200 204997 Dec 4, 2009

- Advanced Viewing and Printing, Powerful Software
- Compatible with all EF/EF-S Lenses and Many EOS System Accessories

joezasada

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: May 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: High Resolution, super fast AF, super burst rate, very fast shutter response, no lag after a shot or burst, awesome in low light and at high ISO, great battery life, awesome dynamic range with RAW files. Best camera in the sub-$2000 category. anything better would cost a lot more. EF-S 10-22mm makes the 1.6X crop a non-issue.
Cons:
viewfinder is small and dim, BG-E2 is OK at best but nothing fancy, it's not as nice as an EOS-1 series but costs way less!

A great camera. The 1-series SLRs are better but they cost a ton more...

This camera is the best in it's class. RUN, don't walk, to the camera store and get one NOW. If you are wondering if this is a good camera I say YES... go buy one and start shooting!

May 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joezasada to your Buddy List
a1wilson

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Review Date: May 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, good quality pics, flexible
Cons:
Heavy, sometimes menus can be baffling

I came to this Digital SLR after a long line of Canon Cameras, all good in their own way AE1, T90, EOS 5. This is really good to use, at least as good as the 5. Image quality is excellent even at high ASA steeings (though not as stunning as at ASA100). The internal flash is not as good as the 5, though (Picky or what). What i really like is the feeling of having almost any film I want in the camera at any time, turn up the sensitivity, turn down th contrast, less saturated skintones etc, etc, cacn anybody tell me the settings for "Vericolor". I use a 17-40L mostly, but have a 28-105 from the EOS 5 which is much lighter, and a 70-210 (all Canon) which gives brilliant range with 1.6 "magnification" but the quality, I took it on an Under 8's rugby tour, one pic made it worth the money!

May 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add a1wilson to your Buddy List
JP Photo

Registered: May 16, 2005
Review Date: May 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, Great with low noise on all ISO settings
Cons:
Loud shutter, not good indoors and churchs it echos a lot, makes 10D seam silent.

May 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JP Photo to your Buddy List
zync

Registered: Nov 25, 2003
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,342.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality even with the kit 18-55mm, Very low amount of noise even at ISO 3200, at least as good as film with long exposures, very very fast
Cons:
It could definitely use a split-prism focusing screen...that's the only thing I miss between it and my AE-1 besides having unique controls for each function (like shutter speed dial, aperture rings on lenses, etc.)...maybe I just need to get better vision?

This is my first digital SLR. That said, I'm not a stranger to film SLRs. While I love to shoot and process film, I don't have my own darkroom. Thus the 20D has to fill the void. And man does it fill it.

First of all, you rarely have to use the flash. Images are still crisp at ISO 3200, with very low noise. Night photography is just as good as with my AE-1, except I can see the results immediately. While the 20D has noise reduction for long exposures (via C.Fn 02), it really doesn't need it. The 20D has very little problem with noise, and virtually none if you scale the image down.

This camera is super quick. It takes way longer to remove the lens cap than it ever takes to get the camera started up. You are never waiting with the 20D (unless you have that noise reduction enabled, then you wait 2x as long as the exposure time). 5fps is incredibly fast. 1/8000 of a second is incredibly fast.

While I realize that a 30D might be coming out in less than 6 months, I really could care less. Unless I need to make extremely huge prints, this camera suits me very well. It's within the range of my abilities and the subjects I shoot. With this camera, if you miss a shot or mess it up, it's your fault. Then again, maybe that's just me as I shoot almost exclusively fully manual Smile

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zync to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: May 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,352.15 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast Autofocus, 5 fps, custom functions, available lense selectons, 9 point focus selection, nice size and heft, did I mention fast auto focus!!!
Cons:
no iso reading in viewfinder, single or all erase function, even my f828 lets me select multiple files.

This is my first digital slr. I tried the d70 and decided I liked the 20d better. I haven't regretted my decision, this is a very good camera.
Most of the articles don't do it justice. You just have to try it for yourself. I've had this camera for 2 months now and have taken over 2400 pictures. I bought it with the 18-55 kit lense when dell had a sale. It's not a bad lense, I basically got it for free.
I have added 3 Tamrons to the mix and the results have been great. I bought the 17-35, 28-75 and a 75-300 till I can get my sigma 70-200. I also bought the bg-e2 since I've got large hands the grip made all the difference in the world for a steady grip with the 75-300.
I also bought the 580ex flash, it took some reading and practice to get the most from the flash but the time was well worth it.
I shot a wedding as the second photographer with it about a month ago. I used the 28-75 for the most part. All the pictures came out great.
I'm in the process of getting some studio light to do more portrait work as I've had a lot of requests for my photo work.
If you're in the market for a new digital slr this is the one to get, most bang for the buck.
Don't be afraid to try the third part lenses especially the Tamrons I mentioned the are a great value and good stuff also.

May 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
RMA1

Registered: May 8, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Adds balance the light 20D and gives a good grip especially if you have big mitts like me.
Cons:
A little bit too 'plastic' does not give me confidence that it will see the camera out.

Hi to everyone, first time ever on any kind of forum. I have recently made the change over to digital, still have the EOS5 but sold the 1V in order to purchase the 20D and grip. The thing is that one of the reason's I was looking forward to using the BG2 grip was for the ability of using AA sized rechargeable batteries. Not sure whether or not I have bought a 'dud' grip but my grip does not operate more than 10 shots on a fully charged set of batteries. The battery charger is a brand new Hama Delta with microprocessor to avoid cooking the batteries and a new set of Hama 2400mAh. The grip works fine with the one 511 battery. I have tried the grip with another set of batteries and the batteries in another grip at the shop. neither grip worked with either set of batteries. Any one out there met with a similar problem ??

May 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RMA1 to your Buddy List
brettmoen

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: May 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Fast, easy to use, i like the feel
Cons:
I wish the LCD was bigger

I bought it in September I didnít use it al all at first I was still stuck on film but I slowly got used to digital and now Iím like %20 digital and %80 film. Itís really hard to go from a 4x5 to a digital SLR.

May 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add brettmoen to your Buddy List
Panthera

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: May 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: ultrasharp, nice colors, everything
Cons:
none I can think of

This camera was, for me, an upgrade from the digital rebel/300D. This camera is so much better than I hoped for.

With my 300D I had a EF 28-135 IS USM lens and I was saving for a better lens (EF 24-70) to be sharper. But putting this lens on my 20D I realised that the lens is perfect, it was the camera that was not so sharp.

The 20D with EF 28-135 are a perfect, affordable team for the demanding non-pro photographer.

Compared to the 300D this camera is very, very quick. Mine also can handle methering much better then the rebel. Contrast is better, less pictures are overexposed in the sky or underexposed in front.

I have this camera for a week now, and I'm totaly in love with it. Think I'll never want another camera then this one.

Highly recommanded.

May 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Panthera to your Buddy List
canon20Dphoto

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Apr 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great Feel, solid body, outstanding color, simple enough for a amature yet professional quality
Cons:

For all who are looking for a great camera for the price, there is no other camera out there for you. This comes from someone who's tryed many cameras in the same class (Nikon, Fuji, Minolta SLR's) This camera's image quality is night and day with thoes other cameras. This camera is so amazing.

To be honest, I was prepared to pay more for a truly professional camera like the D2x or Canon's Mark II, but for what I do, which is just some weddings, small sporting events, mostly just taking great pictures to impress my friends.... the 20D was all I needed. When I got it, it took me a while to settle down into it from the Rebel but the transition was smooth. Now I have a stair way full of really cool, colorfull (and great black and white) pictures that all my neighbors call "Franks hall of fame".

My only regret was getting that blame 18-55mm USM lense that came with it. For thoese of you looking to get one, save you pennies and get the EFS 17-85 IS USM. You will thank me later. Check out the website for some examples.

Apr 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add canon20Dphoto to your Buddy List
angelomb3

Registered: Apr 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, instant, spot on exposure at P mode, great color rendition, professional build quality
Cons:
had a prob with underexposure, but calibration fixed it

Really love taking pics with this DSLR.

Graduated from a coolpix5700 which had a defective sensor after 2 yrs. didnt have it repaired bec it was too expensive.
Was about to buy a D70 but changed my mind when a customer returned his D70 in the same time i was at the camera store bec of defects..

Back to my 20D, it takes great pics. had time getting used to the softness of Canon but when i fixed my workflow in photoshop got the hang of it and was actually better because i didnt over sharpen my pics.

Had a prob though with underexposure so had it calibrated in our local Canon service center and it actually came out better. My 420EX which i bought same time as the camera had a prob with sync so had it adjusted too..

Today both work fine and in spite of it all, glad i bought this camera.

ISO 1600 is awesome, shot a open air stage dance presentation at night and came up with really great pics with and without flash.

The battery life is awesome too..Had to cover a village event with my camera club members from morning till night shooting exhibits and all, i was the last man standing at night. Most of them had no dead batteries and some had no more film or memory.

The 420EX works best at a +1 setting on the flash compensation otherwise pics look underxposed.

Overall im happy with its performance.

Apr 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add angelomb3 to your Buddy List
jimdavies

Registered: Apr 5, 2005

Pros: Pretty easy to use, controls all easy to get used to (I just need to learn what Iím doing!), Superfast startup and image preview, excellent battery life, good solid professional feel, very fast 5fps, size is very comfortable (350D too small even for my small hands), excellent ISO range and low noise, great 8.2 MP pictures, rear dial and joystick pretty easy to use (once you get used to them), fairly good pop-up flash, speed for read/write to CF (with Ultra II I can shoot over 30 frames before buffer slows things down), Raw+Jpeg is a great bonus, good number of standard shooting modes (creative/Basic zones) 1st time user can pick up immediately.
Cons:
LCD screen not great in strong sunlight and 2Ē would be better, although this is camera may be lighter than other DSLRs, if you have not used a digital SLR before (my previous camera was a Canon S45) this camera (with a smallish lens) is still pretty heavy!, no spot metering, no iso in viewfinder, for me most pictures need PS tweaks (may be lens or my lack of experience).

I have used a small digicam for a couple of years (Canon S45) which got me very interested in photography. I started to read a number of websites (especially the FM reviews and forums) to learn as much as I could and knew that soon I'd have to upgrade to a DSLR. I almost purchased the 350D when it came out but I decided in the end to buy the 20D (helped by the fact I made a £300 saving on Ebay!).

I'm glad I did. I've had the camera only a few days but already have taken some fantastic portraits and landscape shots along with my Sigma 18-125mm lens which I purchased instead of going for the 18-55 kit lens. (I also await delivery of a 50mm f1.8)

Startup is superquick, AF is very fast and the AF control is simple to use with the small joystick. The speed of the burst mode is outstanding! The camera is very easy to use in basic zone mode and a total beginner could pick up the camera and use almost immediately. The creative mode requires a little more knowledge and a bit practice is required. You do especially need to make sure that you check your ISO setting constantly (I left mine on 1600 for the first 2 hours of shooting in bright daylight! Not a lot of noise problems though which is pretty good - Just my inexperience showing I think.

The camera itself feels very comfortable in the hand (if a little heavy). The 350D is way too small. The buttons on the 20D are all fairly easy to use onc you know what each does and although the joystick can intially be tricky, a little practice makes perfect. The menu is also easy to navigate and the speed at which the camera allows you to review photos is amazing.

I've actually also been impressed with the camera's flash (having been used to only the small one on the S45). Once I get used to using the camera I think I will purchase a 420EX or a Sigma 500 DG Super.

I'm learning as I go along with this camera and I'm not sure what type of photography I want to focus on yet - portrait, macro, landscape - I like photographing anything and the 20D so far has been a fantastic camera to use.

Another massive plus is the battery life. I was continually charging batteries for my S45. Now it's two or three days of shooting before I have to charge a battery!

The CF door to me is not too bad. I know a few people have remarked on this but it would take a bit of a knock to accidentally open this. What I don't like is the rubber video out cover. Seems a little cheap but not a real concern.

So far I'm delighted I purchased this camera and I look forward to many happy years using it. I want to enjoy my photography and I look forward to all your help!!!

Regards
Jim

Apr 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimdavies to your Buddy List
Doc_Brown

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,369.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast startup, easy controls, excellent battery life, solid feel
Cons:
DOF Preview button is in a clunky place, no ISO reading in viewfinder, strap leaves something to be desired, the "joystick" is a pain to use. Yes, these are very nitpicky items. Not enough for me to give this a low rating.

Keep in mind that I haven't used an SLR for over 20 years, so I'm effectively a newbie. It was a toss up between the Rebel XT and 20D. I'm glad I chose the 20D.

I was very impressed by the feel of the camera when I took it out of the box. Although it's heavy in comparason to the advanced compacts, it's comfortable to hold and use. I walked around with it for 4 hours last weekend, most of the time hanging around my neck. Controls were easy enough to find the basics (manual mode, shutter, aperture) in about 10 minutes w/o the manual. Ten more minutes got me in deep enough to spend an afternoon shooting all sorts of stuff.

I honestly have more to learn about the nuances of my lens than the camera, which is frankly the way it should be. The few items I don't like are far outweighed by the positives. This is a great camera, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Apr 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doc_Brown to your Buddy List
hexentanz

Registered: Apr 10, 2005
Review Date: Apr 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice, Fast, Great AF.
Cons:

Having gotten this camera only 4 days ago, i am nothing but happy with it so far, it feels very solid unlike my previously owned 300D (which i returned after two days of owning).

Would be an Easy camera for new slr owners.

Great placement of controls.

Apr 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hexentanz to your Buddy List
HENIEK

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Apr 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,369.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: All I expected a top notch DSLR to be
Cons:
NONE

Dont be put off by some of the nitpicking reviews, if you are after first class dslr go for it.
Got the camera from Adorama 3 days ago, taken close to 1000 pics in 3 days, amazing image quality with my Tamron 28-75 XR DI
Mine is with 1.1.0 firmware.
Battery life is very good.

Apr 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HENIEK to your Buddy List
Zagisis

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Apr 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Quick startup, smaller size, intutive hand controls, 5 FPS, Optional Battery grip. Wide ISO range. 8.5 MP, Strongly built.
Cons:
Picture quality okay, Nikon D70 better, Appears color flat. Needs constant PS/CS tweaking. Formating and deleting buttons can improve. File counting system screwy.

Quickly moved from Nikon D70 to the Canon D20, simply because the D70 was too slow. Canon's D20 has many good features. 5 FPS is good enough for now. I am sure the sibling to this camera is already being created.

Apr 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zagisis to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built tough!, Light weight, Good high ISO picture quality.
Cons:
Small viewfinder.

I have had this camera since it was released and have been very impressed with it!

It is well built, has a quick autofocus and the picture quality is excelent, expecally when using higher ISO's!

I find it to be a bit small without the optional battery grip expecally when using longer lenses but some ppl prefer the smaller size of the camera so either way it can suit everyones tastes.

The alloy body can take some real punishment compared to the plastic 300/350D models.

Overall this is a excellent camera to own! If you are thinking of getting one then Yes definitly! much better than the current 350D model!

Mar 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List

200 204997 Dec 4, 2009