Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

218 485173 May 9, 2014
EF10-22

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
Diagonal Angle of View: 107 30' - 63 30'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
Zoom System: Ring USM
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

Page:  10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14

Hobart

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Location: Taiwan
Review Date: Dec 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: WIDER than anything else out there. Great build.
Cons:
NONE so far

I have to be honest with you and say I would have bought this even if it was a little soft, because, what else is there that is wider on a 1.6x camera? Nothing! Start from there for the rating. On top of this, it is sharp.

Nothing is really wide on a 1.6x camera like the 20D so do yourself a favor and don't buy the 16-35 or the 17-40 if you haven't already bought them as your "wide" angle solution as this 10-22mm is a real wide and those other lenses might become redundant in your bag if you bought them for your wide angle solution. Not that the 17-40 doesn't take excellent pictures, but they are nowhere near this wide. This is a whole new world.

Really fun and an easy decision to make to buy this one. A harder decision for me will be the telephoto end of my collection. There are so many good ones and I am not sure which to buy, but there is just one REAL wide angle for the 20D.

Dec 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hobart to your Buddy List
marianco

Registered: May 26, 2003
Review Date: Dec 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Finally brings Super-Wide-Angle Lens to the 1.6x Cameras such as the 20D. This is an L-Lens without the L designation. It is very sharp. Distortion is very well-controlled. Fits 77-mm filters! It's so small and light!
Cons:
None. It's meant for 1.6x cameras.

This lens is so good, I am selling my 17-40 mm L. It's the lens I've been waiting for. It is better than the 16-30 mm L in sharpness. Distortion is amazingly well-controlled. I love it. It's so small and light. Highly, highly recommended. Run, don't walk, to buy this lens for your Canon EOS 20D. When I get my Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II, I'll still keep this lens for the 20D. Of course, I'll purchase the 16-30 mm L for a wide angle. Canon knocked one out of the ball-park with the EF-S 10-22 mm lens. I was amazed.

Dec 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marianco to your Buddy List
Abdo

Registered: Nov 19, 2004
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Dec 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Lens, and colors. minimum distor..., GREAT LENS.
Cons:
NONE

Dec 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Abdo to your Buddy List
Ron B

Registered: Nov 17, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Useful wide angle focal length, solidly built, smooth zoom and focusing
Cons:
No major negatives

This is the first lens for digital SLRs to fill the fisheye/ultra wide angle gap created by the magnification factor of digital SLR cameras. The lens is quiet and solidly built.
Perhaps I'm used to the high quality images of Canon L series lenses, but the lack of sharpness when this lens was used with the excellent EOS 20D is a big disappointment. Turning the "Sharpness" control in the 20D all the way up helps, but for the price, this lens should be much sharper.
Other than that, it's nice to have a fisheye and true wide angle to use with the 20D, even if software tweaking of the images is needed.
I've done a basic test of this lens with the 20D, the results are here: http://testlab613.tripod.com/ and http://testlab613-2.tripod.com/index.html.
12-28-04 Updated Review-I knew there was something wrong with the lens when I got it and I was correct. After returning the 20D and 10-22mm lens to the Canon service facility in Irvine, CA, this lens produces much sharper images. I really have no complaints about it now. Not happy I had to send a new lens in for service, very happy it is working now.

Nov 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ron B to your Buddy List
dbosdet

Registered: Jan 5, 2002
Review Date: Nov 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: W - I - D -E, unobtrusive, very low flare, surprisingly good all-round performance. 77mm filters.
Cons:
Not cheap. Should really come with a lens hood.

Very, very wide, especially after spending the past few years without a 'true' wide angle. As a result, it really pays to take your time over composing and working up a shot to avoid all sorts of things you didn't notice creeping into the frame.

Out of the box, images are pretty soft. But a few minutes work (I use Photokit) really brings them out. I have already made some great prints with this lens, and I'm very pleased with the finished output.

Haven't noticed any CA in prints, although distortion is always going to be a problem with something this wide - be careful what is in the edges of the frame, becuase things can end up looking pretty peculiar.

One thing that seems to be excellent, however, is its lack of flare.

Verdict? I love it's creative potential.

I have posted a gallery of samples taken at the British Museum (resized jpegs plus a few unsharpened 100% crops) at:

www.sedasoft.com/gallery/tentwenty

Nov 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dbosdet to your Buddy List
CanonGuy

Registered: May 27, 2003
Review Date: Nov 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $645.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 10mm! Lightweight; balances well on the 20D; pincushion & barrel distortions very well controlled; appears to be pretty well constructed; fast & silent; relatively sharp
Cons:
High perspective distortion; no lens hood; pricy; EF-S mount

I missed my 17mm FOV on my 35mm camera so much when I switched to Digital with the 10D that I went out and get myself a fish-eye lens hoping that it will cover the wide angle - it didn't even come close; so when this lens was announced and was made available - i was the first in line to grab hold of it!

Initial tests show that pincushion & barrel distortions are very well controlled at 10mm; but this lens is highly prone to perspective distortions - objects at the extreme left/right of the frame will appear wider that they actually are. At 10mm, this baby is really wide and if you're not careful, it will take a lot of things into the frame, pretty much like the fish eye but the lines remained straight instead of curved - but it looks kinda weired!.

Sharpness are more than acceptable to me and its no worse no better than my 17-35 f/2.8. When tested with the 17-35 at 17mm f/4, the images taken with the 10-22 appears to be darker than the 17-35 - probably due to light fall-off. However, I noted that this lens has the tendency to over expose (sensor boom?)

My test shots also indicated no visible CA with this lens - but more testing will be needed to confirm this. Overall I am very happy with this purchase; but will have to be extra careful when using this lens to control distortions - keep the camera parallel to the subjects and keep people off the extreme left/right and you should be fine - though I would not recommend to shoot people using this lens at the wide end!

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CanonGuy to your Buddy List
phili1

Registered: Dec 12, 2003
Review Date: Nov 3, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $759.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: I can not find any
Cons:
Distortion, lack of sharpness, no lens hood. need slim filter.

I know there are other reviews that have a different opinion but I have to tell my experience.

I receivesd the lens and like I do all of my lenses I tested to see how good it is and I expected this to be good.

First I use wide angle for my Real Estate business so I need it perform really good, not great but good.

I took a picture of my den which is 16 x 20 with bounce flash and focused on the furtheist wall. My results at 10mm was that there was no distortion on the left side but on the right side wall lines and my coffee table went out of wack, a weired distortion. At 14 mm it was better but was bad on one side as well and at 22 mm it became normal.

Now I can live with 10 being that way but 14mm made it a not so great lens.

Now I went outside and took three pictures of my house 1 at 10mm 1 at 17mm and 1 at 22 mm. I stood 10 feet away from the siding and focused on it and got very unsharp pictures. I have to admit I was hand holding it so to give it the beniftit of the doubt this morning I tripod mounted it and got the same results unsharp pictures.

I posted the pictures on 1 web site and all comment were bring the lens back its unsharp and the distortion is very unusual.

So here are the pics I took you be the judge.

Mean while I bought the Tamron 17 to 35mm and it is sharper then the Canon.

Here is the link to the pictures.

Nov 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phili1 to your Buddy List
dannyboy

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Review Date: Nov 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality is excellent, distortion control across the zoom range excellent. Lightweight and compact, build quality very good. Autofocus on 20D is both quick and quiet.
Cons:
Cost. No hood (c'mon now Canon??). Little else!

Like TerryG I never really considered what a wide angle could bring to my pictures but since I received my 10-22mm last week I can't put my camera down! I have been blown away by the quality of picture, field of view and the new dimension this has introduced to my DSLR photography - those extra mm make a BIG difference!

This is an expensive lense considering it isn't an 'L', but I would be interested in expert opinion as more reviews are posted because quality and control are (to my eye) excellent. Everything I have taken, almost without exception, has been totally satisfactory or better, I have needed to post sharpen in PS, but this is because I tend to use a neutral setting.

Expensive, but glad I've taken the plunge - its as wide it gets!

Some examples: www.pbase.com/daveboy/dave_gallery

Nov 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dannyboy to your Buddy List
Terry G

Registered: Feb 11, 2003
Review Date: Nov 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality (sharp, good colour & contrast), surprisingly little distortion (if the camera is held truly level, vertical lines even near the edge of the frame are pretty straight. Same with the horizontal lines if the lens is parallel to the subject plane). Decent build quality. WIDE !!
Cons:
A little pricey considering Canon don`t supply a hood!! The hood is the same as on the 17-40/16-35. THEY come with a hood and the 10-22 costs MORE than the 17-40 L... DUH ??

I`ve never used wider than 24mm (on 35mm film) before. I never felt the need for wider.
Lately, however I felt I needed a change - the need to try out a different `look` and the 10-22 was a huge temptation (considering the Aps-c sensor on my 300D).
I NEVER buy lenses without reading reviews first, and couldn`t find any on this lens (the first consignment had only just been delivered to Dale photographic in Leeds UK), but this time I threw caution to the winds and took the plunge.(I traded some little-used stuff for it)
This lens hasn`t been off the camera since I got it (two days ago). I love it !! All that sweeping perspective and huge DOF. It`s like a breath of fresh air to my photography.
Incidentally, I dont take photos of test charts/corn flake packets or newspapers, but I LOVE the photos I`ve been getting from this lens (mainly autumn woodland scenes and a few interiors).
Though I haven`t yet got a hood for it I found very little evidence of flare even with the Sun in some of the shots (we had about 15 minutes of sunshine on sunday morning - the weather has been awful here in the UK).
I did find a little CA, mainly in the corners (definitely CA - not just sensor blooming), but only around strongly back-lit tree branches and such. NOT a huge problem in my opinion (hell this lens is WIDE after all.) There have got to be trade-offs.

Nov 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Terry G to your Buddy List
richardharris

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very low curvature or distortion at 10mm. Superb image quality
Cons:
Not quite as good as the 17-40L at equivalent focal length. Slightly soft full open. ??only for 300D and 20D

If you have one of the two cameras with which this works, there is nothing that even comes close to the wide images possible.
A little soft wide open, but how often is that going to be a problem. Curvature distortion is amazingly well controlled - especially when compared to Sigma 12mm.
I had considered selling my 17-40 but will probably keep it - need to do some more shots for comparison. I thing the 17-40 is marginally better at the 17-22 lengths.
For ultrawide, no contest though!
some test shots are: www.thelimes.co.uk/birds/can1022_10.jpg, can1022_17.jpg, can1022_22.jpg, can1740_17.jpg, can1740_24.jpg

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richardharris to your Buddy List

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM