200 206649 Dec 4, 2009

Page:  10 · 11 · 12 · 13

Carl Auer

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feel (compared to 300D), FPS speed, AF speed, 8.2 Megapixals, ISO noise low at 800 and above.
Cons:
Only one lock up. small RAW buffer. Would like to see ECF like the EOS 3 and Elan series cameras.

Awsome camera. Will use it for sports, wildlife and PJ work. Just awesome. First time I rattled off 5 frames in a second scared the crap out of me. It is soo cool. Not MKII cool, but pretty darn close.

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Carl Auer to your Buddy List
hqmhqm

Registered: Aug 28, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, instant power-up, 5 frames per second, good fast autofocus
Cons:
Heavier than the 300D, loud shutter

I sold my 300D which I had used for a year, and bought the 20D. The image quality is basically the same, the extra 2 MP don't really make much practical difference for the kind of pictures that I take at this point. But it's nice to have the higher resolution for the the future.

The images I take with the camera are not really distinguishable from the results I got with the 300D. I generally use the Parameter 1 setting for more saturated/sharpened JPEGs, and occaisionally RAW mode for special shots.

The feel of the 20D is obviously more solid and hefty than the 300D. It is a little better balanced feel with a large lens like like 28-135.

For me, the instant power-up was the best thing about this camera. I just leave it powered on with 1 min shutoff time now, and I can pick it up and shoot right away without that agonizing delay on the DRebel.

I haven't done any tests, but I swear that at a given ISO this camera has slower shutter speeds for my lenses than the DRebel did . I shoot indoors a lot, and I used to get away with the 50mm/1.8 with no flash in cases when I don't seem to be able to any more. I am probably just imaging things here, but that's how it seems.

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hqmhqm to your Buddy List
artemisphoto

Registered: Mar 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 8.2mp, instant startup, improved ISO performance, improved auto-focus, 1/250th sync speed, joystick for improved preview control, improved flash exposures.
Cons:
Occasional problems with lock-up. I have had to drop the battery to "reboot" the firmware. Still no spot metering. There is no reason why they couldn't do spot meter on this camera.

This camera had made me rethink owning a Mark II. From a fininacial perspective, I personally can't justify the Mark II. Sure the Mark II is a work of art to have and to hold, but the 20D is not far enough behind on image quality and performance that I could justify keeping the Mark II. I will probably sell my 10D in favor of a second 20D. A great camera with very few disappointments. The 20D CAN give you professional results and what's more is you can be profitable with a tool like this.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add artemisphoto to your Buddy List
noeljackson

Registered: Aug 13, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very nice build, like the 10D but smaller. Fits perfectly in hand.
Cons:
Still has the "auto-modes". Not supported in many RAW programs officially.

I really do love the 20D. However I have a few problems with it. 1) Shadow detail seems to be grainier than on the 10D (maybe that is just me). 2) The battery grip is god awful, took clunky. 3) there are still those "auto-modes" Other than that, I can honestly say that this camera is like a 1D MK II with a smaller price tag. One thing that is amazingly improved over the 10D is the preview speed. I've made some wonderful pictures with it already and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add noeljackson to your Buddy List
kativstudio

Registered: Aug 27, 2002
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast response, Fast autofocus, More accurate autofocus, Low noise at high ISOs, 5 FPS, Fast read/write speed, 8Mpixel
Cons:
Cheap looking box, but who cares about the box, right? :) ISO not in viewfinder, and viewfinder is still not up to the brightness of my film camera N90s

Coming from D30 -> Digital Rebel -> 20D

D30 was great, but had lack of low light autofocus.
Digital Rebel was much better camera with better autofocus system with Digic chip + 6mpixels. I didn't get the 10D because I knew Rebel was almost as good as 10D in many aspect... and for a lot cheaper... with high resale value because the $999 price was already low. Now I have sold my rebel and got 20D and it's pretty much all I had hoped for in a camera in this price range. Before 20D annouced, I also got Nikon D70, but it had back focus issues, and although the camera performance was much better than Digital rebel, I didn't think the image quality was any better than the Rebel. So I kept my Rebel, and now 20D is the winner at this time. If you have Rebel, and thinking of upgrading, don't think of a second. Worried about the shutter sound? Well, it's little bit noisier than the Rebel, but I like it. It feels strong, and sounds like it's built well and sturdy. 20D is not much for a candid camera, but that's what $200 point-n-shoot camera is for. Excellent Canon!!! Again.

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kativstudio to your Buddy List
Jeff Hall

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast (er than 10D and Rebel), low noise at high ISOs (1600 easily printable with no filtering), great design. Controls easily accessible, except mirror lockup.
Cons:
Small histogram review--would like a 3 color histogram overlay, hopefully a firmware update will bring it. Mirror lockup requires custom function, kind of annoying.

For the price point, a great camera. My camera history was Elan 7E to Digital Rebel to 20D...I loved the Elan, felt it was an extension of my eye, but with the Rebel never felt that way. Finally with the 20D I feel like shooting is easy again and I can concentrate on the SHOT; the tool doesn't limit me like the Rebel did. It's a culmination of instant power-up, fast AF/shutter response, and ergonomics.

Yes, I would prefer the features of the 1Ds MkII, but my wife and children have a bad habit of wanting "food" and "shelter." So selfish...

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Hall to your Buddy List
Jim Cowsert

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 9 point AF, 5 FPS, slightly smaller size than the 10D, almost instant start up, ability to choose adobe raw or sRGB in the raw mode. And more options on file size.
Cons:
No spot metering, ISO not in viewfinder. Viewfinder is a little dark when using the 1.4X with the 300 f/4.

So far I've been very pleased with the fast AF and instant startup from this camera. I can now leave the camera set to the 1 minute sleep mode and not worry about missing a shot waiting for the camera to wake up.
The AI Servo works very well and was able to track a baseball runner for a series of 20 shots with all in perfect focus.
I've noticed the the viewfinder is a little dark when using the 1.4X and my 300 f/4, something that I did not notice with the 10D.
The colors, sharpness, and contrast this camera produces is very nice and I'm finding that I'm doing less post processing on the files.

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jim Cowsert to your Buddy List
BlackTop

Registered: Sep 18, 2004
Review Date: Sep 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Better in almost all respects than the 10D. Faster and more accurate focus, better high ISO performance, 5 fps.
Cons:
STILL no ISO in viewfinder. STILL lose all pics in buffer if you open card door during writing.

The pinnacle of DSLR performance for the amatuer, and I'm sure many pros will pick up one as a second body.

Sep 26, 2004