Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

215 484989 Oct 11, 2013
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63į
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

Xibalban

Registered: Dec 1, 2005
Review Date: Aug 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: image quality
Cons:
big, heavy, feels cheap

Itís amazing how cheap this lens feels. Except for the lens mount, itís completely made out of plastic although I hope at least the lenses are real glass. Itís like something from a $20 toy camera. For the price I would have hoped a more quality feel to it. It is also very big and heavy.

The image quality however is very good and thatís of course the most important part. Take a look at my pictures with it (mostly taken wide open):

Aug 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xibalban to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Aug 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: L build, Useble right open. Very Sharp and beautiful color.
Cons:
Some purple fringing sometimes, diappears above F2.0. Easy to correct. A little barrel, but still, you have to correct it.

Not a barging, but the quality stay's long after the price is forgotten. In comparising with the money you lose on bying a DSLR, it's an investment.

On my 1.3 crop the 35 mm is very nice, on a FF is must be even nicer.

The results you have to see to beleve, F2.8 is sů beautiful.

I own the lens for 2 day's now and I love it already.

Aug 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List
tellingthm

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Jul 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 100% usability at f/1.4 just opens up a whole new world of possibilities
Cons:
it's too bad physics won't allow this lens to be smaller. an L should be weather-sealed, but it doesn't really matter cause my 5d isn't weather-sealed either.

first off, in the interest of full disclosure, i'll state that i'm a prime shooter. that said, shortly after purchasing this lens, i sold my other lenses (24-70L, 28/1.8, 50/1.4). that was over 6 months ago, and the 35L is still the only lens i own. paired with my 5d, the 35 allows me to capture whatever i see, exactly as i see it, in ANY situation; the combination of 35mm, f/1.4, and (5d's) iso 3200 allow for shooting in the darkest of situations, as i can comfortably handhold at 1/30th, and- if i'm careful- 1/10th, although subject motion can make that a moot point. although you won't be able to make the background disappear like you can with a telephoto unless you're subject is close to you (because of the 35mm focal length), it's plenty easy to blur everything but your subject- which is reliably sharp with this lens.
i've owned every L 2.8 zoom and every USM non-L prime, and nothing compares to the 35L. when i get a longer lens in the near-future, it'll either be an 85L or 135L; i've just grown too accustomed to (and spoiled by!) L prime IQ.

Jul 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tellingthm to your Buddy List
philber

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: Jun 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect portrait lens on my 40D. Great rendition of even very subtle color shadings and contrasts.
Cons:
Nothing

Out of my 6 Canon primes, this one is second best only to my 135L 2.0. Compared to it, its ability to record color is equivalent, and outstanding, but it lacks just a little edge. When reality is rough, the 35L softens it ever so slightly IMHO. But it is very slight, and goes to making the shots more beautiful than real. So who's complaining?
Highly recommended.

Jun 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add philber to your Buddy List
banditlj

Registered: Dec 29, 2007
Review Date: Apr 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,235.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I's so sharp at f1.4.the colour is so rich.the boken is so lovely and in room,it's so useful
Cons:
CA is the most poor in my lens lines you pay 1000$ for a plastic lens!

It's my lens

Apr 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add banditlj to your Buddy List
dgenx24

Registered: Jan 29, 2008
Review Date: Apr 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,119.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, nice blur, small & light
Cons:
plastic feel

I just bought this yesterday,..
i'm having so much fun with it right out of the box..
to me, this lens is alot easier to use than 85L..
lighter and more compact too..
only one thing that I don't like it about is the plastic feel...

Apr 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dgenx24 to your Buddy List
poodlelvr

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Stunning rich, deep color. Fast, sharp, my favorite lens.
Cons:

Although I primarily have L lens, when I bought my 5D I decided to try this lens. She stays on the camera 95% of the time. Another person who wishes she had bought this lens long ago; moving to primes on the basis of this lens alone. I also have 135L, which I love, but this is better. Just buy it.

Apr 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add poodlelvr to your Buddy List
Henry Goh

Registered: Sep 23, 2004
Review Date: Apr 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f/1.4 with buttery OOF areas. By shooting wide open, it gives me a unique look that is not possible with my other lenses. I really like the look and am currently wondering if I can expand this to the 24mm f/1.4L lens too.
Cons:
None really

I wish I had bought this lens earlier. Since I also have the 85mm f/1.2 II, I plan to now buy the 24mm f/1.4 and the 14mm f/2.8. On the 1Ds MKIII where I can use micro-adjustment to get the sharpest focus, these lenses together with the 35mm L are worth the money.

Apr 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Henry Goh to your Buddy List
ihendy

Registered: Apr 6, 2008
Review Date: Apr 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Constrast, Color, Sharpness, biuld quality.
Cons:
CA at 1.4 - easily fixed pp

I loved my 50 1.4 but found it a little tight on the 1.6 crop. Great portrait lense but I was looking for a standard lense like I had back on my old film SLR. I researched them all, tried a few, agonized about cost, then just went and bought the 35L. WOW - this lense is fantastic. The images seem almost 3d. It's been stuck on my 40d for over a month now. All that prime will make you more creative jazz is not total crap. I had gotten so used to twisting the zoom to take the shot, I forgot the joy of working with a prime. I kinda feel sorry for my other lenses now. I only use them if I can't get the shot with this one.

Apr 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ihendy to your Buddy List
TysonRobichaud

Registered: Dec 10, 2007
Review Date: Mar 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, Sharpness, Speed, on FF 35mm is a very useful focal length for all around shooting.
Cons:
Absolutely nothing that I can see or have found. It would be nice if it were a bit more affordable, but if this is the going rate for the quality it produces, then it is what must be paid.

Again, reading reviews and allowing myself to be pushed that last little bit has not let me down. This truly is one of the most amazing lenses I have shot with. I like 35mm on a FF as opposed to the standard 50mm as it gives that little extra angle which helps when closer to the action so to speak. Functioning as a standard (56mm equiv) on a cropped sensor would provide a beautiful alternative as well but it shines on a 5D. At 1.4 I have been amazed at how sharp and beautiful an image it creates and have since traded away my 50 1.4 as I would not have a use for it anymore. Color is beautifully saturated and lines are sharp. Stopped to f/2 this lens will rival any in overall image quality, although I have been shooting this wide open 99% of the time. Truly worthy of its praises. With a wide angled lens like this you do not get the subject isolation or bokeh you see with the 85's or 135 for obvious reasons, but that said, I have not seen a 35mm focal length that produces oof areas like this one is capable of. The only problem I could see someone having with this lens would have to be an aversion to the focal length or procuring a bad copy. If you can drop the coin, you would be hard pressed to find a better 35mm lens out there.

Mar 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TysonRobichaud to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Mar 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect de facto lens, well-balanced in size, very sharp and high IQ lens!
Cons:
A little pricy, but you get what you pay for.

I would be happy with this lens epoxied to my spare Canon 5D body! If I could only have one lens, then this one would be my choice.

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM Lens Photo Samples

-Roy

Mar 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
Rob S

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: Dec 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best-in-class speed and sharpness, wonderful blurred backgrounds...especially for a wide angle.
Cons:
Cost, size. (But you get what you pay for, right?)

I gave a lot of thought to getting the new 50L to have a fast, 'normal' lens for a trip to Japan. I went with the 35L instead, partially because I'm shooting 1.3x and 1.6x crop cameras, and partly because the 35 and 85 were my favorite focal lengths back in the film days. It seemed like an awfully expensive addition to my bag, especially since I'm already shooting the 10-22, 17-40L, and 24-105L in that range. I brought a lot of gear to Japan, and surprisingly, the 35L was one of my most-used lenses. Great for low-light, nighttime stuff. The bokeh really surprised me...not as buttery as my 85L, but beautiful nonetheless. And did I mention I focuses about 5X faster than the 85L?

In the field, this lens went from a 'just in case' tool to a main everyday workhorse. I always have it tucked in my pocket now!

Dec 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob S to your Buddy List
Tony Rogers

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Dec 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, speed. Perspective distortion (when desired)
Cons:
Perspective distortion (when NOT desired!)

This lens made it possible for me to stop relying on the 24-70mm f2.8L. I use it mostly for full-length shots in the studio, where I'm running around f8. It is noticeably sharper than the 24-70, and focuses more quickly (probably because f1.4 lets a lot of light hit the autofocus sensors).

Have to be careful about getting too close to a model while using this lens - unintended perspective distortion is unflattering :-) Apart from that I have nothing bad to say about this lens.

I suspect Canon don't sell a lot of these because people buy the 24-70 or 16-35 instead. Pity, because this lens is very very good. Just wish the 24 f1.4 was as good.

Dec 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tony Rogers to your Buddy List
Dan Doucette

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Useable at f/1.4 and great by f/2, solid build quality, very good image quality, great bokeh for a 35mm lens.
Cons:
A tad soft at f/1.4, expensive, extra care must be given to proper shooting technique when using wide open, should be weather sealed

For my style of photography I shoot primarily with f/2.8 L zooms. I switch to a few more specialized primes only as needed. For me, the 35L is one of those specialized lenses. I use it when I need to shoot hand-held in low-light conditions, or if extra shallow depth of field is required at this focal length.

I used to carry the 50mm f/1.4 and the 24mm f/1.4 for these occasions but found the image quality of the 50mm to be seriously lacking in the f/1.4-2 range (where I needed it to be good). This left just the 24L, which I liked, but was too wide to be a one lens solution for my low-light, hand-held shooting. The 24L was also a bit soft wide open under some conditions.

I was able to borrow a 35L to try for a few weeks and was hooked. I sold the 50 and 24, bought a used 35L and have not looked back. I can use this lens wide open and get good results, but I try to stop down to f/2 if possible to increase image quality a bit.

I did need to send this lens in for repair as the AF unit was causing every 5th shot or so to be out of focus, even under great lighting. The repair was made and I have not noticed a problem since.

I shoot with the 5D and find that for best auto-focus results in poor lighting I must use the center focus point and not the less-sensitive peripheral points. This requires using the focus-recompose technique that can sometimes result in out of focus results in shallow depth of field situations, but so far this has not been an issue for me.

Some people say this lens it tack sharp wide open. My experience has been that it provides useable results wide-open, but still sharpens up some when stopped down a bit. Overall it's a great lens, with very good color, sharpness, and contrast, smooth bokeh, and is built to last.

I would recommend this lens if you need the f/1.4 capabilities, are looking for a top quality lens, and can afford the investment. It will help you get shots that would otherwise be missed.

-Dan Doucette
www.infotography.com

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan Doucette to your Buddy List
Per Zangenberg

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Dec 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 1.4 aparture is sooooo sweet!, you can almost shot in total darknes!, good build
Cons:
Not really sharp until f/2, wich is very disapointing since I bought it to use wide open. At f/1.4 it is soft and "dreamy", but for smaller pictures it apears sharp.

I wanted a low-light lense and after reading so high praise I bought a used 35L. Unfortunatly it is quite soft below f2. Also on 5D the 35mm FOV is not relly that great IMO. I am looking to trade it for a 24L instead since I often want more FOV.

Dec 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Per Zangenberg to your Buddy List
markle

Registered: Jan 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: pictures
Cons:
not sharp enough @1.4 (and 1.4 only)

this lens will really make a difference. In any picture. I'm not going to repeat what others said because we all know how good this lens can be.

I use it mainly on a 1Ds but on the 40D that I just bought gives amazing results as well : different but still great (given the different "view")

now this is the first lens that made me rethink about the crop factor: on a FF camera you tend to get closer adding the "wide effect" to the amazing contrast sharpness and colors. But on a 40D I tend to step back a little. It becomes a different lens on a 40D.

The details are really "touchable". The images are never "ordinary": the color impact is impressive, the scene becomes a 3D scene. Not "fiction" but close Smile

The Autofocus needs attention. This lens is not to be used as a zoom: you really need to point, lock, evaluate the scene, lock again if needed and shoot.

I like to think that this lens really wants photographers who know what they are doing ... (and that will put me out of the category immediately) LOL

careful at 1.4. but at 1.6 the lens is already up there.. within the best.

Nov 23, 2007