Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

90 274844 Apr 29, 2013
8.3
18-50f28

EX lens series denotes excellence of engineering and new technology.
Compact and lightweight zoom despite large F2.8 aperture.
Excellent correction for various types of aberration provided by one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element and two aspherical lenses.
Super Multi Layer (SML) coating reduces flare and ghosting from which digital cameras tend to suffer.
F2.8 large aperture standard zoom lens designed specially for use with digital SLR cameras.

The characteristics of digital SLR cameras were taken into consideration when designing the lens power layout. The new advanced lens design corrects various aberrations. This lens provides the utmost correction against lateral chromatic aberration which is a serious problem for digital SLR cameras.

This lens is specially coated to get the best color balance whilst cutting down flare and ghost caused by reflections from the digital image sensor and lens. It has excellent correction for vignetting and superior peripheral brightness is ensured.

A Special Low Dispersion (SLD) lens and two aspherical lens elements provide excellent correction for all types of aberrations. The design produces a compact and lightweight, yet robust, construction with an overall length of 84.1mm (3.3in.) and maximum diameter of 74.1mm (2.9in.) and weight of 445g (15.6oz).

This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 28cm (11in.). It is equipped with inner focusing system. The non-rotating front lens element makes the lens suitable for using its petal-type lens hood and circular polarizing filters.

It is an ideal large aperture standard zoom lens for digital SLR cameras featuring APS-C size image sensor.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6

mediclavina

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 19, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Built, F/2.8 across the zoom range, almost no fringing, usable for portrait
Cons:
Front focusing, AF hunts in low light and when contrast is low, no full-time manual focusing, focus ring rotates in AF mode, vignetting at widest end of the zoom, not as sharp as expected

This is the first lens I purchased for my very first (D)SLR....a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I did not buy the 18-55mm kit lens for the XT due to bad feedbacks from many users. Decided to get the Sigma because of good reviews I've read about it, and because of the impressive specs. But was not satisfied with the performance I've been getting from it. This lens is notorious for front-focusing. When I got my Canon 85 F/1.8, I quickly noticed the big differences. I realized how noisy, slow and inaccurate the Sigma AF is compared to the Canon lens (which costs only $339). The Sigma focus ring rotates in AF mode. I find this annoying because there's not much room to hold the lens on comfortably while I try to avoid holding on the focus ring. Vignetting is very noticeable at wide end of the zoom. The good thing about this lens is it's not prone to CA or PF. It's also usable for portrait shots because of the consistent F/2.8 across the zoom range...but better to use manual focus because front-focusing in AF mode could ruin the shots.

Apr 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mediclavina to your Buddy List
vesalius01

Registered: Mar 20, 2005
Review Date: Apr 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, useable 2.8 throughout range, sharp, nice finish
Cons:
no full time manual focus, slightly soft at edges wide open

I shoot with a 300D and was looking to upgrade my lens kit (Canon EF-S 18-55). I found the lens kit is slow and I don't like how the front element rotates with focusing as I use the Conkin filter system.

I purchased this lens after reading many reviews. My choices were really between the Sigma, and the Canon 17-40 f4L and the Tamron 17-35. I finally went with the Sigma for a few reasons. Firstly, is well priced relative to the Canon and results on optical quality seem relatively close. The reason I chose the Sigma over the Tamron was range. The 18-50 is a great walkaround lens particularly when I'm not carrying my 28-135.

After comparing test shots between the Canon 18-55 EFS and the Sigma, here are a few of my conclusions:

1) I was quite surprised how well the Canon stacks up actually. Comparing shot for shot at equal apertures and focal length, the lenses were very close in terms of sharpness.

2) The Sigma 18-50 is very usable even at 2.8, giving it a clear advantage.

3) The Sigma is a "warmer" lens

4) The Sigma feels very well built and is nicely finished.

All said, I'm very impressed with the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. Hopefully I'll post some pics soon enough.

Apr 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vesalius01 to your Buddy List
coolbobo

Registered: Mar 5, 2005
Review Date: Mar 8, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Compact size; F2.8; less expensive than L
Cons:
Lacks Full Time Manual Focus

I'm using this lens on a Canon 300D. I really wanted to like the lens, but in lower light levels the AF does have some difficulty in focusing correctly, even though the camera focus indicator shows the lens is properly focused.

In bright conditions using F5.6 or higher, the lens is very sharp. That said there is a slight front focus issue, which is more noticable on close-ups using F2.8.

I ended up buying the EFS 17-85 F4-5.6 IS which is now on my camera most of the time.

Mar 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coolbobo to your Buddy List
fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Feb 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant f2.8, lightweight, good EX build, accurate AF, excellent walk around range on a 1.6x SLR, sharp wide open, can't ask for much more
Cons:
No HSM (though the AF speed is good and the noise quite acceptable)

I was actually surprised at this len's performance. It renders nice colors/contrast, excellent sharpness even wide open, focuses well, and the close 11" focusing distance is a boon. Both DC lenses I have (18-125 also) have delivered beyond my expectations. I highly commend this lens.

Some test shots comparing it to other Sigma favorites:

Feb 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
GungaDin

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, tack-sharp fully opened, compact
Cons:
AF not up to USM speed

A truly amazing lens that works flawlessly with my Canon dRebel and my 20D. Stunningly sharp at f:2.8, stopping down a little brings up corner sharpness to "L" level and way beyond most other "prosumer" zooms, can almost match prime lens quality at 50mm. AF is a tad noisier and slower than "true" Canon ring USM. An outstanding lens and a bargain.

Feb 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GungaDin to your Buddy List
richyoung

Registered: Nov 1, 2002
Review Date: Feb 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: F2.8, price, size, weight
Cons:

It has quickly become the lens that is always on my camera. I also plan on buying the Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX DC replacing my Canon 50mm 1.8. I am also going to delay upgrading my sports lens hoping that Sigma will build a 2.8 EX DC version such as a 70-200 HSM or better.

Feb 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richyoung to your Buddy List
Drioannis

Registered: Nov 22, 2004
Location: Greece
Review Date: Feb 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast and not noisy focus,build quality,f/2.8,sharpness(even at f2.8),weight
Cons:
vighetting at 2.8(easy corected),warmer colors

I bought this lens 3 months ago.I am a really happy for the $$$ that I paid for this very good lens.I had very good samples with this lens.If I had the $$$ I would have gone for the Canon 16-35L f/2.8(2.8 is important for me).

Feb 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Drioannis to your Buddy List
me-109

Registered: May 8, 2004
Review Date: Feb 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrast, size, f/2.8, fast AF
Cons:
no HSM, plastic fantastic;)

Good quality and good price:)

Feb 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add me-109 to your Buddy List
CanonB

Registered: Jan 6, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, light, F2.8, Sharp , Price , Warranty
Cons:
Not always focus where it should be. Very sharp only at F4+

I took a lot of amazing pictures with this lens. If you cant afford the 17-40 L, this is the lens you need.

(Like the 17-40 , a hood and a pouch are included with this lens).

Feb 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CanonB to your Buddy List
jmardy

Registered: Dec 9, 2004
Review Date: Jan 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great performance for the money and size. F/2.8. Fast focus. VERY sharp stopped down.
Cons:
My first copy was soft on one side, Sigma repaired it under warranty and it was very good, though still a bit soft in the corners wide open.

I bought this because I needed something faster than my Canon 17-40L. This lens performs very well but exhibits a fair amount of softness in the corners wide open. Color is a bit yellow compared to my Canon lenses which are more neutral or blue. Stopped down it is fabulous though, sharper than either of my Canon EF 28 and 50mm primes.
Speaking of 50mm, it is quite a bit wider at 50mm than my Canon EF 50 Mk1 1.8, I would guess more like 45mm.

Great replacement for the kit lens but if I had to choose between my 17-40L Canon and the Sigma, I'd still have to pick the Canon.

Jan 23, 2005