Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG Super

45 98216 Jan 19, 2011
7.7
EF_500_DG_Super_Flash

Electronic Flash EF-500 DG SUPER is designed to work with both AF 35mm SLR and Digital SLR cameras of popular manufacturers, for advanced flash photography. It has a maximum guide number of 165 in feet or 50 in meter at 105mm focal length (ISO 100). The projection angle of the flashlight is set automatically to match the lens' focal length ranging from 28mm wide-angle to 105mm medium-telephoto. It also incorporates a built-in diffuser that expands the angle of illumination down to that of 17mm lens.
It enables full automatic flash photography by TTL automatic flash exposure control. It now includes S-TTL flash photography for Sigma, 3-D multi-sensor balanced fill flash function and i-TTL flash photography for Nikon, E-TTL II flash photography for Canon, ADI flash photography and P-TTL flash photography for Minolta.

For bounce flash it can be tilted 90° upwards and 7° downward for close-ups. Also it can be swiveled 180° to the left and 90° to the right. It incorporates "modeling flash" mode to provide proper light distribution to check the shadow of the subject. The multi pulse flash features enable reduced power setting from 1/4 to 1/128 in 6 steps and the pulse frequency of the flash can be set from 1Hz to 199Hz. EF-500 DG SUPER incorporates wireless TTL flash photography, slave flash photography, and FP flash photography (synchronized with high shutter speeds). In addition, manual flash also can be set at 8 output power levels. The covering focal length of the flashlight can be seen on the LCD panel, and a flash ready signal can be seen in the viewfinder. The EF-500 DG SUPER also incorporates auto power off system.

Vendor website: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/flashes.htm

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

Exit

Registered: Feb 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, Similar to 550EX. When it works its a good flash so I hope I just got a bad copy
Cons:
Exposures are off all the time, mine broke...flash tube died and the flash head locks up the flash when zooming from 50-28mm's (had to remove batteries to reset)

This flash consistently exposes wrong. On the 20D I have to push the EV to +2/3-1 stop and even still I get severely blown out and under exposed shots (with no consistancy). I could take the shot 4 times with the camera in M mode and each shot would be exposed differently.

Mine just died on me after only 3 months of use. It started showing symptoms a week or so after I bought it, but because I needed the flash I never got it replaced. My 580EX replacement had better get here today or I'll be out 3 gigs this weekend. Now I get to test the Sigma RMA service. I will post back with results.

Aug 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Exit to your Buddy List
tell

Registered: Aug 25, 2003
Review Date: Jul 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $190.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great price, lots of power and features.
Cons:
The Sigma cancels FP flash mode if the shutter speed drops to the camera’s X-sync speed or below. I've been nailed several times with this. Luckily I'm a major "chimper" and I only ended up with a few blown out shots. With the Canon flashes you have to instruct it to cancel FP mode. No external power input.

Jul 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tell to your Buddy List
Schnauzers

Registered: Apr 8, 2005
Review Date: Jul 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price , Powerful and light .
Cons:
Nothing that bothers me .

I use this flash for aquatic photos with my ST-E2 and could not be happier . I have heard of problems and complaints but have experienced none of them in the three months I have owned it .

Jul 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Schnauzers to your Buddy List
afred

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $179.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, power, settings
Cons:
Wireless master mode malfunctions... on my camera (20D) at least.

I have 3 of these flash units and i really do like using them. Mainly using a master with the slaves in manual. When i use the ETTL wireless master mode, the images are way overexposed, but this isnt much of a problem to me, because i really don't need that mode.

Jun 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add afred to your Buddy List
20Dshooter

Registered: May 24, 2005
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jun 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, powerful, full of features and cheap.
Cons:
Haven't come across any.

A superb flash. I love it, have used it at weddings. I really can't think of anything bad about it, at all.

Recently, I had the opportunity to try out a friends 550EX. That flash is much heavier than the Sigma, and, of course, much more expensive, but otherwise is pretty much the same.

Highly reccomended!

Jun 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 20Dshooter to your Buddy List
Don Price

Registered: May 3, 2004
Review Date: May 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $189.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great value, half the price of the Canon, easy to set up remote(slave) Works with the canon off camera cable..
Cons:
It's easy on batteries,but would like a remote battery pack option

I have two of this model and have been very happy ..work great on the 300D and yes it does FP..I use it all the time with wildlife.. great value and only 1/3 stop less that Canon's big guy.

May 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Don Price to your Buddy List
edje

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Review Date: Apr 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price-quality,powerfull
Cons:
not yet discoverd

high-speed flash sync (FP Mode) works very well with canon 10D. I think TuanHA doen't read the manual good enough.

Apr 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add edje to your Buddy List
user5412

Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Review Date: Apr 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $189.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: CHEAP. Comparable to the 550ex.
Cons:
Sometimes jams when you pull and push the zoom lens too fast.

Great flash for the price. I have a jamming problem when I turn the zoom ring on my lens too fast. Fast recharge rate with good batteries. Highly Recommended.

Apr 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add user5412 to your Buddy List
TuanHA

Registered: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Vietnam
Review Date: Feb 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value for money. Faster recycle time in comparison with 550 EX.
Cons:
Can not fire high-speed flash sync (FP Mode) with Canon D-SLR (300D, 10D & 20D)

After using Sigma 550 DG Super for 2 months, I discovered that the flash unit can not can not fire in FP mode (high speed flash sync) with canon D-SLR (the 550 EX can)

With 300D, 10D & 20D, fill-in flash is very inconvinient because the flash can not fire speed higher than 1/200s

Feb 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TuanHA to your Buddy List
skasol

Registered: Apr 13, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $179.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent value, this flash is everything everyone else has said and more, there is no reason in my opinion to pay the extra $300 for the canon.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

Enough said.

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skasol to your Buddy List
PhotoPig

Registered: Nov 19, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Flash output, cycle time. PRICE! Look around--just as good if not better than the 550ex ----for only $199!
Cons:

I absolutely love it.......Ive heard complaints about build quality, I see nothing wrong with it, mine seems just as sturdy as the Canon......

Go get it!

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PhotoPig to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $179.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: faster rcycle than the 550. better output power (imo, based on the times i used two off camera flashes the stronger shadows were always from the Sigma side, and better exposed too)
Cons:
more "clunky" build quality

already said.

Jan 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
Scott Sewell

Registered: Dec 8, 2003
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: About as close to a Canon 550ex as one can get...for less than half the price! Virtually the same functions, power and wireless cabilities as the 550ex.
Cons:
Build isn't quite as sturdy as the 550ex; no easy way to use external power without making mods to the battery door (that I know of); no off-camera terminal.

First, let me say that if the build quality were just a tad better, this flash would get a perfect "10" rating across the board.

I owned a Canon 550ex flash and sold it to get the Sigma. I was hesitant about what seemed to be a move "down", but have been very pleased with the decision. Basically, I've gotten the same functions and features as the 550ex for half the price.

It has plenty of power and works fine on both my 10d and 20d. High speed sync works well, as does all manual functions. I have not used it as a wireless master or slave, but will be doing so as more of my new flash gear arrives. I'm guessing that this unit will work as expected based on how well it's done in other situations.

If you're a photojournalist who needs rugged gear, this might not be for you. If you're a freelancer or hobbyist on a budget, this flash should not disappoint.

Jan 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Scott Sewell to your Buddy List

Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG Super