Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

218 483510 May 9, 2014
EF10-22

• Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
• Lens Construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
• Diagonal Angle of View: 107° 30' - 63° 30'
• Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
• Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
• Zoom System: Ring USM
• Filter Size: 77mm
• Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

rodkar

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Lighweight, sharp pictures, opens up new composition possibilities
Cons:
Expensive (even I had waited for its price to drop), doesn't come with a hood

This is my third EF-S lens and my fourth lens since February this year. I first had the EF-S 17-85mm together with the 20D body. Then I had the EF 70-300MM DO, then the EF-S 60mm Macro, and finally I have decided to invest in this UWA just hours before my trip to Japan three weeks ago. I must say each new lens gives me some new surprises. I love them all. The shop that sold me the lens in Hong Kong didn't have the hood in stock, but I was able to get one in Osaka. It's angle of view is so wide, it does requires some getting used to.

Pictures at <a>href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodkar/sets/1314522/" target="_blank">here</a> (except my self-portraits which were shot with my cameraphone) were all shot with the lens. Some of them have to be cropped to correct distortion errors though (that's the time I wish I had 12million pixels to work with). All in all, an excellent lens. I read its price is dropping in many parts of the world, I'd recommend it to everyone with EF-S compatible body.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rodkar to your Buddy List
AviB

Registered: Jun 21, 2005
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, this lense is addictive
Cons:

I've been using a Tamron 18mm-200mm Di on my 20D. It's an OK zoom and was acceptable until I started using the Canon at the 10mm-22mm focal length. What a difference. Images are sharp, dramatic and rich in color, stunning. If that's what I can also expect from the 70mm-200mm IS USM L lense then I'll be buying that as well- would be interested in any comments on that.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AviB to your Buddy List
wei328

Registered: Oct 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, light, focual length, USM.
Cons:
Lose manual focual ring, soft at 17mm from f5 & above for this copy.

Just got this lens today. Did a little test indoor:

At 10mm is a little soft around the corner at f3.5, very sharp from f4.

At 17mm, it's very sharp at f4, but from f5-f8 is soft then sharp from f9.

At 22mm, it's very sharp at f4.5 but little soft at f8

Overall, very good lens, perfect for 1.6x crop cameras.

Oct 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wei328 to your Buddy List
photomarvin

Registered: Sep 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focal range, weight, and sharp, sharp pictures!
Cons:
EF-S mount only, price

By far the best lense I own as far as quality. I bought this from a fellow FMer while in Chicago and was very impressed with the way my pictures turned out. Very fun lense for a 1.6x crop DSLR owner. Of course, as of now, it only works on 300D, 350D and 20D. If you need UWA and you own one of these cameras you owe it to yourself to give this a try!

Oct 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photomarvin to your Buddy List
lazy

Registered: Aug 5, 2004
Review Date: Oct 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light and relatively compact. Sharpness and contrast is good, even if a little softer at 10mm. Quitet USM adds to the great overall feeling.
Cons:
Focus ring closer to camera mount and zoom ring at the front which feels akwkward. It's an EF-S.

Oct 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lazy to your Buddy List
Tony_Baloni

Registered: Sep 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build but still light. Very sharp at nearly ALL apertures. You can MAKE pictures out of nothing with this lens as it's so wide. Colour and Contrast is handled well.
Cons:
It doesn't fit my film body... so I'll need a 17-40mm too... Ha ha ha.

I'd like to add my name to the growing list of people who think this is an L lens in disguise. Mine is SHARP from f3.5 - f22 at the 10mm end and from f5.6 - f16 at the 22mm setting. Used in good light the pictures have almost to much contrast. As for distortion... there's practically none as it's so slight you have to try hard to find it. It's great using a WIDE lens again as the 24-70mm L was my widest before this purchase and this opens up new picture opportunities on my 20D.

I'm glad I had the "guts" to choose this over the 17-40mm L. Don't worry about the L lens being better as the 10-22mm couldn't be any sharper in my book. I'm also "lucky" enough to own a 70-200mm F4L and 300mm F4 L IS so I know a decent lens when I see one. This little lens sits well with the others and completes the range for me.

I may be "preaching to the converted" as the saying goes... but I've found the L zoom lenses to be sharper than the Nikon Primes I used in the past. The 24-70mm F2.8 L is incredible... but that's for another review.

Buy on of these... soon.

Oct 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tony_Baloni to your Buddy List
Christobel

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP!!! Beautiful deep rich colors, excellent contrast, light and fast.
Cons:

Although this is a terrific wide-angle landscape lens, beware that close-up shots may take your breath away. Simply stunning lens, which has become my favorite. It should be designated an "L". Very highly recommended.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Christobel to your Buddy List
richardho11

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Its WIIIIIIDE!!! Its Tack Sharp, Nice Colors without PS, Light Weight and Fast USM!
Cons:
None!

This has got to be another one of my all time favorite lenses!! It has saved me so many times from taking the most beautiful shots that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I would most definitely NOT leave home without this lens!! You can never go wide enough. All of my landscape shots are just breathtaking when using this lens! Its sharp sharp sharp! This lens was said to be "L" quality in sharpness! But because it is an EF-S lens, they did not give it that name. I truly believe that. I also own a 35L, 24-70L, 70-200L and a 100-400L and this 10-22mm can most definitely hang with the best of them! Besides, if you want the best ultra wide there is no other competition in my opinion but the Canon 10-22! Sure you pay for it in price, but its worth every penny! Every photographer has to have one of these puppies in their bag!

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richardho11 to your Buddy List
bkriete

Registered: Mar 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $595.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide as you can get on a 1.6 body, useful (to me) zoom range, good optical quality, nice build, I love USM
Cons:
Expensive, requires slim filters

I purchased this lens expecting to use it mostly at 10mm for fun super-wide-angle shots and landscapes. I have actually used it all through the zoom range, probably at 22mm just as much as 10.
I find 10mm (16mm equivalent) too wide for most landscapes, however it is great in portrait orientation for vertical features like canyons, waterfalls, mountains and trees. I also use it indoors in museums, etc, to capture the entirety of an exhibit or artwork from close range without including too many bystanders. At 22mm (35mm equiv) it makes a nice lens for group pictures or environmental portraits and the typical "wideangle distortion" (where close objects look huge) isn't objectionable to me. A much more versatile lens than I expected, even though I am not using it as I intended upon purchase.

Oct 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bkriete to your Buddy List
Al_10D

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good colors and contrast, sharp even wide open.
Cons:

I replaced 17-40L with 10-22 and never look back.

Oct 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Al_10D to your Buddy List
Wren

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light and W-I-D-E! Nice colors and contrast. Almost has an "L" quality to it. Well built. It's a fun lens to own if you have a 1.6x crop camera.
Cons:
Cost more than an EF-17-40L which comes with hood and pouch.

I have the EF 24-70 f/2.8L lens. I love it -- but on occasions like architecture, interiors, and landscapes, it's not wide enough. I debated between the EF 17-40L and this lens. When I took test shots in the camera store, the ef-s proved to be the lens I'm looking for ( 16-35 equivalent on FF ). I bought it and no regrets. If you're looking for w-i-d-e this is the one. I like that this lens is light in weight, but felt solid. Highly recommended.

Sep 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wren to your Buddy List
smaniscalco

Registered: Dec 11, 2003
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $585.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 10mm! Nice size and weight. Very easy to hand hold at slow shutter speeds. This helps stop it down for max DOF. Fast and silent focus.
Cons:
List price. No hood included! Dang Canon! Include the $4 piece of plastic with your $600+ lens! A soft case wouldn't kill you either....

I got mine at the Dell bargain price of $580. I planned to use it on a vacation and sell it when I returned. Famous last words!
I can't let go of this lens.
To be honest, it's the 10mm aspect that I'm so in love with. If I get a chance to test a Sigma 10-20 and find it adequate, I'll sell this one to recoup the difference in price.

I've not tried this lens wide open, that's not what I bought it for. I stop it down to f/20 or so and make use of the foreground.

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smaniscalco to your Buddy List
Dergiman

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Location: Austria
Review Date: Sep 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: great image quality, small, rather light
Cons:
no hood included, for 1,6x only (but we know this already, don΄t we?)

just received it...

the impression so far is very good indeed!!! thought it is not as wide as i thought it is (i guess it is 80° horizontally). but i was very surprised about the image quality! i am spoiled by by 17-40L so i expected iq to be less good, but i think it is better!!! i am truly amazed by the wide open sharpness at 10mm and f3.5!!!!

the build quality is good, but not as good as an L.

Sep 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dergiman to your Buddy List
lb311

Registered: Aug 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Essential wide-angle for 1.6x cameras; L-like performance.
Cons:

This lens is spectacular on a 20D or Rebel. Hard to tell it apart from an L-series in terms of color saturation and sharpness.

I love to use it to distort foregrounds and with landscapes. Sometimes, I do wish it had a bit more length than 22mm (i.e. a 24 or 28 would have been ideal), but you can always switch to a longer lens for that range, whereas there's nothing else available for ultra-wide work on a 1.6x camera.

Sep 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lb311 to your Buddy List
alfarmer

Registered: Aug 15, 2005
Posts: 2046
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, reasonably priced, good build quality, 77mm filter size (common with my other L glass), SUPER-CRISP images even at f/3.5, and wide enough to do some really special work.
Cons:
Should have been an f/2.8. Speed, Canon, we need more speed! :-)

What can I say? This lens rocks!

On my 20D this lens is as sharp as the 17-40L most of the time, and sometimes sharper. Presumably this means it's an L but not an L because it's EF-S. It even has the common 77mm lens cap size, so you know Canon knows that we DSLR owners with an affinity for L glass are looking for a super-wide to add to our toolkit.

If you're looking for something wider than 17mm on a 1.6x lens, this lens is (IMHO) reasonably priced for the quality you get. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

ALF

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alfarmer to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, light
Cons:
Maybe price and the unknown regarding EF-S future.

Had this lens for 7 months or so now and it has been a treat to use both outdoors and for indoor creativity. I can't knock this lens much at all apart from the fact that it took 2 months for the hood to be available from Canon (oh, and the hodd only really works for flare control and not good for protecting the lens).

I like the fact parts/barrels do not move when zooming/focussing - no dusting getting inside this one easily. The lens works perfectly with my 20D just as the needed.

Aug 17, 2005