Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

90 274877 Apr 29, 2013
8.3
18-50f28

EX lens series denotes excellence of engineering and new technology.
Compact and lightweight zoom despite large F2.8 aperture.
Excellent correction for various types of aberration provided by one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element and two aspherical lenses.
Super Multi Layer (SML) coating reduces flare and ghosting from which digital cameras tend to suffer.
F2.8 large aperture standard zoom lens designed specially for use with digital SLR cameras.

The characteristics of digital SLR cameras were taken into consideration when designing the lens power layout. The new advanced lens design corrects various aberrations. This lens provides the utmost correction against lateral chromatic aberration which is a serious problem for digital SLR cameras.

This lens is specially coated to get the best color balance whilst cutting down flare and ghost caused by reflections from the digital image sensor and lens. It has excellent correction for vignetting and superior peripheral brightness is ensured.

A Special Low Dispersion (SLD) lens and two aspherical lens elements provide excellent correction for all types of aberrations. The design produces a compact and lightweight, yet robust, construction with an overall length of 84.1mm (3.3in.) and maximum diameter of 74.1mm (2.9in.) and weight of 445g (15.6oz).

This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 28cm (11in.). It is equipped with inner focusing system. The non-rotating front lens element makes the lens suitable for using its petal-type lens hood and circular polarizing filters.

It is an ideal large aperture standard zoom lens for digital SLR cameras featuring APS-C size image sensor.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

JohnClif

Registered: May 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, good flare control, fast-focusing, very sharp at all focal lengths.
Cons:
Small focusing ring makes it cumbersome to focus manually.

I picked the latest version of this lens (the DG Macro version) up to augment my Sigma 15-30 and 24-70 EX lenses, and to give me the capability, along with the 50-150/2.8 EX and a teleconverter, to cover a wide focal length range with just two lenses.

There is no comparison to Sigma's 18-50/3.5-4.5 DC kit lens; the 18-50/2.8 EX DG Macro blows the kit lens away in terms of image quality. Extremely sharp at 18mm and still very sharp at 50mm at f/4 and above. Autofocus is fast, and I didn't see any vignetting on my SD14's 1.7x crop factor sensor (nor did I expect to see any).

Highly recommended as a good all-around lens to keep on your dSLR, as a component of a high-quality travel lens collection, or just as a great telephoto zoom for portraiture, etc. I'd definitely recommend this lens and buy it again.

Aug 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JohnClif to your Buddy List
byteseller

Registered: Jun 18, 2003
Review Date: May 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Maybe this is not the place -- but shouldn't there be a separate entry for the EX Macro version of this lens?

May 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add byteseller to your Buddy List
DerekIz

Registered: Apr 1, 2007
Review Date: Apr 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Can't find anything good .
Cons:
Sigma color, slow focus, hunts too much and sounds so annoying, soft corner and edge, horrible BQ .

There is nothing good about this lens , it is simply the worst lens I ever owned along with the horrible Sigma 18-200.

The color of the lens is so bad ,has annoying color cast like urine color.

The Af is very bad , always hunts even in Sun light ............

Never buy any Sigma any more.

Canon , Tamron and tokina are all much better companies.

Apr 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DerekIz to your Buddy List
djinn

Registered: Jan 14, 2007
Review Date: Apr 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast focus. Close focus (almost Macro). Lightweight.
Cons:
Focus ring in the front; Zoom ring at the back. Noisey AF.

Note: I HAVE THE NEWER MACRO VERSION. The lens focuses very very close to the object (an inch away from the lens-front).

I was looking for a standard zoom with a constant f2.8 aperture to complement my Nikon 18-200mm VR for lowlight/indoor situations. I ended up getting the MACRO version of this lens after seeing this Pbase gallery:

I wasn't concerned about the AF issues reported earlier, as they seem to pertain to Canon mounts. This lens works just fine on my Nikon D200. It's noticeably lighter than the over-priced Nikon equivalent. Focus is fast, but noisey (This doesn't have Sigma's HSM motor). So, macro pics of insects might not be possible. The build is very good and it looks much better than the Nikon. It also comes with a lens pouch and hood. This is the perfect walk-around lens for a Nikon body for lowlight/indoor & evenings (I use the 18-200mm VR for outdoor, bright situations due to the longer range). Get this lens for your Nikon: You most likely won't be dissapointed!

Apr 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add djinn to your Buddy List
sirschuster

Registered: Jun 1, 2006
Review Date: Nov 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $390.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price. Overall build quality. Fast Quiet (yes it is!) focus. Focusing in low light. Very low color abberation, no halos.
Cons:
Camera shake w/ focus. Slightly soft. Not the best saturation.

I'm afraid I haven't got the best version of this lens, as the lens is a little softer than I'd want, and the color saturation is a little lacking. However, the softness is weak enough not to show up in a normal print, and the saturation is eassily fixed in photoshop as all the color data is properly there, just not quite popping. Decided not to try to get another copy out of fear of getting a worse version.

Noticed one strange thing color wise, seems to be blocking yellows a little bit as I have to add yellow and remove a little cyan to most pictures with this lens.

Build is extremly solid, altough cosmetically the EX paint job is peeling on the inferior portion of the zoom grip.

Focuses fast! I mean really fast, in poor light too. In fact, the damn thing so so excited to focus is yanks my hand a few cm's once in a while. It also has the tendency to focus not where I want it it to, but the focus is so fast I can refocus it as I want it almost instantly and still get the shot.

But of course, for the price, I still dont think you can get anything better.

Nov 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sirschuster to your Buddy List
Nick De Marco

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp and fast. Good price.
Cons:
Only for cropped sensors. Not quite enough range (at telephoto end)

A good lens for cropped sensor. I bought it to replace the Canon 17-85mm which I had in turn bought to replace the 350D kit lens. Its half the price of the 17-85, and although it obviously hs a smaller range it is more than twice as fats at f2.8. In my opinion it is also a better, sharper lens.

Having just bought the 5D I cannot use it anymore, but then the same is true of my 17-85.

Here is a gallery of pics taken with this lens:

Oct 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nick De Marco to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Good optical quality
Cons:
Focus problem

This was the first lens I bought for D-SLR (20D), it has focus problem and I have to zoom-in, focus, then zoom-out to get a clear shot. Too much for me, and I returned it.

The image quality when focus is very good, little better than my 17-85 IS. There is a obvious warmer color tone than Canon lenses, which I like it. The build is excellent, nice hood, the zoom feels like a Canon L lens.

In short, a great lens if you are lucky to have one that can focus.

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
normygordy

Registered: Aug 21, 2006
Review Date: Aug 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, light weight, great feel.
Cons:
Could do with HSM - hunts occasionally.

I originally bought a Sigma 18 - 125 to go with my Canon 10D - lovely to use but never got an image from it that I would call sharp. I really wanted the Canon 17 - 40 L but was unhappy with the short range, the f4 the weight, and the cost. The Sigma EX is great to use and does certainly produce those "sharp" images I never got with the original lens. I still greatly miss the range but I now have filled that gap with a Canon 70 - 200 f4 L which is just stunning. A great walkabout lens, until Canon give the 17 - 40L an upgrade.

Aug 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add normygordy to your Buddy List
nualln

Registered: Aug 4, 2006
Review Date: Aug 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Not too expensive for focal range and image quality. Light and small. 2.8.
Cons:
External focusing, lens cap is difficult to put on with lens hood. Plastic construction. Only works on digitals with 1.6x sensors.

I'm reviewing this lens with the previous reviews in mind. That saying, I wont bother you with the regular details.

I shoot weddings and live music, so a 2.8 or faster lens is a necessity. That was the main selling point for me. I've always liked sigma's build quality in relation to price.

I've also heard horror stories about sigma's quality control at the factory, but I've never had a problem with their stuff, and this is no exception.

I've never encountered the back focusing in real life. I dont shoot flowers close up or anything, so it's not a big deal to me. Many of the shots I take are at infinity anyway.

To combat the back focusing issue, I'll post direct tests. These are wide open at the max focal lengths.

At 50mm 2.8: Almost no backfocusing. The line is the main focus point, and it's on the front edge of the depth of field. Not really a big deal.

<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/nualln/lens%20test/sigmaat50mm.jpg">Focusing at 50mm</a>

At 18mm it's a worse, but not terrible. Give this sample a little more slack because I was shooting far away.
<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/nualln/lens%20test/sigmaat18mm.jpg">Focusing at 18mm</a>

Bottom line: This lens is pretty sharp at 2.8, and I dont have any problems with the focusing. Yes, there is a little back focus, but I dont regularly shoot pieces of paper with parallel lines. The effect is worse closer to the subject, but when I'm that close to something, I usually make sure it's in focus first. Be a smart photographer and think before you shoot. This lens is great.

Aug 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nualln to your Buddy List
goatee

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, constant aperture,, and image quality is great - it's a little soft wide open, but a touch of USM brings out masses of detail
Cons:
no HSM, no FTM, can be a little soft wide open (but see above)

I've owned this lens since last September, so 9 months or so now. It's a great lens and a handy range. For me, the popular 24/28/70/75 range is a little long - I prefer to have a bit more on the wide end, and I have my 85mm prime for when I want to go longer.

Sure it exhibits some CA, but this is correctable. It doesn't focus as fast or as quietly as USM / HSM lenses, but it's still really nippy, and not terribly loud.

Unless you *need* the weather sealing of the 17-40L, or the ability to use on a full frame camera, you're better off getting this Sigma, and using the money you saved to buy other glass - perhaps a nice prime.

Jun 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add goatee to your Buddy List
pap pap

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Apr 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $365.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Received this lens approx. 2 weeks ago and seems to be a very good lens. Well built I must have a good copy because pictures are crsytal clear.
Cons:

I like the lens and replaced the kit Nikkor 18-70 lens which I have for sale. I am having a situation which is mostly me. I have the lens mounted to a Nikon 70DS and when shooting on Auto or P the lens is at 2.8 throughout the zoom range. However when I put it on S or A priority it goes to 4.5 and I cannot seem to change it. Is anyone else having this problem or have a suggested as to what I am doing wrong.

Apr 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pap pap to your Buddy List
fozzybear1969

Registered: Oct 27, 2004
Review Date: Apr 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f2.8, sharp, good contrtast and colours, light weight, wide angle zoom with a nice range, price, nice build, 7 year Canadian Warrenty, free hood and case.
Cons:
Distortion at 24mm and wider, noisey focusing, hard to get lens cap off with hood on.

Great lens from Sigma but I am waiting to see the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS EF-S.

Apr 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fozzybear1969 to your Buddy List
pap pap

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Mar 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Rather than a post this is a question and I may be in the wrong place to do this so forgive me. I have the Nikon 70Ds with the kit lens 18-70. I want to sell the lens and even through it seems to be a good lens I have been looking at the Sigma 18-50 2.8 which I believe based on what I have read would suit my needs. However since Tamron is ready to release the 17-50 2.8 does anyone have an opinion if I should wait. I am also purchasing the Sigma 20-200 2.8.

Mar 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pap pap to your Buddy List
canonlight

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 11, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I don't see an "edit" button for these reviews, so excuse my posting this. In my "pros" and "cons" I got the 1850 and 2460 mixed up. Regardless, both are fine lenses.

Mar 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonlight to your Buddy List
canonlight

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant f2.8 zoom, Good size, Fairly sharp wide open, 24mm better starting FL than 28mm for walkaround, Good contrast reproduction, EX finish and build.
Cons:
Some copies tend to have front-focus problems, CA fairly evident at or near wide open, 24-60mm range a bit limited, no HSM/FTM.
Mar 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonlight to your Buddy List
prof_fate

Registered: Dec 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Wide angle and speed, overal range, sharpness at f5.6 and up.
Cons:
a bit soft below f3.5 or 4. not as accurate in low light to focus as some of my other lenses (on my 300D)

This was my first 'good' lens. I bought it for the 2.8 aperture, 18mm wideness, and 50 length. The other lens I considred was the canon 17-40 4L. The Sigma won out for lower price, longer range, faster optics and the reviews I could find said it was favorable in optical quality to the canon.

After 10 months of use I feel middling about it - it is a bit soft below f4, so i try to never use it below 3.5 - tough, as this is the lens i use in low light (weddings, museums, indoors in general)

I like the color and contrast, speed of focus is acceptable, but a times it seems a bit off - not sure if that is the softness i see or i am just working in too low a light for good focus on my 300D.

I may replace this once I get my 30D - the 30D is supposed to kick in extra sensors for focsuing with 2.8 lenses - we'll see. I'm interested to see the new tamron 17-50 2.8 SP lens.

Price wise I got mine new of ebay for $440. About $80 more than I think it's worth.

Mar 10, 2006