Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 AT-X 828 AF PRO

19 178916 Mar 11, 2015
7.9
atx828afpro

This workhorse lens can be counted on to perform exceptionally under a wide range of photographic conditions. Thousands of photographers world-wide have come to rely on this sturdy professional optic.

Popular with wild-life photographers because of itís durability and proven optical design, the AT-X 828 AF PRO has been in been in Tokinaís AT-X series since its inception and has evolved through several generations. The unique floating element system focuses two different element groups providing faster AF speed and uniformly high image quality from close focus to infinity.

These tested razor sharp optics, which use SD glass to eliminate chromatic aberrations, are housed in a set of all metal, precision-milled and fitted lens barrels that have been hard coated to improve there mechanical performance and longevity. Tokinaís Focus Clutch Mechanism is incorporated for a faster auto focus and smoothly damped manual focus movement.

Page:  1 · 2
Hunter58

Registered: Oct 16, 2004
Review Date: May 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very well built. f/2.8 does quite well in low light.
Cons:
Heavy. Focus a little slow, not bad but slower than my USM lenses.

I bought this lens new.

I really like this lens. It's very well made but It's heavy. I've had good results in low lighting at 2.8. It focuses a little slow but it does focus well. The focus clutch mechanisim is tricky.

You can shift to manual focus with the clutch but unless you turn off the AF switch it will continue to try to focus while you're doing it manually. Sometimes this is good when you want to help the AF but sometimes it can mess up what you're trying to do. If you want just MF you need to turn the switch off and pull the clutch, two steps. That's about the only fault that bothers me.

May 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hunter58 to your Buddy List
Sir Maxwell

Registered: Feb 2, 2005
Review Date: May 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $355.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank - metal body, durable finish. Internal focus and internal zoom - lenth does not increase with zoom action. Non-rotating front element -
Cons:
No AF motor built in. Not a big draw back.

I shoot professionally - bought the lens for wedding candids. Excellent color and sharpness at 2.8 (constant).

Heavy lens, but balances well on D100's with grip or D1/D2 camera's - really need the larger bodies to offset the weight of the lens.

This is my first Tokina lens - by the results I have had, it wont be my last.

Highly recommended.

May 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sir Maxwell to your Buddy List
BobC

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Review Date: Jan 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Sharp images, fast f-stop.
Cons:
Slow autofocus, noisy.

I purchased this lens used. I bought it because it is a f/2.8 which I wanted for low light and depth of field. It is not a bad lens, there are just better ones I think. It all comes down to how much you can afford. Sure, we would all love to own the very best, but you make choice based on your finances. When I can, I will upgrade this lens, but for now, I will keep it.

Jan 28, 2005