Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

218 491381 Sep 3, 2014
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63°
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

gordon l

Registered: Aug 17, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful color, extremely sharp, fast focusing
Cons:

This is a spectacular lens. Having used zoom lenses most of my life, I enjoyed and was challenged by using a prime lens. This lens is wonderful to use. I keep it on my camera for day-to-day shooting, most situations. Although I am comfortable using a flash, this lens lets me shoot without a flash in many situations and I can get great results. Extremely bright image in the viewfinder makes focusing easy.
I know many people have said this before and it sounds like a cliché, but my zoom lens is now gathering dust. I like shooting with this lens so much. Highly recommended.

Feb 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gordon l to your Buddy List
JHaring

Registered: Feb 14, 2006
Review Date: Feb 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Just a very, very good lens. Very usable wide open.
Cons:
Not really a con, but this lens is banal on a 1.6x crop.

I shot a lot of low-light pictures with this lens of which people said: wow, how do you do this without a flash? So sharp, so clear, so real.

But with my 20D/1.6x crop camera, I'm not very passionate about this lens. It comes down to the "banal" 50mm focal length, and it's just a bit too banal for my taste. Of course it's not really a 50mm (distance between objects etc.) but still it's not a very exciting lens on a 1.6x crop camera. This is the one that I would like to use on a FF.

Nevertheless, it offers sometimes amazing sharpness and detail, wide open (almost the only way I use it).

Feb 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JHaring to your Buddy List
dmcharg

Registered: Nov 30, 2003
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, Contrast, Sharpness etc its got it all. Having a really fast prime opens up a whole new world and having 1.4 is just wonderful and its sharp!
Cons:
Its not cheap.

This is a wonderful lens. The color, contrast, sharpness is excellent. Its not a small lens especially when you put on the hood but its definetly worth the $/£'s. Whilst it might not be a flexible as something like the 24-70 2.8 having F1.4 makes it flexible in other ways. If you can afford it and are looking for something in the 35mm range then its kind of hard to beat it. This lens along with my 135 F2 will be with me for a long long time to come.

Cheers
David.

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dmcharg to your Buddy List
chrisrstout

Registered: Dec 27, 2004
Review Date: Jan 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,007.10 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unbelievably sharp, excellent build quality, has to be one of Canon's best lenses!
Cons:
I guess the price could be a negative aspect, but then again, you get what you pay for.

I was at a toss-up between the 35f/1.4L and either a 24-105 f/4L IS, or the 24-70 f/2.8L. I ended up deciding on the prime for the fact of I wanted something that was going to make me take a good look at the scene "before" pressing the shutter button. I will say the convenience of a zoom lens is very nice though. I can say, regardless if I end up with a fast mid-range zoom later on, this is one lens that would not be leaving my bag. It's amazingly sharp even wide open at f/1.4. This, paired with my 85mm f/1.8 makes for a nice setup on the short to short-tele range. I had thought about adding the 135 f/2L to this, but it would be a tough decision between that and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS. Anyways, if you're looking for a superfast, super sharp lens in this focal length, this is the only way to go!

Jan 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chrisrstout to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very good image quality, robust build.
Cons:
Large and heavy

I wanted to be blown away by this lens, based on all the reivews I had read stating superior resolution and contarst. When the 1st copy I bought didn't live up to expectations, I sent it back and bought another. It is a competent perfromer, no doubt, but it is not the sharpest lens in my collection. It skews toward a warmer color than other L lenses I own. At 1.4 it is soft at corners and just accepatble at center. It improves as it is stopped down, by f4 it matches, but does not exceed the resolution of my stellar 24-104mm f4. My 24mm f1.4 beats the 35mm f1.4 by far, at every aperture. The 35 beats the 50mm f1.4 by about the same margin. A very good lens and I'm keeping it as it fills a needed gap for very low light work where the 24 is too wide and 85 is too tight. 5D, raw.

Jan 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
Geert Soenens

Registered: Jul 25, 2003
Review Date: Jan 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Together with my 135mm F2 L USM and 300mm F2,8 L USM the best lens i have. Incredibly sharp! As scharp as some Leica lenses i have. A keeper. Much better on 35mm then my zoom 17-40mm F4 L USM! Great lens in low light! Use it on my 5D now:) Waw! If you have the money for it, well then buy it very soon.

Jan 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Geert Soenens to your Buddy List
vbourrut

Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good image quality, very fast and accurate AF. nice bokeh
Cons:
Very expensive, build is not as good as for the 17-40mm

I think everything has already been said, hence I prefer to send 2 pictures in full format, one @ 1.4, the other @ 2.8.
The body was the 1D Mark 2. Converted from raw with EOS viewer utility, and saved to jpg in PS. No post processing. You can add some USM filter on them.

Hope this helps :-)

Best regards,

Vincent

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vbourrut to your Buddy List
LMCasey

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good and useable at 1.4. Excellent from f2 on. Beautiful contrast, color sharpness from edge to edge.
Cons:
Expensive

There is a reason this lens has such a good reputation, it really doesn't have a major weakness. You do pay for the quality though.

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMCasey to your Buddy List
weissj

Registered: Aug 24, 2005
Review Date: Nov 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fastest lens i've ever used, great focusing, creamy bokeh, perfect size/weight, great build quality, sharp
Cons:
fair amount of fringing, a little pricey

I am by no means a professional photographer, but my prime lineup is now complete with the arrival of this lens.

This lens is incredible. I sold my 24-70L for it and am already glad I did. The focal length on my 1.6x is great, and it's size/weight are far far far more amazing then the 24-70L ever was.

Shooting with the lens is a dream. It's autofocus is quick, the wide aperture sucks light in, and the pictures are really sharp, especially once you hit f/4 and up.

The only downside I've noticed is a decent amount of fringing in a number of photos. Granted they were taken in less then ideal situations, I still wish there had been a little less CA.

All in all, this lens is as good as its reputation make it seem.

I highly recommend this lens.

Nov 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add weissj to your Buddy List
MarcusG

Registered: Sep 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great for low light, super sharp, rich colors, nice bokeh, nice skin tones
Cons:
none discovered yet

I don't consider myself to be a professional photographer although I do make money from some of my photo shoots. I guess you could say I am a serious amateur who is learning as I go and I have a growing client base of satisfied customers who have been great at referring me to their friends. Maybe one day I can quit my day job. ~ha ha~

At this time in my paid work I mainly shoot female erotic dancers indoors for their promo material. Only some of the shots are posed and other shots are attempted using a camera hand held while the dancer is moving about in her routine. For this reason I have chosen to try and light up the room with lots continuous lighting. My lighting is not exactly high end equipment so I have always struggled with getting enough light to allow for decent DOF and still have a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. Even with 1500 watts of lighting I was struggling with freezing the action at times. Sometimes the whole photo might look great except the hand or foot might be blurred, etc. Of course if the shots were posed it was never a problem but I really like grabbing those sweet action shots with great facial expressions and the wild hair and costumes flowing.

Previously I only had lenses with a maximum 2.8 aperture and I was struggling on the action shots. Getting this EF 35L 1.4 has really made a HUGE difference. I got the lense four days ago and took a chance using it for a shoot yesterday. I couldn't believe the high percentage of shots that turned out. The color, the detail, the skin tones were all beautiful. It was able to freeze the action and the photos had a look to them that was hard to explain. Almost creamy and three dimensional yet extremely sharp and vivid colors. The model was blown away with the quality and I believe this lense will play a role in me getting more work of this nature. When I think of all the frustration I was going through in previous photo shoots, this lense is worth every penny I paid for it. It just sucks up the light and gives you amazing photos.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS LENSE.

I should also mention I use a Canon 20D

Nov 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MarcusG to your Buddy List
Thouse

Registered: Aug 3, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, contrast, colours, light-weight, perfect FoV on my 1.3X crop camera!!
Cons:
None!

Great lens! Have used this from portraits to landscape shots and it never fails to impress. Colours are outstanding and the sharpness is top-notch!!

Nov 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Thouse to your Buddy List
GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Nov 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Excellent built quality.
Cons:
Heavy for a prime.

I really wanted to like this lens, but finally sold it for 50 1.4.
It is heavy for a wide prime. Most importantly, its performance at 1.4 was just okay. Its bokeh-wow factor is also much lower than 85L and 200 1.8
For over 1K, I think, there are other options.

Nov 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GOVA to your Buddy List
Phast1

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Posts: 2082
Review Date: Oct 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Clean, sharp edge to edge. Low light ability.
Cons:
none found

I'll spare the technical jargon for those better equiped to tell you about it. I've owned this lens for 2 weeks now. At first I wasn't too impressed with it. It wasn't bad at all but there's alot of hype over this lens so anything below super-duper fantastic right off the bat is a letdown.

After using the 35L in numerous situations and applications I am now convinced it is indeed super-duper. I've just finished printing a stitched pano taken with this lens. Wow, very sharp. Compared to my now sold 24-70, 17-40 lenses, this baby is noticeably sharper, very contrasty, and color is defined ummm well... super-duper!

I have never been this floored by sharpness before, especially at this FL. Had I paid more $ for this lens I'd still be pleased.
It delivers!

Phast1

Oct 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Phast1 to your Buddy List
vonWerner

Registered: Mar 16, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: When I use this lens, I frequently have to check the Photoshop "History" box to see if I've already used curves and sharpening... invariably I find that I'm looking at an unmodified image. Wow!
Cons:
Slight chromatic aberration wide open, but easily correctable during RAW conversion.

I sold one of these last year in a moment of insane "consolidation" thinking. Regretted it instantly, and have now purchased a new one.

If I were still a working pro, I would probably use a 24-70L...

But, while great zooms can produce many "excellent images", great primes like the 35 1.4L can produce a few "great images". I used to be after the former... but, now I can afford to strive for the latter.

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vonWerner to your Buddy List
AHAB

Registered: Jun 30, 2003
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is an amazing lens, it is far and away better than my 24 - 70 2.8... I know, I know, you are probabley saying of course it is, but I loved my 24 - 70 it has helped me produce some absolutely gorgeous wedding images, now that I have used the 35 1.4 I may not be able to go back to zooms. If you are thinking about it buy it you will have no regrets. Tack sharp. This is in the same outstanding class as the 85 1.2 and the 135 2.0.
Cons:
Price well, You get what you pay for.

Absolutely gorgeous, when you look at the images on your computer screen you can't help but zoom up to 200, 300 and up to 400% just to see the amazing detail this lens produces.
I am in awe of what this lens is capable of doing for my work... it makes me look good!
This lens is World Class.
If your reading this it is probably because you are thinking about buying this stunning lens well save up your money and get it.
Good luck, I hope this has helped you make up your mind!
AHAB (you know, the slightly obsessive compulsive guy on the boat)

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AHAB to your Buddy List
KP82

Registered: Jun 22, 2005
Review Date: Sep 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent color, contrast and sharpness; Nice build; relatively lightweight
Cons:
Slight focus inconsisteny at 1.4 on budget SLR like my 350D; Lens barrel surface finish prone to fingerprints

Excellent color, contrast rendition; Very sharp at the centre, and corner sharpness gets very good from f2; Good bokeh though not as good as my 135/2L; Relatively lightweight compared to other L's;

Slight focus inconsistency(front focus between 1mm to 4mm) at f1.4 with my 350D, not sure if it's the lens or the body but my other lenses do not have focus problems. The barrel surface finish is different from my other two L's, it is more prone to fingerprints.

Sep 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KP82 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM