Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

218 485105 May 9, 2014
EF10-22

• Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
• Lens Construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
• Diagonal Angle of View: 107° 30' - 63° 30'
• Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
• Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
• Zoom System: Ring USM
• Filter Size: 77mm
• Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

pKai

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Nov 7, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Image quality, ergonomics, zoom range.
Cons:
Lack of supplied hood, lack of "L" buld

This is an excellent lens. Image quality is on par with "L" standards. The range is awesome for APS-C sized SLRs.

The lack of hood was solved on eBay for less than $10. Mounting the generic hood is a bit tighter than the Canon original, but its not $50 either. Black plastic is black plastic -- the dimensions are identical.

I highly recommend this lens to anyone that needs this range. Its much better than similar offerings from Tokina and Sigma.

Canon: I know you are real proud of these dedicated hoods at retail, but c'mon... someone plunks down $700 for a lens, you should toss in the plastic that probably didn't cost you $1.

Nov 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pKai to your Buddy List
pKai

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Nov 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image quality, zoom range, ergonomics.
Cons:
No dust sealing, no hood.

Generally an excellent lens. I find myself using it more and more as my "carry" lens.

I would gladly pay a few more bucks for dust sealing and other "L" features. Optically, its as good as an "L" now.

The lack of hood was easily remedied on eBay for less than $20. The off-brand hood is a bit tighter to put on than the original Canon part (my friend has the real one), but dimensionally, the generic is identical and a fraction of the cost.

I highly recommend this lens for anyone needing the wider side of wide in an APC sized Canon. Just stay out of the sandstorms with it.

Nov 7, 2006
ivyinvestor

Registered: Mar 17, 2006
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $629.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: FOV, color, contrast, distortion
Cons:
Build quality

Many have written about this lens, so I will not copy-and-paste their accolades. Rather, I'll tell you a story that encompasses the lens' pros and cons, and how I justify my rating (for a 30D).

I recently took this lens, a Sigma 30mm, and Canon's 70-300 (my travel kit) to Roma, Pompeii, and Milano. Specifically, in Pompeii, this was the only lens I used. The low levels of fundamental distortion between 10-12mm make the lens shine when capturing the gorgeous nature of the city's ruins combined with a deep blue, cloud pocked sky. Colors of the ruins turned out nearly spot on, and contrast was handled admirably in more cases than I'd have predicted. The level of detail - especially in near-field objects when close focusing - is spectacular. And far field detail is grand, as well, especially with a little USM in post processing. I often observed countless folks constantly adjusting footing to incorporate their selected compositions within the boundaries of either the kit lens, 17-55, or 24-70 (my normal wedding shooter). Although I moved about for composition, I only once or twice found that I needed *a tad more* FOV than 10mm (and for that, we'd be rapidly entering the hyperspecialized 8mm category, no?). (This was in a few of the very small rooms, opened for fresco viewing, where backing up wasn't an option.) And while the lens rejects flare better than any other lens I own/use, I found that purchasing the hood all but elminated it: inclusive of several harsh lighting settings, not one of the shots on the trip revealed flare of any kind...Of course, another added bonus of using the 30D + 10-22 combination is that the short focal length allows for very slow shutter speeds to be used with a high ISO in order to capture photos that would have otherwise been lost (1/3sec, 1/2sec+).

The only let down during the trip and, indeed, during the Pompeii jaunt, was the lens' unsealed nature. For those of you who have visited this city (innundated in 79CE by, and then preserved under, ash and tephra until the 1800s), you know that it's an incredibly dusty spot. Several times, I feared the need to hide the camera due to blowing dirt and sand. And while there is no damage (no grittiness or sluggishness in focusing or zooming), I do believe that weather sealing would have allayed my concerns about the lens' integrity...

Oct 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ivyinvestor to your Buddy List
routerguy666

Registered: Aug 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, optical quality.
Cons:

Best wide angle option for a crop camera. Pictures are very sharp, colors are great. Stopped down to F22, I've shot landscapes with excellent detail from center to edge of the frame every time.

Barrel distortion on the wide end is the nightmare you would expect from such a wide piece of glass, especially if you are relatively close to your subject. That's not specific to this lense, but it can be irritating trying to correct for it in software. Choose your subject/lense combo wisely.

Only complaint about the lense is it is pricey for EF-S. You know, as do I, EF-S is eventually going to be an obsolete mount because everything will go full frame. EF-S lenses should, imo, not match the price points of their EF counterparts which have been in use for decades and will be in use for decades to come.

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add routerguy666 to your Buddy List
Timwim1

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Aug 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $605.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Surprisingly very sharp lens, excellent color rendition and contrast resulting in punchy images without excessive photo shopping needed.. excellent super wide angle lens for 1.6 crop sensors
Cons:
No “L” denomination but optically it is “L” quality glass, reversed focus/zoom position, no lens hood included for the price charged

I had my copy of my Canon 10-22 now for about 6 months, I have been very surprised by the image quality of this lens.

All by all, I would like to first touch upon a couple of important aspects of this lens and then show some pictures taken over the last couple of months to get my point across.

Optically the image quality is very good wide open, but absolutely shines stopped down to f5.6- 8.0. Wide open (10 mm) there is some softness in the corners visible, which is really inherent with wide angle lenses, but again gets quite better stopped down to f5.6. The saturation/colors, contrast in the images are just splendid and have a 3D feel to it, creating the pop and punch what makes the images so beautiful.

The distortions (barrel and pin cushion) is so well controlled with this marvelous optic, I only need to change perspective, and everything will straighten-up, if desired of course! This “fisheye-effect” this super wide angle lens provides can be both good and bad, depending on your personal style and creativity…The flare with this lens is very well controlled, to the point that a hood is in 95% of the shots taken really not necessary. Vignetting or light falloff of in the corners of the image is visible wide open at 10mm (taken picture of blue sky for example) but still very well controlled and quite less vignetting is present when stopped down to f8.0. Just be careful to use thin-filters, standard ones make matters quite worse. Chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) are present with this lens, nevertheless the use of the super UD glass element. I found that -all by all- it is not super bad at 10 mm and gets actually pretty good at 22 mm; but I would have hoped it was better since Canon has some lenses where it is quite better…

Regarding the built and handling of this lens it is for sure not the same feel as the “L” Lenses; nevertheless the zoom ring has been a joy to use, silky smooth since it came out of the box. The reversed focus/zoom position does take some getting used to, but one learns…Note that this lens is not weather sealed, but currently no canon crop-sensor body is neither….thus what is the point? The canon auto focus (AF) motor design per USM, is super fast, accurate and basically noise free. Nothing more can be anticipated really from the AF, as good as it gets in my opinion…
Please check a “out of the camera picture and a DxO corrected” one here for perspective, CA and vignetting:
National parks picture Great Falls
No correction: http://www.pbase.com/timwim/image/66039060
With correction: http://www.pbase.com/timwim/image/66039061

Since, I really enjoy landscape photography, this lens is a must have for crop sensors owners to capture big field of views. Optically the image quality is quite good wide open, but absolutely shines stopped down to f5.6 to f8.0. Please make SURE the UV or CP-L filters CLEARS the front glass piece it is very close (I own thin Hoya PRO1 Digitals w/front threads and it works beautifully, the standard thicker ones do create visible vignetting)

Find some nice landscape shots here (feel free to enjoy the rest of my galleries as well…)

All by all some close-up focusing is possible even with this super wide angle lens …”macro” is not correct description, but surprisingly beautiful close-ups can be taken with this lens…
See some images here:
This hibiscus flower image gives is a good idea about the bokeh of this lens ( rendition of the out of focus areas, upper right hand corner here for flower shows a very pleasing bokeh IMO)

In conclusion:
Very sharp super wide angle lens even wide open but absolutely shines at f5.6 to f8.0, definitely the “sweet spot range for optimal optical quality (sharpness, minimize vignetting, and CA ” . The images have a 3D quality to them, without excessive distortion, creating bold and punchy images straight out of the box. Basically best super wide angle lens in my books, making it an enormous fun and creative lens. Optically, it is awesome. It's definitely an “L” version for us 1.6 crop sensors.
However, for a “non-L” lens, it isn't cheap. On top of that there is no hood included for the price since this is not an “L”….
All by all, I LOVE my copy of my lens….but be aware that my experience may not be the same as other users and you should read more reviews to get good feel about it. Highly recommended nevertheless.
********************************

Aug 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Timwim1 to your Buddy List
Phast1

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Posts: 2082
Review Date: Aug 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra-wide finally! Super sharp.
Cons:
no hood included.

Canon's best ef-s lens in my books. It's definitely an L version for us crop dudes. I've owned 3 copies of this lens, all stellar. Very sharp wide open.

My only complaint aside from no hood being included is:
If I'm in Av mode at 22mm and dial down wide open f/4.5 then zoom wider - the Aperture stays at 4.5. It won't automatically give me the widest f/stop. It's just getting to know your tools though and this is one fine piece of glass.

Highly recomended.

Aug 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Phast1 to your Buddy List
crocus

Registered: Aug 18, 2006
Location: Romania
Review Date: Aug 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Good IQ lens, FT Manual Focus, Great color and contrast, very good sharpness up to f8, lovely wide, solid build, Excellent colour reproduction , very little distortion
Cons:
No lens hood, no carry bag, maybe price, EF-S

My copy is lovely sharp at every focal length. In my opinion its an awesome lens, very wide, the only wide option for 1,6 crop factor SLR's. Works awesome on my 350d. Zoom/focuses very smooth and quickly, and its lightweight.
I do many landscape and architecture shots and this lens is just perfect for that. I love the width of the images that I now shoot, it blows away anything I had before. The lens has minimal Chromatic Aberration and the zoom range is great.
I would definitely recommend this product to others.

Aug 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add crocus to your Buddy List
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Aug 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice Build,Sharp,Nice Scope & Coverage...Worthy of (L)Series Rating...
Cons:
Slightly Overpriced Lens Hood not included!

A nice compliment to my 30D having lots of fun with this lens.
Great for groups & candids .
Wonderful lens for buildings & churches and fun group shots...
Highly Recommend ... although slightly overpriced considering no lens hood is included.

Aug 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
imeod

Registered: May 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $689.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Internal Zooming, Super wide angle
Cons:
EF-S, I can't get mine to take a good indoor picture.

I love the super wide angle, especially since I have been shooting with a 24mm + for the last year. Too be completely honest though, I'm selling this lens and going to try the 17-55mm. I just can't get my 20D to take a half decent indoor picture that doesn't look like it came from a fisheye lens. Maybe I have a bad copy? Either way I'm getting rid of it.

Aug 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add imeod to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and light, very useful. Great for landscape, good for portrait as well. Very low distortion for this focal range.
Cons:
expensive (but may be reasonable for its quality)

I like landscape, and this lens is a must have for 20D ! Optically, it is really excellent. It is obviously sharper at the edges than my 17-85. The image quality is quite good wide open. This is the lens makes me wondering if I should leave EF-S/APS-C world...

I also used this lens for portrait and like the result.

The distortion is so well controlled, I only need to change perspective, and everything will straight up !

Jul 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
dalephill2

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Jul 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lite, optics are excelent and love the wide wide end...
Cons:
little cheesy build

Just incredible, on the 1*6 crop its like having full frame again.. gotta love it.. optics are just what the doctor orded for a poormans pocket.. It truly is a piece of work. I can see this being my walk around lens 99 percent.

Jul 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dalephill2 to your Buddy List
meltsas

Registered: Apr 14, 2006
Review Date: Jul 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp - even wide-opened, wide enough for almost everything (10mm!), fast and precise ring-usm, optical performance.
Cons:
its bit pricy, no real weather sealing.

Its optical quality is everything what you can expect from good wide-angle zoom (very few CA@wide-opened, reasonable distortions, sharp etc)

I have used this lens with 20D for crowd shots in busy exhibition shows and general views and I can only praise the AF speed, accuracy.

Only thing I am missing is weather sealing, but what can we do if canon policy is so.

You can see many shots made with this lens (all wide-angle shots) in my web gallery: http://www.meltsas.com

Jul 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add meltsas to your Buddy List
cathpah

Registered: Jan 28, 2006
Review Date: Jul 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: soooo fun and wide. works great for anything from landscapes to skateboarding. the 10mm side is distorted in a quasi-fisheye manner.
Cons:
the 10mm side is distorted in a quasi-fisheye manner.

such a fun lens. really gives you a fun perspective that you can get really creative with. the barrel distortion (or fisheye effect) can be both good and bad, depending on your style and your opinions....I personally LOVE it. the close focussing distance is amazing too. I reccomend this lens to anyone who needs a wide angle on a crop camera....worth every single penny. could be considered an L if the body was a little gnarlier.

If you don't believe me, look at forums that show off pictures taken with it.

Jul 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cathpah to your Buddy List
perspective

Registered: Oct 10, 2005
Review Date: Jul 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Produces a very unique look to the pictures. Differnt from the 16-35 f/2.8L lens
Cons:
EF-S mount won't work on my 1ds mkII

I owned this lens when I owned the 20D camera. I had to sell the lens when I sold the camera not long ago in favor of the 1ds mark II camera. For the mark II I bought the 16-35mm f/2.8L lens. In many ways I still prefer what I got from the 10-22 EF-S lens and I'd like to own both, but alas the 10-22 won't fit on the 1ds camera.

If you own the 20D, Rebel XT or 30D, you should get this lens if you need wide angle and not worry about it. The quality of the pictures it produces is very good. I've read reviews where people are complaining about softness wide-open with this lens, that's true to a minor degree, but I'd have to say it's true of most wide-angle lenses so there's no need to pick on the 10-22mm specifically about it. Sometimes you want images a little soft anyway. Not all subject matter displays well tack-sharp - it's about your artistic purpose for each shot. If you need a razor sharp image, don't grab in your bag for any WA lens, use the 85mm f/1.2L or the 135mm f/2L. Or even the 50mm f/1.4.

I own the 16-35mm f/2.8L now and at first I had difficulty getting decent shots with that lens whereas I got shots I liked with the 10-22 right away. Me and my 16-35mm get along fine now that I've learned how to use it though. The thing I really miss about the 10-22mm is that there was just something special about the pictures I got from it. I can't really put my finger on it, there was just something about that lens. The 16-35mm will get you shots that look close to what you get with other Canon L lenses. The 10-22mm shots aren't the same, they kind of stand out as different looking from the rest. I took a lot of shots of the Pacific ocean with the 10-22mm lens and it really did a fabulous job with the blue colors. Some of my best sessions of the ocean were with that lens. If I buy a backup lens it will probably be a 30d and I'll re-purchase the 10-22mm lens.

For a non-L lens, it isn't cheap. It's surprisingly expensive for glass without the L in the title. I have bought L lenses that cost less (the 70-200 f/4L for example).

My usual caveat applies here: My experience may not be the same as other reviewers and you should read all reviews and get an average "feel" for the lens from those reviews.

Jul 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perspective to your Buddy List
J-Pepper

Registered: Jul 1, 2006
Review Date: Jul 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide Angle!
Cons:
Not that sharp when wide open :(

I've only just bought myself a 350D and so my experience with lenses are limited to this and the stock 18-55mm although I have test driven various lenses... and from the small experience i've had with the Canon 17-40L, i think the L lens is sharper but I wouldn't swap. Why? because i'll miss out on the 10-16mm range!

Check out some of my photos with the 10-22mm here.

Jul 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J-Pepper to your Buddy List
Steiner88

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Jul 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide angle... can lead to funny pics if used correctly :) but it's wide...
Cons:
nothing except that canon is too cheap to give the hood

Equivalent of 16-35mm in the APS-C body, it is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.... very nice lens, light-weight and quite sharp when stepped down...

The only gripe I have is the hood that costs around 1/6th of the price of the lens... what gives???? It's just a black plastic...

Jul 9, 2006