Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

90 273855 Apr 29, 2013
8.3
18-50f28

EX lens series denotes excellence of engineering and new technology.
Compact and lightweight zoom despite large F2.8 aperture.
Excellent correction for various types of aberration provided by one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element and two aspherical lenses.
Super Multi Layer (SML) coating reduces flare and ghosting from which digital cameras tend to suffer.
F2.8 large aperture standard zoom lens designed specially for use with digital SLR cameras.

The characteristics of digital SLR cameras were taken into consideration when designing the lens power layout. The new advanced lens design corrects various aberrations. This lens provides the utmost correction against lateral chromatic aberration which is a serious problem for digital SLR cameras.

This lens is specially coated to get the best color balance whilst cutting down flare and ghost caused by reflections from the digital image sensor and lens. It has excellent correction for vignetting and superior peripheral brightness is ensured.

A Special Low Dispersion (SLD) lens and two aspherical lens elements provide excellent correction for all types of aberrations. The design produces a compact and lightweight, yet robust, construction with an overall length of 84.1mm (3.3in.) and maximum diameter of 74.1mm (2.9in.) and weight of 445g (15.6oz).

This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 28cm (11in.). It is equipped with inner focusing system. The non-rotating front lens element makes the lens suitable for using its petal-type lens hood and circular polarizing filters.

It is an ideal large aperture standard zoom lens for digital SLR cameras featuring APS-C size image sensor.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Scandic24

Registered: Jul 29, 2005
Review Date: Jul 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, f2.8, size, solid built, price, hood and case included.
Cons:
Not a DG lens, No HSM, Only f22, AF-M switch could be better, my lens has AF problems.

This is my favourite "walk-around" lens on my Canon 20D.
Enough wide angle (18mm=28.8mm) and good full zoom (50mm=80mm) - an extra 10 or 15 mm on the top would have been even nicer.

f2.8 is excellent, just what I need.
Smallest aperture is f22 (why not f32, Sigma?).

Internal focusing makes it possible to use POL filters.

Closest focus distance - 28 cm.

Solid look n' feel (that goes for all EX lenses from Sigma). Fairly light. Hood fits perfect, however if you want to use the lens cap you'll need to un-screw the hood first because it's not so easy to fit the cap with the hood mounted...Personally I always use a UV or skylight filter on my lens and don't bother to use the cap. The hood itself also provides som extra protection to the lens.

The AF-M switch could have been in a better location. IMO

I don't think that Sigmas EX (Pro) series are as dust and moist proof as the Canon L lenses.

Ths lens is a DC lens, it's only for APS format digital cameras and therefore will not work on a full format analog camera. This is the reason why I don't give this lens a 10 point overall rating.

My lens have some AF problem:
I select one-spot focusing on the 20D and the lens will front-focus and correct-focus every alternate time I push the button!!
When I need to be fast, like point-n-shoot, I can never be sure wether the AF is correct or not and thats annoying.
I've sent it back for replacement and I really want the new one to be OK.
I know that there has been reports of issues regarding AF and Canon 20D but those issues have been solved from what some people say (hope it's true).

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Scandic24 to your Buddy List
JTitor

Registered: Jul 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Hood, F2.8 , sharp, nice colors, size, warranty and the price :)
Cons:
No HSM , no FTMF. Short range, would have prefer a 18-70.

I was looking for a wide angle zoom and the 17-40L was too short. Someone suggested me to try this lens, and since then , its almost always on my camera.

Of course its not as fast as a 17-40L but its not the same price ...

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JTitor to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Jul 29, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Price, f2.8, small and light, reasonable build quality.
Cons:
Consistently OOF

After ordering this lens twice (to get a good copy) and using 3 seperate bodies for testing, I found the AF to be off in 8 out of 10 shots.

Some shots are better than others and at close distances it does reasonably well. However, beyond about 10' to subject I could not achieve many accurately focused shots at all.

I would like this range (Canon offers nothing to compete in the fast zooms) but cannot live with the OOF.

Another one returned. Sad

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
neiltwo

Registered: Mar 3, 2003
Review Date: Jul 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I haven't actually purchased this lens yet, but based on the reviews I've seen here, will soon. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping some of the lens owners can answer. One, is the petal lens hood effective, and two, if a filter is added, should it be a thin one (available where)?

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neiltwo to your Buddy List
JohnJ80

Registered: May 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $414.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from center to edge, nice performance at f2.8 across range, faithful color reproduction, nice build, nice size.
Cons:

I really like this lens.

Focusing is spot on dead center when I tested this on my chart in good light at f2.8 on my 350D matching my Canon lenses for focus accuracy (tested against the 28-135 IS USM and the 70-200 F4L).

Shots are crisp, sharp, good color saturation and reproduction. Performance and shots at f2.8 have been nice and sharp too.

The size is nice and it fits well on the 350D, comes well to had for shooting. Heavy enough for a good build but not overly heavy or cumbersome to use. This thing has been hard to take off my camera since I got it - surprised me how often I reach for it.

From what I can tell, this lens pushes hard on 17-40L quality and is certainly worth a look since it is so much less expensive. I don't think you are giving up anything by getting this lens over the 17-40.

As far as comparing this to the kit lens from Canon (18-55) - there is no comparison. I mean NO comparison. Your 18-55 will be headed for eBay in a hurry after you use this lens.

Highly recommended.

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnJ80 to your Buddy List
udoo

Registered: Dec 16, 2003
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wideangle on my 10D with F2.8, Silent and smooth focusing, good colors, small size and weight.
Cons:
Not sharp through out the frame at 2.8, Really good after F8.

I love this lens and it tends to be on my camera all the time since I bought it. I always yearned for a fast wide angle lens and this lens fills my appetite. My old Canon 28-135 was too slow and at times not wide enough. This simply replaces my 28-135 for most part. I also love its size and weight. It is not too big for most of my journalistic shots.
All in all I would recommend anyone sitting on the sidelines for buying a wide-angle lens.

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add udoo to your Buddy List
mertmag

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $408.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Excellent contrast, Fast autofocus, Good Color, Low Weight, Best wide to medium zoom for the money. Images on par with Canon L lens at one third the price. Good warranty.
Cons:
Autofocus makes a little noise. (very little) First lenses produced had focus problems with the 20D but it was fixed. NO HSM no full time manual focus.

This is the best lens for the money I have owned. It is sharp. I have to say it is as sharp as the Canon 24-70L that I owned. I have tried so many lenses in the range of this one and nothing comes close to it in sharpness, contrast and rich color. The first run of these lenses had a focus problem with the 20D so I sold it.

I purchased a Canon 24-70L and later sold it. I got tired of the weight. It is just too heavy to leave hanging on your neck. After trying several other lenses I went back to the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8

The focus is not as fast as the Canon 24-70L but it's not that much slower. Besides you’re not going to photograph sports with an 18-50mm lens. The auto focus is not silent but it makes a lot less noise than the shutter on my 20D.

The manual focus is smooth and the lens is as light as a feather. This is the perfect walk around lens. And the price is cheap for a lens of this quality.

Jul 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mertmag to your Buddy List
evanbenlian

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Jul 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $540.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast lens 2.8 ,focuses fast ,sharp,good colors and contrast ,good build quality .
Cons:
not USM ..little noisy ..but nothing to worry about .

Jul 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add evanbenlian to your Buddy List
slrbase

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Location: Luxembourg
Review Date: Jul 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: nice, compact, great aperture 2.8 lense!, sharp
Cons:
none, sometimes have some lensflare

I used to own the EF-S 18-50mm kit lens, but sold it and needed a replacement. As I love wide-angle shots I wanted a minimum of 18mm. This is THE lens for that. Love to shoot portraits with sharp foreground and soft background at 2.8.
Kit lens is great, this one is a lot better! This is the ultimate walk-around lens.

I have not noticed any problems with this lens, it also focuses well, is fast enough and produces nice warm colored images.

Some examples:

Jul 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slrbase to your Buddy List
challaday

Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Review Date: Jun 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and a very useful focal range. Manual focus ring has just the right feel.
Cons:
Zoom ring is a inconsistent in "resistance" through its turn. Some parts are easy and others are harder.

I purchased this lens to replace the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens. There is absolutely no comparison between these two lenses. I rarely have to use USM or other sharpening, and if I do it usually just a slight amount on a shot at f2.8.

The inconsistency of the resistance of the zoom ring is the only negative thing I've found.

This lens is the closest thing to my ultimate wishlist zoom for "walking around." I really want about 17mm to 85mm f2.8. As far as I know, no such beast exists.

Jun 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add challaday to your Buddy List
klam

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast constant aperture F/2.8 across entire 18-50mm focal range, excellent lens sharpness on par with EF 17-40L, cheaper price than the EF 17-40L, fantastic finish and build, comes with a lens case and hood, relatively cheap compared to lenses of similar quality.
Cons:
Slightly warm colours characteristic of Sigma lenses, only a EF-S style mount, so this lens will not be compatible with traditional EF-only mount cameras, edge softness on one side only.

Bought this lens recently and have been pretty impressed with it. I am using it with a APS-C sized Canon dSLR (Rebel XT/350D) and it gives me wide enough angles for the 1.6X cropping factor.

Optically this lens is sharp and comparable to the EF 17-40L from Canon. Reviews on the Internet have been favorable when this lens has been compared to the popular EF 17-40L. Aperture speed is great, and the lens can be used at F/2.8, though it is improved as it is stopped down.

Sigma is known to have warmer colours and this shows in the photos. It is a slight difference but noticeable.

Edge sharpness has been one disappointing area with this lens though. For some strange reason, the left side of photos, right in the corners seems quite unsharp. The centre of photos are sharp, and the right side is relatively sharp too. This problem is mostly present when the lens is wide open.

Build quality is fantastic. I love the material that Sigma uses on their EX lenses. It is sort of rubberized, but not. The only unfortunate part is the small speckle shimmer in the otherwise beautiful black material.

Zoom and focus rings are smooth, but the focus action is not quiet. The action is decisive and quick, though not to the standards of Canon's USM (or Sigma's HSM for that matter).

The lens is pricey, but considering the class of lens it is, it can be considered by some as a good deal. It is clearly cheaper than the EF 17-40L, its most direct competitor, but offers a full stop quicker aperture, slightly wider focal range, smaller and lighter size.

Speaking of size, I like the size of this lens. It is not too heavy or long, about 80% of my 28-135mm IS lens.

For the total price, you also get the lens hood and a ballistic nylon Sigma carrying case.

The filter size is 67mm, which is a fairly popular size and not too big (and expensive).

Apparently, I've read one report of this lens having difficulty with Canon EOS cameras and external flash. The focus assist light does not work properly.

Jun 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add klam to your Buddy List
phidong

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp all the way to corners, peppy focus (but not laser quick), great build quality, reasonable front filter size, affordable
Cons:
DC lens, vignettes wide open on wide end (not a lot), requires thin filters

This is an amazing lens, and a winner in the price column by all means. The competition is double the price (16-35 f/2.8, etc.). This has a better range (longer) and is incredibly sharp.

Jun 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phidong to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: May 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A superb Lens in just about every respect. VERY useable wide open.
Cons:
Perhaps just a tad too much CA @ 18mm (?)

This really is a great Lens...Sharpness, contrast, realistic 'vivid' colours, fast, quiet and accurate focusing. This one has it all.

This Lens has what I like to call the "L" factor. Images have that eye-popping quality and sharpness of Canon's L Lenses.

One thing that did bother me at first was CA at 18mm. After having shot 500+ shots though, it really isn't bad at all; nothing like as bad as the 18-55mm 'kit' Lens - You really have to look for it. Given the great quality everywhere else, I can definitely live with it. And besides, find me a Lens that has none at 18mm!

Some have been comparing this to the 18-55mm 'kit' Lens. NO COMPARISON, full stop.

Bottom line: If you're thinking of buying the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L or similar, you should definitely give this Lens a try first. It is 95% the quality at 1/3rd the price + you get an extra 15mm at the long end to boot! Just make sure to buy it from somewhere with at least a 7 day return policy just in case you get a bad copy.

A very definite 10/10.

May 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
donutley

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: May 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, lightweight, durable, fast, sharp. Weighted well on a 20D. Great walkaround lens. Bang-for-the-buck. Adds a usable consistent 2.8
Cons:
Zoom ring's a bit scratchy--but no big deal.

After spending time with the Canon 17-40/4L and the Tamron 17-35/2.8-4, the Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX DC is the best bargain. Adding the consistent 2.8 in such a light lens makes for a great walk-around lens and also provides a wonderful addition to a wedding/event setup, providing a fast wide sharp wide angle zoom. This is one of those lenses that compares well technically with its competitors, but shines most in simple every-day handling. It just feels good and looks good on a 20D. After suffering through L fever and getting on and off the current Tamron bandwagon, I have found that this lens and the Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX HSM are my two favorite lenses. (They just may end up being all I need.)

May 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add donutley to your Buddy List
joe mama

Registered: Oct 3, 2003
Review Date: May 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Range, Size/Weight
Cons:
EF-S, vignettes until f / 4, no HSM (although its AF is very quick and pretty silent), not f / 2, AF issues with external flash and AF assist lamp

It's my only zoom. That says it all right there. Let me be more specific: as of now, here are my other lenses:

35 / 1.4L, 60 / 2.8 macro, 85 / 1.8, 135 / 2L, 200 / 2.8L.

I know what quality glass is, and this lens belongs in the line-up.

What really blows me away is that such an obviously good lens is made by Sigma and Canon has no answer for it -- amazing!

I do wish it had HSM, despite the fast that it focuses very quickly, 'cause HSM is much better for servo mode. I also wish it were f / 2 even though that would double the size and cost. An f / 2 zoom would be so, so, so very useful to me! I mean, where are the EF-S f / 2 lenses? I was also very disappointed that Canon's EF-S 60 / 2.8 macro was not f / 2. But, that's just me, I guess!

It's important to note that this lens does not AF properly with the AF assist lamp and an external flash on a 20D (I think it works on a 300D, don't know about the 350D). However, supposedly Sigma can rechip it and fix that. In fact, my lens is at Sigma as I type for this exact reason. However, I rarely use flash, so it was never a major issue with me.

Anyway, here's my test of the lens: http://www.pbase.com/joemama/sigma_1850__28. While you're browsing those images, don't forget to keep asking yourself why you don't have that lens yet! : )

May 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joe mama to your Buddy List
since1968

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Apr 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $449.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: constant f/2.8, outstanding center sharpness, build
Cons:
slow to focus, strange blue channel behavior in certain light (see review), soft at edges at 18mm

I bought this lens for my Nikon D70 as a replacement for the 18-70mm variable aperture kit lens (which I didn't like very much). For a lens in its price range I think it performs well. If I had the budget, I would get the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX instead of this Sigma, but I don't think it's useful to compare these lenses because they have a 3x price differential.

Sharpness: With medium to bright light, the Sigma produces images that are breathtakingly sharp in the center. I've taken several images inside my apartment. We have a couple oriental rugs and the level of detail the Sigma captures is truly amazing; you can see the silk patterns even at 18mm from several feet away. BUT -- we also have several wall hangings with nice textures, and they turn to mush if they're close to the edges of the picture.

Focus speed and sound: Noisy, but not any noisier than my Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D. A bit slow in low light though; you'll sometimes find the Sigma hunting around, especially if you're moving from a focal point far away to one close by.

Vignetting: Only slight. I take mostly environmental portraits and street shots with this lens, so vignetting is not really an issue. I am not the kind of guy to stop down the camera and point it at a white wall to check vignetting.

Build: Heck, I like plastic. It feels well constructed. I like the amount of resistance in the zoom ring. I do not like the cheesy speckling effect though.

Quirks: In medium to low light, I get blue channel values that are substantially lower than they should be. I can't reproduce this every time, but I am sure it is the lens and not the camera or operator error. This can be corrected in Photoshop, but it is a nuisance.

Overall impression at 18mm: Sharp as a tack -- substantially sharper than the kit lens -- in the center of the image, especially if you stop down a bit. Mushy at the edges, but not so much that it bothers me.

Overall impression at 50mm: Good images, not as good as my Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, but still very nice.

I would recommend this lens as a replacement to the kit lens if you want it for walking around, environmental portraits, or street photography. If you need an architectural lens that's sharp from edge to edge, you might want to look elsewhere.

Apr 22, 2005