Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

219 494746 Nov 30, 2014
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

Peter Eavis

Registered: Feb 5, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image sharpness. Colors fabulous. Records the right amount of light. Very fast focusing. Not that big (compared to zooms). Versatile in low light.
Cons:
None I can see so far.

The decision for me as I move into primes was whether the much cheaper 35mm f/2 would be my 35mm lens or not. I got one and tried it out. The problems with that lens is not sharpness. Instead, it records colors overly harshly and struggles with overexposure. It also is slowish to focus and that is a real draw back with wide apertures when doing people work.

I then tried the 35mm f/1.4 and -- yes, this is a cliche, but it applies -- it was like night and day on the 80% of the shots I took. The f1/4 never fails to take the pic you want it to take. With the f/2, it was often a struggle -- it was too much work getting that (very good) lens to take shots I thought would work out great. The f1/4 makes photography a joy, not only because of the quality of the results, but also because the ease of using it makes it a joy to get those results. I feel I have more time now to concentrate on getting the next shot and positioning etc. This is key for anyone doing people shots on the streets, like I do in NYC.

I used to like the smallness of the f/2 a lot -- stuff my 5D in my jacket and go shoot. But the f1.4 is nothing like a zoom, so I am fine with it.

So, when all is said and done, it is worth the extra money.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Eavis to your Buddy List
shaunknee

Registered: Jan 2, 2006
Review Date: Feb 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build, contrast & AF speed
Cons:

I hated the build quality and CA of my 50 f1.4. I sold it and replaced it with this gem.
It is twice as big unfortunately but worth it. I find I use lens more then any other now because of its speed and IQ

Feb 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shaunknee to your Buddy List
peeder

Registered: Jan 27, 2007
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All
Cons:
Zippo

No one would ever need treatment for depression if their eyes were replaced by a pair of 35L's.

Jan 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peeder to your Buddy List
Xenedis

Registered: Feb 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, sharpness, focal length (on a full-frame DSLR), bokeh and all else that goes with L.
Cons:
Price, vignetting and plastic shell.

I shoot with a 5D, and have 50mm, 85mm, 135mm and 300mm primes. What I was lacking was a fast, wide prime. The 35/1.4L filled that gap, and very nicely indeed.

I've started to get into some band gig photography, and wanted a wider view than 50mm.

The 24/1.4L and 35/1.4L were both up for consideration, but from the reading I'd done, the general consensus was that the 35/1.4L was the better lens.

I did have a chance to try a 24/1.4L, and it performed well, but I felt that 35mm would be a safer focal length. I have the 24-105/4L IS, so I have the wider FOV when I want it. However, 24mm comes with some trade-offs.

I bought the 35/1.4L without having even tried it, but I knew it would be good. What I didn't know was just how good it would be.

It has been described as one of the best Canon primes, and deservedly so.

I shot with it a lot today, and while I bought it primarily for low-light shooting, it's far more versatile, and deserves to be used even in good lighting.

It unquestionably handles low light. I look forward to using this at my next gig shoot, and for more general street shooting. I also look forward to using it in other low-light environments, and I today experienced its capability in a very dimly lit Cathedral.

What I've observed about the 35/1.4L in the weeks I've owned it is that it is very sharp straight from the camera, and requires little or no sharpening in post-processing. Colour is good, too.

The fast f/1.4 aperture allows isolation of subject from background, but with the wider focal length, there's more room to breathe as far as depth of field is concerned. Background blur is smooth and creamy, and the eight-bladed aperture ensures great bokeh.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, it vignettes at wider apertures. Mind you, I do use a 5D, and even my 70-200/2.8L IS vignettes on that.

I was surprised to discover that the lens's shell is made from plastic (albeit a strong plastic) rather than metal. I was also surprised at how heavy this lens is for its size. It is a large lens for its focal length, but it does contain a lot of glass (11 elements).

Below is a gallery of some of the images I've captured with this lens:

If you want a good, wide, fast prime and need or want the 35mm focal length, I'd recommend the 35/1.4L without hesitation. I can see myself going out with just this and the 135/2L. Together, these two make for an unbeatable minimalist low-light combination. Throw in a 50mm or 85mm prime to cover the middle ground.

All in all, this is a fantastic lens, and I'm very pleased I bought it.

J.

Jan 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xenedis to your Buddy List
Canonised

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality, great image quality output, fast focussing, almost the widest aperture available.
Cons:
Almost too expensive for a prime, big lens for its focal length, a tad soft wide open.

It may seem weird to some here but I was only attracted to this lens after having bought, used and enjoyed the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

That lens is wonderful (although I had to try 3 before getting a good one) and I use it on my 20D for lots of creative work in low light as well as indoors in day time. Its a great lens but has some faults (like it will misfocus when focussing at infinity). When I read all the great reviews of the 35L I thought it would be a great glass to upgrade to.

It costs 3 times as much as the Sigma but I estimate the improvement is about 15% (thats how good I think the Sigma is). That 15% is in the sharpness at f1.8 and the saturation of the colours compared to the siggy.

I have plans to acquire a FF body - which is why I am keeping the Sigma (which apparently is not FF compatible).

Oddly enough, I found the size of the 35L a tad big. This may be because I am too used to the Sigma 30mm. However, on a pro body the lens will feel perfect.

As for the image quality, I find my conclusions are very similar to many others posts here.

So far I have no regrets with this lens and I recommend it for those who genuinely need a good quality fast wide lens.

Jan 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Canonised to your Buddy List
juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Dec 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great balance/feel, very nice bokeh, superb images by f2.8 with stunning color/contrast/sharpness
Cons:
usable wide open but wish it were a little sharper by f2, distortion

Dec 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
Mike Tuomey

Registered: Jul 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build, color rendition, bokeh
Cons:
Cost, softness and vignetting wide open

Overall a keeper because it's the best Canon can do around this focal length, but I don't believe it deserves rave reviews.

Colors and bokeh are wonderful on both my 1D and 5D. It sits on the 5D most of the time. Great for available light candids, walk-around shooting.

It's quite a bit softer wide open than I expected. Past f2-ish the lens sharpens up. And the vignetting is also surprising - it doesn't moderate until around f4 or so.

I guess you can argue that some softness and vignetting in low light shooting is acceptable, but it's still disappointing,

Paying $1100 for a sharp, balanced 35/4 with nice color and bokeh seems extravagant.

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Tuomey to your Buddy List
Hacker

Registered: Feb 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing bokeh for even a 35mm lens. Very sharp at f1.4 and contrast and colors are excellent.
Cons:
Price and weight. Lens hood too bulky when transporting or carrying in a compact bag.

Ultimate 35mm lens for SLRs.

Dec 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hacker to your Buddy List
alfieri

Registered: Feb 25, 2006
Review Date: Dec 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Canon's best wide-angle prime; excellent colors; love the perspective on 5D and 20D; very sharp at f/2 and higher, good down to f/1.4; particularly sharp on 5D, though not as sharp as 135/f2L or 85s; no issue with the weight or handling
Cons:
front external glass seems to collect dust more than other lenses; vignetting is noticeable below f/2; the lens could be a little sharper and I'd more for that

sample images and ramblings are here:

Dec 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alfieri to your Buddy List
timster

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid construction. superior color, contrast and detail will make many of your lens seem lacking. vignetting sometimes gives character.
Cons:
large glass element and red-ring makes this a not-very-subtle lens with a not-so-subtle price tag. vignettes wide open. superior color, contrast and detail will make it hard to use other lens that you might have paid a lot of money for.

i know i'm probably another fanboy just throwing over more praise on the already massive pile over this 35L.

so i'll just say this. if you want a wide-angle low-available-light working lens for candids and hate using a flash or if bokeh makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over, then this lens delivers. in spades.

if you're happy to shoot stopped-down, and have the wife-factor to worry about - or just think it's downright asinine to blow $1100 on a prime, there's plenty of good alternatives out there!

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add timster to your Buddy List
DLai

Registered: Nov 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, build, sharp at 1.4, perfect for day/night time wedding events or general street photography.
Cons:
Price...but then again you get what you pay for. No weather sealing though.

Fantastic lens at an outrageous price! Its true that nothing is more flexible than a zoom...but if you are willing to sacrafice the zoom capabilities and have something faster than f2.8, this is it. I find myself reaching for this lens more often than my 24-70L. This along with my EFS 10-22 and 85 make up my travel kit. (I shoot with a 20D)

Nov 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DLai to your Buddy List
Ed Cucci

Registered: Nov 18, 2006
Review Date: Nov 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great wide open, lightweight, good for avialble light
Cons:
not the 24mm

Love this prime. Great for clubs, seminars or anywhere that flash is either a detriment or not useful. To be honest, I really wanted the 24mm but it was soft at the edges to f4 - couldn't live with that. But I'm real happy with it. Love to see it on a FF. Great product!

Nov 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ed Cucci to your Buddy List
jmaio

Registered: Feb 26, 2005
Review Date: Nov 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: One of the few lenses I've bought where I can say its really sharp wide open.
Cons:

I just received this lens a few hours ago and did some images of a test chart at f/1,4. Its one of the sharpest Canon lenses I own and by far the sharpest WA lens.

I just sent my 24mm f/1.4 because of soft focus wide open and if they can get it anywhere near this lens, I'll be one haooy camoer.

Nov 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmaio to your Buddy List
Andy M

Registered: Sep 10, 2006
Review Date: Oct 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f1.4. Relatively compact. Extremely well built. Provides excellent results.
Cons:
Quite expensive.

Probably my favourite lens.

Not a lot to say, other than buy one if you can!

Oct 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andy M to your Buddy List
Rajan Parrikar

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Oct 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical performance - speed, colour, contrast, sharpness - and build quality.
Cons:

I purchased this lens primarily for low light indoor and outdoor photography and it has not disappointed. Autofocus is quick, the colours and contrast outstanding. This is a versatile lens and a valuable addition to my arsenal.

Oct 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rajan Parrikar to your Buddy List
kapytalyst

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF & Sharp & Compact & f/1.4!
Cons:
If you learn how to use it there are no negative aspects of this lens.

This lens deserves its legendary status. For those of you who say this lens is "soft" wide open I suggest you send it back to Canon for fine-tuning or check your camera settings or your technique. I sent mine to Canon telling them I wanted it to be as sharp as possible at f/1.4 and the little bit of fine tuning they did turned this lens into a monster. I have never used Leica M series or Zeiss optics but I can't imagine anything mounted on a 35mm body that has much better sharpness, color or contrast than this lens. What would that look like?

At $1,150 this lens used to be considered expensive but can that still be said compared to Canon's starting prices for the newer zooms, especially those of the f/4 IS variety?

If you want to create works of art - or just take drop dead gorgeous pictures - I suggest you give this lens a try.

Oct 25, 2006