Canon EF 28mm f/2.8

46 172912 Sep 26, 2012
7.9
ef28mmf_28_1_

Highly portable wide-angle lens with a good price-to-performance ratio. Its light weight of 6.5 oz. (185g) makes it ideal as your standard wide-angle lens. The high-precision aspherical lens minimizes distortion and other aberrations for sharp and high-contrast images.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

soboyle

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $169.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Price
Cons:
Not as sharp as my 17-40 zoom, disappointing for a prime.

I got this lens as a christmas present, and I thought it would be a great carry around lens when my 17-40 was a bit slow and bulky, but the first shots looked a bit soft, so I did a side by side with the 17-40 and found the zoom to be sharper and with better contrast at all apertures. I was suprised and disapointed, in my experience primes are always sharper than zooms at the same focal length, even though the 28 2.8 isn't a L lens I still expected better performance. This speaks well for the 17-40, but not so well for the older primes. Perhaps I got a bad sample of the 28, or a particularly good sample of the 17-40, either way, I'm still looking for a nice fast light wide angle lens, the 28 is going back, maybe I'll try the 35 2.0.

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add soboyle to your Buddy List
tekgik

Registered: Dec 17, 2003
Review Date: Nov 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $187.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: sharp past f5.6, metal mount, small & lightweight, cheap =)
Cons:
noisy! hunts in low light. Very rare availability.

The 52mm filter thread size is great! I can use both on this one and my plastic "50"

Overall i like it! If you like elcheapo normal focal length on 1.6x FOV camera that gives some nice quality? Well I recommend it!

Best combo with 50mm 1.8II

Nov 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tekgik to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Nov 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very small and pocketable. 52mm filter size won`t break the bank.Nice small and manageable lens hood. Price doesn`t do justice to this excellent little lens.
Cons:
None so far on my 1Ds!

I wasn`t expecting much in the way of performance from this cheap lens! How wrong I was. I know there are QC factors with all lenses so I must have been very very lucky.Some people have mentioned the noisey focus( I don`t hear much noise and lets face it wide lenses don`t move much anyway.) I tend to use my wides at f8 or smaller so I`m not worried that much about edges because at f8 they are fine(and good at f4) and that`s on a FF camera. Of the shots I`ve taken so far it is ahead of the 15-30 Sigma and my 17-40. OK it`s more of a problem to keep on changing lenses when using primes over a zoom but it really brings those 11 million pixels into action. Maybe there are better 28`s around(like contax etc) but with them you loose so much automation.
No! this is a fully useable compact cheap lens that has produced A3+ prints from my1ds that I`m proud of and it now sits in my bag along with the other primes(20 1.8 Sigma, 50 1.8 Canon, 85 1,8 Canon and 135 f2 Canon + 1.4 ext) I wish I could show you the 18x12 print that has just come off of my 1290s printer.

Nov 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Sep 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: light, quick focus, loud! (i know when I'm hitting the button)
Cons:
Seems kinda soft, loud motor,

All around lens ok, I have the Sigma 18mm to 125 for my 10D also like it more then the 28mm prime. Also have the 50mm MkII like it 99% more then everything else. Not even sure why I bought the lens, I guess just to have.

Sep 11, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Sep 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, very sharp. Price
Cons:
Loud focusing. No USM.

Other than the noisy motor / slowness, this lens can not be faulted. It still is a great buy, for who uses a wide angle where anything will be "spooked" from the noise?

Sep 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
Kevin M

Registered: Dec 17, 2002
Review Date: Aug 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optically very good with a bargain price tag.
Cons:
Overall, very little, given the price paid. A smoother moving focus ring would have been nice.

I bought this lens to have roughly the equivalent of a 'normal' fov on a 1,6 crop camera. It has not dissapointed me as I find it sharp across the frame and with no distortions that I can see. The af motor is a little buzzy but seems to be responsive and accurate. Build quality is adequate and it is light and unobtrusive, including the hood, making it an ideal walkaround lens. For landscaping and work requiring a large dof, I find it to be exceptionally sharp and even at f11.

Aug 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin M to your Buddy List
rbus

Registered: Jul 17, 2004
Review Date: Jul 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp lens, less chromatic aberrations at f=2.8, beter than my EF 50mm 1.8 wide opened, cheap, small and handy, light weight
Cons:
AF motor quite loud

I would not like to miss this lens especially in indoors shootings, in autumn and winter time outdoor shootings, and in night light shootings.
Combined with ISO 400, this lens is unbeatable for group photos and macros with large apertures. A highly recommended lens!

Jul 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbus to your Buddy List
mudlake

Registered: Nov 22, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $159.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very small and light, super sharp at f2.8
Cons:
buzzy autofocus motor (but who cares?)

I just got this lens yesterday and played with it most of the evening. All I can say about its sharpness at f2.8 is - YES! Very sharp wide open and a dandy little lens to carry around. If you're like me and don't like to carry around 2 pounds or more of metal and glass while you're making images, you will love this lens. It is truly a joy to use.

I will play with it more over the next several days at all apertures but from the 100 or so images I have taken so far I am very impressed. High quality, low price, and flyweight to boot. Highly recommended.

I bought the lens hood for and extra $20. Not only does it protect the lens, but it prevents flare from unwanted light.

Mar 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mudlake to your Buddy List
JamieW

Registered: Sep 16, 2002
Review Date: Dec 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, light, good AF, fast.
Cons:
Non-USM.

I bought a used 28/2.8 to carry on my 10D as a walk around lens. With the 1.6x, it is similar to a normal lens. So far I am pleased with the performance of the lens. It is just about perfect for this application. In decent light its AF is fine, is fast at f/2.8, and is reasonably priced. Reccomend it without hesitation.

Dec 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JamieW to your Buddy List
jimmythefish

Registered: Sep 27, 2003
Review Date: Sep 27, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, light, cheap, sharp, good focal length on a 1.6x crop.
Cons:
Focus motor sounds like a wasp on amphetamines.

It is what it is. I got mine last week and can't say anything bad about it. The build quality is totally fine. The plastic is very high quality, textured stuff and a casual look would suggest that it was metal. I'm not planning on hammering nails with it, anyways. The focus ring on mine feels smoother, less plasticky and more damped than my 50 F1.4, and is by no means of poor quality. The DOF scale is actually useful, too, unlike the 50, which only has F22. The autofocus is extremely buzzy, but then there isn't a lot of focus travel with it, either. It's not really an issue, especially if you're a landscaper and can just drop it into MF mode and go nuts.

Optics? This is where it shines. No problems whatsoever. Sharp from corner to corner on the 1.6x crop. No discernable distortion. It's about as wide as I need on the 10D, and as it's a normal lens with the crop factor, it's great as a walkaround.

If you're in doubt about your need for a lens at this focal length, it can be picked up really cheaply and you'll have top-quality glass at little cost. It'll still be a good addition even if you decide to go 17-40 F4L in the future, as the extra stop is sometimes worth it.

Sep 27, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimmythefish to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: May 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good price, light weight, good quality at f4 and less...
Cons:
...terrible quality at f2.8

I bought this lens used thinking that it would be a good available light lens...it is but performance at f2.8 was no better than a third party 28-70 f2.8 zoom. Good price and light weight but not the best example of a Canon prime.

May 2, 2003
Edit/Delete Message
Theresa Z.

Registered: Mar 19, 2002
Review Date: Apr 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Inexpensive, and a good standard lens on a D60 with the multiplier. Good sharpness Good medium wide on a film camera.
Cons:
Not the best contrast. Cheaply built, especially the manual focus dampening.

Excellent value for the money.

Apr 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theresa Z. to your Buddy List
Andrew Grant

Registered: Jan 19, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, small, focuses fast and cheap
Cons:
No fulltime manual focus

Great normal lens for the D30/D60/10D thought the 35/2 is a stop faster and a great wide angle lens on a film body.

The lens is sharp and very compact which is very handy on small bodies such as the Elan 7 or Rebel.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andrew Grant to your Buddy List
John MacLean

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Mar 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: small and sharp
Cons:
nada

I had this lens, but sold it in favor of a zoom for convenience reasons only. Otherwise it's a fine little lens that I had no complaints about whatsoever.

Mar 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John MacLean to your Buddy List

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8