aspherical (no Asph. second version).

paired with the 85mm f1.2 it is an astounding combo with a FF camera.

Oct 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maxben21 to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even at 1.4. Great colour and contrast. For me its a perfect focal length for a 'walk round' lens on a FF camera. Good build quality, fast AF. Great bokeh for a wider lens. Gives a 50L like look to shots.
Cons:
No weather sealing.

I sold my 24L II to get this lens and its been my most used lens since I bought it in April 2010. Up until then my favourite lens was the 50L. I find the 35s focal length more useful to me.

I really like the bokeh compared to the 24L, although not quite as buttery/creamy as the 50L the 35L is sharper at 1.4 than the 50L.

I love the shallow DOF and the 3D look to the larger aperture shots. Its like a wider, sharper 50L to me. I find it a great match up for travel with the 24-105. It really is as good as everybody says.

Oct 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
dves

Registered: Jan 19, 2009
Review Date: Sep 30, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,700.00

Pros: lens has been fixed by canon perfect now
Cons:
poor quality control

I am a lot happier with the lens since Canon have serviced it. Luckily the Rugby World cup is running in NZ & specialist equipment & technicians are in the country who were able to recalibrate lens to perfection.

My Rating would be a 10 now

Sep 30, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dves to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM