Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

218 486594 May 9, 2014
EF10-22

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
Diagonal Angle of View: 107 30' - 63 30'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
Zoom System: Ring USM
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

Joe Hunt

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Jun 6, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $599.99 | Rating: 1

Pros: None
Cons:
Plenty

Must have gotten a bad copy of this lens as I found that my copy was soft in the center sharp on the sides and had CA in the corners that was pretty bad. For the price that I paid you would expect a lens that would respond to fstop adjustments to get some sharpness going. I ran a series of tests on a tripod and just could not get anything going.

Compared to my 17-40 L this this lens was a dog.

Jun 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joe Hunt to your Buddy List
foxorian

Registered: Jun 5, 2008
Review Date: Jun 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $710.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Range: Insanely useful 10-22mm [16-35mm equivalent] range Optics: Sharp. Practically no distortion at either end of the zoom. Vignetting: Never been an issue in my travels. Build: High quality materials and rock solid construction. AF: Fastest AF I've ever encountered in a lens. Speed: At f/3.5 max, it's a little better than usual competition, but for a price. Operation: Smooth uniform action on both the zoom and focus rings. Design: Front element is rather flat for such wide-angle. Easy to keep protected. Size: *See review for details Weight: Doesn't make camera at all front-heavy. Barely notice it's in my bag.
Cons:
Size: *See review for details Price: at $700~$800, it's one of the most expensive EF-S lenses. Optics: Magenta/Green CA at wide angle. [easily correctable, I've found.] Some corner softness. [to be expected.] AF: Though fast, can use TOO MANY AF points on auto-select. Use manually selected AF points for best precision. Compatibility: APS-C Sensors only, EF-S Mount. [Thought personally not an issue.] DoF: It's a wide angle lens, so expect to get little variance in back/foreground blur. Cleaning: The front element of the lens is a pain to clean. Protection filter recommended.

This is perhaps one of the most unique lenses I've ever come across. It's the kind of lens you can really come to fall in love with. It has the awkward characteristics that make something worth loving. It has the strange focal length of 10-22mm, a big 77mm front, and the ability to make space look huge and expansive, not to mention elongate your friend's features if they get too close. It's a lens that you can take out on the town for a night of fun, because if there's one thing this lens can do: it's make things interesting.

I bought this lens thinking it would be a great addition to complement my 28-135mm USM IS lens for my 40D -- something to complete a wide-to-telephoto focal range. Little did I know I'd almost use it exclusively from the moment it arrived at my door. This lens makes using my 40D immeasurably more fun. Photographing interior and exterior spaces alike instantly become more interesting as you capture a staggeringly wide view around you, all the while maintaining straight lines and perspective. I enjoy bringing it to social events and snapping away, capturing all of my friends at once when they may only be sitting on the other side of the table. The lens is so much fun to use, it's easy to overlook the price it cost and any of its optical flaws.

Specifically, the 10-22mm does get some noticeable green/magenta chromatic abberation at the wide end and some fringing on highlights. However, they're never bad enough that I can't edit them out later. The low distortion this lens offers is so unexpected, I'd gladly live with the CA even if I couldn't edit it out. The corner softness isn't much of a big deal at the wide end either, since we're talking about 10mm (16mm equivalency) here.

The 10-22's [forgivable] flaws are that the front element is recessed a bit into the casing, making cleaning it difficult since junk can build up around its edge. I strongly recommend using a protective filter for this lens to make cleaning it a cinch. It's large 77mm size, though cool looking, is also so large that it acts as a third leg for my 40D when placed on a table. Though, when taken off of the camera, it's a small enough lens to be easily brought around with me wherever I go. Though a native flaw to wide-angle shooting [and a max aperture of f/3.5] the differences between foreground and background blur in depth of field is extremely shallow. The picture remains mostly in focus almost all the time everywhere. This can trip up the AF sometimes by focusing on something close to you AND far away at the same time, where one of these objects will become slightly out of focus once the picture is taken. Though the 10-22's AF is lightning fast, make sure to manually select your AF point, as it can use too many on auto. [Some times, all 9 AF points on my 40D will light up saying the image is in focus. After taking those pictures, the truth is that they were not completely in focus.]

Lastly, The price of $700~$800 is a bit steep for an EF-S [APS-C only] lens. I'm personally never going to be upgrading to a Full-frame body like the 5D, so the 10-22mm was deemed a worth-while investment planned for long-term use. If you have lingering thoughts of upgrading to a full-frame body soon, you're probably going to want to avoid the 10-22mm because it might change your mind to stay with an APS-C body a little longer.

That said, if you've ever wanted your EF-S dSLR to become a little more fun and social, it's worth saving up for this lens for its unique offerings and top-notch quality.

[bought mine from J&R for $710.]

SAMPLE SHOTS TAKEN WITH MY 40D:

Jun 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add foxorian to your Buddy List
Roy W

Registered: Apr 15, 2008
Review Date: Apr 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very wide, sharp, excellent colours and very little distortion
Cons:

I use this lens for almost entirely for my business, Fuerteventura Property World (Real Estate), and it has paid for it's self many times over...just fantastic!

Please see photo examples at...

Apr 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Roy W to your Buddy List
Anthony Hope

Registered: Dec 14, 2006
Review Date: Apr 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very Sharp, no flare and very little distortion at 10mm, very good AF even in low light.
Cons:
Colours and contrast not as good as the L's.

Apr 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Anthony Hope to your Buddy List
aegean2

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Greece
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, size, weight, really wide shots.
Cons:
Price perhaps for some, EF-S only mount

Well, what to say that hasn't already been said about this lens. Let's see.

I got it about a year ago, and since then it has been my second favorite lens besides the 70-200 f/2.8IS. The pictures are absolutely sharp, and very low distrotion.

True that at 10mm you do have some distortion at the edges, but what do you expect at 10mm focal length? It is more than acceptable, and actually makes for some interesting pictures sometimes. I 'd avoid shooting people at the edges of the frame, unless you want to distort their faces and most importantly noses. I do sometime for the fun of it. It is a great great lens for enclosed spaces or wide open landscape shots.

I also own a Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8, which is a great lens, but it does not give me the versatility of the 10-22mm, so I almost never use it, unless I am planning a very low light shoot without flash. Since I got this and the 70-200 last year, all my other lenses have usually been left at home. Perhaps I will sell them at some point. I was looking at my pictures and 95% of them are taken either at 10-22, or 70-200 (105-280 with the extender), and 5% at 24-70 which is my other lens.

Build quality wise, I am very satisfied with this lens, it is on par with the much more expensive L lens. I am guessing if it wasn't an EF-S mount it would be an L lens.

My only problems with it are:
1. A lack of hood
2. EF-S only mount, which means I will sorely miss it when I go to the 5D sometime this year. The 24-70 will pick up some of the slack at full frame, and the 15mm the rest. But I will miss it, and the versatility it offers.

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aegean2 to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Mar 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Really sharp wide-angle zoom for APS-C bodies.
Cons:
No hood which is highly recommended. Vignetting and barrel distortion.

Really a very nice lens for APS-C bodies such as the XTi/400D, 30/40D, and the upcoming XSi/450D.

The Vignetting and barrel distortion is easily corrected in post-processing. Really a nice sharp and fun lens to use. Only drawbacks are that it doesn't include a lens hood and it's somewhat slow on aperture sizes and thus is not good in low light w/o a tripod.

Sample Photos taken with a Canon 30D

-Roy

Mar 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
--Lucio--

Registered: Feb 22, 2008
Review Date: Feb 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: ultra-wide, flare resistant, distortion free, lightweight, CA is manageable with DPP, fast & quiet AF, close focus distance, decent build quality, non-rotating front element
Cons:
center not so sharp, very soft borders, vignetting wide open, some CA, a blue cast (or 40D WB issue ?), expensive, not weather-sealed, EF-S mount only

This lens is really fun to use but sometimes it is hard to find a great composition with such an ultra-wide lens. See some web-sized photos of my latest ski touring outings in the following galleries: http://skidemontagne.free.fr/photos_ski/saison0708/index.php
(gear: 40D + 10-22 + Hoya UV or PLC filter, RAW files generally developed in DPP).

Feb 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add --Lucio-- to your Buddy List
poodlelvr

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Feb 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide.....color and contrast excellent
Cons:

This lens is surprisingly compact and light; I owned the 17-40 but sold it since I have the 17-55 and preferred the reach, etc. The 10-22 is comparable to the 17-40 in my opinion; color is outstanding. The lens is sharp and crisp; were it not ann EF-S I believe it would have rated L. This lens is the only way to get true wide angle on the crop camera and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Build quality is good and this will stay in my camera bag.

Feb 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add poodlelvr to your Buddy List
Dave Indech

Registered: Apr 13, 2004
Review Date: Jan 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $630.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, quiet, and accurate focus; light; sharp in the center, and strong on the wide end; not much flare
Cons:
Expensive; weak in the corners; slow on the long end; first copy was decentered

I initially started with the Sigma 10-20. After four copies with significant centering problems and a poor response from Sigma's repair, I gave up.

This Canon is lighter than the Sigma and smaller than I expected it would be. Focus is about the same for both: fast and accurate. The Canon has better colors and both of my copies were even across the frame at 10mm. The only letdown has been some blurriness in the corners, but nothing too extreme, and it cleans up by f/5.6.

At 10mm, the Sigma was equally good or better in the center and better in the corners, but only over 2/3 of the frame. 1/3, usually the left, would be hopelessly blurry. It cleaned up at 20mm.

By contrast, the first copy of the Canon I had was fine at 10mm, but had some centering problems at 20mm. The second copy was noticeably sharper across the board (4 MB vs. 4.3 MB JPEG of the same frame), so I kept it.

If you're in very close quarters, this is a great walkaround lens. If you're not, it's not. I've found that it's excellent paired with the 28-135mm, or even better, the 24-105/4. Definitely recommended. If the first copy hadn't been dodgy, I'd have rated it a 9.

Jan 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dave Indech to your Buddy List
speedblade2

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Jan 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice colours, contrast and sharpness is pretty good. Light weight and very versatile for travel use. Flare resistance is decent too. Simply the only reason I kept my 20D.
Cons:
none really, but if i must, probably the lack of weather seal and only a EF-S mount.

People say a picture says a thousand words. (I'll be realistic and say that I'm lazy to type. :P

You can see some of the pics here if you like:

Happy Shooting.

Jan 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add speedblade2 to your Buddy List
Steven Park

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: Dec 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp through out the range. Even corners are decent. Good color and contrast. A must have for crop body.
Cons:

A very good lense indeed...... I have been using 17-40L for WA but felt limited all the time. So decision between 5D and this lense was hanging in my mind for some time and finally decided to try this lense out before I buy FF camera.

I was very surprised by this lense. Remarkable lack of distortion @10mm is amazing. Very sharp center and decent corner sharpness brings smile on my face when I see my prints.

10mm brings whole new world in your vision.

Only drawback on this lense. Starting f3.5 is too slow for me to use this lense indoor. I wish Canon to make 10-22mm f2.8 version. I definitely will buy one.

Dec 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steven Park to your Buddy List
nden

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a nice landscape lens, very sharp and clear.
Cons:
Nothing so far

I have recently got this lens for few months and it's my best lens so far for landscape photos. Here is one photo I took few days ago.

Cheers...

Nov 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nden to your Buddy List
netminder0

Registered: Apr 1, 2007
Review Date: Nov 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality for a non-L lens. As wide as you'll need on a 1.6 cropped camera.
Cons:
A little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

This lens is the equivalent on a 1.6 cropped camera as the 16-35 is on a full-framed camera. Very good lens. At 10mm, it is very wide ... and gets that distortion near the edges which is alright for certain shots (but be careful ... it can turn an ordinary nose into a full-on snout!). And at 22mm, it gets closer to the mid-range focal lengths. A great lens for the xxD family of canon's cameras. And, if you plan on doing landscapes with such a camera, I would not hesitate to buy this lens.

A little expensive for a non-L lens, but its build quality is on par with an L. Its construction is very solid. I would definitely buy this lens again if mine was stolen, broken, or lost ... without any hesitation.

Nov 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add netminder0 to your Buddy List
woodburyb

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, sharpness, low distortion, quality, focus, range.
Cons:
I can't think of any.

I really like this lens.
I first purchased the Sigma 10-20mm, it was less expensive, and though it was sharp, the distortion at the wide end was so bad it wasn't that fun to use the lens. Following a trip to Thailand and trying to correct distortion on shots of the numerous temples and beautiful buildings, I deterermined to sell it. But shortly after selling it I missed the ultra-wide angle aspect, so I ponied up the money and bought the Canon. I am very, very happy with this lens, it's sharp, and though there is some distortion at the wide end (mostly gone by 14mm), it's easily corrected.
My wife and I travel some, so for shooting landscapes and buildings it's perfect. The bonus is its ability to shoot indoors under low-light.
I really like this lens.

Nov 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add woodburyb to your Buddy List
J.D.

Registered: Nov 30, 2003
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $674.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, virtually distortion free, light weight, good image quality especially for price, reasonably fast, very wide, fun.
Cons:
Zoom ring in different position to 17-40/4L, not a constant F stop, some chromatic aberration in corners.

Really good, lightweight ultra wide for EF-S mount cameras. The lens is pretty well constructed, though it's not quite as good as my 17-40/4L. From an operator point of view, this lens is very, very wide. I have a 16mm Fisheye in my old film kit and this is the widest lens I've used short of that. The biggest handling problem I've had is that the zoom ring and focus ring are reversed compared to the 17-40/4L which makes it easy to hit the wrong one when in a hurry. Fortunately, with this lens, that is not something I would expect to have to do quickly in most cases.

Image quality is very good. In common with other lenses of this type, there is some image fall of towards the edges and corners. Chromatic aberration, vignetting and loss of edge sharpness are all present but none is excessive and overall, the lens performs very well for such an extreme wide angle in a small format. The centre of the lens gives excellent results in all major areas and there should be little cause for complaint. Probably the most significant achievement is its lack of barrel distortion, which is not easy to achieve in a lens so wide.

This lens is very wide and I find it enjoyable to use. On the other hand, because it is so wide it requires a certain amount of self discipline to achieve good results. I found the best way to use it is to shoot at F8. Because it is not a constant F-stop, I find it better to stay away from wide open settings. Although it's almost distortion free, it still produces distortions which common in this type of lens. Shoot along a paling fence to see what I mean. It produces a sort of twist. In comparison with the 17-40/4L, it actually has less barrel distortion for a wider angle of view. A remarkable achievement.

Because it is small and light, its speed is a definite advantage over other ultra wides but it must come down to the individual to decide whether it is worth the extra cost. I would recommend this lens but I should point out that it suited me better than the other offerings which are out there.

Even though it is my first non-L series Canon lens, this is a lens I could actually grow to love.

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J.D. to your Buddy List
GFerRo

Registered: Oct 25, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Oct 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra-wide angle, Size & Weight good for travelling, Quick AF, Sharpness
Cons:
Hood not included, a lil distortion at the very wide angle.
Oct 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GFerRo to your Buddy List

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM