200 205039 Dec 4, 2009

- Advanced Viewing and Printing, Powerful Software
- Compatible with all EF/EF-S Lenses and Many EOS System Accessories

Se7enUK

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good all round camera
Cons:
No spot metering, small RAW buffer

Had mine 2 months and very pleased with it.

Aug 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Se7enUK to your Buddy List
grenadier

Registered: Jul 28, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Has to be features, for the money, it's the best available.
Cons:
Lacks spot metering

My 20D had an ill-fitting body part join where the base is joined to the back. The join tapered from tight to a 1/32" gap. The earthing strap could be seen through this 'chasm'!

Canon UK advised me to return the product. I elected to have it adjusted at a Canon Service Center. They said it was a very common 20D problem that is often associated with a Focus issue that manifests itself when using large aperture lenses f2.8 and up.

My 20D was inspected, the shutter was checked, the focus calibrated and the body parts adjusted.

I now have the assurance that my 20D is in tip top shape and conforms to Canon's 20D specifications!

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grenadier to your Buddy List
ranmandx

Registered: Jul 9, 2005
Review Date: Jul 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Controls, size, build, magnesium, resolution, menu
Cons:
Quality control,

Aside from the couple DOA's i've had ( 1 completely DOA, the other poor focusing and crooked hot shoe mount ) the controls and handling of the camera are great, i also have the BG-E2 which i use when i'm having a flash on the unit to get a more secure grip otherwise i like the body without it when going out recreational shooting. Size is perfect for the hands and the grip is just fat enough. The BG-E2 grip is a little too large though, doesn't feel as comfortable as the 1 series.

Resolution is great out of the camera the WB adjustment is great for color compensation in the field, raw + jpeg is a great feature with separate files, intuitive control layout means i never have to take my eye from the viewfinder when shooting.

Great high ISO noise particuarly at 800 where i shoot without flash most of the time, it gives you greater flexibility in choosing aperatures to achieve the desired feel, extremely fast shutter speed also helps with the previous point.

Great camera over the XT / 350D and a much more beefier build makes you feel more comfortable attaching larger lenses and large flash units. Looks like a tool as opposed to a toy.

Jul 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ranmandx to your Buddy List
IPCINC

Registered: Jun 2, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,070.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast shutter speeds, easy menu system, good upper ISO performace (best at 800 or lower), size, USB 2.0 = FAST!, good auto focus (especially with lenses 2.8 & faster, good battery life, illuminated info LCD, nice tracking auto focus for panning and moving objects, DOFP, easy controls.
Cons:
Very few. No spot meter. No ISO in the VF. Equipped with factory installed dust on sensor (no big deal, just kinda lame).

This is my first DSLR. I've had Nikon mount film SLR's before this and I love the EOS system now. This is a great camera for those of us that can't justify (or don't make their living via photography) the 1 series cameras. It really does it all (almost - see below). I love the fast shutter. Picture quality is top notch especially if you use RAW workflow. I've just been getting into that more seriously. I bought the EF-S 17-85 IS at the same time and they make a great pair. Perfect lens to hold me over until I get something faster. I advise getting an EF 50 f1.8 as one of your first lenses. It really is a great lens for the price.

Overall, I love this camera, but nothing is perfect... Here is what I'm less than pleased with:

NO SPOT METER! (Even my old Nikon N70 had spot) Urrrrg. As many people have pointed out, it would be nice to see the ISO speed in the view finder. That's it! Highly recommended.

Jul 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IPCINC to your Buddy List
danks

Registered: Apr 5, 2002
Review Date: Jul 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, autofocus system, magnifier button and joystick function for previews, button for fast ISO selection.
Cons:
I just can not justify the cost of a Mk II body now as the 20D really offers so much of the same performance at so much less cost. (Jokingly offered as a "negative aspect.")

I bought a pair to replace my D60 bodies. A worthy upgrade in every respect. Both bodies have been fine . . . no "freeze ups," no BG-E2 problems on the one with the grip, no significant problems at all really.

Jul 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danks to your Buddy List
limbiksys

Registered: Jun 13, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid Build, Quality Images, EOS Flexibility, USB 2.0, Excellent in low-light
Cons:
Folders on CF Card

Solid build, outstanding quality digital images, extreemly flexible.
I bought it with the kit lens and sold that, replacing it with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. This camera is ideal in every situation I have used it in. My only complaint is that it creates a folder on the cf card every 100 shots and while that may be designed to make things easier, I find myself constantly irritated with it and have to format the card constantly to get rid of the old folders. However, that is a very minor issue compared to the good things this camera provides.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add limbiksys to your Buddy List
elshaneo

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Review Date: Jul 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Semi-Professional lightning fast SLR digital camera, Excellent Image Quality, Very User-friendly to operate i.e: Perfect backup for the Canon professional DSLRs
Cons:
Shutter a bit too loud

Since Ive been a previous owner of the Canon EOS 10D for a bit more than a year, with comparisons I must admit that the Canon EOS 20D sets new standard in its class.

This camera incorporates the latest Canon Digic II processor which delivers lightning fast camera operation and performances especially in image playback, image saving, autofocus and shooting speed. The battery life is truly the best and the amazing build quality is the same as the Canon EOS 10D i.e: very tough and solid but also a bit smaller and lighter too.

The output image quality of the 8.2 Megapixels CMOS sensor is really excellent but highly dependent on the optical qualities of the attached lens i.e: Sharp results will be obtained provided that you use very high quality optical grade lenses such as Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L, Tamron SP 28-75 f/2.8 Di etc

The camera is also very easy and intuitive to operate, it is indeed like second nature using it. Im also very happy to notice that Canon kept the best from the Canon EOS 10D and added new great features to make the Canon EOS 20D even better.

Overall, Im really pleased to have bought it because it gave me more satisfaction as freelance photographer to use it on the field compared to the Canon EOS 10D which was also an excellent camera, but the Canon EOS 20D is awesome in speed and performance. In brief, it is a baby Canon EOS 1D Mark II.

I also believe that the Canon EOS 20D is the best semi professional Digital SLR camera in its category. It is certainly for now the perfect backup Digital SLR to the professional Canon Digital SLRs i.e: Canon EOS 1D Mark II and Canon EOS 1Ds MarkII. Kudos to Canon ;-)

Problems with the Canon EOS 20D:

The famous lock up problems did not occurred yet, my camera has the firmware 1.1.0 installed.

There have also been reports of the viewfinder infos being too dim in bright light, I did not experienced this problem.

The one final problem is the shutter which is quite loud compared to the Canon EOS 10Ds shutter. Its not favourable to shoot in a quiet environment such as in a church celebrating a wedding etc

I nowadays have the following equipments:

Canon EOS 20D Digital SLR camera

Tamron 1.4X SP AF Tele-Converter

Canon Speedlite 550 EX Flash

Canon Speedlite 580 EX Flash

Jul 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add elshaneo to your Buddy List
tritone

Registered: Jul 5, 2005
Review Date: Jul 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, quality, low noise, almost everything...
Cons:
A better focusing screen for those of us who use manual focus from time to time... ISO speed in the viewfinder would be nice. The only physical aspect of the camera I don't like is the CF card door and battery door, which feels flimsy - especially compared to the build quality of the Olympus E1

After shooting film of all formats from 35mm to 8x10 I finally opted for my first DSLR about a year ago. I live in a small apartment now, have limited time, and no space for a traditional dark room.

My first DSLR was the Olympus E1. I fell in love with the speed and ease of digital photography - yet the noise level on my long exposure night photographs and resolution in general left me feeling I was making a huge comprimise in quality from shooting and scanning film.

If I had the moolah I'd opt for the 1Ds, or some medium format back. I don't have that kind of cash...

I sold my E1 and bought the 20D. Wow. Night photography with little or no noise compared to ugly color digital noise on the E1. It is just a great camera. I'm also happier with the quality of the images overall. I definitely see more detail/sharpness/resolution in the images from the 20D.

Its also a great entry level into all the fabulous Canon mount lenses, strobes, and other accessories out there. Sadly, there is a limited and very expensive set of choices for the E1.

I can't believe the price and level of quality and technology available now. It just blows me away. And the Canon 20D is simply an AWESOME value.

I since sold my 6x7 rangefinder and bought some more Canon glass. I'm holding onto my 645 and large format gear, but honestly finding little use for them lately...

Jul 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tritone to your Buddy List
milesd

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: picture quality, price, fast
Cons:
viewfinder and some other minor things

I have now the EOS 20D for 2+ months and I am very happy with it. However there are some things that aren't that excellent: I do not know why there are the Image zone features and the ability to shoot in bw. I understand that such features are nice and fully justified for the 350D but I doubt that someone who buys the 20D will use those gimicks. Instead Canon should have provided a better viewfinder and an ultrasonic CMOS Sensor cleaner, just like the one Olympus provides in their E-1. Nevertheless the 20D is the best camera you can get for that price.

Jun 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add milesd to your Buddy List
freelancer

Registered: Dec 6, 2003
Review Date: Jun 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Having used the camera for the last 9 months, I find it to be an excellent camera all round. If I wanted something with more capabilities (and don't mind a bigger and heavier camera), I would think the 1DsMkII would fit the bill.
Cons:
Battery grip issue (which has now been fixed)

Jun 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add freelancer to your Buddy List
kurtismayfield

Registered: Jun 15, 2004
Review Date: Jun 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Rapid startup time, fast/accurate focusing, superb resolution and very low noise (even at 1600 ISO), large memory buffer, 5 fps, 250volt flash sync, automatic dark frame subtraction, joystick, write speed w/ Ultra II.
Cons:
mirror lockup sequence, smallish LCD, lack of dual memory card capability & spot meter, slightly noisy shutter (but quieter than 1D), needs bigger RAW buffer, not as comfortable in my hand as the 10D.

Upgraded from the 10D in Nov.'04. Well worth it. The 20D teams well many lenses and that translates to a very enjoyable experience both at work and play.

Considering the loss of resolution when cropping full frame sensor photos to egual 1.6x uncropped sensor photos, I figure I'm ahead of the game in some ways

Highly recommanded.

Jun 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kurtismayfield to your Buddy List
skybound77

Registered: Jun 2, 2005
Review Date: Jun 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,885.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Simple to use in fully auto, ease of control in "creative zone", Very fast focus and shots, stop action ability
Cons:
LCD could be larger, may need an additional hard drive to store all your great photos.

We have had our 20D for a couple of months now. We have been extremely happy with it. We were stepping up from a point and shoot digital, so the differences have been drastic. With that said, it has been an easy transition also, using the 20D in full auto will get great quality shots and take some of the guesswork out for someone who is used to point and shoot. At the same time, all the controls that you want are also available for the photographer that understands and utilizes the features of a camera like this one. The pictures are great. A fast focus acquisition and fast shot time is essential with kids. We have the best pictures of our kids since we have gotten this camera. On the link below, the Daniel Stowe, Sunday Walk, and Flippin out are with the 20D.

My Photos

I would highly recommend this camera to someone wanting the versatility to pretty much make a camera do whatever they want it to.

Jun 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add skybound77 to your Buddy List
evanbenlian

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Jun 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very fast camera overall .. fast AF ..reviewing ..startup ..love the 5fps ..easy to use .
Cons:
no ISO reading in viewfinder ... poor AWB when shooting indoors with incandescent lights.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add evanbenlian to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 1, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

*NOW* the 20D is back on Canon's website!

Odd .............................................

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List
John Maitland

Registered: Jul 25, 2004
Review Date: Jun 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The 20d is still on Canon's Site! It is really one of the best photographic deals ever. A GREAT Camera.
Cons:
Whoever said the camera was being discontinued must be in error.

Run, do not walk, to get one of these wonderful instruments. One would hope they will come out with a 12mp version someday. It has been wonderful for casual photgraphs, "fine" art (whatever that is) and with the Photoshop "photomerge" you can make very good reproductions and panoramas.

Jun 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Maitland to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reasonable price for such incredibly high performance digital imaging capabilities. What else is there to say?
Cons:
None really. Not any more than any other digital camera body.

Despite its killer capabilities, it appears that as of the end of May, 2005, this camera has been "deleted" from the list of Canon's active models.

See their website - www.canonusa.com - and it's no longer there!!! The 10D officially dropped off the website listing several weeks ago - now the 20D has slipped beneath the waves.

What's next, a 30D? A 40D?

When the Digital Rebel XT came out, that gave Canon three 8-ish MP camera bodies and the one in the middle - the 20D - was too consumer to be viable for the pro market (was it really?!?!?!) - and it was far too much of a "pro" camera to be attractive to consumers.

Therefore, I'll bet it was a case of the odd-man out and that means the 20D found itself without a valid market.

I got mine and that's all that matters. The images from it combined with an "L" lens never cease to amaze me!!!!!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List